Hyaenodon taming is ridiculous

pixelated13

So I think I've struck gold with Hyaenodon taming tonight. I chanced upon a lone 145 female and picked her up and took her back to camp. After several unsuccessful efforts taming her in a pen, out a pen, changing sizes of the pen, I finally found that when I got her in a 2x2 enclosure made of all walls she stood completely still. Didn't move an inch and let me crouch behind and tame her up nice and easily. To see if it was a fluke or not I went and grabbed another one and dropped him in. Entering into the enclosure via a ladder it took a few attempts to get myself in there without spooking him, had to leave render distance a few times to calm him, but when I did, sure enough he also stood completely still and let me tame him up. The key was to crouch before climbing the ladder so that I was already crouched when I dropped in behind him. If nothing else I now have a nice breeding pair of 145's, but I'll certainly be trying to tame up more with this method.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tamed three fairly  easy. I have a very large taming pen compared to some people here I use for medium and smaller dinos typically. Basically just created it using Stone Dino doors and made a large arena. I go to nearby mountains and bring a hydaedon down usually the alpha. I managed to get all 100+ tames with 90% or higher efficiency. No hyaenas spawn on the beach near the red woods where my base is currently at. Next I simply put on my ghillie and pet the hyaena. I watch the timer closely. You also don't want to get any closer than the max range needed to pet the hyaena. I few times I managed to spook it because I'd inch a little closer than usual. With the 104ish I was getting around 4% per pet so it was not bad at all. The hyenas as a pack are fun tames you can take them out and they pretty much wreck anything although I've only taken them cave diving as I find dino pathing to be a hassle even  outdoors. 

• 4 months later...

I'm play SP and tamed my first one on Rag yesterday. I did not wear a Ghillie suit or use any particular brew etc. Its quite simple and easy to tame.

I looked for a straggler. Once found I pet it and keep my distance until next pet opportunity then repeated.

I did noticed that when it was pet for the first time, it was more tricky to elude as it would turn and walk in my direction so I side stepped until I was facing his tail again.

Patience is the trick.

To be honest they aren't THAT hard to tame. All you need to make sure off is that you wipe off all the wild dinos in the entire area. Then you can start taming it, what I do is just follow it on it's side. Just make sure you don't come too close to it, even a bit of lag can make you hit the hyenodon and it will run away. Also once in a while the hyenodon will stop and that can make you hit it as well.

Just stay on it's side near it's ass and make sure you don't f*** it up ;)

I play unofficial PVE on a server that allows flyer carrying so I just pick the alpha of a pack with an Argentivis then drop it into my larger taming pen - which is just a 5 x 5 fence foundation on the beach, 2 walls high. 

Leave the area, put on my ghillie, use some bug spray then pet it on the backside, moving out of its way when it moves my way. Only once did I get too close and it aggro but flying out of render distance (straight up) and back seemed to calm it to try again.

I tamed five or so on official. I flew around on an argent, picked the alpha of a pack, brought it back to a tiny taming pen. The pen was just a stone foundation with one wall and a 1x1 on top of that, with open top and hatch frame floor (so whole structure is 2 high). The hard part was dropping them into the 1x1. Then I was able to pet them through the hatch frame. I did not put a trap door in it either and I had ghillie the whole time. 

Survivors, I have 3 Hyaenodons, I agree that they are hard to get. This is why I cheesed it. Just cheese it.

Here is how I did:

- Full set o Ghillie suit, no bug repellent. 

- Made a 6x2 enclosure (3 levels high)

On one side of the enclosure I placed 2 wooden cages next to each other. I would grab the little Hyaenos with a flyer and drop them off in this enclosure. I would then enter the enclosure on foot and scare it to one of the 2 wooden cages. Sometimes it goes over it (hence 3 levels high), but eventually it enters the cage at which point I just close it.

Then I take the flyer out until I deaggro, come back to it. While crouched I would enter the range and just keep petting until its tamed. Once I nailed this system it became pretty easy and boring. It gets the job done.

I saw this process on a video, so the credit is not mine. Sadly I can't remember who posted it.

Cheers!

PS: Don't place more than one animal in this enclosure as they need to be alone to be tamed. You might be tempted to place 2 at once because you have 2 wooden cages, but it doesn't work due to its pack buff.

• 2 months later...

Hi, as of 2/16/18 it appears that you cannot interact with creatures through hatch, window or cage... at least I could not on my server. However, after several hours of tinkering, I finally tamed my first hyaenodon today. My method is sorta a combo of several posts and a video (thanks guys).

My method is as follows:

Uses the S+ mod (highly recommended) and dino's carryable by flyers makes this much easier

altho this could be done with vanilla parts with would be expensive

Using the S+ mod the building pieces are as easy to place, pick up and move as lego blocks:P so I started with a 3x6ish enclosed platform to have a safety net if I screwed up and remove a incorrect wall.

Bring your Hyaenodon of choice by bird and drop her in. With S+ you could also bring parts out and catch one wild but carrying makes this so much easier.

once you drop her in the bigger enclosure start watching her and get ready to build a 1x1 enclosure.

Key i found was to watch the her till she picks a favorite wall... (in my larger enclosure, she had several favorite walls so I picked one easy to work with)

your 1x1 is built as follows:

walls on on 3 sides (important to block line of sight)

4th side is a doorway

All sides 3 blocks high (Important to keep her inside the 1x1)...(2nd and 3rd layer can be walls, windows or doors, whatever you have)

make that favorite wall be the opposite wall from your door... (I think once you get her in the 1x1 and nose in on her favorite wall she won't move again at all)

I used walls to herd her into the 1x1 of my choice, placing and removing them as needed. she will eventually go exactly where you want her.

once you have her arranged, so her nose is pointing out of the 1x1 one way and her tail is pointed toward the doorway, you dance in and out of the doorway, going just a little into the room to press E and pet her and then back out fast and duck behind the doorway wall.

After 4-5 methods and several hours this is the only method I found where I got more than 1 pet in before she agroed me. Any method that included reaching through a hatch or a cage didn't work at all... I could only see the options for the hatch or cage.

Now... on the other had... after several hours, countless agros and agro drops, being herded through maze and structure after cage... She may have just gotten tired and given up... 

Anywho... now i gotta find a Male match for her and try this again!

Good luck everyone

• 3 months later...

i know this was started a long time ago and not sure if it has been fixed. i havnt been able to play ark in a long while but however. i tamed hyena all the time when i played. super easy. just stay in crouch and walk either behind it or wait for it to pause for a sec before it turns. also to make these tames super super easy just increase your movement speed. movement speed is a really easy way to tame most of the dinos out there lvl it early and you can quickly outrun raptors for easy tames. passive tames you can get in and out very fast. with a good movement speed with hyena you can actually just run at them and tame them before they register you. same goes for all passive tames really. personally in my games i value that movement speed over most thinks early and crafting skill when im maxed out. weight and all that i use when im building, but even with 150% movementspeed you can have decent hp and nice weight if you want

• 11 months later...

Archived