Your ARK Stories!

Jen

Rather than a story of how i play ark or w.e I'm gonna give the story of taming my first Yuty the other day...

So adventuring up north with my newly built pirate ship I bring my wolf for scouting and my Therizinosaurus for prime meat gathering for the tame. I spend about 20 mins scanning the shores for a Yuty and can't find a single one despite people saying how common they are. Decide to land and go inland with my wolf and eventually find a level 40 female. My original plan was to tame at least a 100+ Yuty but I was discouraged at this point of not seeing any up until this point so I start riding up to it to kill the carnos and start tranqing it. I quickly learn it was a terrible idea and I get feared by the Yuty immediately. Luckily my wolf in its fear ran off a cliff and away from the cluster descending upon me so we both live. I try looking for the Yuty again but no luck.

At this point I venture further inland and find a level 45 female this time instead. Slightly higher level so I get excited and figure this time I'll just try to shoot it from a distance to avoid the fear. A fellow survivor on my server shows up on his wyvern since I was outside his winter base and he knew I was looking for one to tame and offers to face tank it for me while i knock it out. After shooting it a few times the Yuty runs into deep water but luckily she was standing on a rock when she knocked out and ended up not drowning. Realizing how far inland I was I was worried about bringing my Theri up since he was our best one at level 149 and it is also a pink mutation, and the only one of that muta that we have. 

I decide to go ahead and try to clear a path with my wolf for me to bring the Theri up so I start heading back to the shore to retrieve my Theri and on the way back I see a level 50 Yuty much closer to the shore. I feel this will be a better opportunity plus the Carnos surrounding it decided to attack me while the Yuty was doing its own thing so I also was able to eliminate the other threat in the area. While shooting the Yuty he ends up dying from my darts considering I am using a 250% longneck to do this and he was kinda already hurting from fighting a pack of mammoths. 

After killing that Yuty I decide I'll go ahead and just tame the 45 so I return to it to narc it before I actually bring my Theri up. I set my wolf up with me on its back on a rock in the middle of the river near the tame and go to the bathroom real quick. Apparently while I was gone a nice purlovia decided to rip me off my wolfs back and to the bottom of the river so when I return turns out I had drowned and my wolf was all alone. I respawn on my ship and hop on the Theri, at this point with no fur gear to resist the cold. I get back to my wolf with just a few seconds until I die from the cold. Bones broken I jump in the water and cant find my body to retrieve my fur gear and die to the weather. Freaking out because now both my wolf and Theri are both left alone up there I respawn in a nearby zone(bed was on cooldown) and run as best as I can back to my tames, avoiding the 5 Yuty packs that I encountered along the way(wish these guys had shown up way earlier). I make it back to my tames and even manage to find my body and get my stuff back. By now I'm sitting on top of the Yuty I knocked out with both my wolf and Theri with me so I decide I'm going to go ahead and finish this tame and hop on the Theri to go get the meat for it. Walk about 20 yards away and prepare to kill an Argy for its prime meat and bluescreen. I manage to get back in game without anything happening to my tames  but the default action of dismounting from your tame when you bluescreen manages to kill me when i hit the ground. Now at this point I'm super pissed, how do you die from fall damage hopping off the back of a Theri on flat ground with full hp???

Anyways I make it back to my Theri again and pick up my bag and figure this isnt worth all this trouble if I may potentially lose our best wolf and Theri due to stupid stuff happening and start heading back to my ship with both my tames. On the way back I encounter a pure black level 100 Yuty and can't believe my luck... I start tranqing it from afar and its working in my favor as its stuck on a rock. As its torpor increases it starts to run away from me and ends up swimming out to the sea where it drowns itself.... Terrible luck about to give up on taming a Yuty I head back to the ship again. Low and behold there's a 145 male sitting right in front of my boat. I decide to park my tames away from the area instead of getting them on the boat as I don't want them feared into the water while trying to tank this beast.

After about 10-15 mins of kiting this Yuty using my boat he starts running away onto land and I manage to knock him out up against a rock. Perfect spot as I have a therizane with me, getting the materials to surround it in spikes turned out to be a piece of cake. Now one thing I forgot to mention its about 5 in the morning at this point, I havent slept in over 28 hours and am exhausted. At about 45% the server starts to get active with people logging in so I mention to a few allies what I'm currently taming but its only halfway. Luckily someone who I had traded with in the past showed up with enough cooked mutton to finish the tame much quicker with the only requirement being they get to breed their females with my male. The tame ended up coming out as a 191 tame and is now sitting in my base ready to breed with all the females all my allied tribes tamed...

