Prepping for bosses

BobRoss

Hello everyone,

so we are really starting to prepare for bossfights now and i have a few questions to people that have experience.

i will give a quick summary to what i gathered in the past and would like to know if this was still true. we have 10 people participating so keep that in mind.

Brood: bred (pref imprinted) rexes with riders for all difficulties. no armor, no weapons and saddles with 92.6 armor.

Megapithicus: no dinos (or a couple take turtles) and 10 players with fur (what quality? does it matter?) and guns (im thinking AR and FABBY pistols 250% dmg) for all difficulties

Dragon: Turtle(s) to draw aggro while players shoot with same weapons as mega equipped with (high quality?) ghillie armor.

now i want to know, are these the most used/safest tactics? what would you change up and why? what is your experience with it?

some questions:

1. what quality fur is required/recommended for the ape? 

2. what weapons would we use for the ape? what % dmg should i be looking for?

3. what quality ghillie is required/recommended for the dragon? and do we use the same weapons as we used for the ape?

thanks in advance!

We first used ARs for the Ape, but we found we were hitting our rexes a bit too often so we switched to Fab Snipers I think, we were just 3 as well so maybe with 10 the AR spray would be worse, likewise, maybe we're all just terrible shots! Obviously the spray wouldn't be so much of a concern if you are gonna try get somewhere safe and shoot him. We used JM/MC AR's and Fab Snipers, and just generally our highest level armour (we did it on The Center so there was no cold to contend with).

For the Brood we didn't even have as good saddles as you guys, our rexes had 25-35k health and 400%+ melee, we took in the full twenty I think.

IDK what level the Broodmother and Ape used to be on The Center map, but we did it before the patch so our rexes had to survive two fights one after the other, so I'd assume that level of health would be alright for certainly easy n medium, dunno what the jump to hard is like though.

Couldn't really tell ya bout the Dragon but I wish you luck

You mean only alpha mode bosses?

You have to glitch broodmother and dragon with rexes, so they get stuck and dont attack anymore. If that will be fixed. You need to find a spot from where you can take them out with weapons, without them beeing able to hit you.

You can get the ape stuck with rexes as well but it's not as reliable as with the other two. Currently the ape can be done with weapons, by going on the rocks of the left side of the stais, it can't get up there and you can shoot it from there. Take one or two turtles with you to distrect it from you and go up the stairs, then left to go up the rocks so you look in the direction you spawned in.

Tank turtles dont realy work anymore since they have been nerfed over and over again. Maybe if you realy have 10 people with good weapons the bosses go down fast enough. But i wouldnt count on tank turtles.

Another option i am testing right now is therizinos. If you breed realy good ones, they do actualy more damage than rexes because of the higher attack speed. Have a bigger arc for there attack, which makes them excelent at dealing with the minons while damaging the boss and can heal with cake. My current therizinos can eat 4-5 cakes befor they die on ape medium. I only have a 57 armor saddle right now and i can breed them much better.

I am not sure if they can take down hard bosses when they are maxed out. They can take down all bosses on medium reliably and glitchless. The glitchless part beeing my goal.

10 minutes ago, Thorium said:

You mean only alpha mode bosses?

You have to glitch broodmother and dragon with rexes, so they get stuck and dont attack anymore. If that will be fixed. You need to find a spot from where you can take them out with weapons, without them beeing able to hit you.

You can get the ape stuck with rexes as well but it's not as reliable as with the other two. Currently the ape can be done with weapons, by going on the rocks of the left side of the stais, it can't get up there and you can shoot it from there. Take one or two turtles with you to distrect it from you and go up the stairs, then left to go up the rocks so you look in the direction you spawned in.

Tank turtles dont realy work anymore since they have been nerfed over and over again. Maybe if you realy have 10 people with good weapons the bosses go down fast enough. But i wouldnt count on tank turtles.

Another option i am testing right now is therizinos. If you breed realy good ones, they do actualy more damage than rexes because of the higher attack speed. Have a bigger arc for there attack, which makes them excelent at dealing with the minons while damaging the boss and can heal with cake. My current therizinos can eat 4-5 cakes befor they die on ape medium. I only have a 57 armor saddle right now and i can breed them much better.

