let´s talk about the cross Ark transfer ...again...

Vaskur

One of my favourite books by Terry Pratchett, Long Earth, had a great idea that would be perfect for this game. Sadly I think it would breach copyright but one can dream. 

If you haven't read it then the basic concept is that somebody invents a "stepping machine", weirdly made out of potatoes, the machine can either be clicked left or right (east or west) and when clicked it "steps" the person to another earth in the direction it was clicked. Each earth is an exact copy of the last one but without human involvement, a fresh earth, the further they go in each direction the more unfamiliar the earths become. The catch being that every time they step they can't take anything made of metal with them, so on each new earth they have to start again. 

Ark should be something like this, the ability to move between servers is nice and opens the game up in a whole new way, but the ability to take anything with you like weapons, dinos and whatnot should totally be removed. If you wanna take over a new server then you should have to start fresh, material, weapon and Dino wise like everybody else that started on that server. 

Would also be nice if all servers where on one giant cluster with no server numbers and no way to skip to a specific server without travelling to the border or obelisk and moving to the next server in the cluster and so on, like the long earth idea above. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Comments like "I love the Tranfer" are useless for this diskussion, as long as you don´t mention why... just saying...

So, to mention my main problem with the transfer, imho it´s slowly killing primitive.

super tribes from far east are taking serve rby server, locking them up, keep gearing up and take more servers. Sometimes only because they think western people are inferior and they want to show them who is boss...

due to the fact, that there are less primitive than full tech servers, a singe mega tribe hits even harder. And if you manage to beat them and raid one of their servers, they just take all of threir important stuff and transfer it to one of their other many servers... 
I really miss the old days, where Ark was settled on a single map and not a globald warfare simulator...

Transfers are a tricky paradigm. They can be exploited so easily with either maxing out a server or the duping glitch. I like the concept but I don't like how it's implemented.

The suggestion of transfer cooldowns is a good start. I'm also of the idea that they should partition the server slots so that 50 are server regular slots and 25 are transfer slots. That way they people who normally play on a server get priority to play on the server by having more slot dedicated for them, thus servers can't be 70/70 by invading tribes. I'm sure people will find a way around it but it will at least make it more difficult for cheese tactics.

Cross transfer is what brought us back to Ark.  Our initial server was pillared off.  We had a 10 foot by 10 foot area.  Behemoth gates blocked al major lanes of travel.  Essentially we couldn't do much of anything because of a few large tribes.   With cross ark, we were able to find a new server with plenty of room to grow.  The large tribes were chill and there is little to no drama.  Now that we are settled, we plan on building a new base on a different map.  If we had to start fresh, we probably wouldn't.

50 minutes ago, DeweyDecimal said:

Cross Server trading and breeding is my bread and butter on PvE. Take out transfers and you may as well kiss your players goodbye

I got no problem with transfer on pve servers. But for PvP it´s the worst...

49 minutes ago, USADave85 said:

Cross transfer is what brought us back to Ark.  Our initial server was pillared off.  We had a 10 foot by 10 foot area.  Behemoth gates blocked al major lanes of travel.  Essentially we couldn't do much of anything because of a few large tribes.   With cross ark, we were able to find a new server with plenty of room to grow.  The large tribes were chill and there is little to no drama.  Now that we are settled, we plan on building a new base on a different map.  If we had to start fresh, we probably wouldn't.

Pve i guess? same as above.

There should be an ingame penalty if you go to a server that is not in the same region as where u are irl. Lets say you live in NA and play on a NA server then everything would be the same as it is now.But if you transfer to a eu oc or asia server you should have a reduction in gathering, xp, taming, and maybe dmg, maybe a reduction to 80%. And the same would be for people not in NA who want to play on a NA server. Easy to implement and code and the debuff percentage can be adjusted as needed.

36 minutes ago, Woodsman said:

There should be an ingame penalty if you go to a server that is not in the same region as where u are irl. Lets say you live in NA and play on a NA server then everything would be the same as it is now.But if you transfer to a eu oc or asia server you should have a reduction in gathering, xp, taming, and maybe dmg, maybe a reduction to 80%. And the same would be for people not in NA who want to play on a NA server. Easy to implement and code and the debuff percentage can be adjusted as needed.

region lock should be a good solution.

Before the server transfer, game was complitely pve, except for alpha who wiped a tribe every now and then. After transfer game has got much more pvp aspect. Basically one can think the cluster as one big server.

As mentioned before there are two problems, server overflow and offline raiding. Solution to this is to add some kind of ORP and allow only 1 character / steam account, same tribe and alliace in all servers, max players in tribe and alliance, tribes would have one server set as home and servers would pass only 70% of foreing players or something like that to prevent flooding. Ofc this sounds complex and impossible to implement, but in games like ark domination is impossible to prevent, but it could be made more difficult.

i doubt that. From my experience, at the beginning, you had much pvp, because everyone at early game wanted your stuff. with proceeding into late game, pvp got more political. mostly not all the time and not for the purpose of raptoring people up. 

but wtih transfer its mostly just chinese trying to raptor up people by any means and claim the servers to shut out anyone who is not chinese. 

I'd gladly go back to cluster servers... (one of each map location)

Heck if a compromise was to take place (3 of each map location)

I support the idea of region locked servers, but leave some clusters open just for the folks who want world wide PvP. If World wide clusters are more popular then release more of these, but if region locked are more popular, release more of these...

