Playing official PvE as a single person tribe is ridiculous post nerf

Savvygamer

I used to play ark full time as part of an alpha pvp tribe. Now I play by myself casually on a pve server. I had some friends help me out in the beginning and I had stuff left over from our old pve server that we kept refreshed. So I have good cw/Stam quetzs, good wyverns, ankies, theris, beavers, and doeds. Resource harvesting now is now almost impossible to do as a casual player after this flyer nerf. When they officially boosted the rates to 2x, I could farm the entire island's metal in 2 hours by myself and being in a great yield. Post nerf? I'm lucky to clear a mountain in that time. Need pearls? Can get max of a few hundred. Polymer? If there's penguins, 500 in an hour. All this flyer nerf did was make the most mundane and time consuming parts of the game take 10x longer as a single player. Yes pteras needed a speed nerf and quetzs a Stam nerf, but the absolute fisting they have to all flyers have made farming resources the primary way you spend your time in ark. This is not a way to get people to speak positively about their experiences with ark. I was once apart of, second in charge, of a 100 man mega tribe and things were obviously easy. But now I see how ridiculous it is for anybody who wants to just play casually by themselves or with a small group. Bring back upgradeable speed, just set a cap! No more than 2x base speed, and decrease the Stam drain on these flyers a little bit. WC said this would be an iterative process but they haven't done anything since it hit console and it appears they really just don't care how the community feels. Rant over. 

8 minutes ago, Savvygamer said:

I used to play ark full time as part of an alpha pvp tribe. Now I play by myself casually on a pve server. I had some friends help me out in the beginning and I had stuff left over from our old pve server that we kept refreshed. So I have good cw/Stam quetzs, good wyverns, ankies, theris, beavers, and doeds. Resource harvesting now is now almost impossible to do as a casual player after this flyer nerf. When they officially boosted the rates to 2x, I could farm the entire island's metal in 2 hours by myself and being in a great yield. Post nerf? I'm lucky to clear a mountain in that time. Need pearls? Can get max of a few hundred. Polymer? If there's penguins, 500 in an hour. All this flyer nerf did was make the most mundane and time consuming parts of the game take 10x longer as a single player. Yes pteras needed a speed nerf and quetzs a Stam nerf, but the absolute fisting they have to all flyers have made farming resources the primary way you spend your time in ark. This is not a way to get people to speak positively about their experiences with ark. I was once apart of, second in charge, of a 100 man mega tribe and things were obviously easy. But now I see how ridiculous it is for anybody who wants to just play casually by themselves or with a small group. Bring back upgradeable speed, just set a cap! No more than 2x base speed, and decrease the Stam drain on these flyers a little bit. WC said this would be an iterative process but they haven't done anything since it hit console and it appears they really just don't care how the community feels. Rant over. 

Theres nothing harder about it. You can carry more, just slower and no glitch to help you reduce weight.

I played over a year solo pve, did most bosses, had big bases all that. Its not hard. Again and again; time management. Yes, it takes longer. Fair and balanced? I think so.

No sympathy mate.

TBH I don't think you could farm the whole maps metal in 2 hours without exploiting, and you shouldn't complain that you can't exploit anymore.  TBH you can carry a lot more metal now than you could before(without exploiting).

Past that, the flyer nerf was sloppy and they tried to think up a fancy way to fix something and did it wrong. 

Flyers are Stronger now than pre nerf, they are just much slower.

Unfortunately many people have been writing about how terrible the nerf was for 2 months, and I doubt they are going to change anything anymore.  It would hurt their pride too much to have to admit they fudged up, so they are gonna stick to this heavy-handed speed-lock non-nerf.

I play solo pve and i can transport all the metal i need with 2 Anky and 1 quetz i have a small base near the 2 mountains to store metal, this game is not design for a single player to gather and do the same amount of work as a tribe with many members, it actually encourage you to make alliance and play socially, you just need to strategize and find ways to make task simpler to perform, need poly? i have 8 snail that produce all the poly i need, need pearls fly to snow area with ptera with scuba gear and gather all you need, there always a way to gather resources efficiently.

7 minutes ago, TheGreatDarko said:

I play solo pve and i can transport all the metal i need with 2 Anky and 1 quetz i have a small base near the 2 mountains to store metal, this game is not design for a single player to gather and do the same amount of work as a tribe with many members, it actually encourage you to make alliance and play socially, you just need to strategize and find ways to make task simpler to perform, need poly? i have 8 snail that produce all the poly i need, need pearls fly to snow area with ptera with scuba gear and gather all you need, there always a way to gather resources efficiently.

need an item you left at your other base on the other side of the map? learn to live without it because who wants to spend a half an hour going to get it?

