Things, vs people. I'm bringing this up, because as we all know Loyalty is not cheap, and everything comes at a cost, and "insiding" has become a regular thing in ark.

Time, you can never get it back, it defines us, and shapes us. this game teaches you or breaks you when it comes to time management, and trust on so many levels. The amount of time you have to INVEST and MANAGE along with trust. What worries me the most about this game is the same thing that has happened in other games but this game is different based on the amount of time invested, in people, and in things. Some people have invested years already. Sadly ive seen  some people having psychotic break downs to a point based on the time invested and managed  and my worries is with this game and others like it can you see it realistically reaching  the point of extortion(with trade for real money), physically harming (domestic and or physical abuse), and my greatest fear, murder of another based on time lost from a wipe, bad trade or etc, all over a game, all over digital based content. <example of it happening in other games>(http://kotaku.com/5550609/man-spends-six-months-plotting-murder-of-counter-strike-rival

Personally i believe this game is one of the greatest virtual social experiments and to a sociology  or psychology professor it would be a trove of theory's of understanding of the human mind and social changes and behavior, on what is the human condition, especially how this game effect peoples trust alone. A digital reflection of reality. Especially when it comes to basic interaction of trade to the complexity of managing multiple servers,  but then i also have seen it bring people together, family's and friends who live over long distances, but sadly i have seen more of how this game destroy friendships, break up relationships all the way to marriage, fighting between fathers and sons, along with people being such arkoholics that they lost there jobs, friends, and family by pushing them away over a game and sometimes over the edge into a drifting reality.

What is sad is that some people will spend weeks, months, and now years in party's or chat talking to people, more then they talk to there family, or love ones, and then the day comes where some people; depending on the individual will choose a Digital based Item, or revenge or ego over there friendship and relationships formed. It says something about the society in which we live, and shows a true reflection of the individual, maybe its fear of getting attached, or greed, or ego,  whatever it is, it happens.

Just like what you do, and what you say define you. When the value of things outweighs the value of people, you have lost the value of everything and should make  time you to revaluate life.  As a ark player or even a developer, moderator, or admin can you see how some of the examples above based on what is said or even your own experiences, where possibly the worst or the best experiences personal and those mentioned above, mite happen with this game more or less? If you want share some of your experiences  or things you have seen, feel free.

Kind regards, 
Gt - crackerjackx13

12 minutes ago, rororoxor said:

Someone getting murdered? No one can be THAT addicted to ark lmao

seeing that i took the time to write it, i'm sure you took the time to read it before commenting. As of yet, no one has in the community as far as i know. I love this community, the ideas, the game,but  that is my fear above all that someone would injured, hurt, extorted and at worst murder. That is why i'm bringing up the issues above,  before someone mentally, or emotionally unstable does some of the examples listed above in hopes that there will be some sort of prevention etc that will help others.

Your points reflect that there is always a solid need to be grounded in reality before one sets foot into the fictional. Its the immature, no matter how you look at it. Even from a psychology standpoint, those who aren't developed enough on a mental level begin to take things like Ark/dnd/counter strike/and/or any other fictional world too far. I'm content in knowing that yep, some duper DDOSed entire servers and forced them to crash because of rage while I could step away and be fine stepping away from the game for a few days. I recognize this game for what it will be in the future, a huge stepping stone for other developers to advance their own crafting of games. There will be bigger and better games, no fictional world is worth such foolishness as you described.

2 hours ago, CrackerJackx13 said:

seeing that i took the time to write it, i'm sure you took the time to read it before commenting. As of yet, no one has in the community as far as i know. I love this community, the ideas, the game,but  that is my fear above all that someone would injured, hurt, extorted and at worst murder. That is why i'm bringing up the issues above,  before someone mentally, or emotionally unstable does some of the examples listed above in hopes that there will be some sort of prevention etc that will help others.

Let's face it. It's highly unlikely that someone would murder someone because of Ark.

And such things do not happen because of a game. People who threaten other players because they dislike how they play, discriminate or defamate players like Alphas and make wild lies up about the people behind the players or physically harm other players have mental or psychological issues. Some have smaller ones like simple arrogance, some have bigger ones.

While not entirely impossible, I doubt we'll see an article on Kotaku titled: "ARK:Survival Evolved player brutally murdered kids from an Alpha Tribe because they raided him" anytime soon.

