Dinos due for a nerf

Lancelot

5 hours ago, LEDminer said:

It gets weaker so you can't faceroll around the map. Game balance you know.

A giga being controlled by the player can attack twice as fast, and has better pathing due to obvious reasons.

can you please learn to read first?

And the giga has no better pathing than any other TAMED dino when NOT ridden by a player.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Zederia said:

can you please learn to read first?

And the giga has no better pathing than any other TAMED dino when NOT ridden by a player.

Who doesn't ride their tamed giga into battle? Pathing isn't the best but it's really not that bad once you learn your routes and take them correctly.. do you have to pay attention, yes, but it's not difficult to navigate around stuff.. kinda why flyers got nerfed.. They avoided everything and you fast travelled everywhere.. so having to watch your tames and making sure they don't get stuck makes sense...

2 minutes ago, Ep1cM0nk3y said:

so having to watch your tames and making sure they don't get stuck makes sense...

no, you should not have to watch your tames while they WALK. animals are intelligent enough to move around rocks and such. Wolves have a pack leader they follow etc. IN GAME they're dumb as a box of rocks

Also, I said NOTHING about battle

On 5/2/2017 at 8:09 PM, PuffyPony said:

Their HP is probably fine, they need a damage nerf. Currently, they hit hard, run extremely fast, and carry a large amount of weight. Being battle-competent isn't bad, but they hit as hard as a Rex

They are too easy to kill to be battle-competent, riders get snipe/pick. Speed takes time to reach max, and in battle every sec counts if a giga/rex rider chasing you. Those situations occur quickly and you need a tame that can react fast enough to get away. If your sneaky you can grab loot bags and get out but for a massive scale fight the rider is tooo vulenerable.

21 minutes ago, Zederia said:

no, you should not have to watch your tames while they WALK. animals are intelligent enough to move around rocks and such. Wolves have a pack leader they follow etc. IN GAME they're dumb as a box of rocks

Also, I said NOTHING about battle

Ikr.. sucks you have to pay attention in game to what's happening around you.. sounds like you need a map with nothing but 1 resource node per each resource right outside your base having infinite health on each node so that they can be harvested indefinitely and you don't have to worry about rocks and trees or differing elevations in your way,  or water,  who needs water, stuff would have to swim and go slower than walking.. DILO is that even.. 

1 minute ago, LEDminer said:

It DOES make sense, since the wild ones have insanely high stats. If these stats were kept on the tamed giga, it would be too OP, combined with the saddle and the rider controlling.

they should be nerfed all the way around, and it should get a BUFF when tamed. Wild ones do not need to be that powerful that a tamed one can not fight a wild one.

31 minutes ago, LEDminer said:

... And so, the survival game loses its last bit of challenge by allowing you run around the map with no worries.

The wild giga is stronger than a tamed one so that the game doesn't become a carefree dino safari. Even with the strongest stuff in your hands, you shouldn't be freed from all the dangers of the game.

That's what alpha creatures are for. Not to mention the storms that you see on SE, dinos that dismount and stun you, caves, bosses, and other players in PvP.

I hate how OP Gigas are in both PvP and PvE, but even people who don't mind that have admitted that the Giga is just in a very weird spot right now. It's like it belongs in an entirely different game.

22 hours ago, Zederia said:

It's not about the not needing to land. it's about the TIME it takes to get anywhere. seriously. they made a scout the "most used dino" and to fix that ONE dino, they destroyed 90% of the air game. The scouts should have been scouts, not fighters. but the fighters can't fight well anymore either.

^ talking about this? if not, quote me

• Volunteer Moderator
2 hours ago, Zederia said:

ikr.. sucks that animals should be intelligent and able to do such a simple thing as follow the path you lay out.

To be fair; with most of the animals being dinosaurs, creatures long stated as "having a brain the size of a walnut", being too daft to understand what a path is sounds like it fits their wheelhouse..

As for the giga losing it's strength, the notion to it is that the giga is a wild, proud, and feral beast, and that domestication kills that feral edge. It's stats being lowered is not much different when compared to how wild elephants live longer than their zoo counterparts.

