Giant bee honey for fishing

CameronAu

So I now find myself with a stupid amount of honey, and my thoughts turn to the fishing aspect of its uses. Through a bit of experimentation using an apprentice rod, I have found it can catch all 3 fish, but regardless of size I am yet to see a blue print. Anyone have experience with this, and what are your observations?

1 hour ago, CameronAu said:

So I now find myself with a stupid amount of honey, and my thoughts turn to the fishing aspect of its uses. Through a bit of experimentation using an apprentice rod, I have found it can catch all 3 fish, but regardless of size I am yet to see a blue print. Anyone have experience with this, and what are your observations?

It's random. Simple as that. Bait doesn't matter, rod doesn't matter, it's all chance. The only thing bait affects is what kind of fish you catch, the size and how frequently a fish bites. The rarity of the rod affects the quality and amount of items/blueprints you get and does NOT affect size or level of fish that bite. I've spent a fair amount of time fishing. I've used normal rods and ascended rods, sap, honey and leech blood. This is what I have learned.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Grayan said:

I had really bad luck catching saber fish with honey. Don't know if its just random, but all the nice fish seemed to evade it lol. Managed to get some nice journeyman blueprints thought, with apprentice rod as well. And ofc if theres one 0.9xp fish it will eat the bait, not higher ones.

Kill all smaller fish in the area and then cast, hope it bites before the smaller ones respawn

I actually got better results when fishing with honey than with leech blood with the same rod and +- the same fish (1.3 - 1.9). You do not get BP's on every bigger fish with either one but with my MC rod i got ramshackle and low JM bp's fishing with leechblood and while using honey i got high JM and MC BP's.

this was done several times and yielded the same results so i do believe honey gives better quality than leechblood 

Ive been fishing with a 380 mc bp lately. Pre patch and post patch:

Pre patch with blood i got a few asc bps, mc, lots of jm

After patch i tested with blood again, a whole rod got few jm, no mc or asc, mostly apprentice

With honey i got comparable results as pre patch with blood except the quality of bps are a lot less, no mc or asc bps. Mostly a few jm and apprentice

I usually caught 0.9-1.5 avg with these tests

Conclusion: fishing was nerfed again.

• The distance from you to the fish does not affect the number of button presses needed, but the size of the fish does - larger fish need more presses. The number of presses is always a multiple of 4.
  • Each of the three bait types have their own individual co-efficient values. Leech Blood has the highest, followed by Honey and Sap is last. However, Honey can catch fish 3.0 and higher, where Leech Blood cannot.
  • Each species of fish has it's own bait co-efficient value tables. Coel give a lower multiplier than Salmon, resulting in Salmon rewarding better loot from higher loot quality tiers. One should make effort to fish Salmon over Coel whenever possible.
  • Different bait types determine the overall size of the fish you are able to catch. Before v257, the largest catchable fish size was 2.9x using Leech Blood. With the introduction of Honey however, you can now catch fish 3.0+ and greater.
  • All fish sizes are rounded up to the neared 0.1 value. This results in final loot tier formulas that may have variance, even of the fish you are catching appear to be identical in size. Two 2.5 fish may give different final values even while using the exact same fishing rod and the exact same bait, and rounded numbers are the reason. Additionally, which Leech Blood can only catch fish up to 2.9 in size, you may find that you can actually catch a 3.0 in appearance that was actually rounded up from 2.95-2.99. This means you have a 50/50 chance on catching a 3.0 sized fish with Leech Blood, so do not be confused if you attempt to and it never bites. This is normal.
  • The final formula you see after catching a fish determines the loot quality tier of the items you receive. Loot quality tier determines many factors: it determines the average color quality of the blueprints you receive, and it also determines the overall margins those blueprints can roll. Higher loot tiers mean larger margins, meaning weapons as high as 500%+ damage or more and saddles that can reach upwards of 250+ armor. All of these items are affected by the server restart item clamp, but they can still be fished up and used before this happens. Loot quality tier will also determine the amount of fish meat, prime fish meat and basic resources you receive as well. The formula for determining what loot quality tier you reach is the fishing rod effectiveness times the size of the fish times the bait co-efficient value of the bait you're using. This means in order to catch the best loot possible, you will want to use your highest quality fishing rod, and catch the largest fish you can using the best bait for the situation.

about size, bait and loot, courtesy of the wiki

7 hours ago, Grayan said:

Yeah, thats what I try to do, but usually smaller ones spawn fast. I haven't tried building fishing pen yet, do you think that would work or will the fish just glitch thru the walls?

Fishing pens work, we use them all the time, for coel ill use wood fence foundations and thatch walls, wood pillars with a thatch roof and the chair on top over the side. For salmon and something a bit more permanent, wooden fence foundations, wood walls and a wood dino gate or two, you aggro the salmon in and close the gate behind.

7 hours ago, bulldog1986 said:

Fishing pens work, we use them all the time, for coel ill use wood fence foundations and thatch walls, wood pillars with a thatch roof and the chair on top over the side. For salmon and something a bit more permanent, wooden fence foundations, wood walls and a wood dino gate or two, you aggro the salmon in and close the gate behind.

I use wooden dino gates with a pillar and ceiling inside in a corner with a chair on the ceiling. Aggro all the larger salmon into it and sit there for a while and have at it! :)

50 minutes ago, Torqx said:

I use wooden dino gates with a pillar and ceiling inside in a corner with a chair on the ceiling. Aggro all the larger salmon into it and sit there for a while and have at it! :)

Why do people do this? Pillars with ceilings count as foundations and block the fish from respawning.

What's wrong with tossing a chair on the ground? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2017 at 3:35 PM, Rancor said:

Why do people do this? Pillars with ceilings count as foundations and block the fish from respawning.

What's wrong with tossing a chair on the ground? 

When you have a large fish, or more than one large fish, you dont want them to spawn... Usually I and a friend kill off all smaller fish and one of stays in the water killing all the small fish while the other tries to catch the large fish. If I am by myself then I try to trap the fish and place enough foundations to keep others from spawning. So there ya go, that is what is wrong with throwing down a chair...

18 hours ago, DasMenace said:

Problem is i see this ALL over lots of servers meaning that its blocking fish from spawning in the majority of the good fishing spots. Plus it looks like trash xD 

Edit: Also wilds do NOT spawn near players. So trying to block fish from spawning right next to you doesn't matter. That's why when servers get fuller less wild animals are to be found. They have to spawn out of a players render distance. 

Archived