-- Before server transfer, my Official PvP island map had a growing community, after... it looked more like a ghost town with all the ruins strewn about. I now know what happened to the original survivors on the map with all their ruins you can find dossiers in...

14 hours ago, Mendoza said:

-- Before server transfer, my Official PvP island map had a growing community, after... it looked more like a ghost town with all the ruins strewn about. I now know what happened to the original survivors on the map with all their ruins you can find dossiers in...

same on ours.

First attack wave came and most smaller tribes got wiped. Most tribes merged, people lost interest and small tribes couldn´t keep their bases safe enough and got wiped again an again. It´s just a place for big tribes now.... everyone else gets wiped.

I'd like to see it go to a more basic approach. Trading is very good, but for transfers, I'd like to see it only transfer the basics. Raw metal, wood, stone....blueprints for weapons...for Dino's, eggs. With the eggs I can't think of a situation for mammals though so its not a perfect plan. And for characters, when you transfer keep the same name but not the level.

Too many aggressive trolls server hop  and wipe out only the low levels. The new players. I don't see this game drawing in new players at launch with the current system in place. 

When it launches I would love for current servers to go into "legacy" cluster where people can't to in or out, while they add new servers with the new or current transfer system in place.

It would allow people to keep there hard work, while giving the option for people who want a completely fresh start, and new players, to get back into ark again.

Just my two cents after a few month break and wanting back in. 

On 31/05/2017 at 3:15 PM, Vaskur said:

I got no problem with transfer on pve servers. But for PvP it´s the worst...

Pve i guess? same as above.

I have to disagree. People are storing dinos on PVE servers (mainly island) because it provides protection. Hopefully the ORP may entice some people to bring their dino-garages back to their original SE and Center servers. 

And I get you trade, but at some point, how many rexes can you trade FFS ? I have someone on my server who literally breeds about 50 of them per week and sells a bunch. I'm not sure those putting effort in trading are always doing it per TOS of the game...some must find some rather lucrative financial incentive to do it. 

On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 8:00 PM, Volcano637 said:

They should completely get rid of cross ark. Like completely 

No, but it should be off by default and optional for people who run unofficial servers. I run my own server with large group of friends, and probably half of our players have brought in dinos from other servers. In fact, it's the only way some of them could be convinced to swap servers. We're all fine with it.

9 hours ago, MimiNuyasaka said:

No, but it should be off by default and optional for people who run unofficial servers. I run my own server with large group of friends, and probably half of our players have brought in dinos from other servers. In fact, it's the only way some of them could be convinced to swap servers. We're all fine with it.

sounds ok to me

8 hours ago, LittleKetchup said:

I like it mostly because I don't always have to start a new character on every server. Just transfer and play.

If it was just the Caracter, with some restrictions or whatever it would be a solution. but with all the tames and items you can take with you it´s poop...

12 hours ago, MimiNuyasaka said:

Sorry dude you are new so there was a misunderstanding. It's my fault that I forget that sometimes new people come to the forum lol 

anyways, I always talk about officials. Since I don't play on unofficial I don't see it as proper to give me opinion on unofficials since I don't play on them. I am with you though. I fully believe that unofficials should be able to do whatever they want since they are unofficial servers

I understand where a lot of you that are against transfers are coming from, however it seems everyone against transfers play pvp.  Again I can see the problem, however I play pve and a huge part of pve is trading, and being able to transfer is a huge part of that.  So either they need to change the server transfer option only for pvp, or if they insist on making a change across both modes as they seem to do, then the cluster option mentioned seems like the best choice.

On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 9:30 AM, johnm said:

With hundreds of official servers why not put them on a virtual grid of say 20 x 20 or 30 x 30 or whatever it may be.

The transfers will only happen through the map boundaries in effect creating a mega map that is hundreds of times bigger.

Mega tribes will have to control adjacent servers due to logistics.  

Their ability to project power will also be contained within a certain radius of their territory.

There could be zerging tribes but they would have to be migratory and it will be a challenge for them to roll over at will.

i agree.

I have played this game since 2015 when it was first released. I remember how PVP used to be back then. It was basically one large tribe on each server with 20 players killing everyone else. There was nothing the other tribes could do to fight them due to the numbers involved. Servers became boring PVE farming/breeding simulators where no one dared to attack the Alpha tribe.

Then along comes transfer and suddenly in an instant these Alphas were no longer the demi gods of the past. They found themselves fighting other Alphas, tribes of similar dimensions and mega tribes which are tribes encasing many alphas combined. All of a sudden the game became alive again, there was actual PVP happening. 

To return to the dark past would be a step in the wrong direction for this game. Transfers are a god send and help create new mmo like possibilities that expand and enrich the gameplay for all.

On 5/31/2017 at 4:49 PM, TheBanditKing said:

I personally like the cross ark transfers. Zerging tribes are a problem but it has also changed the dynamics of tribe politics on servers. No longer can an alpha really control a server without needing to include other clans on the server in an alliance. The alliances have grown as a result to protect servers from massive invasions. The downside is when a chinese zerg does come in, they purposely take up all server spots to keep people from joining the server to defend. The other con is that everyone names themselves 123 to avoid battlemetrics and tracking history. The devs need to fix this problem and need to remove the ability of steam names to be tracked with server history.

Having said that, I think the pros outweigh the cons. Hopefully they can make some adjustments to the system.

You can always do the unofficial thing or try cluster if you are worried about the zergs.

With regards to the 123 issue, all the devs need to do is have it output "123 (Player Name) has joined" instead of 123 has joined. 

Archived