Ovis worth breeding?

Grandta

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Volunteer Moderator
11 minutes ago, Samammo said:

also, couldn't you just breed it and kill it as soon as it is born and get the mutton?

From what I know, babies no longer give muttons. Also, you need to level health on adults to increase the amount you harvest (more health means stronger corpse so harvestable for longer thus yielding more).

If you want to breed something like a sheep, tame some decent level ones and breed for HP/carry weight. This goes for all small/medium animals with low base HP. The higher HP means they'll have the best chance to survive baby stage, and the higher carry weight means you don't have to babysit them as long or as much. I lost one sheep to the baby food bug, but have had zero problems raising them as soon as I started breeding them for HP. (Also note that food influences wool production.)

Personally that's the only reason I breed sheep-- to get high HP adults to maximize the amount of mutton they give. If you live close to the snow biome or feel confident you can find them as needed I guess it's not as big of an issue. I haven't seen a single wild sheep since the daeodons came to town.

9 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

I totally disagree. The system is more than fine. Raising to mutate stats and combine them wouldn't be as rewarding if it wasn't taking a lot of time and dedication. If anything, I think some species take not long enough to mature.

I think breeding as is is a big middle finger for solo players and casual player who play like 4h a day. Especially for the mammal breeding.

I do not mind the grind of breeding, but the fact that you HAVE to be online for certain amount or you cannot endulge in this part of the game is ridiculous. 

I've seen someone proposing being able to halt the growth of your bred dino and continue on demand. That way breeding is still huge time investment, but you can choose when to invest what amount. Since halting would be unfair for those who can breed without halt, there could even be some negative sides, maybe every halt would extend the maturation for % of the time.

I work a 7:30am till 6pm job and I can still manage to breed anything I want. Its all about patiences and understanding this game is hard and you're not meant to be able to do anything instantly. I keep eggs and mammals for Saturday morning, by the time it is Saturday afternoon they're stable enough to only check on them once every few hours. Then come Sunday Evening they'll be stable enough to last till I'm home from work on Monday.

Also note. I play Solo. I do ask allied tribes for a hand feeding if something big comes up but that is only ever filling a trough.

9 hours ago, Voidstar said:

dude. read carefully. we asked that they reach 10% in 10-30 minutes, so that they can eat from a feeding through. the rest of the time for maturity cvould stay as it is now. there is no point in staying 5h near the baby non stop to hand feed it [besides the bugs when it dies with inventory full of food]. this is not content this is not fun this is worse than the mmorpg xp grinds

10-30 minutes is to easy. I'd never tame again, just breed powerful dinos...

9 hours ago, Voidstar said:

dude. read carefully. we asked that they reach 10% in 10-30 minutes, so that they can eat from a feeding through. the rest of the time for maturity cvould stay as it is now. there is no point in staying 5h near the baby non stop to hand feed it [besides the bugs when it dies with inventory full of food]. this is not content this is not fun this is worse than the mmorpg xp grinds

No. If you dont like the time play unofficial with boosted rates.

Im now on unofficial but i spent since xbox release on official, solo (for most of it in the later stages) and never had a problem breeding or imprinting with a full time job, solo. (Gigas, quetzals, rex armies for bosses etc) 

Its called ; time management

1 minute ago, Colbeh said:

10-30 minutes is to easy. I'd never tame again, just breed powerful dinos...

10-30 minutes to get it to 10%, the rest of the time [until 100%] will stay the same. You would still need to tame stuff for breeding, better dinos. It s not about easy and hard, even a 8 year old can stay 5h at a computer and put food in the baby 's inventory, you just have to show him maybe two times. It s nor easy nor hard nor content nor fun...it s just a tedious nonsense...it doesn t show your value as player, it shows your wasted time...

5 hours ago, Bradley1928 said:

I work a 7:30am till 6pm job and I can still manage to breed anything I want. Its all about patiences and understanding this game is hard and you're not meant to be able to do anything instantly. I keep eggs and mammals for Saturday morning, by the time it is Saturday afternoon they're stable enough to only check on them once every few hours. Then come Sunday Evening they'll be stable enough to last till I'm home from work on Monday.

Also note. I play Solo. I do ask allied tribes for a hand feeding if something big comes up but that is only ever filling a trough.

Amen brother. I been in the same boat and no problems

Just now, d1nk said:

No. If you dont like the time play unofficial with boosted rates.

