Are gathering scripts allowed

THEHIPPIEPROJECT

I've also known people make a marco for running in on foot in a circle and pressing their action key every few seconds, but this was a long time ago before we had Doeds and stone was the hardest resource to get.

I guess all this stuff will be covered in the EULA/Terms and Conditions when they come so we'll wait and see.

Personally I really hate script/marco use in any game, you can use it to gather and do tasks when you are not online giving you a huge advantage.  Bots tend to wreck every game economy I've been in.

36 minutes ago, SallyAnn said:

I've also known people make a marco for running in on foot in a circle and pressing their action key every few seconds, but this was a long time ago before we had Doeds and stone was the hardest resource to get.

I guess all this stuff will be covered in the EULA/Terms and Conditions when they come so we'll wait and see.

Personally I really hate script/marco use in any game, you can use it to gather and do tasks when you are not online giving you a huge advantage.  Bots tend to wreck every game economy I've been in.

yh only want it for when tribe mates picks me up on a anky for metal farming 

• Volunteer Moderator

Well, I think there is a difference between a script that completely automates a task and one that is performing something simple.

For example, you can create a 'script' that simply keeps doing the "E" key while you hold another key.  As soon as you release, it releases.  With that, you have to be there to participate.  Those can help a person who has difficulty performing repetitive tasks; they also save on wear and tear.

Another version of the 'script' is one that acts as a toggle to hold a key for you, instead of you having to hold it.  I used one in Cyrsis for crouching, because trying to hold crouch while using the movement keys on my keypad was very uncomfortable.

Now, scripts that are performing multiple tasks, especially so you can go AFK, yeah, those are lame.

For the record, not using any type of scripts in Ark; and would never use the bot/multiple task type.  I did try out an 'E' repeater for a while when I first played, but found it had as many draw back as positives, and wasn't even necessary.

On 1/23/2016 at 4:12 PM, SallyAnn said:

+++infinity

If you allow one little script or macro, soon enough there will be a load of "dino" bots created since resource spawns are not randomised in this game.

It's a dangerous precedent.

Agreed, there is really no need for scripts in this game. If people are too lazy to tap the E key to gather stone, then maybe farmville would be a better game choice. It just seems wrong to use a script to press a key for you, in a game about 'survival' (I can tame a T Rex but can't tap the E key!!)

• Volunteer Moderator
25 minutes ago, Bones said:

Agreed, there is really no need for scripts in this game. If people are too lazy to tap the E key to gather stone, then maybe farmville would be a better game choice. It just seems wrong to use a script to press a key for you, in a game about 'survival' (I can tame a T Rex but can't tap the E key!!)

So anyone with arthritis or a disability should not play, because they are lazy and should not be playing a 'game' about survival.

I think disabilities are rather outside of the range of what we were discussing. Although I still feel the same way. They should not be allowed. If you allow them for some people, then you have to allow them for everyone.

Also I should say that people that fall into this category certainly are not 'lazy' and Im certain that you know thats not what was meant.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, Bones said:

I think disabilities are rather outside of the range of what we were discussing. Although I still feel the same way. They should not be allowed. If you allow them for some people, then you have to allow them for everyone.

Also I should say that people that fall into this category certainly are not 'lazy' and Im certain that you know thats not what was meant.

But, you make a blanket statement, that is how it can be taken.

Personally, in a game, if someone uses a script to repeat the E button while they hold down another button, it doesn't bother me at all.   Why not make us tap the W button to move forward 1 step at a time?

And, if you hold down the E button for say harvesting a plant, it will keep repeating until the plant is fully harvested.

Now, if someone is using a script/macro to automate their character to do tasks while unattended, as I have previously said, that is a big no-no.

• Volunteer Moderator
8 minutes ago, Darmaniac said:

script = 3rd party program. you will get ban

Not always.

I use a G13 gaming pad.  It is, in reality, just a funky programmable keyboard that can do different things.  I don't even use the E key in the game, as I changed it in the options to F6 and my game pad simply sends the F6 for me, just like any other keyboard.

Some people play with game controllers, that are also directly programmable or through a driver perform the necessary actions.

I both cases, neither modifies the running shootergame.exe, its allocated memory, or the data that is sent back and forth on the network.  It is just basic peripheral IO.

I am one that does not believe it should be legal to do any kind of scripting at all except on single player and there you can put in any of the cheats you want so it really is not necessary. 

I think a lot of hurt and disappointment was caused at Christmas with the Santa Raptor presents because some were able to use scripts and some were not. I know on our pve official server, so many people got so angry! :(

Why should some people be able to cheat and some not?  I guess every single person could go out and buy a fancy mouse so they could cheat too, but why even have it be a thing?

• Volunteer Moderator

How did people cheat using scripts on the Raptor Claus presents?

They did not land in the same spot, you had to follow them.  You had to deal with any wilds in the area.

I got a lot of gifts on my server, but it was by following, landing, dismounting at the right spot(on a Q with a regular saddle, you did not neeed to get off of the bird if you positioned it correctly) which would usually open the present at the same time, and click Take All. 

As for fancy mouse, mine has a few buttons on it, though it does not do any fancy scripts.  But, I do have one button set for Shift and one set for X, so that if I want to run, I just hold that button with my thumb and press the other if I want to stop while flying; works nice since I don't use my keyboard, except for chatting.  Makes the game rather enjoyable, and if I am playing alone/silent, my dog and sleep in my lap while I play(she is afraid of the keyboard).

• Volunteer Moderator
4 minutes ago, chevalierknight said:

people who use exstreams as a base for there point tend to have weak points

People who make statements without context or a valid argurement have no point. :D

But, my point was valid counter to a generalization and a spot to open up further conversation. :)  

21 hours ago, Jerryn said:

How did people cheat using scripts on the Raptor Claus presents?

Hmm.... maybe I don't know what I am talking about.  :D

People were saying in global chat they they were using buttons on their mouse that would automatically click the present to open it.  Those of us who do not have a fancy mouse did not have a chance to get the presents if those people were there.   They said that the mouse would click faster than a normal mouse.  Is that the same thing as a script?

I just know that people who were using the buttons on their mouse seem to think it was okay but I am not sure how it could be okay when it gave a person a huge advantage over most of us on the server. There were only a few using the buttons, you could tell by the fussing and complaining that it caused. :(

• Volunteer Moderator
8 minutes ago, Zadira said:

Hmm.... maybe I don't know what I am talking about.  :D

People were saying in global chat they they were using buttons on their mouse that would automatically click the present to open it.  Those of us who do not have a fancy mouse did not have a chance to get the presents if those people were there.   They said that the mouse would click faster than a normal mouse.  Is that the same thing as a script?

I just know that people who were using the buttons on their mouse seem to think it was okay but I am not sure how it could be okay when it gave a person a huge advantage over most of us on the server. There were only a few using the buttons, you could tell by the fussing and complaining that it caused. :(

I think I know what you are saying.

They used a macro/script that did the open present(E or F) and click Take All button.  Yeah, that is crappy way of playing, and not something I would do or condone.

So, if two people were entering the gift at the same time, person with the macro was getting an advantage because the macro was already moving the mouse for them.  Unless there was a lag on the remote inventory access or some other lag, the player without a macro would be at a disadvantage.

Archived