An Honest Suggestion Regarding Movement Speed All Around

TheMizuPhoenix

Hello all,

I've been reserving my thoughts and opinions until my initial displeasure of the flyer nerf wore off and I could offer up a meaningful suggestion. I'm sure this will get some backlash from other users, but ultimately I'm just posting this in the hopes the devs will take a look.

Im not happy with the flyer nerf, but with that being said, I do understand the reasons behind it. I agree that the flyers needed individual roles, and for the most part that was accomplished. My biggest complaint still is movement speed. Wait - hear me out. I play PvE, so I can't speak for much of PvP, but I wasn't one who pumped all my points into movement speed and stamina to avoid content. I just enjoyed flying and scouting and etc that flyers were good for. After this nerf, I can see how you could say flyers are balanced, but in my honest opinion, they are only balanced when being compared to other flyers. At this point in the game, for any long distance travel or scouting mission, the birds are obsolete. The Pteras are still too slow and the need to constantly stop for stamina is too frustrating. Fine - I can deal with that. Here's my actual suggestion moving forward:

Bring back the ability to level movement speed on flyers under these conditions only!

Make a graph or a spreadsheet with 5 categories. Very Slow, Slow, Medium, Fast, and Very Fast. Assign each dinosaur to one of the 5 categories. When I say every dinosaur I absolutely mean land and water dinosaurs in addition to flyers. I will expand on my reasoning shortly. To continue, once you have the categories of movement speed sorted, set a range for each category. For example (please don't take these too literally) Very Slow is 75-100%. Slow is 100-125% Medium is 125-150% Fast is 150-175% and Very Fast is 175-200%. Allow the dinosaurs within each category to level the movement speed within the confines of this range limit. 

Now to expand a bit on my reasoning. I enjoy the customization options of this game very much, being able to tailor any Dino for the role I want it to be. If I want a raptor pumped up in melee and health, I can have it. If I want a shark to be pumped up only in movement speed, I can do that. It may not be efficient, it may not be the role they were designed for, but I can do it. You've removed that ability for customization in flyers to eliminate overpowered super fast birds. I believe my suggestion can bring that balance to all dinosaurs. The fact that I can level my T Rex to run faster than my Ptera can fly seems a little silly and not within the realms of balance in terms of dinos overall. If you want to bring balance to the game, it needs to be done overall with the same restrictions applied across the board. Gallimimus and ichthyosaurs are pretty game breaking in speed as well. They may not be a big threat, but I'd say I can outrun any water content on my speed based Ichthy, and I can outrun just about anything on land with my speed leveled Galli. So content can still be skipped even without flyers. Hence my suggestion to assign a category and range of speed for all dinosaurs to your specifications and allow for the customization of movement speed within those defined parameters. My honest thought is that this will bring the needed balance you desire and make flyers more relevant again. 

Thank you for your time in reading my post. I hope something else is done in regards to flyers or movement speed as a whole going forward, it is still off and needs a bit more tweaking. I love this game and I have faith that things will eventually come to be where they will be balanced across the board - just takes patience, time, and honest feedback. 

Note: I understand that there are other issues to be addressed where flyers are concerned - melee, weight, and stamina, but as I don't prioritize those as much in my gameplay, I'm sure someone else can offer a much better suggestion to their improvement, so I've limited mine purely to movement speed. 

22 minutes ago, TheMizuPhoenix said:

Hello all,

I've been reserving my thoughts and opinions until my initial displeasure of the flyer nerf wore off and I could offer up a meaningful suggestion. I'm sure this will get some backlash from other users, but ultimately I'm just posting this in the hopes the devs will take a look.

Im not happy with the flyer nerf, but with that being said, I do understand the reasons behind it. I agree that the flyers needed individual roles, and for the most part that was accomplished. My biggest complaint still is movement speed. Wait - hear me out. I play PvE, so I can't speak for much of PvP, but I wasn't one who pumped all my points into movement speed and stamina to avoid content. I just enjoyed flying and scouting and etc that flyers were good for. After this nerf, I can see how you could say flyers are balanced, but in my honest opinion, they are only balanced when being compared to other flyers. At this point in the game, for any long distance travel or scouting mission, the birds are obsolete. The Pteras are still too slow and the need to constantly stop for stamina is too frustrating. Fine - I can deal with that. Here's my actual suggestion moving forward:

Bring back the ability to level movement speed on flyers under these conditions only!