Oh and the person who gave me the mutton for the tame when I bred with their female Yuty's apparently their first egg gave them a purple mutation body. Hope they'll let me breed daddy with the baby so I can get the mutation too!

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started playing Ark with my husband, he no longer plays. But I have found friends through Ark and it has helped me out a lot with my stress and anxiety. I have found a love of Spinos, I think they are sooo cool. How I first came across a spino was on my 3rd day in Ark and I was walking along a cove near the water and near a river entrance and saw a big fin poking out of the water. I was amazed and just standing there staring at this pretty red colored fin coming closer and closer. I thought to myself that must be some big fish! And all HELL broke loose as a GIANT monster leaped from the water and scared me nearly out of my chair, for who would think a big fish would really be an amphibious t-rex! I died in seconds and as the travel map appeared on my screen adn the read YOU WHERE KILLED words faded I was sitting there in awe at what happened. I looked up the spinosaurus and how to tame it....and it was love at first death. Lol So now I breed spinosaurus....the babies are just tooo cute! 

What attracted me to the game

Open world PVP game with no rules or limits that had a good mix between melee and ranged weapons. The dinos were a nice addition but not the main reason for my purchase.

My play style

I'm a PVP player, raider and griefer. Me and my crew like to go on servers and wipe/raid/destroy for fun and sometimes loot. Typically we'll transfer to a server with our gear and then scout around for bases to hit. We prefer to hit players that are online because its more entertaining but if we come across a base and they aren't online we'll still blow it to bits.

Normally if we see someone that's talking a lot in global we'll try and find their base and attack them. People that are chatty in global tend to make great targets and also attract a lot of heat which is fun. We will kill them a few times and then the alpha on the server will try and come to their rescue after they start screaming in chat for help. That's where things get interesting. We fight strictly on foot so no dino support of any kind but we've been doing this for 2 years now so we feel right at home even when the alpha rocks up with a bunch of Rexes or the occasional Giga.

What I find fun about the game

The most fun part of this game to us is killing other players and killing all their dinos and destroying their base. Playing without dinos adds to the challenge and excitement. There is nothing quite like having an angry alpha tribe trying to hunt you down using all their expensive dinos while you continuously evade capture and wreck more havoc on them and their server. In the last 2 years I have raided 503 bases of various sizes and killed upwards of 3000 tamed dinos. I haven't kept any records on player kills but it would be fairly high at least 1000 or more. I unfortunately can't provide any images of our work because it would give away our tribe name and player names.

A precursor to my story requires you to know that I've loved Spinos since I've first started playing, right around pre-swamp era. Anyways there was this one time that stuck out a bit more to me than most. It took place around Far's Peak on the Island. I lived with a friend on the east coast just south of the swamp with that big clearing near it.

I was fairly new to the game back then and there were not a lot of calculators and stuff around for me to prepare for taming things. On top of that there was a lot of debate onto which taming method was the most superior. (I'm getting off topic though.) So I traveled far from my base and eventually made my way near Smuggler's Pass. There were always Spinos around there. It was an intimidating tame for me at the time, but I didn't care since I wanted one soooo bad. Plus everyone I knew had Rexes and I felt like I had to show them the light so to speak.

Eventually I was able to find a Spino, it's level was pretty low but I didn't care. Eventually after an insane chase and bait battle from the stream (that the Spino kept running back to) I knocked it out somewhere on the hill near Far's Peak. It was (and still is) a very dangerous area in the game and I didn't prepare with narcotics, spike walls and torches. It was also a 1x server and taming things took quite a long time, even with prime. So after a couple in game days of me narrowly escaping death by making torches and what not to stay warm and protecting this huge beast. I tamed it! I was insanely proud of myself and was so happy with the Spino. ( I also remember running out of Narcotics somewhere in the middle of my tame, so narcoberries were the next best thing.)

The ride home on it was awesome and I won't be able to describe how it felt to be able to traverse land and sea so quickly and easily for the first time. I WAS ECSTATIC. The only other creature I had like that was a turtle which was only leveled in movement speed. In short I took that thing everywhere and managed to fight off and keep it alive for the longest time. One day though I was kitting an Alpha Rex when they first came out, and was actually surprised I was making work of it, but thanks to a glitch I got sniped off of my dino which lost us the fight. Since I lived far away from Carno Isle I couldn't get there fast enough to save it. This eventually happened again with a max level kibble tamed Spino that I won't get much into detail to. (Thankfully that bug was fixed!) 

