Your ARK Stories!

Jen

When I started in ark I had a thatch house on the beach, nothing wrong on my tiny mind. I was getting bored and thinking about uninstalling the game, but then, out of a sudden someone said "hey? Anyone there?" And my story in ark started.

Yep, I played with them for 2 months till the day an Alpha tribe came in a big quetzal. Jesus! We all were screaming and running in circles, so I had the idea of getting a gas grenade we took in the drop. So I did it, the quetzal rider fell asleep and his quetzal was in passive. Some of my friends sacrificed themselves to make the turrets run out of bullets and we killed them. We could not believe it, we started to think we were going to make Through it. 20 min later they came in 4 quetzal. Yep, wiped out. But as our base was falling down, my love for this game was starting to grow.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amusing story, if I did not tell it in an earlier post:

Normally I learn everything about a game and read all the in-game materials before and during play. For Ark, I decided to go about it differently. It was a survival game, so lets survive! I barely read any material on the game and did not read the in-game text on items. I knew I would be playing this game for a very long time (still am 2 years later) and wanted to enjoy blissful ignorance while I can.

So there I am strolling through the woods and I hear something chase me. I run away as fast as I can. I had berries in my hotbar, so I ate them to replenish my draining water and food levels. Suddenly, everything goes black and I am unable to do anything. I panic as I hear the stomps, followed by the painful crunch of a Carnotaurus killing me.

"Ok, what just happened" I thought. Lets read the text on these items, it cannot hurt the gameplay and would get me more immersed. Hmm, lets read the berries. Azulberry....Mejoberry....Narcoberry. Hello, what is this? A berry that acts as a narcotic? I thought the black berry would be special (tasty) but not a harmful special! Ugh.

After that experience I made sure to read the text on every item.

So I had just finished a complete run through of the fallout from 1 to 4 (first time) back at the end of 2015. And I spent some time with that, but by about a few patches before they released the Chalico is when I started playing. So sometime in September of 2016.

I was introduced to the game on a facebook page for fallout players and I asked what other games are out there that others are playing and someone said Ark. And I thought in my head (Ark? what in the hell is an Ark???) I decided to youtube it and see what it was all about. I watched about 5 episodes of a youtuber (the name of the youtuber eludes me at the moment) giving the first few days of the game being out. Making a thatch hut, taming raptors with his friends and traveling to the lava cave with all its wonderful bugs and glitches and his pocket of knowledge of how to avoid the pitfalls. I fell in love. I just had to play it. I really really wanted to tame a stegosaurus . I wanted a wooden base with torches, I wanted to do all of it.

Sometime later I ended up playing on an EU server even though I live in the U.S. And I was one of the few that spoke only English, no second language or rather english was not my second language and I had a tribe of just me and another person. I remember having fun with the building of a base since I enjoyed that so much in Fallout 4 and this tie into a game of taming dinos was just icing on the cake. I couldn't believe a game so unique that existed and that I had finally found it. In October I remember using 100s of gravestones for all the dinos that we tamed and died. I must have died 100 times the first day I played it. The halloween event opened up for skeleton skins. I just had to get one for my stegosaurus. I named him Deforest "Bones" Kelley. Stegos deforest the forest... I'm sure you get the reference. :P

Almost a year later I'm conquering Boss fights, breeding mutations and played several pvp and pve modes from the no taming servers (best pvp experience ive had) and the quieter life on an Island pve server. One of the best things about an online open world game is the community of players you get to know. You make friends in this kind of atmosphere. And some enemies, although for the most part try to keep it civil. (last 3 years have been trigger happy raging social networking that might have effected how online play is now. :P)

I play solo for the most part and slowly have gotten myself some fun base designs, provided the tutorials given by unitetheclans, gg fizz, and a few others, and helpful friends along the way. Perseverance more than anything keeps me going. I can solo pretty much the caves now. I try to guide other fellow gamers into these challenges and boss fights and love giving back to others the things I have learned. I try not to be a crutch for anyone and let them figure most of it out themselves, but do enjoy spending time on this game with the friends I have made.