Ah another one...

Well might as well put in my 2 cents as usual. I do not like the flyer as much as you, and from a PVE stance, yeah this nerf sucks. I know the birds needed it over on the PVP side though, albeit the heavy-handedness is of course ridiculous.

If anything this just means PVE and PVP should be all the more considered separate game modes and treated as such. PVE didn't NEED the nerf, but PVP did. WC should start doing separate patches for the two.

Are there alternates? Sure I guess. There are other dinos other than birds. But I don't see how I could bear this nerf myself if I didn't have a slightly boosted weight stat gain on my server...the stam hit is baaaaaad still too, I got to pump so much stamina into a Ptera for it to even fly decent far and not need to land. But I guess after like 20 generations of breeding you could get a Ptera with nice stamina from the egg. But again...time sink...and by the time you get your Ptera with nice Stam, you'll not need it since you've made it to Tek tier by then xD  (I'm speaking for the PVE side of things by the way. It would be worse for PVP since your bird could get killed in a raid or just cause someone felt like it).

I know it's been a while since WC has even mentioned anything regarding Flyer nerf V3. All we can really do is wait now. More complaining will do little at this point. If they really leave things as is, then it will be cause for concern. But who knows what they'll do between now and release. For now, I will wait and see what they do...and just pray that if they intend ot keep the birds this way that maybe some strange miracle will happen that can salvage the game for us who don't want to play 'time-sink simulator'.

2 minutes ago, Enio said:

Well, lets just say - the pace changed a bit. Don't try to hurry it like you could before. That more casual approach works (apart from the breeding thing), just needs a bit more time. But there usually isn't a need to make 10k ingots in an evening.

I don't know about that.  I only play with 6 people. Usually we have 3 total online at a time and we have 2 vaults set up for holding metal ingots. 3 times a night I fill the forge with metal and empty the ingots into the vaults and we have never filled both vaults.  The metal gets used pretty much as fast as we can make it.  Same goes for the polymer, I will make enough polymer to fill a large storage box and it will be empty within the hour.  Last weekend we burned through 5 vaults of cementing paste and 2 vaults of gunpowder.  Resources go quick in this game.

13 minutes ago, Ulta said:

Ah another one...

Well might as well put in my 2 cents as usual. I do not like the flyer as much as you, and from a PVE stance, yeah this nerf sucks. I know the birds needed it over on the PVP side though, albeit the heavy-handedness is of course ridiculous.

If anything this just means PVE and PVP should be all the more considered separate game modes and treated as such. PVE didn't NEED the nerf, but PVP did. WC should start doing separate patches for the two.

Are there alternates? Sure I guess. There are other dinos other than birds. But I don't see how I could bear this nerf myself if I didn't have a slightly boosted weight stat gain on my server...the stam hit is baaaaaad still too, I got to pump so much stamina into a Ptera for it to even fly decent far and not need to land. But I guess after like 20 generations of breeding you could get a Ptera with nice stamina from the egg. But again...time sink...and by the time you get your Ptera with nice Stam, you'll not need it since you've made it to Tek tier by then xD  (I'm speaking for the PVE side of things by the way. It would be worse for PVP since your bird could get killed in a raid or just cause someone felt like it).

I know it's been a while since WC has even mentioned anything regarding Flyer nerf V3. All we can really do is wait now. More complaining will do little at this point. If they really leave things as is, then it will be cause for concern. But who knows what they'll do between now and release. For now, I will wait and see what they do...and just pray that if they intend ot keep the birds this way that maybe some strange miracle will happen that can salvage the game for us who don't want to play 'time-sink simulator'.

Flyer nerf was needed just as much in pve as pvp..

1 minute ago, d1nk said:

Flyer nerf was needed just as much in pve as pvp..

Why? There's little to no competition on PVE. What does it matter if your flyer is fast? I mean sure they maybe did need SOME speed nerf so we wouldn't have sound-barrier breaking Pteras. But they didn't need it THIS badly on PVE (remember I said this was fine for PVP, but I don't play PVP so I'm not going to speak on that side) . So do tell me what this reason is, because last I checked, it didn't matter to other players if someone's Ptera or Quetzal could fly fast on PVE...

