Playing official PvE as a single person tribe is ridiculous post nerf

Savvygamer

3 minutes ago, SLlCK said:

1. I would say we make at least one expensive saddle a day.  when we get a bp for an upgraded saddle we make it, if we find a bp for a higher saddle 2 minutes later we make that. Why use a lower grade saddle when you have a bp for a higher grade saddle in your hand?  Plus you ever make mastercraft or ascendant fur?  It takes a lot of ingots for each piece, we make enough for everyone to have a complete set and at least 1 spare set for each person.  Add that up and see how many ingots you got left.  Plus now we have to upgrade, we made 12 sets of mastercraft gloves on sunday, last night we got an ascendant bp for fur gloves, now we have to make 12 sets of those.

2. we use the guns for caves mostly.

3. we leave the turrets on target all wild.  Now, put a turret on top of a boat and head through the swamp, you won't make it half way through before having to reload it.   The metal isn't even the hard part about making ammo btw, try keeping enough gunpowder in stock.  We have over a dozen forges running non stop churning out gunpowder and we never have enough. 

Well dude that sounds like a lot of fun but it's not economical.  We kind of just go around naked lot or if we head into dangerous environments take mediocre flak or fur, it's doing the trick, still pretty much never die.  We have a tek armour set each but we don't just use it willy nilly.

Still though, kudos to you, that sounds like a blast.

3 hours ago, tidalblade said:

TBH I don't think you could farm the whole maps metal in 2 hours without exploiting, and you shouldn't complain that you can't exploit anymore.  TBH you can carry a lot more metal now than you could before(without exploiting).

Past that, the flyer nerf was sloppy and they tried to think up a fancy way to fix something and did it wrong. 

Flyers are Stronger now than pre nerf, they are just much slower.

Unfortunately many people have been writing about how terrible the nerf was for 2 months, and I doubt they are going to change anything anymore.  It would hurt their pride too much to have to admit they fudged up, so they are gonna stick to this heavy-handed speed-lock non-nerf.

2 minutes ago, SLlCK said:

I timed it when they first nerfed the fliers, it was 5 minutes from our main base to the volcano on an argy. Our base is on the eastern beach with the big rock formations. For all I care though, they can take all the fliers out of the game completely as long as they give me an option to fast travel around the map without losing what I am carrying. I would be fine with that.

Yeah that sounds about right, argies are pretty slow and that's a pretty long distance.

1 minute ago, DeningWei said:

Well dude that sounds like a lot of fun but it's not economical.  We kind of just go around naked lot or if we head into dangerous environments take mediocre flak or fur, it's doing the trick, still pretty much never die.  We have a tek armour set each but we don't just use it willy nilly.

Still though, kudos to you, that sounds like a blast.

It is fun and I don't mind gathering the resources and putting the work in. What I do mind is wasting so much time flying from point to point to gather the resources.  That is just wasted time doing nothing but trying to push your left joystick through the controller to gain more speed.  Just imagine trying to complete a task as fast as possible but you have to just stop and sit there for 5 minutes doing nothing throughout the process. I mean it's not like having to sit and wait for your metal to smelt, that is something you can get ahead of and control.

6 minutes ago, LEDminer said:

How many is this "we"? If you were alone, I would understand it being a pain to gather stuff for high end tools/saddles, but if you have a few people working together, it becomes much easier.

from an earlier post in this thread.

I don't know about that.  I only play with 6 people. Usually we have 3 total online at a time and we have 2 vaults set up for holding metal ingots. 3 times a night I fill the forge with metal and empty the ingots into the vaults and we have never filled both vaults.  The metal gets used pretty much as fast as we can make it.  Same goes for the polymer, I will make enough polymer to fill a large storage box and it will be empty within the hour.  Last weekend we burned through 5 vaults of cementing paste and 2 vaults of gunpowder.  Resources go quick in this game.

Just now, SLlCK said:

It is fun and I don't mind gathering the resources and putting the work in. What I do mind is wasting so much time flying from point to point to gather the resources.  That is just wasted time doing nothing but trying to push your left joystick through the controller to gain more speed.  Just imagine trying to complete a task as fast as possible but you have to just stop and sit there for 5 minutes doing nothing throughout the process. I mean it's not like having to sit and wait for your metal to smelt, that is something you can get ahead of and control.

Something I do, and it sounds like you can do it too with the kind of resources you are pulling in, is dot a flyer hangar in say 3 strategic spots around the map, at least one in a metal area.  Have a few flyers and beds and a transmitter in each.  For the resource ones have a quetz and anky and transmitter, couple of forges and vaults.  When you want to mine fast travel there, put on your gear out of storage, mine the metal and start processing it in the forges. Put away your gear, fast travel to next area.  When you are done mining, fast travel to the mining hangars and upload your ingots.  Fast travel back to home base storage and download the ingots and place them into the vaults next to the transmitter.  Having the whole mining team doing this at the same time makes it quicker and reduces the need to fast travel back and upload another 50 stacks.

