Ovis worth breeding?

Grandta

• Volunteer Moderator
27 minutes ago, Sie7eCoc said:

In the case of Ovis is especially slow stomach growth, if it were easy, everyone would have Ovis almost completely negating the strategy part of the Kibbles. It must be hard to raise Ovis I insist. Sorry, English is not my first language.

A greeting.

Not that hard...

CC7485AC5E2D22D0380188D69F21F5731B92B207

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Grandta said:

I never said I wanted the best rewards instantly. I said that the system needs a overhaul, the Times could stay the same but sitting next to a dinosaur needs to go for hours. I'd rather have something like when in baby stage you have to bring like a carnivore out with you and you'd have to kill something and it would eat the corpse. That's fun and engaging what a game should be.

Not encouraging people to sit next to a dinosaur and give it food, it's mindless and boring.

I don't really get the whole breeding mechanic anyway. I mean, why am I the one that has to sit and take care of babies? If every species in the world was so incompetent it couldn't take care of it's own young, there would be nothing living on Earth... just saying. 

5 hours ago, WickedRecluse said:

I don't really get the whole breeding mechanic anyway. I mean, why am I the one that has to sit and take care of babies? If every species in the world was so incompetent it couldn't take care of it's own young, there would be nothing living on Earth... just saying. 

There is a well known bug that some dinos randomly stop eating, regardless if there is food in their inventory UNTIL they reach the adolescent phase, when they can start eating from feeding through. Dinos with relatively very low HP are susceptible to die - in my experience the two most bugged ones are the Mesopithecus and the Troodons. We bred tons of rexes, quetzes, ankys, bears - not one of thm had such issues.

The only workaround i am aware of is feeding them manually until they reach the adolescent phase... (on official this ould be an ugly job, for this reason I play on unofficial only - I refuse wake up in every 3 hours to care a pixel animal, when I never woke up to my own dog in the night :) ). 

8 hours ago, WickedRecluse said:

Balance > realism................................

Do any of you have children? With the comments in here I sure hope not haha

"do I really have to sit here feeding this baby a bottle every couple of hours, where is the fun in that?"       "Why won't the stupid thing eat out of a trough???"

Breeding on this game is a minor chore after real life drama, least i don't have to clean up the baby dinos poop or burp it, plus if I chose to wake up every 3 hours to imprint, that's a choice, not forced into by my missus kicking me in the back till I wake up for nighttime feeds!

1 hour ago, YUSHOETMI said:

Do any of you have children? With the comments in here I sure hope not haha

"do I really have to sit here feeding this baby a bottle every couple of hours, where is the fun in that?"       "Why won't the stupid thing eat out of a trough???"

Breeding on this game is a minor chore after real life drama, least i don't have to clean up the baby dinos poop or burp it, plus if I chose to wake up every 3 hours to imprint, that's a choice, not forced into by my missus kicking me in the back till I wake up for nighttime feeds!

Yes!!

12 hours ago, spacejam said:

Holy fridges,  I have questions. Is this official ? why so many fridges, and are those ovis painted or mutated colour changes ?

Probably for all the mutton from all them sheep haha

In our old tribe breeding base we had like 30 fridges too, before ovis came out. Raising gigas you need lots of fridges if you dont wanna constantly run for meat

8 hours ago, Housatonic said:

That's a bug though, not a feature. Nobody's denying bugs should be fixed. Just that breeding (when working as intended) isn't that hard, if you use your head while doing it.

It takes almost 5 hours to get an ovis out of baby state and after 3 hrs of sitting next to it, I could only leave it for 5 minutes before I had to fill it again. 

So I don't know what using your head is going to do since you can't get much done in five minutes.

The Ovis should be a hard hand feed. Its such a useful dino due to its wool and mutton, and honestly once you're over the handfeed hump you're golden. You dont even need to do anything else for the next few days.

Also this 2 minutes away is greatly exageraterd. By the time my ovis was half way through the baby stage I could walk away for almost 15 minutes. I usually use the time I hand feed anything to do much needed base maintenance and organizing.

I play solo on official servers and work full time, yet managed to solo hand feed 5 therizenos, 2 beavers, 2 ovis, and 9 rexes the other night no problem. I have about 30 friges I prefill with meat and a green house that provides all my berries. The ovis cant be left alone long, but every thing else can be left alone for awhile after about the first hour, expecially if your base is located where people dont travel much, keeps the babies in a stasis where they eat less. Breeding takes alot of prep and patience to be done right and it should be hard to do, the reward is well worth it. Everyone complaining about the time it takes reassures me that this is the generation of every kid gets a trophy.