I am not sure if they can take down hard bosses when they are maxed out. They can take down all bosses on medium reliably and glitchless. The glitchless part beeing my goal.

we're going to use the rexes for brood definitely but for dragon i was told getting it stuck is pretty tricky so they recommended using turtles to distract it and shoot with weapons while wearing ghillie. it shouldnt aggro on you. whats your experience with this?

6 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

we're going to use the rexes for brood definitely but for dragon i was told getting it stuck is pretty tricky so they recommended using turtles to distract it and shoot with weapons while wearing ghillie. it shouldnt aggro on you. whats your experience with this?

Mine was, oh raptor it saw me, big flame, respawn :P
So definitely pay attention to where it is blowing its flames :)

30 minutes ago, Samammo said:

The higher quality gear the better, but you can probably stop freezing/burning with journeyman.

and for the Rex's, put saddles on the ones that will not have a rider too, any armour helps them 

yeah we are planning to use the 92.6 armor saddles on all 20 rexes unless we find even better :) 

Just now, BobRoss said:

did you use the turle at spawn to 'aggro' it and ghillie to shoot it from the side?

We had rexes, but we kinda messed up getting them into position and while I was running around trying to get all of them in place I forgot to keep an eye on the dragon that I had already shot a few times... Big mistake :P

Easy monkey went down in no time though.. One guy died because he figured it would be smart to run up to it on a rex...
But me and the other one kept our distance and it got eaten up in no time.

22 minutes ago, GobboKirk said:

We had rexes, but we kinda messed up getting them into position and while I was running around trying to get all of them in place I forgot to keep an eye on the dragon that I had already shot a few times... Big mistake :P

Easy monkey went down in no time though.. One guy died because he figured it would be smart to run up to it on a rex...
But me and the other one kept our distance and it got eaten up in no time.

so you used rexes for all 3 bosses, why exactly might i ask? why not go with the conventional stay out of range of the monkey and gun it down and for tragon use the turtle and ghillie tactic? not trying to sound condescending, just really curious!

16 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

so you used rexes for all 3 bosses, why exactly might i ask? why not go with the conventional stay out of range of the monkey and gun it down and for tragon use the turtle and ghillie tactic? not trying to sound condescending, just really curious!

We stayed out of the way of the monkey, just sent the rexes in first to do the damage.
Just got to be careful so they don't run off the cliff when its dead.

I was on the usual rock and shooting, but the easy one dropped so fast it wasn't really needed.

The dragon attempt ended as a giant mess though, so we'll have to re do that one again.

42 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

It's about beeing cost efficient. If you want to farm them for element you dont want to waste ressources for ammunition and weapon repair. We are speaking thousends of metal ingots per run compared to no ressources at all if dinos kill it.

44 minutes ago, GobboKirk said:

We stayed out of the way of the monkey, just sent the rexes in first to do the damage.
Just got to be careful so they don't run off the cliff when its dead.

I was on the usual rock and shooting, but the easy one dropped so fast it wasn't really needed.

The dragon attempt ended as a giant mess though, so we'll have to re do that one again.

did you sent the rexes into the megapithicus fight because you otherwise lacked damage? or could you do it without rexes too?

21 minutes ago, Thorium said:

It's about beeing cost efficient. If you want to farm them for element you dont want to waste ressources for ammunition and weapon repair. We are speaking thousends of metal ingots per run compared to no ressources at all if dinos kill it.

ah i see, but there is no risk of the megapithicus knocking rexes of? because i dont mind far,ing 10k ingots, i do mind having to raise rexes because i cannot do that :P i had to buy my imprinted rex.

2 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

did you sent the rexes into the megapithicus fight because you otherwise lacked damage? or could you do it without rexes too?

Probably could, but was just 3 of us, so it felt more natural to just let the rexes do the work for us

I was actually the only one with a gun. The thing died in less than 2 minutes with the rexes chewing on it though.

Biggest issue with that thing is not getting hit by the rock trows.. They hurt.

Just now, JaHakk said:

I have a question also as we are gearing up to do bosses. How do you set your dino's? What aggression level? Are they set on neutral or attack my target?

I set them up in groups basically. Keeping them on passive when going in and swap between neutral/passive as needed, trying to control them as much as possible.
A lot easier said than done though.