6 minutes ago, Jostabeere said:

Let's face it. It's highly unlikely that someone would murder someone because of Ark.

And such things do not happen because of a game. People who threaten other players because they dislike how they play, discriminate or defamate players like Alphas and make wild lies up about the people behind the players or physically harm other players have mental or psychological issues. Some have smaller ones like simple arrogance, some have bigger ones.

While not entirely impossible, I doubt we'll see an article on Kotaku titled: "ARK:Survival Evolved player brutally murdered kids from an Alpha Tribe because they raided him" anytime soon.

I'm not sure where in the world you live, but sad as it is to say. This wouldn't surprise me out of american teenagers of this era, wouldn't be shocked at all to see that one child killed another over a video game in America. Generally speaking the world's moral code has devolved thus far.

2 minutes ago, Velarius said:

I'm not sure where in the world you live, but sad as it is to say. This wouldn't surprise me out of american teenagers of this era, wouldn't be shocked at all to see that one child killed another over a video game in America. Generally speaking the world's moral code has devolved thus far.

Do you think a proplery developed, mental stable and social kid would murder someone over a video game? I don't. It's pretty harsh to say that Americans would do that.

Just now, Jostabeere said:

Do you think a proplery developed, mental stable and social kid would murder someone over a video game? I don't. It's pretty harsh to say that Americans would do that.

Realistically teenagers are at a rebellious unstable growth period in their life, so do I think most hormone driven teenagers desensitized to violence could be pushed into that under the right circumstances. Definitely, as an American myself it may be harsh but when I was one I knew plenty of other unstable children, and still see them running around lol. Hormones and society desensitizing children to violence means all it takes is the right push, could be a bully at school then coming home to being 'bullied' on ark by an alpha tribe to trigger it. History has already proven my point several times in the last twenty years

20 minutes ago, Jostabeere said:

Yes I do. I see it all the time where I'm at. I've already seen violence in real life happen because of ark. If the violence hadn't happened in a big crowd, and people weren't around to stop them, I'm pretty sure that it would've led to murder. But, in game issues can lead to hatred of others, anger/violence towards others, and just the littlest push "Do it Dodo" "I bet you won't" to someone over a headset or in face can lead to it.

Guest Snowcherub

There have been mothers charged with neglect of their children and in some cases so severe it resulted in the death of the children because the mother was so addicted. It isn't the game that is the issue it is a reflection of the person's mental health status and in general an addictive personality. Not much you can do apart from being self-aware and keeping a healthy balanced life. Unfortunately, those that need psychological help often won't get it. If it wasn't a game it would be something else they were addicted to.

25 minutes ago, Snowcherub said:

There have been mothers charged with neglect of their children and in some cases so severe it resulted in the death of the children because the mother was so addicted. It isn't the game that is the issue it is a reflection of the person's mental health status and in general an addictive personality. Not much you can do apart from being self-aware and keeping a healthy balanced life. Unfortunately, those that need psychological help often won't get it. If it wasn't a game it would be something else they were addicted to.

All I can say is I'm glad its just video games I'm addicted to. But, I'm also glad I have a family, because if not for them I know I wouldn't have a good solid connection to any real world. Its not an easy thing to deal with, and unfortunately some get so deep into it that they cant get out.

I am unaware of any violence to this point but do know that the personal information of two tribemembers have been put online and harrassment of them encouraged. On one occaision a person showed up at ones house but ended without incident. 

I think they often quote 1 in 5 people have a mental illness so with the player base that ARK has this is a not insignificant number. Add to that there is also some real money being made by some people by manipulating in game play and you do have some potential for real world death or injury to occur.

I hear your heart and concern in what you are saying. 

I had some friends who got divorced because of WoW:

As a young married couple who both enjoyed video games, she got a second computer so she could spend time with her husband in game. They sat in the same room at two different computers with headsets on and talked in the virtual world rather than in real life. Often times his best friend would come over and game with them.  Then she would take breaks and do other things. Soon she and the friend would just be talking at the table while the husband was in his own little world... We would invite him out to hang out and go for wings, but he would always decline or say he would come but then not show up because "people were counting on him".

Now, the wife and the best friend are married. It was such a mess. 

After having read (the majority of) this post, I would reccomend you put additional emphasis on the idea of some people needing to invest less time into the game. Otherwise it seems as though you're only bringing up a problem, rather than a problem paired with a solution.

