Did our Console players not read the forums beforehand?

Anarki

I'm slightly bemused at the responses I'm reading from our console players after their recent patch. The PC players have clearly made their thoughts and feelings known with regards to the flying nerf and I would have thought that the community (both Console and PC players) were all as aware as each other what the impacts have been since the nerf.

I have read many threads from players on the forums for the first time (which I would expect them to be slightly less polite with their complaints given that they were not probably aware how the nerf affected everyone), but I'm seeing seasoned forum users complaining in exactly the same way and this I feel is a little immature.

Its fine that we as a community come together and share our thoughts but what I am reading now is the same complaints/comments/ideas as what was posted in the last 4 weeks - and some of these are with a fewer manners as what was discussed before.

We all have an opinion and it is fair that we all share these, but please please please read the other threads saying the same thing over and over again.

Sorry for my rant but I really want to read something fresh and discuss something other than the 'ruining' of everyone's games.

On a side note, how many players have ARK on both PC and Console and do you see a big difference between the two?

Thanks

You would think nobody knew it was coming, I stayed very close to the forum when the nerf hit PC, but maybe just didn't think it was that bad. Lol. I did a few metal runs last night and that was all I could stomach, it just forced me to find other things to do. Land Dino's are pretty fun, but I miss my old Argy. 

I was aware of the flyer change, although it did hit a little harder than what I expected.  I have taken a quetz out once and it was painful, the rest are parked. I'm basically just breeding and gathering meat at the moment.

The glaring xbox issue is the UI. I didn't see too many PC guys complaining about it, probably because they are closer to the screen.  From my couch 6 feet away from a 54" TV I can't read poop. - Small text.

-Grey on Grey in smithy

-Blue on blue in inventory.

-Structure info being central on the screen for no reason.

-More touches required to do most things. Previously if I selected one stack and moved it the cursor would jump back to the space where it selected from. Now I have to tap all the way back again. 

There is no way anyone from the dev team tested this UI on console because there are so many obvious mistakes.

The biggest point is that had we started complaining about it beforehand we would have just been dismissed and told to wait and see for ourselves.  Well we have and it blows.  But like many others have said the flyer thing is nothing compared to the trash menu we are now stuck with.  I'm sure it works fine on pc but on console it's like giving my autistic daughter the controller on one of her bad days and asking her to go to a specific spot.  The menu needed changed because of similar reasons before bit now it is 100 times worse.

1 minute ago, mastersmith said:

The biggest point is that had we started complaining about it beforehand we would have just been dismissed and told to wait and see for ourselves.  Well we have and it blows.  But like many others have said the flyer thing is nothing compared to the trash menu we are now stuck with.  I'm sure it works fine on pc but on console it's like giving my autistic daughter the controller on one of her bad days and asking her to go to a specific spot.  The menu needed changed because of similar reasons before bit now it is 100 times worse.

You won't be dismissed this time when I tell you that the developers already addressed the issue with consoles and the UI. Fix will come in an update.

I've stayed up to date on the nerf. I had my views when it came out on PC, despite me playing on PS4.

they should have either nerfed the speed OR the stamina, not both. Or at least not nerf the stamina as much.

they should have capped the speed. So at least you can still get about, but not at ridiculous 300% speeds. 

2 minutes ago, Darkwinter said:

You won't be dismissed this time when I tell you that the developers already addressed the issue with consoles and the UI. Fix will come in an update.

Here is the elephant in the room then.  If they knew the menu was trash to begin with then why release it in it's broken state?  "In a future update" means a couple weeks worst case for pc however for us it means we have to deal with this crap for 2 months.

2 minutes ago, mastersmith said:

Here is the elephant in the room then.  If they knew the menu was trash to begin with then why release it in it's broken state?  "In a future update" means a couple weeks worst case for pc however for us it means we have to deal with this crap for 2 months.

Yes. I'm sure the developers are that disqualified that they can't fix tiny problems within 2 months. Just sit tight then. If you don't understand, this is sarcasm. 

