Hyaenodon taming is ridiculous

pixelated13

Was so looking forward to taming a Hyaenodon went and found a few and tried taming them, was wearing gillie and crept up behind them but after the first couple of pets they aggro even when there's nothing around them and leg it off and the taming bar goes straight back down again. Even a lvl 25 is going to take hours to tame and there's no way you can walk around in the wild for that long and them not aggro at all.

I'm on official PVE if anyone's got any ideas to tame them that might help or if the devs can take a look at them because for a passive tame this has to be the worst one they have done so far.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I decided today to tame a hyaenodon. I after searching all the mountains I eventually found a lvl 55 at 36,40. The first thing to note is you cannot tame the "alpha" and you also cannot tame them if they are too close to the alpha. After getting near to one I actually got it stuck on me as I crouched making this much easier. Every pet only increases the taming bar by 2.9%. taming effectiveness also sucks I'm halfway through and its already at 87.9%. I ended up stopping when I accidently stood up causing it to reset the taming meter.

Ok, so large outdoor pen, where there are no foundations below, it deaggros quickly. However, the rules I've found so far are you must stay within distance or it loses taming. If you are not directly behind it, and it turns its head, it will aggro, you lose taming. On a 6x server, first pet is 1.2% tame, then 2.6%, then 3.8%. So working on a lvl 90 is taking forever, I have not yet gotten it above 10% over 15 mins.

9 minutes ago, EleLL said:

Ok, so large outdoor pen, where there are no foundations below, it deaggros quickly. However, the rules I've found so far are you must stay within distance or it loses taming. If you are not directly behind it, and it turns its head, it will aggro, you lose taming. On a 6x server, first pet is 1.2% tame, then 2.6%, then 3.8%. So working on a lvl 90 is taking forever, I have not yet gotten it above 10% over 15 mins.

Owch. Whats the benefit of it anyways?

6 hours ago, EleLL said:

Okay, so I just tamed one, and I can confirm that EleLL's method above WORKS.  Was able to stay directly behind it and had no issues.  Having high movement speed is a BIIIIIIG help for taming one of these when it decides to make a fairly sharp turn so you can stay behind it.  This was done with the same Hyaenodon that was giving me grief before I followed these rules, so flying out of render is by no means needed to start again.

Ok, found a great solution, although in the wild without flyers, you'll have to think on your feet a bit. You need a pen about 5x5. If in the wild, lure the highest level one you can find with honey. Then aggro it. Lock it up when it hits the corner in a 1x1 cage with a ceiling over top. Then block off the 3x3 area around it. That leaves you a 2 x 4 on each side for the rest. Lure them in. Lock them into that area and proceed to tame at will. They are easy to tame with the pack leader safely locked away but within range. Once in a while they might get too close to the wall, just give them a second. Also, be sure the walls are 3 high, or they can jump in to visit their esteemed leader. This is a 20 min tame roughly, so I did a 140 and 145 at the same time. Much easier and less hair pulling :)

I did a similiar method and made 2 pens close to each other, one for the alpha and the other for the target tame. I am wondering if we have figured out how to stop the effectiveness drop...also wondering (since it seems that the "alpha" bonus cannot be transapplied from a wild pack to a domesticated hyena) how we would end up taming the max wild level tames....

thoughts?

8 hours ago, EleLL said:

I have a 150 in my taming pen on an unofficial server, and you pet it once, bam it's aggroed.  Then it never unaggroes because it's in a pen. I tried honey... no go. Ghillie suit and bug spray (since I got the honey) don't do anything, well ghillie is great, but not the bug spray.

Bug spray only works for bugs. (spiders, pluera, etc): cactus sap with ghillie is my best bet. 

All you have to do is pick it up with a bird, Argent is what I use, and carry it off to a pen. It will be seperated from the pack and no longer be an issue to tame. Also, you don't need ghille armour or anything. Just walk up to it and start petting it. Just make sure no other dinos are in the area to aggro it. Also a trick I learned and posted on the wiki: to tame a leader, just pick it up and carry it away from the pack. It will eventually lose the leader bonus and be able to be tamed.

Hope this helps.

I have to say that the devs are a bit short sighted when they create taming mechanics like this. They test it in office environment where there is no lag for which people get punished. With taming these hyenas lag basically ruins your tame even though you don't really do anything wrong. That combined with how hard it s in PERFECT office environment can cause a lot of frustration. I failed to tame due to rubber banding and lag today, meaning I was basically not where i thought i was or tried to pet and it just didn't want to work because of the lag.

If you tame these I suggest early in the morning or at night when there is less people on your server.

Archived