Ark patch 275 the impact the daeodon

Woodenbox

Ark's newest update is very promising with the add of the giant bees and other creatures such as the daeodon but sometimes I do wonder as a player whether the daeodon is overpowered or not I will give my opinion but I would like to hear from those who read this i would like to hear what you all think but in my opinion, as an ark pvper i think they are somewhat because of their healing if you had to fight a high lvl tamed one with a rider the daeodon possibly could heal and out rank the dps of the attacking dino. This is my personal opinion I have not tried it out but i could be possible please let me know what you think!   

Daeodon is fairly well balanced. If anything I would nerf it's health down to about 500 but the healing is hardly overpowered. A 150 perfect tame Daeodon, on average, will last 12 minutes or so of healing while healing with group heal (food rate drop of 67/s, heals tames at 20hp/s) with no sign of stacking. You can maintain it much longer with cooked meat, but you need a LOT of it. It has a niche role but doesn't displace other creatures out of theirs. That is ideally the goal. Introduce tames that have specific niches of their own or compete evenly within other niches without trivializing their competition. The Daeodon is a good example of this. An example of a niche out of balance is that of the early game 'beast of burden's shared by iguanodons and parasaurs. Iguanodons are objectively superior in everyway trivializing the parasaur.

1 hour ago, Sup3riorArs3nal said:

An example of a niche out of balance is that of the early game 'beast of burden's shared by iguanodons and parasaurs. Iguanodons are objectively superior in everyway trivializing the parasaur.

That could be argued. Iguanodon takes twice as long and twice the narcotics, with half the effectiveness. Unless you use kibble, and micro raptor kibble wouldn't really be considered early game. Add to that how parasaurs are much more common, and you can see that parasaurs are still going to be more prevalent for early game use. The iguanodon may be superior, and not take much more to tame before you have the kibble, but new players will still be much more likely to have parasaurs first, and likely for a noticeable amount of time, before acquiring an iguanodon.

22 minutes ago, Quirky said:

That could be argued. Iguanodon takes twice as long and twice the narcotics, with half the effectiveness. Unless you use kibble, and micro raptor kibble wouldn't really be considered early game. Add to that how parasaurs are much more common, and you can see that parasaurs are still going to be more prevalent for early game use. The iguanodon may be superior, and not take much more to tame before you have the kibble, but new players will still be much more likely to have parasaurs first, and likely for a noticeable amount of time, before acquiring an iguanodon.

Twice the time to tame, but:

A Level 25 Iguanodon takes 32 minutes to tame and comes out at level 29 with assorted berries.

For the same time investment you could tame a level 65 parasaur that comes out at 77.

Assuming average stat distribution you're looking at

Iguanodons vs Parasaur

Health: 450 vs 640

Stamina: Functionally unlimited vs 105 seconds of sprint

Weight: 405 vs 311.1

Melee: 30 per hit vs 18.6 per hit

Speed: 1438 vs 765.4

The only real advantage is health, and marginally so as a ~60% advantage in melee damage is better than a ~40% advantage in health. Not that low level early burden mounts should be fighting, meaning speed, stamina, and weight are considerably more important, for which the iguanodon is far superior. No doubt they gather berries better and also have a jump for increased mobility. There is literally no reason to tame a parasaur over an iguanodon at any scale, as even for the same time investment they are far superior.

10 hours ago, Sup3riorArs3nal said:

Twice the time to tame, but:

A Level 25 Iguanodon takes 32 minutes to tame and comes out at level 29 with assorted berries.

For the same time investment you could tame a level 65 parasaur that comes out at 77.

Assuming average stat distribution you're looking at

Iguanodons vs Parasaur

Health: 450 vs 640

Stamina: Functionally unlimited vs 105 seconds of sprint

Weight: 405 vs 311.1

Melee: 30 per hit vs 18.6 per hit

The only real advantage is health, and marginally so as a ~60% advantage in melee damage is better than a ~40% advantage in health. Not that low level early burden mounts should be fighting, meaning speed, stamina, and weight are considerably more important, for which the iguanodon is far superior. No doubt they gather berries better and also have a jump for increased mobility. There is literally no reason to tame a parasaur over an iguanodon at any scale, as even for the same time investment they are far superior.

Not arguing any of that if you consider early game to be 'after' you've gotten a foothold, and not starting from waking up on the beach.

I can create a new survivor, walk along the beach, find a low lvl parasaur, position my self so that when I attack it will run into a cliff face, then proceed to punch it unconscious. For that matter, the lvl doesn't even really matter. I could do it with a lvl 150 if I happened to find one. I could even wait till its unconscious before harvesting berries for it. I actually did just this with a lvl 125 on my second survivor ever before I was lvl 10.

Now, tell me. When can you go after an iguanodon? After you have bolas and tranq arrows I'd imagine. And due to how common parasaurs are I can be pretty much guaranteed to have a lvl 120 minimum one from the get go, so what lvl iguanodon would I want to find to replace it? How long will it take me to find?

2 hours ago, Quirky said:

Not arguing any of that if you consider early game to be 'after' you've gotten a foothold, and not starting from waking up on the beach.

I can create a new survivor, walk along the beach, find a low lvl parasaur, position my self so that when I attack it will run into a cliff face, then proceed to punch it unconscious. For that matter, the lvl doesn't even really matter. I could do it with a lvl 150 if I happened to find one. I could even wait till its unconscious before harvesting berries for it. I actually did just this with a lvl 125 on my second survivor ever before I was lvl 10.

Now, tell me. When can you go after an iguanodon? After you have bolas and tranq arrows I'd imagine. And due to how common parasaurs are I can be pretty much guaranteed to have a lvl 120 minimum one from the get go, so what lvl iguanodon would I want to find to replace it? How long will it take me to find?

22 stones from a slingshot will take down a level 25 Iguanodon. A level 65 Parasaur takes 30. Iguanodons are also nearly as common as Parasaurs on the Island. I kill just as many of them on my meat runs through South 3 as I do Parasaurs. 

Time investment on a 150 berry tame parasaur equals a level 65 Iguanodon. Parasaur would come out at 167, Iguanodon at 73. Again, assuming average stat distribution.

Iguanodon vs Parasaur

Health: 750 vs 1160

Stamina: Functionally Unlimited vs 170 seconds sprinting

Weight: 450 vs 374.4

Melee: 37.5 per hit vs 26.4 per hit

Knockout: 43 stones vs 61 stones

Again, Iguanodons are far superior for their niche at every scale. Only advantage the parasaur has is health, which is overshadowed by the Iguanodon's much higher melee. The only advantage Parasaurs have are their earlier saddle, but a tamed iguanodon is more capable of defending you and itself, and a saddled parasaur offers little additional advantages over having one on follow as they are primarily for hauling stuff.

Archived