Taming a Quetzal post nerf.

booned

1 hour ago, booned said:

So I haven't tried to tame one since the nerf, but with the major speed reduction are they easier to KO using the Argentavis method now or do wild ones continue to fly at high speed into redwoods?

use either another quetzal and trap the quetz u want to tame inside [platform saddle needed]

or the easist way [did it alone] get on a tapejara, board the front seat[ the one where you can shoot], order the tapejara to attack any nearby creature [it lifts off] after it lifts off order it to move to various places in the air and voila ! you can steer it. follow the quetz while shooting tranqs at it and well that s it

Thanks for the reply, but that's not what I asked. I know how to tame a Quetzal, I've tamed many.

I was asking if wild ones still have the same speed when fleeing or have they slowed down in line with the flyer nerf.

Edit: Just re-read this and realised it comes across really condescending. I'm sorry for that! It wasn't my intention!

3 minutes ago, booned said:

Thanks for the reply, but that's not what I asked. I know how to tame a Quetzal, I've tamed many.

I was asking if wild ones still have the same speed when fleeing or have they slowed down in line with the flyer nerf.

Edit: Just re-read this and realised it comes across really condescending. I'm sorry for that! It wasn't my intention!

no problem!...they seemed slow to me as I can remember, tamed one right after the nerf, it was really easty to catch em with the tapejara

The one thing I've noticed and am not sure if it's a new mechanic or not, but don't remember it happening before is that the second your first tranq hits a quetz it will run (yeah, ok fly) for the swamps/redwood forest. Damned annoying because half the time you do knock it down it gets eaten by something before you can get it tamed. Lost several like this recently on The Island.

They seem to end up flying low in the redwoods and I suspect this is a new mechanic to try and coax you in low on your flyers so that the Thylas can knock you down. Personally I stay high and just track the Quetz shooting it from higher up until it comes back out again.

1 hour ago, Antitheft2 said:

The one thing I've noticed and am not sure if it's a new mechanic or not, but don't remember it happening before is that the second your first tranq hits a quetz it will run (yeah, ok fly) for the swamps/redwood forest. Damned annoying because half the time you do knock it down it gets eaten by something before you can get it tamed. Lost several like this recently on The Island.

They seem to end up flying low in the redwoods and I suspect this is a new mechanic to try and coax you in low on your flyers so that the Thylas can knock you down. Personally I stay high and just track the Quetz shooting it from higher up until it comes back out again.

It did that before the nerf pal. It's annoying as hell, they all seem to gravitate towards redwood.

6 hours ago, booned said:

It did that before the nerf pal. It's annoying as hell, they all seem to gravitate towards redwood.

6 hours ago, WolfeUK said:

I like that it heads for the redwood forest and not the ocean, lost many from drowning

As for OP Q i tamed one the other day using my Argy with a scorpio, i was able to keep up with it after the scorpio stung it

Wrong quote sorry /\

Its cause they flee to 5050. Always have

I tamed a few quetz last week and ive noticed they still fly the same speed.. i use a stamina tapejara and its a pain.. but totally do able. Just have to really anticipate their movement and pray to rngeus it drops somewhere nice haha

8 hours ago, Antitheft2 said:

Meant to quote you instead of wolf on my post

• Volunteer Moderator
9 hours ago, booned said:

As far as I know and from what I've seen they haven't changed the speed on the wild ones. They still take off like a bat out of hell.

They still take off pretty fast and from what I've seen they never slow down. They continue to flee pretty fast forever. Not sure if that was changed as that was with the first flyer nerf. Pretty easy now using a Pteranodon as they are pretty fast. Grappling hook to it, fly a little in front of the Queztal, hop off, shoot it, reel in, hop back on your bird and follow it and continue the method. At least, that's a solo method I use, not sure  if anyone else does it that way but it works great for me.

Duo tamed a few last weekend. I flew our biggest Tapejara (1k stam/weight) and a friend rode on the back shooting. He likes the rear seat because there is less obstruction. The Quetzal acted no different than the ones we had tamed pre-nerf, it would sprint when hit, then slow down after 10+ seconds, allowing us to catch up, move a bit ahead and under it and then dart it again. The hardest part (not really hard, more like annoying) was having to land multiple times on the Tapejara due to the stamina drain.

Its always funny how the Quetzal will stay in the area you found it til it gets close to dropping and then bolts into the dangerous Redwoods and that Battle Royale of a river north of it to make taming it more of a pain. We lost one to a alpha raptor that dropped off the redwoods cliff above us on the beach.

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/05/2017 at 5:10 PM, Voidstar said:

use either another quetzal and trap the quetz u want to tame inside [platform saddle needed]

or the easist way [did it alone] get on a tapejara, board the front seat[ the one where you can shoot], order the tapejara to attack any nearby creature [it lifts off] after it lifts off order it to move to various places in the air and voila ! you can steer it. follow the quetz while shooting tranqs at it and well that s it

I still like the q trap . That way you can still tame in the air safetly. Just take a ptera to regain stam on your own q

I've been trying to gather material and level a decent Tape to go get a Quetz. I started on SE and haven't even ported to another server yet. I've managed to eat 1 Quetz egg, starve a baby, and Starve an adult, that was just a few yards outside of the range of my full trough. Now either I manage to tame one, or find someone to trade for a decent adult one. But I can't get into the trading forums yet, and I don't want to be that guy who randomly jumps servers spamming global, lol. So I have the best gear and longneck I can make, and a few sheep to slaughter for meat. Here's hoping hehe.

Archived