The ending of the game in single player. Yes the difficulty is much easier there. After watching I realized how much more I love the composed music for the game. But mostly the scope of how big Ark actually is. The game really opens up after watching this and you can't look at Ark the same way again. You just can't. It definitely fuels my curiosity to see where things go. And its a great springboard for players to get into the groove for The Broken Ark, or rather the map Abberation. I can't wait to see where the explorers recorded in notes and new explorers go, what story will be told, and hopefully the questions about Ark and its story finally get revealed. Left with a big cliffhanger here.

I am considering, if there is a writing contest, to write a story about a lone survivor, perhaps mine. Including some of my own personal experiences of the 500th time I got a water jar bp from a beacon and the blood thirsty revenge I have for the guy who runs those damn things. Looking forward to whats in store for this game.

Since official release I have ran my own dedicated server. It is Ragnarok PvE. I run it with an iron fist of caring. What that means is that if you really want starter equipment when you first start playing, well alright. Want an industrial forge for your smelting base? Sure if you been active. Want a max level griffin? No. You have to earn your stuff in order to appreciate it (the industrial forge example is about time management, it does not affect your game).

My Survivors are absolutely loving it. I have players on day and night. I averaged around 20 players one time for 24 hours straight. I offered to make a few changes and some threatened to leave the server, as the settings were "just right". I did make a few additions to it, such as flier pickup and no damage to structures, as per request.

What makes my server different is that not only am I a very active admin, I also run events! We had a beta test of a death arena (I surprised them with a Diplodocus while there were spiked walls in the arena, they had to war me first). I have a nice looking jousting lane set up. I just completed a Terror Bird drop game I seen on Youtube. I announced in my club (Dungeons and Dinosaurs) that the event will take place this Sunday. I have posted the rewards to get them excited, which they already are. I even have some pledges on Patreon to support my efforts and to show their appreciation for the time I give to them all.

My ARK Story... 

I started playing ARK about 2 years ago and was doing well. I was breeding Argys and had some very impressive birds being bred over level 200 (before 150 max and mutations). Then a prick GM booted me from the guild causing me to lose all of my dinos that I had bred and my base as well. It caused me to quit the game and I decided to come back since the game was going to release.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to play since all the servers are constantly full. And at this point I won't join one of the servers already online b/c there's been too much time for other guilds/players to build up eliminating the equal footing I was hoping for. If this lasts much longer I'll be requesting a refund from steam since I haven't been able to play the game since it went to release.

My time on ark has been interesting.. I learned about ark on Youtube.. I didn't have a computer to play ark on. I wait for it to come out on console. When it did, it was nice.. Me and my Tribe started out on the island. We were labeled as the moon's for awhile.. but never asked for help or anything.. we met our neighbor and he was awesome. We eventually went to scorched-earth and we join tribes over there. We learned how to raise wyvern.. at this time I met a person who we could trade with.. He was expensive.. As a few.months went by.. We all became friends.. Because of ark.. I have gained and lost friends.. But the ones that have stocked around...Have been the best.. I have been a trine leader, alpha and solo.. But we rent servers now.. It's the best thing we did.. We can enjoy ark how we want to play it.. With ark.. shocking, but I found my better half..
Posted from my [device_name] using http://ARK: Survival Evolved Community App

Bought the game christmas 2015 with a large group of friends. Played the first 500 hours without having a clue what to do to be effective. Now i have 997 hours and really excited with the new servers. Almost all my friends stopped playing out of frustration but i still think this game is the best out there for some chilling and mildly low toxicity

*Breeding more kentros*

I mostly play alone and with my buddy but I really want to play with others. Been playing ark since its release 2 years ago and it's been an awsome ride and can't wait to play it on the xbox x. I like to RP the game with no cheats and with the new Ragnarok it's gonna be fun...

AWESOME QUESTION! I started playing two years ago.