Regardless, many fascinating points were brought up, many of which I'd personally never considered, so props to ya!

1 hour ago, CerberusPersist said:

After having read (the majority of) this post, I would reccomend you put additional emphasis on the idea of some people needing to invest less time into the game. Otherwise it seems as though you're only bringing up a problem, rather than a problem paired with a solution.

Regardless, many fascinating points were brought up, many of which I'd personally never considered, so props to ya!

I understand your emphasis on time, and time management, i appreciate the fact that you took the time to read it. I refrained from giving a solution to a question presented because i believe it will take more then one person or one perspective to find a overall solution, what you have said based on time management i do agree on, because without it our society will become more disconnected from the true reality, and the true values(broadscope) instead of the electronic one we all find ourselves in. In some cases and instances sometimes these electronic tool lead to a point of isolation and disconnect. What are the long term psychological and social effects.

But you must also consider what this game puts emphasis on. I am curious to here what that is, but in my opinion. Is it the tribe, and the people, or is it the content, tools, and mechanics. Where do they merge in that gray area, and when are they separate.  it seems to be, to a point, digital items, by any means necessary. In my opinion theses digital things has more emphasis then that of the tribe, it is almost as if the tribe is treated as more of a tool or a means, then that of the digital item. I do appreciate your input and would love to here more.

kind regards,

Gt Crackerjack

2 hours ago, Jerryn said:

I have cleaned up this thread a little.  Discussions finding joy in harm to others, or encouraging harm to others, will not be tolerated.

Also, please be careful with your generalities.

Thank you, for taking the time, and for managing this post accordingly. I agree with you 100% t that joy of causing harm should not be encouraged or tolerated. I am though curious on your take/ your input, i bet you have seen alot, and been around the block of the community, and would love to hear your feedback and and or input along with others who are in the same position you are in, it would be appreciated. On this topic, though i do have a hard time understanding how this is "off topic" comparative to a "general discussion" but then again i can understand your want or need to move it, as it does bring up some heavy points. Again though, thank you for your help, and your time.

Kind regards,
GT - Crackerjackx13

2 hours ago, Jtmorris said:

I hear your heart and concern in what you are saying. 

I had some friends who got divorced because of WoW:

As a young married couple who both enjoyed video games, she got a second computer so she could spend time with her husband in game. They sat in the same room at two different computers with headsets on and talked in the virtual world rather than in real life. Often times his best friend would come over and game with them.  Then she would take breaks and do other things. Soon she and the friend would just be talking at the table while the husband was in his own little world... We would invite him out to hang out and go for wings, but he would always decline or say he would come but then not show up because "people were counting on him".

Now, the wife and the best friend are married. It was such a mess. 

I am extremely sorry to here that this happened to you, and your loved ones. this breaks my heart to here it. I firmly believe this is a underlying issue effecting many people that gets swept underneath the rug, and the many effects that it has on people. Dr's are not sure how to deal with it.  ii have heard some people argue that it behavior is related to trust, hording, and insecurity, some say the community of gamer know of this issue/mental illness, and will treat it, like it  was treated back in the day by not being as open about it, and try to sweap it under the rug.  at it present point no one is sure how to deal with theses issues because they are on the for front and are to new to understand. i sadly breaks my heart to here that this happend to a love one. Maybe by bringing up the topic i related, he or she mite understand what i am saying to a point and by sharing the views on it, you can better understand them and way to deal with the issue. 

11 hours ago, Velarius said:

Realistically teenagers are at a rebellious unstable growth period in their life, so do I think most hormone driven teenagers desensitized to violence could be pushed into that under the right circumstances. Definitely, as an American myself it may be harsh but when I was one I knew plenty of other unstable children, and still see them running around lol. Hormones and society desensitizing children to violence means all it takes is the right push, could be a bully at school then coming home to being 'bullied' on ark by an alpha tribe to trigger it. History has already proven my point several times in the last twenty years

11 hours ago, Psych0P3nguin said:

Yes I do. I see it all the time where I'm at. I've already seen violence in real life happen because of ark. If the violence hadn't happened in a big crowd, and people weren't around to stop them, I'm pretty sure that it would've led to murder. But, in game issues can lead to hatred of others, anger/violence towards others, and just the littlest push "Do it Dodo" "I bet you won't" to someone over a headset or in face can lead to it.