After the monkey for instance I hit passive as soon as it dies so they don't chase after adds off the cliff.

2 minutes ago, GobboKirk said:

I set them up in groups basically. Keeping them on passive when going in and swap between neutral/passive as needed, trying to control them as much as possible.
A lot easier said than done though.

After the monkey for instance I hit passive as soon as it dies so they don't chase after adds off the cliff.

Thanks for the info.

I can give you some advice regarding brood and ape.

Brood: Rexes is the way to go, if you are really with 10 people you shouldn't have any problem on easy and medium. It went so far that we did brood easy and medium with 5 people intenionally not stucking her so she spawns alot of spiders which is a great way of lvling up for higher stages.

Brood hard can be punishing if you dont get the rexes unstuck very fast, on our first try we went with 20 rexes, we were super hyped cuz easy and medium didnt pose any challenge and got punished very hard, think the first rex died after like 15 sec after the beginning, second like 20 seconds including 2 riders, the rest 8 riders did got her stuck then but failed to do enough dps ( that was with 25k hp, 650% melee, 83 armor saddle ). U have to be fast on unstucking the rexes and be fast on getting her stuck.

What worked good was not trying to get infront of her with all rexes have people ride from the back or sides to her to stuck her safely.

I would not recommend taking more the one rex per rider, it will only get more messy at the start.

Ape: We did ape on easy on medium with no glitches or parachuting somewhere where the ape can't hit you. We went there with 10 people but only 2 rexes, the strategy was one rider is kiting the ape in circles the rest gets up on the outer rim, go crazy on their Assault Rifles, if the rex rider dies one of the shooters can take over kiting.

Some record on how that went:

Tested on dedicated server, all went fine multiple times

First go on ape easy, 9 people shooting, 1 rider, 2 rex.
The rider goes in and takes aggro from small apes and the boss and starts kiting in circles, all other run up at the same time as the kiting rex, take the left side and position themselves around the boss arena and "park" the backup rex.
What acutally happend was that it started well until the ape started aggroing the backup rex and going up on the outer rim. Rex died, got aggro back as kiter and killed the ape. Hectic but fun:-)

The medium boss didn't went that well, we actually beat him after i think after 3 attempts ( bear in mind, 2k ar rifle mun, and a 285% dmg rifle * 9 , can take some time to farm that stuff periodically ) with that tactics.

What is to mention if you wanna go that road:
- Kiting the ape is no problem at all, watch out for his rock throw, dont let him get near you, pretty straight forward.
- The real problem are the small apes, they do slow you on hit, which often leads to the ape getting near you and oneshoting the rider of the rex, yes its not only the rockthrow that instagibs you but his melee aswell
- bind the pooping to a key , nothing more frustating than having distance to the ape and the rex automatically poops, takes about 1,5 -2 sec animation time where small apes can slow you which will in 70% result in a wipe, poop once you sprinted away from the small apes and the boss isn't throwing a rock, not having that keybind and not knowing when you are safe to poop costs us a victory on medium.
- the shooters and the backup rex need to be far away on the outer circle, if the boss gains aggro on you it will be difficult for the kiter to regain aggro, uncorrect positioning costs us a victory aswell

The rexes we for kiting we're like 30k life, 2,5k stam, 120+ movement, it was not even imprinted by myself.

Other than that its pretty easy aslong as the kiter does a good job, got no dmg problems at all with AR, when we wiped it was due to these small failures and bad luck getting slowed by small apes. Think it was like a 5 minutes fight max when we first beat medium

What we havent done yet (too much got bored, rage quit over flyer nerf ) is trying out another tactic. Everything like above said but one shooter takes the part of a kiter aswell and tries to get aggro on the small apes and kites em down the stairs and runs then in circles, the adds dont respawn aslong as you don't kill em. The small adds are what really makes or breaks the fight.

You can try to go without a kiter and just try to hold distance but i am pretty sure this is a very short fight, on medium the ape is already pretty fast and you woulf have to handle the small adds consistenly.

----

I might spare you on our attempts on dragon, tried the stucking tactics ( which i personally dislike alot, it's just cheating nor use of a clever mechanic or something else ) if i had come up with another strategy it would be turtles as distraction and therizinos ( + cake ) for doing dmg and taking that AR rifle with loads of ammo for the dmg if your dino falls.