It's not too much of a story, but it means a lot to me since it was right around when I first joined Ark. We had a wood shack on the beach and no one seemed to bother us.

P.S. THANKS FOR GIVING THE SPINO A ROAR, I WAS READING THE CURRENT PATCH NOTES AND I FREAKED <3

lll.jpg

First just wanna say this games has it's hooks in me. Although the game can get really grindy there are moments that make this game amazing. 

I was was set up south east on a cliff, north of green ob and left of the swamps. I needed some metal and to the north of me was a mountain which was filled with material. Only one problem I had no bird. The only way was left or right down the cliff into the swamps. I just recently lost my raptor to a titanboa fight which was assisted by a terror bird. 

I figure I would build a raft and travel to south beach near the split rocks where I find metal east on a hill I was familiar with. The server was low pop so I thought to my self this could be and easy job minus I run into any dangerous dinos. 

While I was picking a nod I was hit with a club and dragged to a cage. The guy fed me meat to keep me alive and for a minute there I didn't know what to do. I was knockout again and I logged off. 15 minutes later I logged back on into a cage that was in his base and he was gone. I didn't know exactly why to do so I just started punching the cage. I began to get tired and passed out. The guy kept coming in bringing materials to his storage boxes and spam the laugh emote. I continue to punch and passed out again but when I woke up this time I somehow was out of the cage. My heart started pounding. He was looking into his inventory and I knocked him out.

I searched his pestle grab some narcs and made him watch me destroy what was a clipping triek that was on passive as well as a turtle. I emptied every single slot of whatever had one. I destroyed his bed took his flac and notice ohhhhh snap I'm stuck in here. His base was partially metal and stone....so I was stuck especially after destroying everything. That was dumb. 

Luckily there was a cooking fire and once the last package diminished...I politely asked him was it worth it...then jump into the fire, died and switch servers.

Y'know it's funny, in the real world I want very little to do with farming. Don't get me wrong, I recognize how absolutely important it is and respect anyone who chooses to grow crops or raise animals for the role they play in keeping the world going, but it's just not for me. But put me in a game like Ark? I'm no dino tamer, I'm no cave explorer, and I'm no boss hunter; but give me an ankylosaur and hill, and before too long I'll be selling dyes, beer, and veggie cakes.

In my gaming group I'm the support guy, sometimes as a tank or a sniper, but in games like Ark it's often by doing a lot of the farming, mining, and refining that (certain) other people don't have the patience for, and that's fine by me. The first time we all got together on a server I staked out the South Haven as my home. I was the first one with an industrial grill and cooker. Heck, I even made a dodo coop to collect eggs so I could get a few oviraptors; next thing I knew I was supplying kibble to EVERYONE. And when we started getting into the really high level gear I took the time to build a mining base on the rim of the volcano, complete with an industrial forge, fabricator, and housing for a few ankylos and eagles. That base basically became the hub of the server and I'm really proud of it.

Now we're moving on to Ragnarok (thankfully, one guy's love of Wyverns and insistence on high level creatures had made the Island a bit too hostile for my taste), and I can't wait to get a fresh start with everything accessible to me. I can't wait to get in there and start working on a cliff-top town or fort, with pastures of sheep and horses milling around alongside the dinos, dung beetles, and snails. 

I love playing this game, and now that the updates are coming, development is moving on to more streamlining, and my PC is fixed, I can't wait to get back in and see what I can do. Of course there's always one thing to remember with this group: Whenever a gig is involved, or anything larger than a raptor for that matter, never volunteer to be "the dodo". It never ends well.

Edit: Oh, and I too am a spino lover.  Rexes are great, but I just love the look and versatility of the spino. I'll often take mine out into the southern shallows hunting for trilobites. One thing I always picture when thinking of Ark the way I like to play it is a tribe spear-fishing in the shallows with a tame spino wading in the near background, snout down as it hunts for bigger game and keeps lookout for threats further out.

I was quite new to ark when this story takes place.

I logged on to an official server that I chose randomly. I spawned in West zone 3 as that was were I always spawned. I spent the first 3 hours wandering around messing with dodos. 

I moved down the beach and all I saw was a raptor charging at me. In a panic I just kept punching it until it passed out. That level 15 or so raptor was my first tame ever on ark. I made it a saddle and kept on moving. I made it to a wooden house and asked in game chat if anyone was in there. They replied yeah and asked did I want to join their tribe. I said yes and so I joined the tribe. Over the next week or so I became good friends with these guys. We built up a stone Base and tamed lots of random dinosaur.  We grew crops and grew bigger. We thought we were invincible. We got wiped by a 9 year old with a giga a week later.

