Patch 258: Hyaenodon, Megatherium, Megalania, Hesperornis, Yutyrannus, and More!

Jatheish

• Administrator

Patch v258 finds its way harpooning onto the ARK with a boatload worth of content! It'll introduce five new creatures to the game, a new way of travel in the form of a gas-powered motorboat, an interactive toilet for when you just can't hold it in anymore, a harpoon gun for all your under the sea adventures, and not to forget; two new hairstyles, optimisations, and a greater Achievement set! 

With this update, ARK: Survival Evolved has officially released 100 creatures to the base game, not including bosses, events, or specialized variants! Now let's say hello to our new friends!

large_ARK1.jpg

large.1448949177_Dossier_Hyaenodon.jpg

Hyaenodon dirus, a carnivore most often found across the mountains and tundras in packs of 3 to 6. The Hyaenodon is a very intelligent predator. Before engaging, it determines if the payoff for a fight is worth the risk of injury. Hyaenodon often prefers not to fight unless there is already weakened prey or a fresh carcass nearby. 

large_ARK4.jpg

Despite being too small to ride, Hyaenodon are still popular pets. Their intelligence means they train well, and their natural pack mentality makes them excellent hunting dogs. Their ability to quickly recover health by consuming raw flesh off the bone ensures they can take punishment yet continue to fight, and they can efficiently preserve meat in specially-crafted saddle-bags.are still popular pets. Their intelligence means they train well, and their natural pack mentality makes them excellent hunting dogs. Their ability to quickly recover health by consuming raw flesh off the bone ensures they can take punishment yet continue to fight, and they can efficiently preserve meat in specially-crafted saddle-bags.

large_ARK3.jpg

large.Megatherium.jpg

Megatherium formipavor is one of the larger mammals on the Island. Despite primarily being a herbivore, a typical Megatherium is very intent on consuming the Island’s many insects. It is particularly adept at removing their insides without damaging much of the shell, maximizing extraction of chitin. The otherwise slow and peaceful Megatherium becomes faster and aggressive in the presence of these creatures.

large_ARK6.jpg

large.Dossier_Megalania(2).jpg

Megalania muruspede is found throughout the Island’s complicated cave networks. Reaching up to three meters long, it can traverse vertically up cave walls with little difficulty thanks to its powerful claws. Like other Varanidae, Megalania is a venomous creature. Its poison is slow-acting but will drain the victim’s effective strength and health until death unless cured by a rare antidote.

large.ARK12.jpg

The rare ability of Megalania to effortlessly climb sheer environmental walls makes it a highly sought-after mount. While it is by no means the fastest, strongest, or toughest mount, the manner in which it can effortlessly scale mountains, clamber up barricades, hide in trees or upside-down, ensures it will always have a place in any tribe’s stables!

large.ARK10.jpg

large.Hesperornis.jpg

Hesperornis avenatantes is a medium-sized, fish-eating bird, common in the rivers and lakes of the island. It would be about two-thirds the height of a human if it stood tall, but it rarely does. Hesperornis spends most of its time gliding along the surface of the water, where it is much more maneuverable. It can easily hunt down fish and other small water-dwelling creatures.

large_ARK7.jpg

Hesperornis is primarily kept for the eggs it produces after consuming much fish. Every so often it will lay a golden egg which tribes often desire for the dietary needs of their tames, as it has proven to greatly assist in the training of all creatures, especially those which are too small to be ridden.

large.ARK11.jpg

large.Dossier_Yutyrannusresize.jpg

Yutyrannus saevus is believed to be related to the Tyrannosaurus rex, but it is noticeably different upon first glance. Feathered creatures are not necessarily viewed as dangerous predators in the same light as other theropods. It is also the only creature I’ve seen to consistently induce a state of panic in opponents with its roar. Upon hearing it, most creatures in the area will flee for safety.

large_ARK8.jpg

A domesticated Yutyrannus can be a powerful offensive or defensive addition to war parties.Yutyrannus can be trained to develop a confidence-boosting Battle-Cry which counteracts enemy attempts to induce fear, while also bolstering the resolve of allies, and may even draw wild Carnotaurus to its aid.

There's still more to come! In ARK update v258, Survivors have become more civilized and have managed to invent their own version of indoor plumbing. Survivors can now go to the toilet when their characters are ready to defecate, and by doing so they'll get a special 'refreshing' buff which will grant them an experience boost!

large_ARK9.jpg

Plus, with all the dangers and terrors that have recently become apparent in our seas, Survivors can now craft a Harpoon gun which can be used for all your under the sea adventures! 

large_ARK5.jpg

As well as a new speedy gas-powered Motorboat! 

large_ARK2.jpg

...there's so much in this patch that we haven't gone through yet! In addition to everything above, here are the rest of the notes:

- Brand new Achievements with cosmetic, emotes, and hairstyle rewards for obtaining them!
- More UI overhauls!
- New Hairstyle and Facial Hair!
- New Explorer Notes!
- Primitive+ Major Update. Patch Notes can be read here:

You can check out the full patch notes here: 

and for those who want to know all the juicy details about the latest ARK Patch, you can check out Jen's Everything You Want To Know thread!

