Probably being covered a thousand times, but the building in this game sucks

WolfeUK

Ive payed Ark for years now, and still the building in this game sucks, even now after all this time i still cant place the pieces in the right place, meaning i have to break them and try again, sometimes ending up with me having to go back to a plain floor,
The ceiling doesn't sit flush with foundations meaning you have to do the pillar bug, but then that means the walls dont line up properly between the 2 foundations, and that just one example

I know you have given use the switch button (Y), but all that does it switch which foundation is sitting on when you have 2 of them together, so its really not helping, and at the moment all its doing is switching places many times a second, so its 50/50 if it will be right 

I love this game, can see me doing 1000's of hours, and i love to build, but this is so frustrating i end up rage quiting so many times from it, and i dont want to get pissed off at this game 

Is it so hard to implement a decent build program in this game, i played Conan when it was released and even that game can do it right first time (and the build is very similar), and they even do hexagons ??

Yep, was just getting annoyed with this last night when I had to demolish a balcony (ceiling tiles) in one place and a ramp in another (sloped ceiling) just to replace some stone walls with metal ones.

...and skipped replacing another wall segment completely to avoid the possibility of having to rebuild half my power grid.-_-

Most mechanics will probably be updated/smoothed out/overhauled in beta phase. We are nearing the end of alpha finally, but we're not there yet.

As someone who also enjoys building, right now I'd say I enjoy having built more than I do actually building. Some of the mechanics are atrocious and cause no end of frustration.

I hope one huge change is making it impossible to replace a structure with the same structure, ie you can't replace a stone wall with another stone wall, etc. One of the biggest problems I have is the sheer amount of materials I've wasted over the years I've been playing due to lag or poor snap points making me accidentally replace things instead of placing a new structure as I intended to do. I know S+ has this feature but I'm not currently playing on a server that has it, and I never build anything directly with mod structures anyway in case the mod ever breaks or is removed from the server. Seen it happen before, not pretty.

The other bane of my existence is uneven terrain, aka 90% of the map. I'm hard pressed to find an area I can build an actual foundation on that's big enough to be worth my time. Everything is pillars and ceilings, which means putting in the time and materials to get a nice clean elevated foundation with no pillar nipples, and then having to constantly rip it up anyway when animals fall thorough the structures and get stuck. This is especially frustrating for hatcheries, since fertilized eggs and babies absolutely do need protection from both wilds and other players, regardless of server. Oddly enough this has never been an issue with any aviary I've built, something about babies just makes them extremely prone to falling through floors.

I'd also love to see more variety in the building pieces so everything isn't just a box without having to manipulate structure collisions and potentially lagging out the server just to have aesthetically pleasing designs.

Tree platforms need so much love. I really don't understand why they don't simply act like a foundation and allow structures to snap directly onto them, especially when nothing we have available can make a clean foundation on top of the platform due to the lack of dynamic pieces.

I agree, much love and fettling is required on almost every aspect of building but my own personal bugbear is building on uneven ground. It irritates me to have to switch to pillars and ceilings when making the floor. There's tricks that allow you to use foundations further but most of them still have limits, are difficult to implement and cost a lot in sacrificial materials. 

A close second is flicking between snap points with no input from me. I get that it may be difficult to get the correct one when there's a few close together but once it's on one it shouldn't move to another without me changing my view. It makes me scream when I get the right one but it jumps just as I go to place it. 

And on a more individual note, can the place structure button on the xbox be restricted to just the melee button rather than both the melee and jump buttons as it is now? I envy the pc ability to jump and place high structures. We don't need 2 buttons to do one job. 

Archived