Fishing Tips & Tricks

Rocky

I'm pretty new to the whole fishing scene on this game and I am looking for some advice. I'm looking to farm a whole mess of blueprints by fishing but I need to know exactly what is the most effective method for gathering a bunch of fish in an extremely small area to increase my total fish caught per minute. So I had heard about some people using the Pachyrhinosaurus for fishing somehow. Also, what is the best method for getting fishing bait? I live on Blue ob island on the Center and the swamp is waay far for gathering leech blood. I've heard you can use tree sap as well, is there a particular method that is used for gaining sap in mass quantities effectively? The redwoods is a few minute jaunt over a bit of water. Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Leech blood is much more effective than sap, you're going to want that regardless of the length of the trip. Yes, pachyrhinos can work, you can build a small pen in the water out of wood dino gates or something similar, use the aggro spray, swim into the pen with the fish following, then close the door and either use the other spray and swim out of the pen or walk onto the beach. Too much of a hassle for me, I usually just go around looking for big fish then kill off the small ones nearby (generally under 1.3-1.4x ish)

47 minutes ago, Harrist14 said:

Leech blood is much more effective than sap, you're going to want that regardless of the length of the trip. Yes, pachyrhinos can work, you can build a small pen in the water out of wood dino gates or something similar, use the aggro spray, swim into the pen with the fish following, then close the door and either use the other spray and swim out of the pen or walk onto the beach. Too much of a hassle for me, I usually just go around looking for big fish then kill off the small ones nearby (generally under 1.3-1.4x ish)

That's actually really great to know, so Leech blood is much better then. What have you found to be the most effective way of obtaining said leech blood? Walking a spino through the swamp and chomping or is there a better more efficient way to obtain it?

3 hours ago, Rocky said:

That's actually really great to know, so Leech blood is much better then. What have you found to be the most effective way of obtaining said leech blood? Walking a spino through the swamp and chomping or is there a better more efficient way to obtain it?

Gigas are good, therizinos are fantastic at harvesting it if you have a good one leveled in power, I've gotten over a hundred from diseased leeches with my theri, spino/Rex aren't bad, wolves are good but obviously then you have to watch out for kapros

A couple pieces of advice for ya. First, forget leech blood and sap, just go out and tame a queen bee, turn her into a beehive and carry it back to your base and place it. Throw rare flowers inside the hives inventory and it will start making honey. That solves your bait situation.

Second thing, the effectiveness of the fishing rod and the quality of the fish are direct correlation to the POSSIBLE loot table. Higher quality rods + higher quality fish can equal better blueprints.

That being said, you are never guaranteed to get blueprints if you catch a big fish, I've had 2.6 salmon give me nothing but raw meat one fish, and then the next 2.6 salmon gives me a screen full of blueprints. Its random and there is nothing you can do about it.

So, get your honey farm going (1 beehive is more than enough), get a good quality rod and target good quality larger fish.

To single these fish out, we use wooden fence foundations and thatch/wood walls, you can build around the coel or for salmon you can place a wooden dino gate on the pen, punch another salmon nearby the one you wish to lead into the pen, get aggro from it and lead it into the pen to lock it in. You have now singled it out from other fish, happy catching :)

1 hour ago, bulldog1986 said:

A couple pieces of advice for ya. First, forget leech blood and sap, just go out and tame a queen bee, turn her into a beehive and carry it back to your base and place it. Throw rare flowers inside the hives inventory and it will start making honey. That solves your bait situation.

Second thing, the effectiveness of the fishing rod and the quality of the fish are direct correlation to the POSSIBLE loot table. Higher quality rods + higher quality fish can equal better blueprints.

That being said, you are never guaranteed to get blueprints if you catch a big fish, I've had 2.6 salmon give me nothing but raw meat one fish, and then the next 2.6 salmon gives me a screen full of blueprints. Its random and there is nothing you can do about it.

So, get your honey farm going (1 beehive is more than enough), get a good quality rod and target good quality larger fish.

To single these fish out, we use wooden fence foundations and thatch/wood walls, you can build around the coel or for salmon you can place a wooden dino gate on the pen, punch another salmon nearby the one you wish to lead into the pen, get aggro from it and lead it into the pen to lock it in. You have now singled it out from other fish, happy catching :)

re-first. leech blood>honey>sap as the formula for bait effectiveness. factors in with loot. i'd still value the leech blood over a far common and practical beehive.

re-second. formula: fish size x bait type x rod effectiveness

re-third. fish has to stay within 2-12 in quality for the loot to have bps. https://youtu.be/1O55okx8GQ4?t=649

that being said, SCRIPTS are an option which, if you factor in the quality cap, makes the honey viable.

1 hour ago, eESTlane said:

re-first. leech blood>honey>sap as the formula for bait effectiveness. factors in with loot. i'd still value the leech blood over a far common and practical beehive.

re-second. formula: fish size x bait type x rod effectiveness

re-third. fish has to stay within 2-12 in quality for the loot to have bps. https://youtu.be/1O55okx8GQ4?t=649

that being said, SCRIPTS are an option which, if you factor in the quality cap, makes the honey viable.

Being that he is a distance away from Leech blood, it might not be viable for him to do consistently, so that is why the honey is recommended. Your information based on quality = blueprints is outdated or incorrect, I have caught plenty of fish above 12 quality that have had blueprints in it, including the really stupid OP ones, like 500% compounds and such (most fish above 3.0 will hit that quality).

43 minutes ago, Fool said:

Tried fishing yesterday and the line get snapping as soon as a fish got on it. Was using an apprentice pole. Any cause for that? Did not even get a chance to hit buttons.

Have any macros running that could be hitting any other buttons? Going into inventory or anything like that will also cause the rod to be reset and the bait lost.

Archived