ARK's Biggest Ever Steam Sale!

0_68-off-button.png

From now until June the 5th at 1PM EST, Survivors can purchase both ARK: Survival Evolved and Scorched Earth at their largest discounted price ever, for 68% off! Hurry and grab it whilst you can!

0_68-off-button.png

The patch will be releasing later today, it's a few hours out still. Be sure to follow us on @survivetheark for all the latest information!

Thank you Survivors! We hope you enjoy the update!

:Jerblove:

View full article

9 minutes ago, Agendo said:

here are the rest of the notes:

- Brand new Achievements with cosmetic, emotes, and hairstyle rewards for obtaining them!
- More UI overhauls!
- New Explorer Notes!

ಠ_ಠ Where

ಠ__ಠ Are

ಠ___ಠ Optimizations!

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ 

They will be in the dynamic length bridges patch Kappa

18 minutes ago, Agendo said:

- More UI overhauls!
- New Explorer Notes!

ಠ_ಠ Where

ಠ__ಠ Are

ಠ___ಠ Optimizations!

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ 

optimizations? What are these optimizations you speak of? And where does one find such a rare thing?

• Volunteer Moderator
20 minutes ago, Agendo said:

- More UI overhauls!
- New Explorer Notes!

ಠ_ಠ Where

ಠ__ಠ Are

ಠ___ಠ Optimizations!

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ 

They will be in future patches. You'll see it mentioned now in further out. They will come now the major content has ended.

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, Lewiatan said:

Yeah, maybe in the next month considering how often they release patches. I do not feel like waiting for that.

That's upto you, but if you don't feel like waiting for that, then the only choice is to quit, which, i don't quite get the feeling you will do that over the case of waiting a few more weeks.

Just now, GP said:

That's upto you, but if you don't feel like waiting for that, then the only choice is to quit, which, i don't quite get the feeling you will do that over the case of waiting a few more weeks.

I left official servers in November already, because I was fed up with repetitive gameplay that ARK offers and It still does. I had been waiting to have a reason to start playing on the official servers again since then. Wildcard gave me no reason to do so gameplay wise, so I was waiting for optimisations and bug fixes that did not come in the end, because toilets are more important apparently. Now the real game development begins for Wildcard, let's see if they can make this game something more than grind fest. 

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, MinasG said:

"With this update, ARK: Survival Evolved has officially released 100 creatures to the base game, not including bosses, events, or specialized variants! Now let's say hello to our new friends!"

no more new creature ? :'(

Not before Official Release no. But who knows what will come after 1.0 release.

But there definitely needs to be a time when they stop adding dinos and focus on optimisation and bugs in prep for release, which is what will be happening now.

It's all good!

1 hour ago, Lewiatan said:

Yeah, maybe in the next month considering how often they release patches. I do not feel like waiting for that.

Look,they released more than once on time. This time earlier. Chill, they need to fix it before they add it, they can't just add optimizations right away. It takes time to develop a game. Plus, if you release optimizations right away, it brings new bugs.

Sincerely

:raptor:Aaron L. Sandoval:raptor:

1 hour ago, ILuvTheAwesomeDevs said:

They added a cool down to the stuns I think, like a three second gap

Still doesn't help with them glitching inside your dino's hitbox and getting it stuck to where it can't retaliate. Or the Eels glitching through terrain and sitting inside of rocks and stuff, waiting to ambush you. No point in knocking out anything underwater with the Harpoon Gun and taming it, when it's just going to die 5 mins later to a pack of eels ghosting out of a rock saying "Suprize! Butt Seckz!"

I've seen Gods of the Sea Mosasaurus and Tusoteuthis that were bred off of two perfect 150 Tames (224 after Tame), with 100% Imprint and Mastercraft+ Saddles, that could annihilate any Alpha in the Sea, get killed by a pack of low level Eels before.

Edited by Daedros

This is not the first time I read easy to find typos and errors in the text. I would be more than happy to proofread your material before posting. This may be the worst Ark News text yet with the multiple "copy and paste" text you have. I am a hard critic, I have no intention to sound like a jerk.

I absolutely love the "Everything You Want To Know". Please keep doing that!

Lots of really cool stuff here, great work guys! I love how there's a new underwater weapon besides the crossbow. Now we just need some aoe stuff and maybe some utility weapons. A few things I'd like are:

• Torpedo launcher: like rpg but underwater, homing variety too?
  • Depth charge: underwater grenade (maybe make it stun whales too to let people who still have wooden rafts get away?)

Just could really use some AOE underwater weaponry to get rid of clusters of piranhas and torpedos I'd imagine would be useful for cracking open underwater TEK bases.