2 hours ago, Grandta said:

It takes almost 5 hours to get an ovis out of baby state and after 3 hrs of sitting next to it, I could only leave it for 5 minutes before I had to fill it again. 

So I don't know what using your head is going to do since you can't get much done in five minutes.

Out of context much? I was replying specifically to the dying with food available thing.

As for the food thing, yes, you do need to babysit it quite actively for quite a while. What does being able to multitask have to do with using your head? Make sure you don't have anything else you need to be doing at baby's first few hours. Or decide that for you, breeding ovis just isn't worth it. Not like you'd miss out on much, if raising them is a greater inconvenience than depending on random luck with finding them you'd be crazy to spend your time breeding them at all.

On 5/9/2017 at 0:02 PM, Voidstar said:

it s called WASTED time. I seriously can't understand how you would enjoy staying 5h hand feeding a baby until 10%. I guess you think you are a very good player and above the others by doing this? Or are you afraid that there will be more players attempting to breed stuff if the timesink is reduced, and your "work and skill" will be challenged by unworthy people?

Breeding isn't supposed to be for just anyone. It is used to get more powerful dinos, more of an end game/more skilled approach to the game. If they make it easy, it would take away the sense of accomplishment and dedication.

It's like make every creature in the game insta-tame. Why don't we just do that?  What would be the difference to what you perceive.

You do not have to breed. The game isn't forcing you to breed anything. It's supposed to be challenging. Life isn't about handing you things. You gotta earn it. Taming is what everyone should be able to do, breeding should be what only the more veteran and dedicated players can do. 

3 hours ago, Colbeh said:

Breeding isn't supposed to be for just anyone. It is used to get more powerful dinos, more of an end game/more skilled approach to the game. If they make it easy, it would take away the sense of accomplishment and dedication.

It's like make every creature in the game insta-tame. Why don't we just do that?  What would be the difference to what you perceive.

You do not have to breed. The game isn't forcing you to breed anything. It's supposed to be challenging. Life isn't about handing you things. You gotta earn it. Taming is what everyone should be able to do, breeding should be what only the more veteran and dedicated players can do. 

it s not like "make very creature insta-tame" , u guys are jut fixed on distant extremes.

Please explain to me WHERE IS THE CHALLENGE IN STAYING 5H NEAR A PET OPENING IT S INVENTORY EVERY MINUTE AND PUTTING FOOD INSIDE? Maybe the challenge is in holding your pee for so long? Or is it in moving the food with ur mouse and pressing E? Oh i know it, the challenge must be in ...I ve run out of actions to mention because opening the inventory and putting the food is the whole CHALLENGE.

Only the more veteran and dedicated players can do? Are you DILOING KIDDING ME? SO after I play this game, beat caves, tames all the hard creatures, beat bosses, raid enemies survive on high difficulty ->  I BECOME A VETERAN PLAYER WHO CAN ATTEMPT BREEDING, SO BASICALLY I BECOME SO "VETERANY AND SKILLEDY" THAT I CAN OPEN AN INVENTORY FOR 5H STRAIGHT AND PUT FOOD IN IT. OH MY , IT TOOK ME 2000+HOURS TO BECOME A VETERAN BUT BOY WAS IT WORTH IT ! NOW I CAN OPEN PET INVENTORIES AND PUT FOOD IN THEM! (NOT TO MENTION TAKE THE FOOD FROM THE FRIDGE!)

Why don t we insta tame all creatures? Becasue that is a too easy extreme solution. Why don t we make the breeding time instant? Because that is a too easy extreme solution.

Incubation Time
4h 59m
Baby Time
9h 15m
Juvenile Time
1d 13h 2m
Adolescent Time
1d 22h 17m
Total Maturation Time
3d 20h 35m 32s

So the incubation time is fine, can be adjusted accordingly no need to observe the egg for 5h.

But then comes teh challenge ! Hand feeding that rex for 9h15m (because you are a veteran player now)

If we would reduce that time to lets say 60 minutes [which is still stupid but whatever], we would still have 3d and 6h worth of content and challenge. We just minimise the stupid part of the game while maintining a great part ~80%+ of the difficulty.

Breeding si not for veteran players as a process, it s for everyone who wants to refrain himself from playing the game or doing cool stuff in the game to sitting in one spot swapping foodin inventories. The process itself is 0 challenge, 0 skill, 0 veteran stuff.

Tame a rex with a slingshot if u want a real veteran challenge..or whatever else requiring the use of more than the Button E and T (if u are skilled enough you don t even need to use the mouse for the hand feeding! just fix the camera)

This isn t about handing things. Handing things would be to look at your dinos press breed and voila another mature dino.

Guest BubbaCrawfish

We're handing out trophies for participation! Trophies for you, Trophies for you, Trophies for everyone!