That is the story of how I met the group of friends that I continue to play ark with to this day.

So Im an old man now. My son is 13 and started playing Ark. I was not into it at all at first, (Im a retired Gamer.Halo 2 Combat Vet.) But one day decided to join him for poops and giggles. After about a week I found myself on the back of a Tapejara sniping dragons with long barrel tranq darts. I havent had this much fun since my LAN party Halo days.

We have yet to go online to dedicated servers cause it looks like all sorts of BM. We are pretty frustrated about the Updates, but we are gaming together so I wouldnt change a thing! Thanks Ark, cool game.

Hola,

One of the stories i love to tell about ARK is when we fought the alpha of our server on 187 before transfers were allowed... back then you worried about your base when you slept and were at work haha...

So we were a group of IRL friends and some ARK neighbours that merged ... we still enjoy playing together more than 18 months later !

Its a very fun realistic game !

Hey guys first off I wanna shout out to team Wild Card!! Amazing job on the game and it's progress, can't wait to see where it goes from launch!

Alright!!! Well I play on primitive PvE server 451 and have been there since almost day 1 of xbox preview release, there are few other players on the server that are day one players. We have an amazing community of players that get together and help eachother out with various things on the island wether it be taming a new Rex, or going on a dungeon run. We recently built a Colosseum on our server where we do events every weekend, and the events consist of racing, spear throwing, Archery, and soon melee combat. We race all sorts of dinos such as Raptors, Equus, Ovis, Turtle, Iguanadon, and more to come. These races come with great reward for 1st place and because of this it has inspired players to breed dinos to have stats favorable for the colosseum events. 

There are tribes who pride themselves on their purebred racing sheep and horses and it gets very competitive, check out our xbox club for pictures @"Ark Colosseum Events" or join us at the colosseum live on "official xbox server primitive 451" or on twitch @Irishtaylor777

I play in Single Player for a few reasons:

1. I'd rather stay away from the things I've seem and heard about servers for a while.

2. I like to learn things on my own with help from some awesome Youtube channels.

3. I've always been a lone wolf and preferred doing things on my own.

I bought Ark during the recent Steam summer sale along with Scorched Earth.

After only spending a few hours with the max spawn level (which seems to also edit the chances of carnivores spawning) set at .2, I decided to go for a challenge and play at 1.0.

The game's tough in a good way, and loads of fun. I've already tamed several dinos and I'm only level 15 at the time of writing this. I've had some tough experiences that drive me to the point of restarting, so I haven't gotten far yet. South 1 is my favorite spawn point out of all of the Souths, as it's the least dangerous (for the most part). There was a decently powerful Spino that spawned not far away, which eventually ended up fighting some Megalodons, winning, proceeding to enter the little cove near South 1, wander over and kill the Brontosaurus that always spawns right next to the player, and in the process kill three of my dinos. I wasn't all that sad about it, as I knew the Spino would eventually swim away and fight more Megalodons. It eventually did. After  a few minutes the beast swam off into the sunset whilst fighting sharks. I reclaimed my base, tamed more dinos, and progressed a bit further in the game. But then, on a little scouting mission with my Parasaur, we spotted a bone white raptor with red feathers. It scared me. My previous experiences with Raptors were in no way pleasant. It managed to wander down the cliff it was on, killed a Stegosaurus, and wandered over to my side of the beach. As soon as I saw it was an Alpha, I panicked. I mounted my Parasaur, set all of my dinos on follow, and just left. I didn't even bother to gather anything from my base, because I knew the thing could be on top of me in less than a minute. There was a large herd of Parasaurs nearby, and I knew if one ran from this beautiful Alpha Raptor and towards me, my dinos and I were toast. My little family of a Parasaur, a turtle, two Lystros, three Dilophosaurs, a Pteranodon, a Dodo, and a Dimorphodon have safely escaped without suffering any casualties, and are journeying westwards along the beach in search of a new home. I don't intend on going anywhere near that Raptor until I have the ability to fly. South 1 belongs to a stunning white and red Alpha Raptor now, but I eventually hope to tame it.

That was the shortened version of what's happened in my current save. This game is great, and I hope to see more content and fixes before and after it's full launch.

I started ARK after binging off of some minecraft about a month ago. I saw several footages of the game and said hey, why not give it a shot. 

I literally did not have ANY friends on steam, mind you, I barely used steam as it was. 

So after several attempts at a decent server, checking forums, etc, I came across this small group of aussies who wanted to make a city in a PVE server. 