I never really played video games before ARK but one day I was watching two youtubers play ARK: Survival Evolved and I was saying this looks like a badass game and I wanted to play it. So being the dumb person I am I figured you guys were already full released sooooo whenever I went to a store I would look to see if I could find ARK but no luck. So I kind of gave up looking, I just kept watching youtubers play the game and would be super jelly over it because I wanted to play sooooo BAD. Then one night my husband was in a party with his friends, I come down and I looked to see what he was doing and I flipped poop I see his friend playing ARK, I freaked no joke! I kept telling him that's the game I been obsessed with and well I ended up buying it. I never looked back.
I started playing the game by myself, I was super nervous to talk to people in the game even in global chat because before ARK I never really had any friends or anyone to talk too (besides my husband but he doesn't count lol). So a month probably goes by and I met my first official Tribemate his name was Jill. We became real good friends still till this day I'm friends with him. It's just crazy to think that a game could bring people together and end up being really good friends in the end. I have met some amazing people and not so great people lol I made even more friendships and I wouldn't trade it for the world. I was honestly thinking about getting a tattoo that's related to ARK not just of the game but the people that I have met this game truly impacted me.

Fast forwarded to today I have been ARKless for months because of poopty internet but soon I will get back to playing ARK and reunite with my Tribemates again. I'm just counting down the days!!![emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2]

• Jatheish unpinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...

I've played Ark since it was released in early access on Xbox one. It has changed how I see games. I've always been an avid gamer but since I've started Ark I can't get onto any other games. I play with my husband, siser-in-law, and a few friends we've met online. I've restarted a dozen times just so I can do it again. I've learned so much about dinos. My kids play on single player ( ages 6 & 7 ) and they have learned a lot too. They are obsessed with dinos now. I can't wait to see what else they can do with the game. I get so excited when I see a big update coming. This game is absolutely amazing keep up the great work Wildcard and thank you for this amazing game.

I play ark with my wife and two other friends, and we have fun trying to tame the island in fits and starts. We march from unlikely victory into embarrassing defeat almost every night we play. It's a bonding experience with my wife and a great way to stay in touch with my long distance friends. So, despite the bugs back in early access (and now), I've come to really enjoy this game, and the impact it has had on my life. Great job guys.

Ah, Ark.... 

You are the bane of my existence....

I died of exposure the first time I played, spawning into a cold night on the island. Couldn't figure out how to build a campfire before the temperature plummeted. Parasaurs wandered up and down the beach. I was hooked. Hard core hooked.

I began on Xbox Official PVP learning very quickly that a ticked off trike will rip your wooden house apart; that other players weren't necessarily friendly. I found it much easier to survive as a boat person and became fairly well known on the server. Since this was way before the Leeds, it was easier to hide and travel. Tames were something that was largely unnecessary in my mind, though I had a couple.... A dodo here, a dilo there.  Even a scorpion, but that's about all.

To say Ark is an addiction is an understatement.  In those first months, I would get up early to play before work, and get on immediately afterward. I even called in sick a few times, just to play. And I'm a old guy with a career and children and tons of responsibilities. I can say it is something I've never done my entire working life, but there it is. I can't get enough of the combination of things I find fascinating and fun. A deadly combination.

I continued to log hours upon hours into Xbox. Met some people and eventually formed a tribe, made a land base, and even became Alphas. Scorched Earth came along, but I didn't get it right away, partly because I lived in the desert much of my adult life. Eventually, I grew tired of the constant griefing and trolling that goes on in PVP. Cross Server Transfers became a thing and the rise of the Mega Tribe. We experienced a server wipe from one. And that was the end of Xbox playing... Well, mostly. I play single player Primitive on it from time to time. 

But while PVP became a nonstarter, Ark did not. I moved to PC and started in earnest as a solo player on official servers. That offered a whole new set of griefing challenges, but it wasn't enough to get me to quit. 