And don't give me the land dino argument, because even after the flyer nerf, I STILL use my birds more than land dino's when it comes to resource harvesting, just for the fact they can avoid most danger and also can avoid terrain that can glitch or slow a land dino. Flyer's are still 'faster' than a land dino due to this, but that's their ONLY benefit now. They have no use other than to be carriers to hold resources you harvest far away, because none of them can fight or kill things worth beans outside of the argie, and even then I don't use an Argie to go harvest meat, I use a Rex and kill the local fauna.

I KNOW there are alternates yes...I KNOW I can build a base near these resources, but I'd still have to fly there (minus the teleporter of course, but that's late game and I don't even know if you can bring things with you through it). But to make the trips SLOWER does not make it FUN or EFFECIENT. And in this day and age, where playing a game should be a stress reliever and not a time-consuming CHORE, well...need I say more?

Just now, SLlCK said:

need an item you left at your other base on the other side of the map? learn to live without it because who wants to spend a half an hour going to get it?

Happen once and never again, its all about getting prepare before any task, i have smithy, fab, chest with all tools i need on all my bases i just fast travel get to work.

I don't know how you could be in an alpha tribe and still not be any good at collecting resources.

On 2x solo I get 2k org polymer from penguin in about half an hour flying time included with a moschops.

Will get about 3k ingots just casually farming a metal mountain in about 30 min

Pearls get afoot 1k in minutes using the angler.

I mean if you are solo, how much do you need?

56 minutes ago, SLlCK said:

I don't know about that.  I only play with 6 people. Usually we have 3 total online at a time and we have 2 vaults set up for holding metal ingots. 3 times a night I fill the forge with metal and empty the ingots into the vaults and we have never filled both vaults.  The metal gets used pretty much as fast as we can make it.  Same goes for the polymer, I will make enough polymer to fill a large storage box and it will be empty within the hour.  Last weekend we burned through 5 vaults of cementing paste and 2 vaults of gunpowder.  Resources go quick in this game.

Yeah but what are people doing with it? Making a whole new base every week?

1 hour ago, Ulta said:

Why? There's little to no competition on PVE. What does it matter if your flyer is fast? I mean sure they maybe did need SOME speed nerf so we wouldn't have sound-barrier breaking Pteras. But they didn't need it THIS badly on PVE (remember I said this was fine for PVP, but I don't play PVP so I'm not going to speak on that side) . So do tell me what this reason is, because last I checked, it didn't matter to other players if someone's Ptera or Quetzal could fly fast on PVE...

And don't give me the land dino argument, because even after the flyer nerf, I STILL use my birds more than land dino's when it comes to resource harvesting, just for the fact they can avoid most danger and also can avoid terrain that can glitch or slow a land dino. Flyer's are still 'faster' than a land dino due to this, but that's their ONLY benefit now. They have no use other than to be carriers to hold resources you harvest far away, because none of them can fight or kill things worth beans outside of the argie, and even then I don't use an Argie to go harvest meat, I use a Rex and kill the local fauna.

I KNOW there are alternates yes...I KNOW I can build a base near these resources, but I'd still have to fly there (minus the teleporter of course, but that's late game and I don't even know if you can bring things with you through it). But to make the trips SLOWER does not make it FUN or EFFECIENT. And in this day and age, where playing a game should be a stress reliever and not a time-consuming CHORE, well...need I say more?

Because by level 35 you could have bred some fliers and been able to go anywhere on the island at all without any danger. Now you can still go anywhere on the island, slightly slower, and with a slight chance of something dangerous happening.

I will say though that since this isn't an MMO, I think WC should be very careful about adding too much grind. It's not like they're making additional money when tasks take us longer to do. It's all a balance and I'm sure many additional balances are still on their way.

1 hour ago, TheGreatDarko said:

Happen once and never again, its all about getting prepare before any task, i have smithy, fab, chest with all tools i need on all my bases i just fast travel get to work.

so you have ascendant blueprints that cover everything you need at all your bases?   like say an ascendant pike bp placed at 5 different locations around the map? or do you just make up a bunch of pikes and take them to each base?  what happens when you lose a couple of your pre made pikes and don't have enough spares for everyone?  Does someone go without? or do you all stand around for half an hour while someone rides their flying snail back to the main base to make some replacements? 

or better yet, you ever get all set up to do a boss battle and when you go to put in the tributes you find out you only have 15 sharks teeth instead of 16 because of the microscopic blue on blue text?   Now what?  Looks like everyone is standing around doing nothing for the next 20 minutes while I go back and get one...

the only thing the flier nerf has done for me is make the map much much much smaller because I refuse to spend half my day traveling.