Been running with these guys ever since, server is a lot of fun, even though its an OC Official one, and can't really stop idiots from being idiots, but not much room to complain. 

Dear Wildcard

Ever since Ark has came out it has inspired me to be a Paleontologist. This game has caused a love for dinosaurs inside me that will never be broken. In September I will be a Junior in High School and I am currently looking for colleges. When I am older I will look back and say Ark changed my life. Without Ark my life path would be different. I cant wait to go to college and study Paleontology and Geology. Thanks for making this game and working on it. Thanks for all the great moments. I will never stop playing this game.

From Pachycephalosaurus

Craziest Ark Moment

Just a short story of a former solo pvp player.

Quite some time ago I got wiped by my homeservers alpha an decided to try out scorched earth as the servers seemed pretty much underpopulated at the time beeing.

first day I lost my only left tame a decent ptera. I was devastated to say the least. I still set up my base and decided to tame a high lvl argi.

i found a 150 right next to my hideout and as I had the day of I decided to meat tame it.

i downed it and it had really good stats. I went back to my base to find a lvl 120 Ovis sitting in front of my door. That way I got myself a lvl 220 argi and was loving arc as I never did befor.

5 hours later I took it out into the desert, blue screened just after a deathworm jumped me and lost my argi a mc riotshield and an ASD. Fab. Sniper I had just found in a loot crate ?

I have played Ark for about two years now and I owe it to iBallisticSquid on YouTube!! Thx Squidoodaly!!!! I have been asking my mom if I can buy it and it took about a month to convince her. When I did get it, I was so happy and excited! I have been on forums but never answered the obelisk question it was really funny when I finally got it right. I joined to the forums not too long ago and have been updated on new updates ever since! 

On 6/22/2017 at 4:37 PM, AiDoll said:

I started playing Ark with my husband, he no longer plays. But I have found friends through Ark and it has helped me out a lot with my stress and anxiety. 

When I first started out, the stress and Anxiety of trying to stay alive while doing anything was High level lol.  But, I agree with you, it provides a comfortable atmosphere when you are on with friends, You can be non committal, if you are in a tribe, teamwork is well developed yada yada yada.  It is a good release but It does have me hooked.  I do have a very nice blue Spino.

6 hours ago, TheHappyPony said:

Just a short story of a former solo pvp player.

Quite some time ago I got wiped by my homeservers alpha an decided to try out scorched earth as the servers seemed pretty much underpopulated at the time beeing.

first day I lost my only left tame a decent ptera. I was devastated to say the least. I still set up my base and decided to tame a high lvl argi.

i found a 150 right next to my hideout and as I had the day of I decided to meat tame it.

i downed it and it had really good stats. I went back to my base to find a lvl 120 Ovis sitting in front of my door. That way I got myself a lvl 220 argi and was loving arc as I never did befor.

5 hours later I took it out into the desert, blue screened just after a deathworm jumped me and lost my argi a mc riotshield and an ASD. Fab. Sniper I had just found in a loot crate ?

The ARK giveth, and the ARK taketh away lol.

I have a sad sad story. 

A few weeks ago I lost my 175 hatched fire wyv. I was flying Around the jungle and I wasn't paying enough attention when the alpha tribes base rendered in and I was killed by their turrets. This was my only dragon I've ever raised and it was a pretty devistating loss.

Well a few weeks after that a friend and I decided to rebuild a scorched earth base and reraise a couple dragons. Everything goes well and I manage to raise another 175 hatched egg but lightning this time. So the first day it becomes fully grown and able to ride we fly out to hunt some death worms. We are able to kill a few and take a break to regain health on our wyverns. We go back to hunting when we see two worms and decided to give it a shot when a third worm comes from behind. Both of our dragons start taking serious damage so we abandoned the hunt and go to escape. As soon as we begin to flee a sand storm starts and I'm only able to fly a short distance away before my wyvern runs out of stamina. So as I'm landing all three worms catch up to me and murder my wyvern...that I just raised that day.

Well for the next 6 or so days I run through the scar looking for another high lvl egg to raise when I find a 190 poison! I transfer the egg to my Center server to keep safe when the game crashes, rolls back and my egg disappears. 

Fml

I grinded metal and electronics to move from scorched to the island. It took a long time. I built my Base 60 behemoth gates and 40k ings for the incubation building I then sank around 70k ings into a metal water pen. Before I used the pen or incubation house my server had a "catastrophic failure". Now I have no Base, pen or server. 

My story. 

Hardback out soon.

Archived