Although the ape was frustating in terms of material usage and farming for it it was still the best fight mechanical wise, just not a stupid clickfest like brood, pretty intense adrenalin rush when kiting the ape.

Good luck on the boss fights

From what I'm reading everyone has put way too many points in to other stats for Boss Rexes.

Realistically, you don't need 25k Health on a Rex meant to DPS Bosses, here's how my Megatribe and I did it numerous times to farm Element;

Hard Brood we often only brought 12-14 Rexes in. ~13-15k Health each and 850%+ Melee. As soon as the Brood gets stuck (which is very easy, have the un-ridered Rexes be whistled to attack the Brood from the front, and have the Riders come in from the sides/back. Riders keep attacking while moving forward until she's stuck.) she often dies in about 6 minutes.

Hard Mega we often only brought 14-16 Rexes in, same stats. Goodluck consisntely getting the Mega stuck, but he doesn't deal a lot of damage and doesn't have a lot of health, have the Players stay quite a far ways back and just whistle the Rexes to attack the Mega. If you have good Saddles (ours were Ascendant with 116.2 AR) he won't kill them.

Hard Dragon is a different story, and easily the hardest. Bring a full 18-20 Rexes, and you have to get it stuck after the Turtle nerf. Guns just aren't possible anymore. Same strategy as the Brood, when the Dragon lands, send the riderless Rexes straight at the front of the Dragon, have the Riders come in from the sides and back, and all riders must attack and move forward until they are literally inbetween the Dragon's legs. This will result in it getting stuck in it's flying animation and makes for a ~4 minute kill.

31 minutes ago, Orion said:

From what I'm reading everyone has put way too many points in to other stats for Boss Rexes.

Realistically, you don't need 25k Health on a Rex meant to DPS Bosses, here's how my Megatribe and I did it numerous times to farm Element;

Hard Brood we often only brought 12-14 Rexes in. ~13-15k Health each and 850%+ Melee. As soon as the Brood gets stuck (which is very easy, have the un-ridered Rexes be whistled to attack the Brood from the front, and have the Riders come in from the sides/back. Riders keep attacking while moving forward until she's stuck.) she often dies in about 6 minutes.

Hard Mega we often only brought 14-16 Rexes in, same stats. Goodluck consisntely getting the Mega stuck, but he doesn't deal a lot of damage and doesn't have a lot of health, have the Players stay quite a far ways back and just whistle the Rexes to attack the Mega. If you have good Saddles (ours were Ascendant with 116.2 AR) he won't kill them.

Hard Dragon is a different story, and easily the hardest. Bring a full 18-20 Rexes, and you have to get it stuck after the Turtle nerf. Guns just aren't possible anymore. Same strategy as the Brood, when the Dragon lands, send the riderless Rexes straight at the front of the Dragon, have the Riders come in from the sides and back, and all riders must attack and move forward until they are literally inbetween the Dragon's legs. This will result in it getting stuck in it's flying animation and makes for a ~4 minute kill.

For brood I feel the stats are important to have, especially hp. We use a tank rex to distract it while we whip our horde to untangle it. Last time we did it, I got killed on the spawnpoint because the tank was stuck while I was trying to whip it, and the brood charged us. We still won though.

The problem is, it can 2,3-shot any rex with it's spit. Which it absolutely adores to spam, and does around 2k per slap with good saddles on. The good stats are useful in case you have to take a few hits, for example if the minions slow you down before you get a chance to pin it, in which case you will have to slowmo walk to it and take tons of damage.

1 hour ago, Orion said:

so for the mega you use unridden dinos only? 

for the dragon the turtle tactic no longer works? thats a bummer. seems like the only tactic is get it stuck and maul it down...

It seems that there really is no way of beating hard modes without glitching most of them other than mega which can easily just be a kite game then unload on his ass. We've done medium brood and easy mega with Rex's and they brought them down but took a fair amount of damage. We don't have very good saddles by any means (59.8 AR) and stats are decentish 25k HP and 550-650% melee, but it was still difficult. We are working on have better Rex's to do them on hard, but that seems to be a ways off at this point.

Archived