Ark Free2Play for the Chinese?

szabiferi

Just found an interesting article....

https://mmos.com/news/ark-survival-evolved-launching-china-january-1st-free-play-game

Im just wondering if: 

- is there any connection to Wildcard? If so, will we also get " features like private chat and a mail system have been added to the Chinese version."

- any plans to have F2P version outside of Chine? (hello microtransactions, good bye grinding :)  - "Experience gains, material collection rates, and the chance to tame have all been raised significantly and the time required to breed animals has been decreased to somewhere between one half and one third of the buy-to-play version's rates. "

- may it affected in any way to development of OUR Ark? Like more "resources" diverted away from The Center map development? 

(Im skipping conspiracy theories, like how WC could move in the direction to abandon the current Ark, in order o go the F2P world with microtransactions.. :) )

• Volunteer Moderator
7 minutes ago, szabiferi said:

https://mmos.com/news/ark-survival-evolved-launching-china-january-1st-free-play-game

Im just wondering if: 

- is there any connection to Wildcard? If so, will we also get " features like private chat and a mail system have been added to the Chinese version."

- any plans to have F2P version outside of Chine? (hello microtransactions, good bye grinding :)  - "Experience gains, material collection rates, and the chance to tame have all been raised significantly and the time required to breed animals has been decreased to somewhere between one half and one third of the buy-to-play version's rates. "

- may it affected in any way to development of OUR Ark? Like more "resources" diverted away from The Center map development? 

(Im skipping conspiracy theories, like how WC could move in the direction to abandon the current Ark, in order o go the F2P world with microtransactions.. :) )

Wildcard has preferred to opt for creating additional content through expansions (ala scorched earth) over microtransactions. From my recollection, Snail Games (the same folks working on ARK park) will be the ones in charge of ARK Online, which is the game the article you linked talks about.

2 hours ago, szabiferi said:

Im just wondering if: 

Maybe this helps answer your question a bit?

https://mmos.com/news/snail-games-usa-acquired-studio-wildcard-developer-of-ark-in-december-2015

2 hours ago, ciabattaroll said:

Wildcard has preferred to opt for creating additional content through expansions (ala scorched earth) over microtransactions. From my recollection, Snail Games (the same folks working on ARK park) will be the ones in charge of ARK Online, which is the game the article you linked talks about.

Is wildcard still an independent company ?

1 hour ago, YUSHOETMI said:

Microtransactions? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Also what is Ark Online, curious and can't search.

The article says this: http://ark.woniu.com/

Overall im OK with microtransaction F2P games, because I can do the grind an have enough self discipline to not to buy overpriced items. My 3 years of World Of Tanks life happened without spending a dime on overpriced premium tanks :) 

So Im happy to see if people with less patience cover the development and server maintenance costs for me :D

3 minutes ago, szabiferi said:

Overall im OK with microtransaction F2P games, because I can do the grind an have enough self discipline to not to buy overpriced items. My 3 years of World Of Tanks life happened without spending a dime on overpriced premium tanks :) 

So Im happy to see if people with less patience cover the development and server maintenance costs for me :D

I can't access most sites on my works network, sucks and I get moaned at for using proxys or disabling our systems.  Seriously the tech guys are bums.

I'll wait till i'm home, I just wanna know what Ark Online is, im aware of Ark Park but not Online.

That explains a lot about the chinese players spamming the servers. Sadly these kinds of people tend to play dirty, and see it as a normal part of business to get ahead. Well yeah it does have that effect, but it also creates a lot of enemies and resentment. You also can't overlook the fact that people will do what humans have been doing for centuries, lump people into a group and create stereotypes. It's important that if you are a chinese player, to distinguish yourself from the perceived. Be yourself with your own merits.

Not on this forum too... (not referring to you OP, but some of the answers in this thread)

This is already being discussed on steam, and from that forum to this, I still fail to see why Snail Games owning WC would mean that the Chinese are taking over the official servers or why WC would be okay with hackers/cheaters as long as they're from China...