If any of your hangar bases runs low on flyers due to them being misplaced or flown to base then just transmit some more there from home base.

Also if you want to move large amounts of light resources long distances, such as polymer or paste, don't bother uploading it.  Have at least a small metal base with a transmitter with beds right next to it on a different server.  Transfer over to that server, spawn next to the transmitter, then immediately travel back to home server and spawn wherever you wanted the resources to go.  Much quicker than flying.

Iirc you can also do this with ingots unless they have changed it.  Make yourself unconscious next to transmitter, get tribey to overload you with ingots (used to be 300 stacks max?) Then when you log in again use transmitter to travel to bed next to transmitter on other server, then travel back to home server and spawn at a bed next to some vaults to unload.

1 minute ago, DeningWei said:

Also if you want to move large amounts of light resources long distances, such as polymer or paste, don't bother uploading it.  Have at least a small metal base with a transmitter with beds right next to it on a different server.  Transfer over to that server, spawn next to the transmitter, then immediately travel back to home server and spawn wherever you wanted the resources to go.  Much quicker than flying.

Iirc you can also do this with ingots unless they have changed it.  Make yourself unconscious next to transmitter, get tribey to overload you with ingots (used to be 300 stacks max?) Then when you log in again use transmitter to travel to bed next to transmitter on other server, then travel back to home server and spawn at a bed next to some vaults to unload.

we can't travel between severs for some reason.

https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/topic/179967-cannot-transfer-from-one-server-to-another/#comment-1072581

The initial flier nerf was a major black eye for me and my tribe, the night the nerf happened we lost ~15 wyvern's in all. We had 11 baby's die, and then 3-4 adults die trying to get milk. I think that where the fliers are now is a good balance (Although the speed cap still sucks) But it does invalidate certain fliers. For example: Pteradon and Argentavis. If you have anything above them, they are useless for anything aside from egg's. I won't say that i'm happy with the change, but i am content with it at the least. I think you can still make it as a solo playing tribe (There are several people on my server who do) But, like above people have mentioned, you have to properly manage your time and possibly break an event up into multiple parts. I personally do not think that ark was designed or intended to play solo. Do you need all ascendant fur gear? I used to live below blue oby, and i'd have 2 peices of asc fur and not even have the snow flake (With 10 fortitude) Saddles: Why do you need to have the best saddles always? Are you constantly running bosses? I hope you don't throw good saddles on egg layers. And higher armor can not be worth the cost. If you can make a asc rex saddle for 2k ingots, and a mc for 500 ingots, and the armor is only 2-4 points difference, is it justifiable to make it for something that likely doesn't take any major damage?

5 hours ago, Savvygamer said:

I used to play ark full time as part of an alpha pvp tribe. Now I play by myself casually on a pve server. I had some friends help me out in the beginning and I had stuff left over from our old pve server that we kept refreshed. So I have good cw/Stam quetzs, good wyverns, ankies, theris, beavers, and doeds. Resource harvesting now is now almost impossible to do as a casual player after this flyer nerf. When they officially boosted the rates to 2x, I could farm the entire island's metal in 2 hours by myself and being in a great yield. Post nerf? I'm lucky to clear a mountain in that time. Need pearls? Can get max of a few hundred. Polymer? If there's penguins, 500 in an hour. All this flyer nerf did was make the most mundane and time consuming parts of the game take 10x longer as a single player. Yes pteras needed a speed nerf and quetzs a Stam nerf, but the absolute fisting they have to all flyers have made farming resources the primary way you spend your time in ark. This is not a way to get people to speak positively about their experiences with ark. I was once apart of, second in charge, of a 100 man mega tribe and things were obviously easy. But now I see how ridiculous it is for anybody who wants to just play casually by themselves or with a small group. Bring back upgradeable speed, just set a cap! No more than 2x base speed, and decrease the Stam drain on these flyers a little bit. WC said this would be an iterative process but they haven't done anything since it hit console and it appears they really just don't care how the community feels. Rant over. 

Boy you should see my posts.

I claim to be competitive with quetz anky. Solo. On foot. Using my methods of bed warps and parachutes to collection points.

And other tricks depending on what resources.

You really need to stop thinking that to harvest resources needs to happen all at once from start to finish.

If you build stages it's quite fast if not faster.

Bed warps to harvest the nodes.

Later parachute jumps to move resources from mountain tops to collection points. 

Later gather all the harvests in one raft trip.

On pve you got even less to worry about people stealing your harvests. 

12 minutes ago, Bramboxc123 said:

Boy you should see my posts.

I claim to be competitive with quetz anky. Solo. On foot. Using my methods of bed warps and parachutes to collection points.