But OP, it is worth it... You just have to keep an eye on things.

Rexs DO NOT need 9hrs of handfeeding attention. You can handfeed it for the first 30 minutes then after that you can store enough meat to leave it for an hour or two, come back in 2 hours and fill it up again then it lasts 5-6 hours.... Its easy.... unless you're attempting to breed 2x lvl5 rexs with 0 stats.

Reducing the baby phase to 60 minutes, since then breeding becomes a afk clicker, At least with it being 9hours it has a chance for you to raptor up and it dies. Thats your fault. And if the baby phase becomes 60minutes, again, youd only hand feed it for the first 15 minutes and the remaining would be fine with the food in its inventory. Then after the 45 minutes it would just eat from the prefilled 10 troughs near by.

On Monday, May 08, 2017 at 11:37 PM, Grandta said:

So I bred two of them and got a baby and once I claimed it, it died within seconds with food in its inventory. I was confused by this and so I googled it. Now I am onto my second baby and force fed it to see would it keep it alive and it did. It's currently stable and can hold 16 berries. Things is though it's going through them to fast that I can't leave it for more than a minute or two. 

I just started getting into the whole breeding side of things and now I'm stuck here feeding this for 4hrs just to get it pass the baby stage.

Is this what the dev really wants? This isn't fun gameplay, asking you to wait next to a dino just to feed it is counterproductive since you're not actually playing the game.  You're just mindlessly zoned out while checking every few mins.

I really am surprised that this is something the game devs allow, they should be encouraging you to play not just sit next to a dinosaur for hours afk.

Don't waste your time with ovis. I regularly breed rex and giga without an issue but can keep an ovis alive (that's is it doesn't fall under the map at birth) they are full of bugs and got broken in a patch some time from February onwards (before that they were fine) their health constantly spikes up and down so even with force feeding usually kills them pretty quickly so it's just not worth the hassle. Just find wild ones its much easier and far less annoyance and stress! It's actually become much easier to breed the bigger dino now so for a new breeder I always recommend they 'practice' on a rex, therizinosaurus or bronte ect as they are much more forgiving and can even run out of food without instantly dying.

7 hours ago, Voidstar said:

it s not like "make very creature insta-tame" , u guys are jut fixed on distant extremes.

Please explain to me WHERE IS THE CHALLENGE IN STAYING 5H NEAR A PET OPENING IT S INVENTORY EVERY MINUTE AND PUTTING FOOD INSIDE? Maybe the challenge is in holding your pee for so long? Or is it in moving the food with ur mouse and pressing E? Oh i know it, the challenge must be in ...I ve run out of actions to mention because opening the inventory and putting the food is the whole CHALLENGE.

The challenge is dedication. Kinda like the dedication you are putting in this post. Challenges aren't always physical or hands on.

But, I will say this again. Breeding isn't necessary to play this game. They do not force you to do it, it's a luxury. If you do not like breed times, don't breed. 

They've catered to the players who want things easier and easier for far to long. Now, you want breeding dinos to be easier than taming them. The life stage after the hatching is supposed to be difficult.

10-30 minutes for hand feeding gigas, quetz, and rexs? Pfft, sign me up. I will give every fresh spawn and troll fert eggs and make their lives sooooo much easier.

Stop living in the mindset where everything needs to be easier. Breeding is challenging because it takes time and dedication to do it. As it should, because that's how you take the next leep into becoming a more powerful tribe.

5 hours ago, Colbeh said:

The challenge is dedication. Kinda like the dedication you are putting in this post. Challenges aren't always physical or hands on.

But, I will say this again. Breeding isn't necessary to play this game. They do not force you to do it, it's a luxury. If you do not like breed times, don't breed. 

They've catered to the players who want things easier and easier for far to long. Now, you want breeding dinos to be easier than taming them. The life stage after the hatching is supposed to be difficult.

10-30 minutes for hand feeding gigas, quetz, and rexs? Pfft, sign me up. I will give every fresh spawn and troll fert eggs and make their lives sooooo much easier.

Stop living in the mindset where everything needs to be easier. Breeding is challenging because it takes time and dedication to do it. As it should, because that's how you take the next leep into becoming a more powerful tribe.

stop living in the mindset that everything needs to be hard...but hard is not the word for the breeding system...it s tedious..hard would be to kill a rex with a spear.

The very big creatures could have bigger baby times, like the giga , quetz, mosa etc...maybe 5h for the giga?

but for smaller things like wolves, boars, raptors etc it shouldn t be as it is now. 10-30 minutes maybe was a too small value , but even halving the current baby to 10% maturity times would be enough. Nobody likes an easy game where u get everything fast, but we must not fall in the other extreme...

Archived