• Volunteer Moderator
17 minutes ago, TotallyUncool said:

Not on this forum too... (not referring to you OP, but some of the answers in this thread)

This is already being discussed on steam, and from that forum to this, I still fail to see why Snail Games owning WC would mean that the Chinese are taking over the official servers or why WC would be okay with hackers/cheaters as long as they're from China...

They're separate and wholly unrelated events. Chinese tribes have been on (and prevalent in) ARK long before Wildcard came under Snail Games.

4 hours ago, szabiferi said:

The trouble isn't that me and you have control not to buy the stuff the problem is there are fat spoilt pre teens that will buy stuff, loads of stuff and it won't be worth the grind to try and keep up

Like World of Tanks the chinese region was given their own version of ARK and they're allowed to do with it as they please, except push in on the US and EU market.
Wildcard said no to this as mentioned in many articles around the web.

So no, we are not going to be seeing ARK Online available with pay2win options except where it already is and belongs.

9 hours ago, szabiferi said:

Why should it? They're paying a single guy to keep The Center alive. Not exactly expensive to either party involved.

Also here's Jeremy clear opinion on the matter

You sir are a sharp writer & researcher! ;) I'll add a couple brief points:

• This may not be well-known, but I founded Trendy as well, and created Dungeon Defenders in the same multi-capacity as I have with ARK: conceived, lead designer, lead programmer, EP, game director. The beloved first 'Dungeon Defenders' (and the 'Quest for the Lost Eternia Shards' Expansions), that is :)

• Snail is a truly awesome partner, the best kind. Certainly all is well over here, and we'll have a lot more official news about our plans upcoming at GDC -- completing ARK: SE and making it a satisfying start-to-end adventure.

Cheers, here's hoping some ARK fans can make it out to GDC and meet us at the big WC booth to chat us up :)

-Jeremy Stieglitz

12 minutes ago, SmokeyB said:

The trouble isn't that me and you have control not to buy the stuff the problem is there are fat spoilt pre teens that will buy stuff, loads of stuff and it won't be worth the grind to try and keep up

Every game that has microtransactions has these people. You should expect that. "hey guys, look at all the sweet gear that my father's credit card bought me"

34 minutes ago, TotallyUncool said:

I know, which is why it baffles me that people are coming to those conclusions. I guess I just don't see what they see. 

Cognitive bias?  Chinese flooding servers, company bought out by Chinese ... there must be a connection because they both have the word Chinese in them. Faulty logic?

31 minutes ago, Currahee said:

Cognitive bias?  Chinese flooding servers, company bought out by Chinese ... there must be a connection because they both have the word Chinese in them. Faulty logic?

I'm not sure if your joking or not.

Seeing how WC is used to announce changes in patch that they know will create a fury among a lot of their players only 2-3 day before it comes out, or conveniently avoid giving any detail, i would not be surprised if 2 weeks prior to official launch they announce microtransaction.

"We’ll probably never do anything like microtransactions. We’re not very good at stuff like that, the free-to-play mentality." From the article. Now we now they have someone which is exactly good at that. Doesn't even need to become F2P.

Nobody can tell me there's 0% chance of that happening.

4 minutes ago, Naerah(Qc) said:

I'm not sure if your joking or not.

Seeing how WC is used to announce changes in patch that they know will create a fury among a lot of their players only 2-3 day before it comes out, or conveniently avoid giving any detail, i would not be surprised if 2 weeks prior to official launch they announce microtransaction.

"We’ll probably never do anything like microtransactions. We’re not very good at stuff like that, the free-to-play mentality." From the article. Now we now they have someone which is exactly good at that. Doesn't even need to become F2P.

Nobody can tell me there's 0% chance of that happening.

None of what you said had anything to do with what I replied to, we weren't talking about micro-transactions. We were talking about the correlation between Chinese players and WC being bought by a Chinese company.

Archived