And other tricks depending on what resources.

You really need to stop thinking that to harvest resources needs to happen all at once from start to finish.

If you build stages it's quite fast if not faster.

Bed warps to harvest the nodes.

Later parachute jumps to move resources from mountain tops to collection points. 

Later gather all the harvests in one raft trip.

On pve you got even less to worry about people stealing your harvests. 

You forgot to link your other threads

9 minutes ago, DeningWei said:

You forgot to link your other threads

Im too lazy figured A) my reputation preceded me or B) you can look it up easily in my profile.

Either way just have a way to bedwarp to the mountains. 

Stash tools and chutes.

Parachute to beaches where you stash your resources.

Pick it up on your boat.

Thats the gist in a nutshell.

I got a way of getting a lot of poop when it's cold. Needs to be cold so you poop everytime you drain stamina.

Means I get to spend more time collecting pearls and chitin from trilos and nodes. Which keeps good amout of cp and pearls.

And I find it more fun.

11 hours ago, Ulta said:

Why? There's little to no competition on PVE. What does it matter if your flyer is fast? I mean sure they maybe did need SOME speed nerf so we wouldn't have sound-barrier breaking Pteras. But they didn't need it THIS badly on PVE (remember I said this was fine for PVP, but I don't play PVP so I'm not going to speak on that side) . So do tell me what this reason is, because last I checked, it didn't matter to other players if someone's Ptera or Quetzal could fly fast on PVE...

And don't give me the land dino argument, because even after the flyer nerf, I STILL use my birds more than land dino's when it comes to resource harvesting, just for the fact they can avoid most danger and also can avoid terrain that can glitch or slow a land dino. Flyer's are still 'faster' than a land dino due to this, but that's their ONLY benefit now. They have no use other than to be carriers to hold resources you harvest far away, because none of them can fight or kill things worth beans outside of the argie, and even then I don't use an Argie to go harvest meat, I use a Rex and kill the local fauna.

I KNOW there are alternates yes...I KNOW I can build a base near these resources, but I'd still have to fly there (minus the teleporter of course, but that's late game and I don't even know if you can bring things with you through it). But to make the trips SLOWER does not make it FUN or EFFECIENT. And in this day and age, where playing a game should be a stress reliever and not a time-consuming CHORE, well...need I say more?

The land dino argument is the major argument for the PvE discussion except for speculations on the devs intentions on things like time needed to cross the map etc. I think its reasonable that flyers are faster then land dinos because they can fly but pre-nerf the difference was to large. Now their main advantage is they can skip obstacles and fights so depending if u have to cross a lot obstacles or not a land dino is an alternative. And u might noticed the quetz platform saddle is now a level 97 item what says a lot about the devs thought about moving lots stuff around the entire map. Looking forward to see how people play on fresh servers without quetz platforms in the first month.

20 hours ago, Savvygamer said:

I used to play ark full time as part of an alpha pvp tribe. Now I play by myself casually on a pve server. I had some friends help me out in the beginning and I had stuff left over from our old pve server that we kept refreshed. So I have good cw/Stam quetzs, good wyverns, ankies, theris, beavers, and doeds. Resource harvesting now is now almost impossible to do as a casual player after this flyer nerf. When they officially boosted the rates to 2x, I could farm the entire island's metal in 2 hours by myself and being in a great yield. Post nerf? I'm lucky to clear a mountain in that time. Need pearls? Can get max of a few hundred. Polymer? If there's penguins, 500 in an hour. All this flyer nerf did was make the most mundane and time consuming parts of the game take 10x longer as a single player. Yes pteras needed a speed nerf and quetzs a Stam nerf, but the absolute fisting they have to all flyers have made farming resources the primary way you spend your time in ark. This is not a way to get people to speak positively about their experiences with ark. I was once apart of, second in charge, of a 100 man mega tribe and things were obviously easy. But now I see how ridiculous it is for anybody who wants to just play casually by themselves or with a small group. Bring back upgradeable speed, just set a cap! No more than 2x base speed, and decrease the Stam drain on these flyers a little bit. WC said this would be an iterative process but they haven't done anything since it hit console and it appears they really just don't care how the community feels. Rant over. 

Couldn't agree with you more. I sometimes wish they had laws that prevent people like the staff at Wild Card from reproducing. we need less people like them in this world (ignorant idiots who continually go against their customers),
Look at steam stats for the last 4 months to get a picture of how badly this game is failing with the current idiots in charge of it. 100k average players to 66k and thats just PC!, cant imagine how bad the consoles have been hit. Wild Card is truly blinded by their ego’s and their obsession with getting attention on twitter, they fail to even post information on this (the official) website. and look at the front page of this disgusting website, it looks hideous on any resolution other then "ridiculously huge". it has an image 1,918px wide.... plus MORE content around it....... look up browser statistics and you'll see approximately more than 50% dont even have higher than 1920... words do not describe how stupid Wild Card staff are.

