What are the minimum specs needed for a dedicated server?

Utlagi

5 hours ago, xthemikx said:

Hi, this is my spec for me server. is it ok to support an max of 6 players in same time ?

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2400 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz)
Memory: 12GB
HDD: 240 GB Solide State Drive
Graphic: Nvidia Quadro K2200 2GB

Bandwidth: 150mb/150mb  up/down

Thank you very much for your time
Mike

what os?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, GobboKirk said:

Let me know how it goes, I am still looking at option to buy some HW myself for home hosting so always good with info on what others experience.

I ran a server i3-3100 and 16gb on linux and it was fine with 20+ users online, could even handle 30+ with out the server frame rate dropping below 20 for most of the time.  Had 40+ online players a few times and it was not handling that very well but it could be played on, but you wouldn't want it like that all the time.

3 minutes ago, LockeCPM4 said:

I run 3 Ark servers off the following

Intel Core i7 4790 3.6Ghz

32GB DDR3

250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

250Mb/50Mb internet

I used to run ~40 people between the three servers with not issue. Lately my population stays between 10-20 players so it is definitely fine

I should be ok with me setup for 1 server and 6 players if you have no issue:)

2 hours ago, ONEadmin said:

I ran a server i3-3100 and 16gb on linux and it was fine with 20+ users online, could even handle 30+ with out the server frame rate dropping below 20 for most of the time.  Had 40+ online players a few times and it was not handling that very well but it could be played on, but you wouldn't want it like that all the time.

Good stuff :)

On 5/10/2017 at 7:27 PM, Kogadins said:

The problem to consider is that Ark servers are CPU hungry. If you plan to play and host on the same machine at the same time, then I would better consider a gameserver hosting.

Not from my experience. CPU hungry isn't quite the word. It's more about having a dedicated core for the world, and then a spare core or thread for handling players. The rest is RAM. More so needing ram, if you happen to play on the same machine that is hosting. I find it's better to use dedicated hardware tho.

On 09/05/2017 at 8:52 PM, Utlagi said:

I would like to host my own server for about 6 players. 

What would I need. 

Please don't suggest hosting services. That is out of the question. 

If it helps, I know someone who has an I7 7700k with 32gb of ram.

He is running 5 Ark servers on that server under Windows 10, clustered so you can transfer to and from maps.

4 minutes ago, CyberAngel67 said:

Question for you then.

Do you find the port numbers for rcon an issue, I tried to do this and when I get to 5 I can't see the 5th server in the lan list.

Lan list. Hmm. On our server, we setup the modem so that lan connecting is re-routed through to the Internet, so that Obelisk Clusters work for local.

I don't have a problem with RCON Ports. Not sure why you're having issues. They should be unique.

Just now, Sphere said:

Lan list. Hmm. On our server, we setup the modem so that lan connecting is re-routed through to the Internet, so that Obelisk Clusters work for local.

I don't have a problem with RCON Ports. Not sure why you're having issues. They should be unique.

Yeah I know they should be unique, they are indeed unique just will not find the 5th map.

16 minutes ago, Sphere said:

6 servers, with a 7th in the loop, with some backup files currently on there, using 137 GB. Got a small number of mods, the biggest being Castles. You don't want to setup multiple installs for multiple arks? The file size isn't too bad.

No, I do not. Pulling them down and back up is bad enough, but to then go and download 10 instances gets a bit much.

On 12/19/2017 at 5:11 PM, CyberAngel67 said:

No, I do not. Pulling them down and back up is bad enough, but to then go and download 10 instances gets a bit much.

Yeah but you can click "Restart server after shutdown" and "Update server after shutdown", then go watch youtube, screw around on VRchat, or whatever really. It's actually not a problem. And ASM gets updated regularly to include the new features.

I have been running local PC Dedicated servers for ARK since September 2015.  My experience has shown me the following.

This is for a dedicated system, not one you are also playing ARK on.

Minimum Quad core CPU, a minimum of 4 physical cores not including hyper-threading.  I had run on a AMD Dual core and there were major problems due to a bug with unreal engine.  They fixed them at that time but it is my opinion to not do it.

5mbs upstream bandwidth is more than adequate as long as you are not using your upstream for much else.  I was able to support upwards of 35-40 concurrent players  on a 5mbps connection but it will come close to saturation depending on whats going on.  There are too many variables to list but 8-10 should not be any problem whatsoever.

Windows 10 Pro is highly recommended over windows 10 home.  You want to completely disable windows updates which is only fully possible with windows 10 pro.  

If possible pick up an older/used HP Workstation like the z420 with a e5-2670 server class CPU (8 core/16 thread).  You can usually get systems like this for under $300.

Additionally, there are some CPU instruction sets that are only on E5+ Series CPUs that greatly increase server performance.  I have run ARK Server on a variety of CPUs from AMD-7700k, (a very bad situation), i5-2500,  i7-4790k, E5-2670, and i7-7820x.  Overall even with its slightly less clock speed the e5-2670 hands down performed the best.  While ARK only uses 1-2 cores AT MOST, the E5 cpu instruction set simply handles unreal engine better than consumer based CPUs.  As I mentioned you can get this cpu VERY cheap. 

Currently my ARK server runs on a modified HP Z420, E5-2670, 32gb DDR3 ECC Ram, 256gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, Kingston HyperX 120gb SSD, and a 1tb seagate HDD for backups.  I have easily supported 4 way ARK cluster with upwards of 40 concurrent users spread over the 4, sometimes all on the same sometimes not.  I run at 29/30 server fps, (setcheatplayer true) with only minuscule drops, usually related to mass harvesting.  