As for the other thing, you can't test something with 5 guys and expect that it will work with 500000 people. That is with every game and last time I checked this is also a game (In development if you don't mind)

4 minutes ago, Samammo said:

I've stayed up to date on the nerf. I had my views when it came out on PC, despite me playing on PS4.

they should have either nerfed the speed OR the stamina, not both. Or at least not nerf the stamina as much.

they should have capped the speed. So at least you can still get about, but not at ridiculous 300% speeds. 

I don't even care about a 300% ptera.  What I do care about is my wyvern that came out with 120% movement speed that was nerfed down and because I didn't increase it with levels I got nothing back for it.  I worked my ass off to 100% imprint it by myself to have a large portion of that benefit ripped away from me.

1 minute ago, Darkwinter said:

Yes. I'm sure the developers are that disqualified that they can't fix tiny problems within 2 months. Just sit tight then. If you don't understand, this is sarcasm. 

As for the other thing, you can't test something with 5 guys and expect that it will work with 500000 people. That is with every game and last time I checked this is also a game (In development if you don't mind)

The point isn't that the devs suck so bad as they can't fix it .  The point is that our updates are 4-6 weeks behind yours.  So what takes 2 weeks to actually fix takes us 2 months to ever see.

2 minutes ago, mastersmith said:

The point isn't that the devs suck so bad as they can't fix it .  The point is that our updates are 4-6 weeks behind yours.  So what takes 2 weeks to actually fix takes us 2 months to ever see.

And that's why there will be an update today relating this. If that's not soon enough for you, you can send in a complaint. Look at the patch notes here:

7 minutes ago, Darkwinter said:

Umm... yes, with certain things you really can. It helps that those people have a clue about what they're beginning to do in the first place. If they don't, then you just don't randomly change stuff until you get relevant advice from someone who does know, like a UI consultant! Literally how hard can it be to build your dev build, start up your Xbox dev kit and put it on a TV (in the way that the overwhelming majority of people use a console, not attached to a smaller monitor!!) - and think, "ah, yeah, actually, this blue-on-blue looks really bad". Or "maybe this font is too small to read at this distance" - it's basic stuff!!!

Hopefully the UI gets a significant amount of work for console because the simple fact for me is that the old one was more efficient, despite looking worse/dated.

1 minute ago, TranqRex said:

Umm... yes, with certain things you really can. It helps that those people have a clue about what they're beginning to do in the first place. If they don't, then you just don't randomly change stuff until you get relevant advice from someone who does know, like a UI consultant! Literally how hard can it be to build your dev build, start up your Xbox dev kit and put it on a TV (in the way that the overwhelming majority of people use a console, not attached to a smaller monitor!!) - and think, "ah, yeah, actually, this blue-on-blue looks really bad". Or "maybe this font is too small to read at this distance" - it's basic stuff!!!

Hopefully the UI gets a significant amount of work for console because the simple fact for me is that the old one was more efficient, despite looking worse/dated.

I'm sitting at 1,5-2 metres away and I can perfectly read everything. Nothing wrong with the blue on blue in my opinion. Ofcourse I had the update on PC already so I knew where everything was so maybe that's why I don't have to read what everything means.

1 minute ago, Darkwinter said:

I'm sitting at 1,5-2 metres away and I can perfectly read everything. Nothing wrong with the blue on blue in my opinion. Ofcourse I had the update on PC already so I knew where everything was so maybe that's why I don't have to read what everything means.

Push that back to 3-4 meters and try again.

26 minutes ago, Darkwinter said:

Opinions are fine, we all have them ;)

However UI design is a real thing, with countless years of research, development and practice behind it. It doesn't seem to me that much of that was applied to this UI overhaul, especially from a console standpoint. Seems like it was designed to "look cool and futuristic" probably to fit in with all the blue that Tek Tier seems to have. It's fixable though, just hope it improves!

Archived