11 hours ago, Snowcherub said:

All 3 cases have people who are already under mental pressure. A mother that abandons her kid can not be healthy in her mind. Mother instincts are very strong and it takes some issues to abandon her child.

Same goes for teenagers. A teenaer who bullies other people or has to suffer severe bullying isn't mentally stable.

I take me for example. I love violence. My favourite games are Postal 2, GTA series, Manhunt and so on. If it is possible, I mod my games to be gory. I used to PvP in Ark a lot. I was raided, I raided. I was completely wiped and I completely wiped other people. But I never felt something close to harming someone else in real life. Because I can differ between harming something that doesn't feel pain, brutally murdering humans and animals in video games to harming something real. I never bullied people and even when I was severely bullied in high-school and came back home to play Counter-Strike with the few friends I had, I never went to the point to get a gun and take revenge on people.

9 hours ago, Jostabeere said:

I take me for example. I love violence. My favourite games are Postal 2, GTA series, Manhunt and so on. If it is possible, I mod my games to be gory. I used to PvP in Ark a lot. I was raided, I raided. I was completely wiped and I completely wiped other people. But I never felt something close to harming someone else in real life. Because I can differ between harming something that doesn't feel pain, brutally murdering humans and animals in video games to harming something real. I never bullied people and even when I was severely bullied in high-school and came back home to play Counter-Strike with the few friends I had, I never went to the point to get a gun and take revenge on people.

Now unfortunately not everyone is the same. Just because you won't, doesn't that everyone else won't.

Take me and OP for example. OP seems to find it very sad that people get to that level of petty that they bring real life violence from pixelated entertainment. I on the other hand laugh at that type of petty. While I feel bad for the victim and the loved ones of said victim(s). There is something funny to me when someone gets to that level of petty, and I could only hope to get to that level of petty if I was in a sorry depressed state of life.

3 hours ago, Psych0P3nguin said:

Now unfortunately not everyone is the same. Just because you won't, doesn't that everyone else won't.

Take me and OP for example. OP seems to find it very sad that people get to that level of petty that they bring real life violence from pixelated entertainment. I on the other hand laugh at that type of petty. While I feel bad for the victim and the loved ones of said victim(s). There is something funny to me when someone gets to that level of petty, and I could only hope to get to that level of petty if I was in a sorry depressed state of life.

Yes. and this someone else is mentally unstable. Which brings us back to the point that people who would do that have serious issues besides the game.

On 5/13/2017 at 9:38 PM, Velarius said:

i know its sad, right?

On 15-5-2017 at 4:48 AM, Jostabeere said:

Yes. and this someone else is mentally unstable. Which brings us back to the point that people who would do that have serious issues besides the game.

you know people have died because they played video games too hard core right? im referring to the diablo 3 incident.

while its true that most of these people have underlying mental issues, its the job of the producer of consumables (im going to generalise here) takes these things into account to avoid as many incidents as possible and creates the lowest risk possible for things like these to occur, because in the end, even if it wasnt directly there fault, people WILL point their fingers towards them. because they feel the producers are guilty of enabling it to get this far. 

going to refer to the diablo incident again, this game allowed you to go offline without suffering repercussions and it still happened. can you imagine how much bigger the odds are for a game like ARK where you cannot just go offline or pause your game to get some rest. especially with the current breeding/imprinting mechanic that is practically a must for end game, i can see death due exhaustion not being a farfetched headline soon.

just my 2 cents as a psychologist :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2017 at 5:07 AM, BobRoss said:

you know people have died because they played video games too hard core right? im referring to the diablo 3 incident.

while its true that most of these people have underlying mental issues, its the job of the producer of consumables (im going to generalise here) takes these things into account to avoid as many incidents as possible and creates the lowest risk possible for things like these to occur, because in the end, even if it wasnt directly there fault, people WILL point their fingers towards them. because they feel the producers are guilty of enabling it to get this far. 

going to refer to the diablo incident again, this game allowed you to go offline without suffering repercussions and it still happened. can you imagine how much bigger the odds are for a game like ARK where you cannot just go offline or pause your game to get some rest. especially with the current breeding/imprinting mechanic that is practically a must for end game, i can see death due exhaustion not being a farfetched headline soon.

just my 2 cents as a psychologist :) 

thank you for the input.

Archived