I don't play like most people do. At least, most of the people I've met and played with over the last year and a half to two years. I play almost organically, without goals or agendas. My bases are small compared to most and not filled to capacity with dinos. I'm in no rush to tame everything and beat the Bosses. Some days I simply putter around, others I grind and grind and grind. I tame and breed, collect and build, explore and troubleshoot. One of my favorite things to do is to jump on a flyer and simply cruise, especially on a Wyvern or Griffin, although the Argy is my go to for all around utility.  In some ways, Ark has become a replacement for a life that is succumbing to age. 

My time on the PC has far outpaced my original time on Xbox and I now have substantial bases on all DLCs except for the Center. That one hasn't quite grabbed my attention even though my Xbox tribe ended up there. It's unfortunate that Legacy servers are suffering from mass exits, but as frustrating as it will be if mine are re purposed, I will more than likely continue to play. 

Ah... Ark....

On 01/09/2017 at 3:29 AM, PaleoJoe said:

Amusing story, if I did not tell it in an earlier post:

Normally I learn everything about a game and read all the in-game materials before and during play. For Ark, I decided to go about it differently. It was a survival game, so lets survive! I barely read any material on the game and did not read the in-game text on items. I knew I would be playing this game for a very long time (still am 2 years later) and wanted to enjoy blissful ignorance while I can.

So there I am strolling through the woods and I hear something chase me. I run away as fast as I can. I had berries in my hotbar, so I ate them to replenish my draining water and food levels. Suddenly, everything goes black and I am unable to do anything. I panic as I hear the stomps, followed by the painful crunch of a Carnotaurus killing me.

"Ok, what just happened" I thought. Lets read the text on these items, it cannot hurt the gameplay and would get me more immersed. Hmm, lets read the berries. Azulberry....Mejoberry....Narcoberry. Hello, what is this? A berry that acts as a narcotic? I thought the black berry would be special (tasty) but not a harmful special! Ugh.

After that experience I made sure to read the text on every item.

That's good early game memories lol

1st time I started i can remember thinking how easy it was easy taming because parasurs And raptors made it look easy but the thez looked awesome and you just want that Dino sooo bad lol

I got on a rock and made it agro me, I must have spent a full day up there trying to punch it out ?.. had bear traps placed too... never did get it until late I joined another guy and learned the game

My friend and I were bored, so we went on a PVE ragnarok server. We were looking to claim dinos or steal stuff. (out characters had black hair, red eyes, and our tribe was cult of creeps). we crawled under a random guy's behemoth, and we saw chests of clay and an industrial forge. My friend wanted to turn it on, but I didn't want to waste his gas. My friend crawled deeper into the base and into an open door, and the owner of the building locked himself in with my friend. He said to leave. my friend said hed leave if the dude unlocked one of his vaults, but he didn't. So, my friend ran around his house, turning on all of his electric stuff: fabricator, grill, grinder, etc... The guy chased him, turning them off. I turned on his forge that I told my friend not to turn on earlier and bolted. My friend eventually asked to be invited to the dude's tribe. The dude got on a galli, and my friend got on with him (how stupid) He ran for a little, then leapt over a wall, somehow got my friend off, then hopped out and rode back to his house, putting BYE in the chat. And the moral of the story? DONT GO TO UNKNOWN PLACES WITH STRANGERS!!:D

• 6 months later...

Oh boy, where to start. Joined up when ark first released in pre-alpha. Got in right around the time spinos were released. I remember the day they were released. So much has changed since then. So many dinos so many maps. It was addicting. Played the center island for a long time. Got into wars. Lost some won some. I remember when 20 players fighting 20 players was absolutely enormous. Joined a scorched earth server. It was incredible. So many fun memories. Actually met my fiance on that server. Couple years later our wedding is in just a few days. Sappy love stories aside, all was well.

