The Main Problem With Ark

Crows

I know what the main problem is with Ark. No, it's not flyer balance/nerf, no it's not the lag and exploits (they exist in every game) it's the content gap between small tribes and big tribes.

Before you say "Well, small tribes can still progress end game and get tek gear" Yeah, they can - by going overboard on bosses to make up for all the lost members. 

I'm not complaining about me and my small tribe not being able to do content by the way, because we already have tek and we're a 2-3 man tribe on official PvP but guess how we got that? mainly killing bosses with our alliances who're 10+ man tribes. We're privileged, lucky, yes. Most players aren't. Most players on Ark are either solo or in small tribes who're being held back from progression, even if that means slowly progressing because they lack members, there's no mechanic/feature to SLOWLY progress. Either go big, or go home.

Before you say "They should join a bigger tribe or recruit more members" No, there's too much hassle with recruiting randoms players or players you just kinda know online, even with ranks set etc there's still A LOT of insiding and trouble-causing going on, so most of us don't trust inviting anybody into our tribes where we've spent months on our bases and gathering materials, BPs, tames and breeding tames, etc. We're not going to risk it, simple as. 

My quickly-thought-up solution: Make it so that boss difficulty scales when there's at least 1-4 players in a boss arena using the usual methods, like a gang of Rex's, or make it so that the Tek caves can be solo'd/completed by small tribes (with challenge, obviously) and have a mechanic where they can farm element, without just cheesing it like the big tribes do, lots of members going ham with Rex's or fab pistols, etc. 

Just my thoughts anyway.

2 hours ago, Goaty said:

But then the alpha tribes could litrally grind boses with 1 player. Tek isn't ment to be easy to get that's the point. I'm sorry but ark is ment to be played together, not solo. Go unofficial if you want solo or single player.

Exactly. I think that solo players should only be allowed to spawn in the deep ocean in the middle of some eels. Or deep inside the swamp cave. That'll teach them trying to play on officials.

Well I understand being a solo tribesmen on an Official server that to be successful at a realistic rate you need to network. I have built lots of a good relationships to make up for my lack of man power, so in terms of endgame content I have jumped in with other groups of tribes of 3-4 people. I have met a lot of really cool folks on our server by just reaching out which I think is kinda the point for a solo player. I do it out of preference as well because one my OCD cant stand other people moving/organizing my stuff, and two I dont like babysitting (keeping people from starting problems)

ARK being a survival game it can't be surprising that more people to delegate makes surviving easier. Also being a "living" game you can't have multipliers that factor in each persons situation or your head count because that will be rapidly exploited. If you're a solo player you have to understand that mechanic, so either get out there and ask for help or join a boosted server that allows you to progress at your desired rate. 

I use my SP world to test things so using spawn in's and stuff so that I can "Try it before I buy it" so I dont waste my time on official for big projects. 

Just my 2 cents. 

5 hours ago, Crows said:

I know what the main problem is with Ark. No, it's not flyer balance/nerf, no it's not the lag and exploits (they exist in every game) it's the content gap between small tribes and big tribes.

I personally believe that some of the coming structures, weapons, and armor will balance that. That being said, if you're clever you can still survive as a small tribe. There are things like the Ballista that you can use to your advantage before having Tek Gear. Now I've never shot a player wearing Tek gear with a turret (minigun, rocket, catapult, ballista), but I'd imagine it will still do catastrophic damage to the Tek Armor and the survivor wearing it. There are many tactics you can utilise to stay alive even when it's just you and your buddy.

Of course I could be completely wrong about that. My online experience with ARK has been solely on console, where people are easy to kill because of lag and my having the pro console which has better framerate and 1080p resolution. Most fights end up with me winning because of the extra frames i get everywhere even while moving very fast. I'm guessing the difference in difficulty between PC PVP and Console PVP must be immense. After all, nothing beats a keyboard and mouse.

Edit: Textures for guns and certain objects look terrible on Console. Thank god i can afford a nice pc next month

Archived