49 minutes ago, MostSpy said:

Couldn't agree with you more. I sometimes wish they had laws that prevent people like the staff at Wild Card from reproducing. we need less people like them in this world (ignorant idiots who continually go against their customers),
Look at steam stats for the last 4 months to get a picture of how badly this game is failing with the current idiots in charge of it. 100k average players to 66k and thats just PC!, cant imagine how bad the consoles have been hit. Wild Card is truly blinded by their ego’s and their obsession with getting attention on twitter, they fail to even post information on this (the official) website. and look at the front page of this disgusting website, it looks hideous on any resolution other then "ridiculously huge". it has an image 1,918px wide.... plus MORE content around it....... look up browser statistics and you'll see approximately more than 50% dont even have higher than 1920... words do not describe how stupid Wild Card staff are.

You do know that the numbers you gave are for peak player count, not average player count, right? The average player count for just the last 30 days still beats the average from October, November and December of last year.

7 hours ago, M4Millican said:

Try and join a tribe! It makes the game much more enjoyable.

I tried this a few times, literally beat my toon and threw him in a river, claimed my home and all my stuff. I was new so it was a learning experience. With that said, some groups are great. Just check ownership settings of a tribe and be sure you agree with them all before you join!!  With the right group of buds, yes the game experience is way increased!!   We just need an in-game trading/auction system now!!  I used one years ago in Ultima Online (Best Game Ever) and also in WoW. Handy to swap and be able to obtain things your char has trouble getting!

59 minutes ago, Bigskybear said:

You do know that the numbers you gave are for peak player count, not average player count, right? The average player count for just the last 30 days still beats the average from October, November and December of last year.

So here's the real data, you interpret it how you want
http://steamcharts.com/app/346110

Peak:
Feb: 100,723
March: 75,022
April: 73,857
Last 30 days: 66,342
----------------------------
100k to 66k in 4 months.

I interpret this as 34 thousand less people playing at peak times on PC (or 34%) SINCE FEB 2017.:

11 minutes ago, MostSpy said:

There is always people here who defend Wild Card, and will say anything to validate their rubbish arguments.

Your the 3rd person I've seen in as little as a day, defending these poor stats, one of the other 3 people was a mod on this forum who gave me a "warning" and deleted my post for mentioning these stats, and he sent me a nice little message along with warning calling me a liar. The mods name was something like "ThzNutz"

So here's the real data, you interpret it how you want - and Wild Card feel free to delete my post and ban my forum account for posting it, I really do not care.
I interpret this as 34 thousand less people playing at peak times on PC (or 34%) SINCE FEB 2017.:

http://steamcharts.com/app/346110

Peak:
Feb: 100,723
March: 75,022
April: 73,857
Last 30 days: 66,342
----------------------------
100k to 66k in 4 months.

It should also be noted, for the purpose of this data we are examining, that there was a Steam sale on Ark back in February. The game was being sold for $9.89. That would explain the huge boom in peak player count. The last time it came close to that number was the first three months after it was released. 

Also, to get a good idea of how the game fares now as far as numbers are concerned, you want to compare it to the numbers from the same months of the previous year. This takes into account outside influences like holidays, tax season, change in weather, etc.

With that method, you can see that the average (not peak) player count is actually higher this year from February to April than February to April 2016.

Now, some of this may be runoff from the Steam sale still, but if anything, it still shows that the game is NOT on a downward spiral where player count is concerned. It would instead seem to suggest that the game is doing better than last year.

But hey. It's just a rubbish argument, right?

Just now, SLlCK said:

so you have ascendant blueprints that cover everything you need at all your bases?   like say an ascendant pike bp placed at 5 different locations around the map? or do you just make up a bunch of pikes and take them to each base?  what happens when you lose a couple of your pre made pikes and don't have enough spares for everyone?  Does someone go without? or do you all stand around for half an hour while someone rides their flying snail back to the main base to make some replacements? 

Like i said from the beginning its all about being prepare and aware of what you got and need. or else your going to have the problems you mention, i dont need ascendant blueprints on all my bases, all the things your pointing out has one simple solution be organize and prepare, know what you have, super simple.

or better yet, you ever get all set up to do a boss battle and when you go to put in the tributes you find out you only have 15 sharks teeth instead of 16 because of the microscopic blue on blue text?   Now what?  Looks like everyone is standing around doing nothing for the next 20 minutes while I go back and get one...

Again be prepare lol use the wiki check what you need before trying for the boss and you wont feel like a jack.

the only thing the flier nerf has done for me is make the map much much much smaller because I refuse to spend half my day traveling.

i dont like the flyer nerf either but i know how to adapt and prepare my self , i dont like wasting my time or others.

Archived