The DEVs actually listened to us!

Varanus8

As all of us console players know today we got the new update. Today when I logged on to ark I was pleasantly surprised to see I got a free mind wipe, but more surprised to hear a beautiful and familiar HONK HONK HONK! Of about ten quetzals in my base. Yep our giant half scaly geese are back they must have all caught laryngitis for a while. This is significant because there was a post made about the old quetz shortly after the first patch of new sounds so the devs actually cared enough about our feedback to change it, well done devs! Now I have to say all the new sounds in this update are FANTASTIC! The first sound patch it seemed most creatures that were affected were trying to gargle some marbles (some were quite excellent though.) This time I'm much more impressed, I'm loving those new giga sounds and the new music is so much better. These are the kind of changes that will never effect gameplay but increase the quality of the game significantly.

9 minutes ago, Xxtheclashxx said:

I wish we had the old rex roar back on the xbox. There's no depth to the sound. The giga now sounds like a car engine that doesn't start. 

Beat me to it. The giga sounds like a squeak toy with a robotic effect on it. I really love this game and the thought the devs have put into it (honestly there could be a college course for it) but seriously, who tf let that new giga roar through? 

The rex roar was the best, hands down, drop the Mic, sound of the game. It was big, loud, and terrifying harkening back to the glory days of the first Jurassic park movie. It made me want to ride them and roar constantly. I even stopped in the middle of fights just to hear it. 

But sadly they dumbed it down and it sounds like it has a bad case of bronchitis.....

The old Rex roar was great... idk who decided it was cool to have the Rex sound like it's been gargling gravel for a week, but seriously, the old roar was perfect. Bring it back. The saying "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" applies here, WC. You guys do good work, given time to reiterate, but this change was not only unneeded, but is pretty much hated by the community at large. Every comment I've seen on the subject has NOT been supportive of this particular change. Seriously, this was a misstep. Bring the old Rex roar back. The new one sounds so weak it's just silly.

Most of the new sounds are good except for a choice few. 

Question: Are Bronto secretly a MechWarrior in disguise? I can't get over that heavy metal clanking sound every time they take a step. Sound designers, TF were you thinking?

WC Sound designer 1: "Brontosaurus footsteps?"

WC Sound designer 2: "Just bang some pots and pans together and call it a day"

Wait...we got Quetzal's old idle 'qua qua qua's back? I have yet to tame one since restarting our map (I'm on PC).

Also on the subject of sounds, I'm finding myself actually having a hard time telling some dino's apart by sound now. Maybe I jstu got to use to the old sounds, but now I can't tell the difference between a raptor and a Trike =\ Most of the sounds are great, but a choice few still sound very weird. The Bronto especially. It sounds too...metallic. I miss it's old whale calls, now it sounds like some strange metal beast and doesn't fit...

The sound designer work is really disspointing so far. Every dinosaurs foot step sound like walking AT-ST from Star Wars, raptors sound so damn awful, quetzal got old distress call for its new idle sounds and old honking sound was added in every sound it makes, trex roar sounds weak, pachy and parasaur make no idle sounds, carno's new sound just do not fit, ptera flapping wings sounds like a wet plunger... From a person who worked on Ori and the Blind Forest I expected something much more better than this. 

17 hours ago, JaHakk said:

There are tons of other things that need to be looked at before sounds and new music. There was nothing wrong with the sounds before the patch. Why concentrate on these things when there is so much more that needs real attention and fixing. I just don't get it. 

Well to be a bit protective on WC on this: you know, probably the sound department had nothing else to do, and since they are not programmers and cant fix the irritating bugs (because they are probably not CODER devs but audio devs) they picked up this from their backlog.

So it does not mean the sound overhaul was more important than fixing critical issues... nevertheless, I'm not too satisfied with the result, but thats a different topic.

Archived