20 minutes ago, SLlCK said:

ever look at whats required for the high end saddles and tek stuff? plus bullets, shotgun shells, eat up metal quickly.

I've got about 30 rexes outfitted with 90+ armour saddles, all the tek stuff, a second tek base (first unfortunately was on the volcano), tek underwater base, a couple of metal bases and something like 8 transmitters bunch of tek saddles and I have farmed metal probably once in the last fortnight.  Sure there's been periods when I do need to farm hard for a couple of days but usually that sets me up for a while.  Usually have at least 2 or 3 vaults of bullets and shells spare at any time plus at least 3 of each 285% weapon (except shock prod).

If I was farming like that every day then I can't imagine the obscene amount of stuff I'd have, but I guess the more you put in the more you get out.  It's up to you how much you need.

2 minutes ago, LEDminer said:

Do you craft those ascendant saddles on a daily basis?

Do you use guns instead of tames to kill wild dinos?

Do you leave turrets on "target all"?

1. I would say we make at least one expensive saddle a day.  when we get a bp for an upgraded saddle we make it, if we find a bp for a higher saddle 2 minutes later we make that. Why use a lower grade saddle when you have a bp for a higher grade saddle in your hand?  Plus you ever make mastercraft or ascendant fur?  It takes a lot of ingots for each piece, we make enough for everyone to have a complete set and at least 1 spare set for each person.  Add that up and see how many ingots you got left.  Plus now we have to upgrade, we made 12 sets of mastercraft gloves on sunday, last night we got an ascendant bp for fur gloves, now we have to make 12 sets of those.

2. we use the guns for caves mostly.

3. we leave the turrets on target all wild.  Now, put a turret on top of a boat and head through the swamp, you won't make it half way through before having to reload it.   The metal isn't even the hard part about making ammo btw, try keeping enough gunpowder in stock.  We have over a dozen forges running non stop churning out gunpowder and we never have enough. 

9 minutes ago, SLlCK said:

so you have ascendant blueprints that cover everything you need at all your bases?   like say an ascendant pike bp placed at 5 different locations around the map? or do you just make up a bunch of pikes and take them to each base?  what happens when you lose a couple of your pre made pikes and don't have enough spares for everyone?  Does someone go without? or do you all stand around for half an hour while someone rides their flying snail back to the main base to make some replacements? 

or better yet, you ever get all set up to do a boss battle and when you go to put in the tributes you find out you only have 15 sharks teeth instead of 16 because of the microscopic blue on blue text?   Now what?  Looks like everyone is standing around doing nothing for the next 20 minutes while I go back and get one...

the only thing the flier nerf has done for me is make the map much much much smaller because I refuse to spend half my day traveling.

It's weird that it takes you so long to fly anywhere, pretty much from any point to the nearest obelisk only takes us max 5 minutes with a non wyvern flyer, 2 minutes with a wyvern or less.

3 hours ago, Savvygamer said:

I used to play ark full time as part of an alpha pvp tribe. Now I play by myself casually on a pve server. I had some friends help me out in the beginning and I had stuff left over from our old pve server that we kept refreshed. So I have good cw/Stam quetzs, good wyverns, ankies, theris, beavers, and doeds. Resource harvesting now is now almost impossible to do as a casual player after this flyer nerf. When they officially boosted the rates to 2x, I could farm the entire island's metal in 2 hours by myself and being in a great yield

hey mate, i know the feels i played with 2 other people randoms three times, so 6 in total and another 3.

my point is that the game is a struggle even before and after nerf, now it feels like its good too spend time doing something yeah i know tribe of 10+ is gonna be better. quit the game or just enjoy it and its adventures. i had 5 metal bases around 40k metal lowkey solo tribe with just 1-2 teammates. but lost it all over and over either too not connecting or just loosing interest.

1 minute ago, DeningWei said:

It's weird that it takes you so long to fly anywhere, pretty much from any point to the nearest obelisk only takes us max 5 minutes with a non wyvern flyer, 2 minutes with a wyvern or less.

I timed it when they first nerfed the fliers, it was 5 minutes from our main base to the volcano on an argy. Our base is on the eastern beach with the big rock formations. For all I care though, they can take all the fliers out of the game completely as long as they give me an option to fast travel around the map without losing what I am carrying. I would be fine with that.

Archived