I think we're in need of a few buffs and nerfs, but I also happen to think that giving animals definitive strengths and weaknesses would go a lot farther in widening ARK's meta and supporting variation in animal use overall. For instance; everyone knows that the Rex is a staple in PvP. You don't go into large scale battles without at least several. That's understandable; the Rex was designed as a PvP animal. But what's your best course of action against a hoard of Rex? Your own hoard of Rex. How about when folks were out and about with 200+% speed Pteras and Quetzals? You, of course, used 200+% Pteras and Quetzals to pick, just like they were doing. 

But what if the best course of action wasn't to copy what your enemy was doing? 

I'm thinking something along the lines of Rex taking a much higher percent of DoT damage than other animals, so bringing a few packs of Allosaurus and some fire arrows would cause some concern in your enemies. But Spinos, thanks to their aquatic nature, take reduced damage from fire and take lower than normal DoT. However, because of their tendency to flee in the wild, they're more susceptible to the fear inducing roar of the Yutyrannus. You know who isn't susceptible to the Yutyrannus' roar? Trikes and Anks. In fact, it pisses them off. Buffs 'em to actual formidable forces, and now you've got a herd of Trikes and Anks running the battlefield, smashing and goring your Allos and Yutys. Thankfully, good ol' Rex is ready to put 'em down... Of course, unless the enemy tribe brought their Battle-Therizinosaurus out. 

2 hours ago, ciabattaroll said:

As for the giga losing it's strength, the notion to it is that the giga is a wild, proud, and feral beast, and that domestication kills that feral edge. It's stats being lowered is not much different when compared to how wild elephants live longer than their zoo counterparts.

Just curious, is that an official explanation from the devs? And if so, have they explained why most creatures get stronger with taming? I think of it as being similar to a Saiyan getting stronger after recovering from a serious injury, but I'd be interested to know the canonical explanation for it...

On 10-5-2017 at 10:17 PM, Zederia said:

It's not about the not needing to land. it's about the TIME it takes to get anywhere. seriously. they made a scout the "most used dino" and to fix that ONE dino, they destroyed 90% of the air game. The scouts should have been scouts, not fighters. but the fighters can't fight well anymore either.

Fighters can't fight? You do realise that the argy got buffed in hp, melee and weight right?

Player speed and dino speed should be reduced or have a cap. cretures are able to move to fast and some of the speeds of creatures are silly. Crossing the map should be difficult and time consuming more preparation should take place when traveling not hop on a dino be at the other end of the map in moments. You would have to use creatures then for the roles and jobs intended for them in sted of one creature dose all. 

15 hours ago, OnePotatoChip said:

But what if the best course of action wasn't to copy what your enemy was doing? 

I'm thinking something along the lines of Rex taking a much higher percent of DoT damage than other animals, so bringing a few packs of Allosaurus and some fire arrows would cause some concern in your enemies. But Spinos, thanks to to their aquatic nature, take reduced damage from fire and take lower than normal DoT. However, because of their tendency to flee in the wild, they're more susceptible to the fear inducing roar of the Yutyrannus. You know who isn't susceptible to the Yutyrannus' roar? Trikes and Anks. In fact, it pisses them off. Buffs 'em to actual formidable forces, and now you've got a herd of Trikes and Anks running the battlefield, smashing and goring your Allos and Yutys. Thankfully, good ol' Rex is ready to put 'em down... Of course, unless the enemy tribe brought their Battle-Therizinosaurus out. 

I really like this idea, additionally, make those herbivores as dangerous as they should be.

Trikes are laughably weak now, their dps is almost as low as dilosaurs. bring them up to the same level as a rhino.

Same goes for stego's, one swing of those massive spikes should do more damage than one bite.

Also rebuff the bronto, it can easily get killed if you stand on lower ground than him because it can't hit you. They where great creatures and i don't know why they nerfed them...

pegomastix should get a nerf on their health, it takes longer to kill this roadkill porcupine than a trike. 

megalodon's need a buff in their speed. they where mighty creatures and should be the same ingame :), as they are now, i call them goldfish, i can outrun and even fight them early in the game.

