Hogs. Bugged or just terrible fatties?

spangled

So by the grace of the ark Gods, I found a 150 hog male terrorizing the mountain. Lo and behold, a female 150 came and joined his pack. Of course I had to shoot them down and take them home with me. I bred them almost immediately and after the 9 hour waiting period, I had a little piglet. Stats were okay but for some reason it was only lvl 168...from two 150's? Usually I get near 200 from that. That aside, I was excited to get started on these guys...but it quickly morphed into a nightmare. The little thing ate like a giga and if it didn't have food for even half a second, it would instantly be super bloody. I had to force feed and even that didn't get it's health and food up enough to keep it alive without me constantly clicking.

So I made a break for it, turned on the mom's healing and that bumped the little guy's hp from 40 to over 400 while I worked on getting food up. This went on for 10-20 min. He drained his mom constantly so my fridges were nearly empty very fast trying to feed both of them, not to mention the other babies I had. In the end it was all for naught. I solo so running to the fridge so I could feed mom was too long, he died in that span. Moms food was zero and her heath had dropped. So I went ahead and moved her away from my baby area, filled her own trough and went back to the other babies. 

After logging off for a few hours, I come back on to a dead female. Why? She starved to death. She ate all the meat that I had set aside for her and it didn't dent her hunger. The male, which never had his healing used, never saw a fight,  is down to a small fraction of the food he should have (1800/10000). I'm feeding him honey and cakes so that I can feel comfortable actually going to bed and not wake up to him gone too. 

I have a lvl 15 ( because I HAD to tame one when they first came out). It's been better at surviving, however, it never has more than about 1/5th its food.

So, maybe I missed a similar topic that was already posted but are these guys bugged to high heaven or are they just going to be eating me out of house and home for always?

I'm going to recommend against breeding them unless you've got thousands of meat ready to spare, and are ready to just sit constantly with it and force feed it for almost the entirety of its baby phase.

I think it's far too over the top, but, it is what it is. I raised one, and I won't be doing it again for a while.

Also, disable their auto heal if you're not using it. They haven't seemed to go through food too bad if things are disabled. 

4 minutes ago, Tristaris said:

I'm going to recommend against breeding them unless you've got thousands of meat ready to spare, and are ready to just sit constantly with it and force feed it for almost the entirety of its baby phase.

I think it's far too over the top, but, it is what it is. I raised one, and I won't be doing it again for a while.

Also, disable their auto heal if you're not using it. They haven't seemed to go through food too bad if things are disabled. 

Yeah. That one nightmare was horrible enough. I'm not going to try for a while, even if I do find another female. 

The auto heal, I only had on because the baby was literally dying without it. Mom just never recovered from using it. Their ability is almost not worth it if the dang thing just dies from using it because it doesn't eat fast enough to heal and fill food. Even my adults can't get full food bars because they eat so much and each bite does so little, I can't keep up with them. Hopefully they do a little tweaking in the future xD

I play purely on an unofficial RP server, and can't be bothered dealing with official, so I don't even want to imagine how much of a headache a Daeodon would be on official rates, with meat that only stacks to 20, with the absolute trash space vanilla fridges give and whatnot. 

I despise it with x6 maturation, any less than that and I'd have pulled my hair out. My current server we have S+, with a small stack mod so meat stacks to 100 - and the thing literally cleaned out two feeding troughs full of meat while it went from juvenile to adult. 

Not doing that again for a while, I can promise you that.

Guess who's got ten fingers, one less pig, and plays on official. And it's only PvE. I couldn't imagine doing it while having to defend my base.

The worst breeding experience I've had yet...and I've done microraptors. Frustrating because when I thought I was getting ahead and thought I was getting into a comfortable stride, it hit the fan. 

Ugh and here I am offering to breed these. I actually have 4x level 150s (Base is in snow, these guys are outside my base daily). NEVER had any problems with food and the adults but I never keep the healing turned on. However, this weekend I was going to start breeding them. Ive bred gigas, megalos, etc. I'll give it a try and just see what happens as I have a lot of people interested in babies. :/ What a mess..

19 minutes ago, JetJaguar said:

Ugh and here I am offering to breed these. I actually have 4x level 150s (Base is in snow, these guys are outside my base daily). NEVER had any problems with food and the adults but I never keep the healing turned on. However, this weekend I was going to start breeding them. Ive bred gigas, megalos, etc. I'll give it a try and just see what happens as I have a lot of people interested in babies. :/ What a mess..

I'm based right at the foot of the volcano, on the waterfalls, so these guys tramp around my backdoor. Hard to get food sometimes when they gang up but yeah. If you actually look, there are so many of them, it's easy to find some high levels. Maybe it was the healing that did my female in but the babies...good luck. You'll need all the meat you can hold plus some, and hours of time to just sit. I'm considering just taming and trading the 150's I find rather than babies. God speed to you if you get multiples.

Archived