More core's or more frequency

RiasGG

With that many people playing, you will need the best single core performance you can get. More than 4 cores will do you no good because the main bottleneck is always the main update thread that is running on a single core.

I see in your other thread you are getting 15-18 FPS at 30 players. Unfortunately, that is not uncommon with Ark servers in general right now. Get the fastest single core speed you can get to help mitigate the issue. More cores (beyond 4) are not going to help. Getting a full 30 FPS with 50-60 players probably is not going to happen on any hardware. Even officials get laggy at that point.

So, definitely focus on single core performance over number of cores.

Also, run the system that is hosting the server as lean as you can. Disable all processes and applications you don't need. Whatever you do, don't try to run the game on that machine.

P.S. You can also have issues if you don't have enough RAM and the server has to use the pagefile. For a server that large, I would go no lower than 16GB. Depending how bloated the system is, going to 32GB might even help.

46 minutes ago, Crystal said:

With that many people playing, you will need the best single core performance you can get. More than 4 cores will do you no good because the main bottleneck is always the main update thread that is running on a single core.

I see in your other thread you are getting 15-18 FPS at 30 players. Unfortunately, that is not uncommon with Ark servers in general right now. Get the fastest single core speed you can get to help mitigate the issue. More cores (beyond 4) are not going to help. Getting a full 30 FPS with 50-60 players probably is not going to happen on any hardware. Even officials get laggy at that point.

So, definitely focus on single core performance over number of cores.

Also, run the system that is hosting the server as lean as you can. Disable all processes and applications you don't need. Whatever you do, don't try to run the game on that machine.

P.S. You can also have issues if you don't have enough RAM and the server has to use the pagefile. For a server that large, I would go no lower than 16GB. Depending how bloated the system is, going to 32GB might even help.

Thank you

Archived