Make a graph or a spreadsheet with 5 categories. Very Slow, Slow, Medium, Fast, and Very Fast. Assign each dinosaur to one of the 5 categories. When I say every dinosaur I absolutely mean land and water dinosaurs in addition to flyers. I will expand on my reasoning shortly. To continue, once you have the categories of movement speed sorted, set a range for each category. For example (please don't take these too literally) Very Slow is 75-100%. Slow is 100-125% Medium is 125-150% Fast is 150-175% and Very Fast is 175-200%. Allow the dinosaurs within each category to level the movement speed within the confines of this range limit. 

Now to expand a bit on my reasoning. I enjoy the customization options of this game very much, being able to tailor any Dino for the role I want it to be. If I want a raptor pumped up in melee and health, I can have it. If I want a shark to be pumped up only in movement speed, I can do that. It may not be efficient, it may not be the role they were designed for, but I can do it. You've removed that ability for customization in flyers to eliminate overpowered super fast birds. I believe my suggestion can bring that balance to all dinosaurs. The fact that I can level my T Rex to run faster than my Ptera can fly seems a little silly and not within the realms of balance in terms of dinos overall. If you want to bring balance to the game, it needs to be done overall with the same restrictions applied across the board. Gallimimus and ichthyosaurs are pretty game breaking in speed as well. They may not be a big threat, but I'd say I can outrun any water content on my speed based Ichthy, and I can outrun just about anything on land with my speed leveled Galli. So content can still be skipped even without flyers. Hence my suggestion to assign a category and range of speed for all dinosaurs to your specifications and allow for the customization of movement speed within those defined parameters. My honest thought is that this will bring the needed balance you desire and make flyers more relevant again. 

Thank you for your time in reading my post. I hope something else is done in regards to flyers or movement speed as a whole going forward, it is still off and needs a bit more tweaking. I love this game and I have faith that things will eventually come to be where they will be balanced across the board - just takes patience, time, and honest feedback. 

Note: I understand that there are other issues to be addressed where flyers are concerned - melee, weight, and stamina, but as I don't prioritize those as much in my gameplay, I'm sure someone else can offer a much better suggestion to their improvement, so I've limited mine purely to movement speed. 

Good suggestions i like em to an extent.. there would have to be a lot of feedback between us and WC to make it happen though. For example; i might think capping argy at 130 might be good while wc or another player might think 200 is good.

It's a good idea, but in reality it though it may seem like it would give players more freedom again of how to customize their birds but the truth is there would make it near required to level speed (as was before) and make a set point where it's clearly inefficient to invest further.  There wouldn't be any meaningful choice to be made except level speed until the clamp tells you not to anymore.

8 hours ago, TheMizuPhoenix said:

The Pteras are still too slow and the need to constantly stop for stamina is too frustrating.

It's called balancing. They aren't mean to be fighter jets that don't need to refuel. Sounds like you've spent too many hours with your head in the clouds and not enough time with boots on the ground.

Just now, SuperSaiyanGoku said:

Well my thoughts where speed only being implemented upon breeding. Which you would end up with decent speed but no where near OP speed. Stamina should have gains on imprint as well. Breeding is an end game feature if I spend 8days on a quetzal it should b a little faster than a early game tamed quetz.

Stamina being impacted by imprinting is something I agree with and a change I've wanted since before any flyer changes.

Well before there was no need tbh. The devs need to compensate in some way I've always been big on my ground game but transit is awful, on average I have 6hrs of gameplay a day. metal runs take double the time,  my opinion is they are making the game unenjoyable, the flyer nerf was to harsh if devs don't listen to the people who enjoy the game, they will lose fan base. tek jet packs to get around sounds awful I quit cod cuz of jet packs.

Archived