Carnosaur needs some love to it's stamina regain, at least let it still be able to bite when out of stamina. 

creatures that need nerfing:

those with a stun ability, make that stun short and not stackable, give it a longer cooldown so you have time to counter.

people will hate me for this but... equus, it's a great fast mount but to powerful. It has a stomp attack rivalling that of a paracer... 

2 hours ago, LEDminer said:

He doesn't. He's only trying to get attention because his one-trick-pony mount, AKA pteranodon, got nerfed to a level more suitable for the game.

Well, now that we know you just can't read..

Where on earth did I say I was using a ptera? In fact I stated SEVERAL times I use ARGENTS. On top of that I mentioned that the Pteradon should have a strife, NOT an attack...

22 hours ago, LEDminer said:

Having to constantly watch your surroundings and be aware of the dangers ahead makes the game more exciting, and not just a boring dinosaur safari.

See, this was my thought concerning the animals that dismount and stun you. Instead of removing their ability to dismount the player, why not just implement some sort of just audible heads-up that'll tell players that they're nearby? Put some responsibility in the hands of the players, make them pay attention and that'll allow them to avoid the annoyances. I wouldn't make it super loud, but enough that players could just make it out against the sounds of whatever's going on.

32 minutes ago, LEDminer said:

They actually did get buffed. And about you using the argentavis, I looked through this thread, and only found you mentioning something about it being "too slow to outmaneuver" other flyers.

Found this:

And what did you respond?

Since you never mentioned the use of the argie, but said the ptera is too slow, I thought you were crying about how slow it is, even though the ptera is one of the faster flyers right now.

Instead of telling me to learn how to read, how about you right more understandable posts, so I don't have so search through threads looking for things you claim to have said.

here, look:

https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/topic/181491-dinos-due-for-a-nerf/&do=findComment&comment=1044387

This was a direct reply to a comment about a pteradon, a one-off comment. (notice how I never talked about combat on a ptera, and how it shouldn't be so strong?)

THIS:

https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/topic/181491-dinos-due-for-a-nerf/&do=findComment&comment=1044401

Did I not mention the argent here? And SPECIFICALLY PvP? Does that not say "hey, he must use these"? I hated Ptera from day 1, especially in PvP.

and let me quote TRH:

Our overall goal with this re-balance is to define roles specific to each of the fliers. This is a monumental task for land dinos, and that is why we didn't do that now. There are like a hundred land dinos, and not many fliers, comparatively.

The roles look something like this:

• Ptero - Fast, sprinting scout, with low hp/stamina, but quicker stamina recovery. Fastest flier in the game (except for wild wyverns).
  • Argent - Tanky fighter, can scrap well and take some hits, high stamina/carry weight compared to all other fliers (except Quetz), while still maintaining some agility.
  • Moth - "beginner" mount, lowest stats across the board for explicit travel or fighting, but a powerful special attack for specialized use.
  • Pelagornis - Versatility flier with generally low stats, but unique functionality, and other special abilities to offset its lack of direct stat power.
  • Quetz - Sky Bronto. Slow, extreme stamina, extreme weight capacity, good for prolonged sieges or for moving massive quantities of things to and fro. High health pool, but extremely poor maneuverability and very vulnerable.
  • Tapejara - Tactical flier. Between the Argent and Ptero for overall stats, but with multi-mount support and latching abilities, it can carry well armed players in and out of the battlefield or to remote locations.
  • Wyvern - Lord of the skies. Low stamina, moderate move speed, poor agility, but extreme power and versatility. 

This is how we see them conceptually, and the overall "feel" we want to aim for when we finally say "yeah, these are in a good spot".

43 minutes ago, LEDminer said:

They need to make the mesopithecus alert you when something like a microraptor or kaprosuchus is heading your way. Would be a useful mechanic, and people would actually carry them around.

Or give it to the archa and make it a true shoulder mount that can "deploy" into a parachute.. but I like the monkey idea (high level ones are actually quite nice to have) since they are vocal things..

Archived