Im now on unofficial but i spent since xbox release on official, solo (for most of it in the later stages) and never had a problem breeding or imprinting with a full time job, solo. (Gigas, quetzals, rex armies for bosses etc) 

Its called ; time management

it s called WASTED time. I seriously can't understand how you would enjoy staying 5h hand feeding a baby until 10%. I guess you think you are a very good player and above the others by doing this? Or are you afraid that there will be more players attempting to breed stuff if the timesink is reduced, and your "work and skill" will be challenged by unworthy people?

6 hours ago, Bradley1928 said:

Anything you want? Maybe you just don't want to breed certain dinos then...

Never mind that, you just proven how horrible this mechanic is. To grow a dino you have to plan your weekend according to it. This is ridiculous. I mean if it was boss fight or raid I would understand, but this is basic mechanic in the game. 
I agree that breeding should not be instant and, in fact, I think breeding times are quite good as they are, but not being able go away from your PC because of it for hours and hours is just unacceptable. Especially, considering how god damn boring and not requiring of any skill it is. I think there would be no harm in making a halt mechanic and leaving only imprinting to be as ridiculously demanding as it is now.

7 hours ago, Bradley1928 said:

I'm in the same boat as you. Out of the house from 7-530 for work and I do just fine. I can hatch an egg when I get home, hand feed it for a few hours and by the time I go to sleep it holds enough food to make it to Juvenile and starts eating from the loaded trough. I wake up in the morning and imprint and refill 2 troughs with raw and cooked meat. Get home and repeat.

Mammals and babies over 5 hours are a bit harder but I can do them Friday night or Saturday morning if I want to.

I'm not sure why people are saying that ovis require 5h of constant attention. After an hour or two they easily hold enough to go offline for awhile or do whatever else you want. 

Any baby dinosaur needs A  LOT of planning before it is born. I find that in my breeding if you have a berry eater having a full fridge next to the newborn is good that way you can always have stock near the baby. It's been a while since I have played on official servers due to the fact I wanted to have some control over the griefing so now I own my server. That being said, as soon as the babies can hold a stack or two of berries / a row of meat on their own they are generally good to walk away from for longer periods of time, so long as you don't forget about them. 

4 hours ago, Voidstar said:

it s called WASTED time. I seriously can't understand how you would enjoy staying 5h hand feeding a baby until 10%. I guess you think you are a very good player and above the others by doing this? Or are you afraid that there will be more players attempting to breed stuff if the timesink is reduced, and your "work and skill" will be challenged by unworthy people?

If youre sitting and watching it raise you are doing it wrong.

You never sit there and watch it, put food in, calculate buffer and go do other things (farm, build, tame, watch tv.. whatever) 

You are way to salty about this. Dont play official if you dont like official rates. I like breeding, with proper time management its not a chore at all. Its not about me worrying about others or who has the better dino lol.. i want a nice dino, or a mutation, or imprinted such and such.. you work for it.

Theres nothing forcing you to breed. Its a total optional endgame activity.

The time shouldnt get decreased just because you cant manage your time. All of us who do are fine with it. Dont play the excuse of a job. If its affecting your real life..just dont let it. 

Not all of us come from the late WoW / CoD gamer generation like you do? My only explanation with your utter lazy attitude.. 

It's not a 'lazy attitude' if people don't want to micromanage something for hours on end - some people are willing to invest literally hundreds of hours of their life doing that, but for most it just isn't fun, and if it isn't fun, it probably needs an overhaul. There's no need to be insulting or condescending if people value their time that way.

I wouldn't breed on official servers for the same reason - dealing with babies is an exercise in frustrating dullness. I'm all for baby maturation taking a healthy amount of time, it just makes sense - just don't force it to require so much player intervention. Wild animals wouldn't survive if they literally starved to death without human intervention - the whole thing needs rethinking.

In our own server the maturation time is greatly reduced, which isn't ideal since babies grow up too fast and you lose the ability to imprint almost entirely, but it does mean we're not stuck waiting hand-on-foot for literally 28 hours for a Giga baby to reach the point where it will eat out of a trough.

2 hours ago, d1nk said:

If youre sitting and watching it raise you are doing it wrong.