*Side note on Server setup, if you run with very high gather rates anything over x5, I strongly encourage you to use "Optimized harvesting"  w/o this setting the first time somebody takes a bronto out and starts mass harvesting your entire server will lag.  This is due to how harvesting "normally" works.  Optimized harvesting will reduce any lag to nearly imperceptible.   The downside is "rarer" resources, ie veggie seeds etc will drop less often.  I strongly advise you to use this setting.  Just one player can lag the entire server for many seconds w/o this setting.

Ram usage/req vary quite a bit.  I'd suggest no less than 16gb, but you could prob get away with 8gb if you keep your concurrent numbers down and have absolutely nothing else running on the server.  

Have ark server on an SSD.  This one is nearly mandatory unless you run ARK 100% vanilla, no mods, no increased rates at all.  From server load times to world saves this is highly recommended.

I have been using ASM (Ark server manager) almost since it came out, it has its plus's and minus, but I'd recommend using it to save yourself a lot of headaches with server administration.   

If you have further questions or if others have comments feel free to reply or DM me.  What I posted is based on my experience of the last 2 years, it doesn't mean that I know everything and I have never run servers with max concurrent players for any length of time.  The most was 50-55 concurrent around the launch of Scorched Earth.

20 hours ago, KaraGeek said:

Windows 10 Pro is highly recommended over windows 10 home.  You want to completely disable windows updates which is only fully possible with windows 10 pro. 

Additionally, there are some CPU instruction sets that are only on E5+ Series CPUs that greatly increase server performance.  I have run ARK Server on a variety of CPUs from AMD-7700k, (a very bad situation), i5-2500,  i7-4790k, E5-2670, and i7-7820x.  Overall even with its slightly less clock speed the e5-2670 hands down performed the best.  While ARK only uses 1-2 cores AT MOST, the E5 cpu instruction set simply handles unreal engine better than consumer based CPUs.  As I mentioned you can get this cpu VERY cheap.

Actually you can get away with less. You simply need to disable the ability for the server to restart. There is a script that it uses to do so.

And the Ryzen Threadripper 1950X has the instruction sets. It's a server grade CPU, that contains a CPU die that you can find in AMD Epyc. No cutbacks on anything other than the number of cores and threads. Really awesome CPU, if you are willing to pay for it.

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 11:52 AM, Utlagi said:

I would like to host my own server for about 6 players. 

What would I need. 

Please don't suggest hosting services. That is out of the question. 

Any reasonable CPU from the last 5 years or so would be fine.   Preferably dual or quad core.

Minimum 6 GB RAM and 500GB HD.

Create a whitelist for the people you want to allow - OR password protect the server to limit access.

For a small number of users: If you want to create a cluster, then add an extra 4GB RAM and an extra Core to the CPU for every additional map.

The Ark server is CPU and memory hungry.  You should avoid playing Ark on the same machine that is running the server.

On 13/12/2017 at 12:34 PM, GobboKirk said:

Let me know how it goes, I am still looking at option to buy some HW myself for home hosting so always good with info on what others experience.

Hi,

i just leave you a feedback about my experience on my Win10 server. We are 4-5 in the same time on the server without any lag or problem. We build many base like one each with other small base to tame etc... And no lag, the server run well with this config ! :)

thank you

Mike

• 5 months later...

Hi guys, looking at using an old rack server to run a home based server for my kids and their friends. Dell e5430 processors, so 2x 4 core 2.66ghz + 28gb ram. I’ll install an SSD, not sure on OS yet. How well do you think this would run a map cluster (island, center, scorched, rag, ab) with up to 20players? On fibre so connection speed not an issue.

1 hour ago, AvocadoMike said:

Hi guys, looking at using an old rack server to run a home based server for my kids and their friends. Dell e5430 processors, so 2x 4 core 2.66ghz + 28gb ram. I’ll install an SSD, not sure on OS yet. How well do you think this would run a map cluster (island, center, scorched, rag, ab) with up to 20players? On fibre so connection speed not an issue.

Hi Mike.  Those are the same 5 maps I have clustered on my server.  Windows 10 pro, 64GB RAM, i7-7800X

The Ark server is CPU hungry, with each survivor that is online requiring a noticeable amount of processor time.

Boss fights seem to be very processor hungry on the server.

Each map will use about 4 or 5 GB of RAM, so 28GB might not leave you with enough breathing space for the OS and other stuff after installing 5 maps.

I'd recommend dedicating 2 cores to each of the Island and Rag as they tend to be the more popular maps.  The other maps (on my server) could probably survive with one core each - just.

I think you'll see some disconnects and some lag when you get a few people online due to the CPU.  Maybe try fewer maps with more cores dedicated to each map?

If you go for Windows 10, avoid the home edition.  It likes to reboot at its own convenience.  Windows 10 pro updates and reboots can be scheduled.

3 hours ago, DuoMog said:

If you go for Windows 10, avoid the home edition.  It likes to reboot at its own convenience.  Windows 10 pro updates and reboots can be scheduled.

Windows 10 updates can be scheduled, regardless if it is the Home Edition or Pro.

I have two devices, the main PC is running Windows 10 Home and the Tablet is running Windows 10 Pro (latest Insider Preview) and I am able to schedule the time to that the updates get applied on both systems.

Archived