Then the fire nation attacked. I mean BLDX. Our small 5-10 man tribe allied and eventually temporarily joined a larger tribe that had established itself on a few servers while being the firm alpha of one. Without realizing the size of our predicament we all attacked back. Wiped most of one of their servers. Didnt realize BLDX was raptoring huge. Ive never seen such a hive of exploiting ddossing whiney mothaf***ers in my life. Over three days we fought on our server to defend it. But there was too many. Wave after wave. They had so many people their people were taking damn shifts to keep the attack alive 24/7 .. Running off no sleep and red bull our server finally fell. That was when the water nation.. I mean VVG extended an invitation to us to utilize one of their servers to rebuild. Over the next month or so we found ourselves swept up in politics that took us to allying among former enemies like the brazilians in an attempt to quell the zerg rush and the onslaught of BLDX and Spartans and their allies. The war finally ended with wildcard studios finally banning pretty much everyone ever, wiping several servers, and finally removing the ability to transfer dinos cross server. I put down my headset and walked outside my house to see the sun finally shining overhead. The birds chirped. With the war ended and the inability to transfer anything i owned to a new quiet home i had since put up my ark files where they collected dust. Until now. When one of my motherf**king clan-mates had to mention "we should go play ark again" It will always call to me. This game. No matter how horrible and brutal. The backstabbing and sorrow. The sleepless nights and waking up wondering if your stuff still existed through the night. Here i am.

I originally started ark Jan of 2017. I game with my husband and we had a tight knit group of friends we had a tribe with (Legacy).

In official we play with a totally different group of people. We have an alliance on a few servers and then we all have teamed up Abers. 
It's an amazing little community. Many tribes forming a bigger one. I consider them all friends and I like to think we all of a positive effect on each other. Actually we're more like a little family. Everyone contributes a little something different. 

• 2 months later...

Hey Survivors!
large.59050e8ecb82f_ShooterGame2016-05-1619-06-15-53.00_00_49_19.Still004.jpg.389e2ac35b8d0666bf7253a2ddbcb1d1.jpg
We're looking to collect some player experiences with ARK and we're reaching out to you. [emoji4]
We want to know: how do you play ARK? 
Do you play with your family/kids? Co-workers? Did you meet new friends through the game that have impacted your life since? Did you become a content creator (YouTuber/Streamer/Artist/Etc) because of ARK, or how has ARK affected that if you were before? Have you used ARK at school for learning purposes, such as education using ARK creatures or using the devkit? Are you a teacher who plays with your students?
If you think you have a particularly interesting story about your ARK experience, please share it below!
:Jerblove:

I play on the island and se on the island sever there are tribes that pillar more than they could ever need and on the se sever only yesterday I found that my tribes oil pump had been destroyed less than twelve hours after the time damage had been checked also there are to many tribes that build over oil pumps then only go on sever to reset times or run the scar without dealing with wild wyvern my tribe mate and I had to police 30 wyverns including one alpha before we could run the scar in that time someone jumped in and grabbed eggs while we were busy a lot of people do this then wait for timers to go then leave sever I did play ab for about five months my main reason for stopping ab was having to wait for drops now I have a idea for you make the charge nods Dino transporters that would help every one

• 4 weeks later...

I love ark and I have recently unlocked ragnorock it's a awesome map but it's really dangerous for those of you who don't have it I recommend working to getting it. It is now my new faviroute map I'm trying to game a griffin and I have recently finished getting all the different wyvern types. Anyway ark is a amazing game and ragnorock is a amazing map.

My son got a ps4 from his grandparents, and my wife and I wanted to juice too so we were recommended Ark. I played a couple times, but it soon became tedious and boring. My wife and son played a little longer but the Dinos were scaring him; he was 6, so I wouldn’t let him play. The game sat under our tv until my birthday this August. I set up my friend’s kid to play, but it wasn’t long until another buddy of mine got interested and then all the adults were fighting the kids off the PlayStation. It was funny because we kept dying after like 20 seconds. In hindsight I know that we kept spawning in the swamp area north of the safe spots. Since then I’ve been really enjoying the game. All that is only owed to the wealth of knowledge available to us; like this site, and Dododex. I like the depth and intricacies. 

Archived