Hyaenodon taming is ridiculous

pixelated13

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These still suck even after the changes, please test the new mechanics out on a populated pve server, the fact they still agro so easily in ghillie, sometimes for no reason at all and the lags added on top and these are taking hours of tedious taming with still the same rubbish results. To put it in perspective I have tamed a 150 yuty today np just over an hour and can't even get a lvl 25 hyeana tamed and been trying 4•5 hours.

1.5-3% per petting is also as ridiculous, feels like a mejo tame from back in old 1xs taming days (we now have 2xs standard on official) especially for the amount of taming bar lost if it gets spooked.

I was taming lvl 145 Hyena for like 4 hours today.. failed several times due to lags, rubber banding. Then server crashed while I had it 89% tamed. I wanted to kill it, but then I tried one more time (hell so much to lose I thought - finding one, having it already trapped).. so eventually i tamed it. Effectiveness was not great and lvl 145 ended up as lvl 203 tamed. But tamed nevertheless.

2 hours ago, Teslawhiskey said:

Tamed 2 last night on official.  Getting more tonight. Tedious? Yes. Hard? No.  Actually they are one of the easiest tames in the game if you know what you are doing. 

I have tamed a few since myself, however there seems to be no way of maintaining 100% effectiveness in tame. So...theres that...

• 5 weeks later...

Is pachy confirmed to calm them down while in a trap?

My first 145 was done in the wild, my 150 was pushed in a trap 3x3 bh gates. Pushed it with the dragon. No aggro so it went fine. I just aggrod another 150 in this trap on foot. Had 2 others with it. Killed the other 2 so alpha status is gone but this one won't deaggro, I'm way above on an argy. If confirmation on pachy is good then I'll start using that. If not gonna have to aggro close to trap then push the rest of the way in with a dragon.

On 5/30/2017 at 11:43 AM, pixelated13 said:

Was so looking forward to taming a Hyaenodon went and found a few and tried taming them, was wearing gillie and crept up behind them but after the first couple of pets they aggro even when there's nothing around them and leg it off and the taming bar goes straight back down again. Even a lvl 25 is going to take hours to tame and there's no way you can walk around in the wild for that long and them not aggro at all.

I'm on official PVE if anyone's got any ideas to tame them that might help or if the devs can take a look at them because for a passive tame this has to be the worst one they have done so far.

I play on an official PVE server as well and I had a nice amount of dumb luck. If you make a raft with ramps leading into a area to catch them you can drive them off and tame them without them running off or aggroing on any other dino. I was easily able to tame mine this way, just make the taming raft :)

On 5/30/2017 at 9:58 PM, Wes1234668 said:

Okay, so I just tamed one, and I can confirm that EleLL's method above WORKS.  Was able to stay directly behind it and had no issues.  Having high movement speed is a BIIIIIIG help for taming one of these when it decides to make a fairly sharp turn so you can stay behind it.  This was done with the same Hyaenodon that was giving me grief before I followed these rules, so flying out of render is by no means needed to start again.

I tried, doesnt work. It aggroed infinitely to the point where I would pick it up with my argy fly it away from the base. It would run back to my base and continue to attack the same wall piece. I picked up flew to the highest point and dropped it and he still ran to my base and attacked the same wall tile

On 5/31/2017 at 3:42 AM, WarMonkey85 said:

All you have to do is pick it up with a bird, Argent is what I use, and carry it off to a pen. It will be seperated from the pack and no longer be an issue to tame. Also, you don't need ghille armour or anything. Just walk up to it and start petting it. Just make sure no other dinos are in the area to aggro it. Also a trick I learned and posted on the wiki: to tame a leader, just pick it up and carry it away from the pack. It will eventually lose the leader bonus and be able to be tamed.

Hope this helps.

Yea definitely NOT true. You cant just "Walk" on it without a guille suit. Also found prone doesnt work either, i have to be crouched

2 hours ago, Racna1305 said:

I tried, doesnt work. It aggroed infinitely to the point where I would pick it up with my argy fly it away from the base. It would run back to my base and continue to attack the same wall piece. I picked up flew to the highest point and dropped it and he still ran to my base and attacked the same wall tile

I had the same problem when going after a 150 one.  You just have to wait for a while, and I mean a WHILE.  It's not going to de-aggro anytime soon, but it will eventually.  Until then, you yourself NEED to stay away from it, or it WILL stay aggro'd.   Don't pick it up, don't try to pet it, nothing.  Wait for it to go back to just casually roaming before you try again.  Get some popcorn or something, because it'll take quite a long time.

42 minutes ago, Wes1234668 said:

I had the same problem when going after a 150 one.  You just have to wait for a while, and I mean a WHILE.  It's not going to de-aggro anytime soon, but it will eventually.  Until then, you yourself NEED to stay away from it, or it WILL stay aggro'd.   Don't pick it up, don't try to pet it, nothing.  Wait for it to go back to just casually roaming before you try again.  Get some popcorn or something, because it'll take quite a long time.

Man that sucks, I had to fly that damn thing across the map. Where my base is im afraid it will aggro something and get killed

58 minutes ago, Wes1234668 said:

So is there NO WAY to knock it out?

I think I figured out how hyaenodon taming works. I just tamed a 145 in singleplayer at level 21 so no bug repellent and no ghillie suit. I also didn't use a taming pen and the taming bar went up about 6% each pet. Basically, the beta hyaenodon i was taming didn't go aggro if it could see another wild hyaenodon. It's like it freaks out if it thinks it's alone. Also while I was taming it (crouched the whole time) it turned to look at me plenty of times, but never went aggro. It seems to only go aggro if it is alone, or if the alpha gets too close to you. I was crouched behind it the whole time, petting when I needed to, but I backed off whenever it got close to the alpha and I waited for them to drift apart. Yes this caused some drops in the taming bar, but it was never more than 8%. It seems the devs coded the hyaenodon specifically to push people away from using taming pens.

1 hour ago, tyler13731 said:

I think I figured out how hyaenodon taming works. I just tamed a 145 in singleplayer at level 21 so no bug repellent and no ghillie suit. I also didn't use a taming pen and the taming bar went up about 6% each pet. Basically, the beta hyaenodon i was taming didn't go aggro if it could see another wild hyaenodon. It's like it freaks out if it thinks it's alone. Also while I was taming it (crouched the whole time) it turned to look at me plenty of times, but never went aggro. It seems to only go aggro if it is alone, or if the alpha gets too close to you. I was crouched behind it the whole time, petting when I needed to, but I backed off whenever it got close to the alpha and I waited for them to drift apart. Yes this caused some drops in the taming bar, but it was never more than 8%. It seems the devs coded the hyaenodon specifically to push people away from using taming pens.

One possible way to tame it considering what you just said is to make 2 or 3 pens, space them apart so that you can put a hyaenodon in each. Have them not too far apart so it won't be alone, but not too close so it will aggro from that.

On 7/2/2017 at 3:46 AM, LilNastyGurl said:

Use the Pachyrhino's calming ability

So I brought over my pachy but when I came back it calmed down.  Tamed it all the way right there. But what I saw also helps is flying your bird as high as you can before leaving render range. Can't leave render range if you're alone bc it phases through the gates once derendered.  Will use pachy idea first thing next time though.  Thank you. 

Archived