You never sit there and watch it, put food in, calculate buffer and go do other things (farm, build, tame, watch tv.. whatever) 

You are way to salty about this. Dont play official if you dont like official rates. I like breeding, with proper time management its not a chore at all. Its not about me worrying about others or who has the better dino lol.. i want a nice dino, or a mutation, or imprinted such and such.. you work for it.

Theres nothing forcing you to breed. Its a total optional endgame activity.

The time shouldnt get decreased just because you cant manage your time. All of us who do are fine with it. Dont play the excuse of a job. If its affecting your real life..just dont let it. 

Not all of us come from the late WoW / CoD gamer generation like you do? My only explanation with your utter lazy attitude.. 

By all the gods, there is clearly someting wrong with you.

Why not play the game instead of doing a chore? Why are you a masochist?

you don t WORK for it. it s not work, it s wasted time, 0 skill, 0 strategy, 0 anything , 100% timesink.

The time should be decreased because it s a stupid mechanic, not healthy, not fun not necessary. All of you who ?

I ve been "raised" with lineage 2 on official rates, grinded the hell out of many classes while dual boxing. i ve played other god forsaken mmos too [I dislike wow, cod even more]. In mmorpgs, playing on low/official rates is mostly stupid, especially if they are korean mmos. The xp or item grind is extremely boring and tedious, but at least you play the game. In ark on the other hand you stare at the screen for hours in the same place opening and closing inventories. My gods, the fun! the work ! the skill invested! It s like you would open a private shop in a game and you would need to stare at the screen until the item is sold, waiting and waiting, otherwise the shop would cancel.

It s not lazyness, it s called desire to be optimal and efficient and to actually play the game. Not to mention ark is a vast game with so many interesting stuff to do, which many times requires a great strategy, aiming, reflexes, fast thinking..but no...you want to reduce the game to sitting 5h or more opening and closing the inventory to feed, in order to get a breeded dino.

seek help.

edit: COD is a shooter, where you have to play alot to get skilled, you don t stay for hours looking at your gun, polishing it s muzzle, so that one day it may deal more dmg LOL.

asked around and as I suspected: WoW requires an IMMENSE amount of grind and strategy to beat top raids to get top tier stuff.

so you say i am from a generation of WoW/CoD games [i m not from that one don t like those games] which I assume you mean gives you quick achievemtns for less effort...well you are wrong

1 hour ago, Voidstar said:

By all the gods, there is clearly someting wrong with you.

Why not play the game instead of doing a chore? Why are you a masochist?

you don t WORK for it. it s not work, it s wasted time, 0 skill, 0 strategy, 0 anything , 100% timesink.

The time should be decreased because it s a stupid mechanic, not healthy, not fun not necessary. All of you who ?

I ve been "raised" with lineage 2 on official rates, grinded the hell out of many classes while dual boxing. i ve played other god forsaken mmos too [I dislike wow, cod even more]. In mmorpgs, playing on low/official rates is mostly stupid, especially if they are korean mmos. The xp or item grind is extremely boring and tedious, but at least you play the game. In ark on the other hand you stare at the screen for hours in the same place opening and closing inventories. My gods, the fun! the work ! the skill invested! It s like you would open a private shop in a game and you would need to stare at the screen until the item is sold, waiting and waiting, otherwise the shop would cancel.

It s not lazyness, it s called desire to be optimal and efficient and to actually play the game. Not to mention ark is a vast game with so many interesting stuff to do, which many times requires a great strategy, aiming, reflexes, fast thinking..but no...you want to reduce the game to sitting 5h or more opening and closing the inventory to feed, in order to get a breeded dino.

seek help.

Lol.

While I do agree that breeding shouldn't be easy, it needs a fix. I don't mind having to breed a dino for days as long as I can do other things. This means, the baby stage should be changed and decreased by at least the double of where it stands now. It is very counterproductive having to stay there for 5+ hours not being able do do anything but stay on the baby dino's inventory. 

4 minutes ago, Riza said:

While I do agree that breeding shouldn't be easy, it needs a fix. I don't mind having to breed a dino for days as long as I can do other things. This means, the baby stage should be changed and decreased by at least the double of where it stands now. It is very counterproductive having to stay there for 5+ hours not being able do do anything but stay on the baby dino's inventory. 

Are you raising dinos with no food/weight stats? I have yet to do any that require "5+ hours of constant attention". After an hour or two you have quite a significant down time before they need to be reloaded with food.

Archived