Discussion: Console update will show how people really feel about flier nerfs.

usrevenge

8 hours ago, Jostabeere said:

Taming makes fun now. You don't grab 90% of dinos, fly across the map and drop them in a pen. You actually tame them where they are. You take care that they don't die, you try to survive against other dinos and don't simply sit infront of your pen.

Ehh really? ever heard of kiting? i'm never taming out in the wild, one bite of anything and you lose all bonuslevels. Survival is using your brain, not play a wanna be shooter. 

If not build a thatch hut in the snow biome and enjoy staying equipped with that wooden spear :)

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Griffin1984 said:

Ehh really? ever heard of kiting? i'm never taming out in the wild, one bite of anything and you lose all bonuslevels. Survival is using your brain, not play a wanna be shooter. 

If not build a thatch hut in the snow biome and enjoy staying equipped with that wooden spear :)

I don't need to kite it for a long period of time to a certain point and because I know how to get a dino down somewhere in the wild and prevent other wilds from getting to it. Quetzs were novelty. It's a different form of survival. I use skills to get it down and defend it, you use skills to kite.

• Volunteer Moderator
11 minutes ago, Griffin1984 said:

Now that is where you are wrong, every king of the sky, land and ocean in reality is outrunned and outmaneuvered by there prey. It's part of the evolution, where predators can reach great speed for a short time, the prey usually has stamina and consistent speed to get away.

This is nature saying to predators "you must work for your food"

Imho, wild dragons should have stamina to, so a ptera or argent can get away by outmaneuvering and outlasting it.

Pretty much this, not to mention that titles like "king" or "lord" don't necessarily equate to being the best specimen in a given form of terrain. Take for example the lion. It's affectionately been labelled by humans far and wide as the "king of the jungle". However, a cheetah is faster, and a tiger is larger and a leopard is more dextrous.

8 minutes ago, Jostabeere said:

I don't need to kite it for a long period of time to a certain point and because I know how to get a dino down somewhere in the wild and prevent other wilds from getting to it. Quetzs were novelty. It's a different form of survival. I use skills to get it down and defend it, you use skills to kite.

each it's own choice :), but i have the feeling the devs want to dictate us our choices and that's just sad because an open play game should not eliminate options, it should add them.

4 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

Pretty much this, not to mention that titles like "king" or "lord" don't necessarily equate to being the best specimen in a given form of terrain. Take for example the lion. It's affectionately been labelled by humans far and wide as the "king of the jungle". However, a cheetah is faster, and a tiger is larger and a leopard is more dextrous.

indeed, and in the sky the hawk and eagle rule, but a pigeon or spearow outmaneuvers and outruns it. which is why these predators are great hunters due to skill, not because they are better at everything. 

what i dont get is why they felt the need to reduce the speed of Wyverns, i purposely didnt touch my raised Wyverns speed knowing it would be pointless come the update (it came out at 114.2) yet its gone down to 100? i lost 15 levels on my wyvern yet got none back! all i had pumped was health a mele & they stayed the same

Updatenjust sucks. Most of my flyers will be for my Zoo and never to use again. GUI just sucks the way it is now. 

I realy get the feeling the do not test anything before they drop it live. 

Make a test server where you put all updates first. Get feedback from the people that test it and adjust it. 

If i did not buy the game and would buu it now our on release i would not buy it with this kind of huge negative information you can find on the internet and even some magazines.

Pitty for a game that could be good but have a managment that is not listing to there player base and do not even reply on there own offical forums but do in 3th party forums........

Guest BubbaCrawfish
44 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

"Wild" stat points allocated to speed (which was a dump stat on a wild dino) was just outright removed. That is most likely what those ~20 levels are.

Thanks for the response, and now you say about that removal, that does make sense. Again, thanks for the response.

Just now, Chadstacca said:

what i dont get is why they felt the need to reduce the speed of Wyverns, i purposely didnt touch my raised Wyverns speed knowing it would be pointless come the update (it came out at 114.2) yet its gone down to 100? i lost 15 levels on my wyvern yet got none back! all i had pumped was health a mele & they stayed the same

I had the same with argents, they where never to fast or to OP, they could be faster but nothing game-breaking, now you can barely outrun those pesky bugs...

For the players that spent hours and hours of sleepless nights raising 250+-300 mutant argy and Pteras to end up with level 160-180 go raptor yourself Wildcard those were perfect tames and generations upon generations to get to where we were at to be undone. Its a progress based game and you keep undoing everyones weeks and months of progress in an instant. The only times my tames die is when your disconnections/rollbacks happen which has been every hour as of late

• Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, Griffin1984 said:

each it's own choice :), but i have the feeling the devs want to dictate us our choices and that's just sad because an open play game should not eliminate options, it should add them.

An open world game should indeed offer choices, but these choices are based on parameters set by developers. This is why in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (yet another franchise labelled as an open world game) you can't make use of poison darts on civillians to draw out and kill the evil templar Doctor, but you can make use of crowd cover, long ranged weaponry, or other means to do so.

4 minutes ago, Chadstacca said:

As I've stated before, "wild" stat points allocated to speed were also removed. This is why your flyers have lower levels now even if you hadn't put any points into speed.

Just now, ciabattaroll said:

An open world game should indeed offer choices, but these choices are based on parameters set by developers. This is why in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (yet another franchise labelled as an open world game) you can't make use of poison darts on civillians to draw out and kill the evil templar Doctor, but you can make use of crowd cover, long ranged weaponry, or other means to do so.

As I've stated before, "wild" stat points allocated to speed were also removed. This is why your flyers have lower levels now even if you hadn't put any points into speed.

The egg came out with 114.2 speed, i never touched it, did say this ;) so to me that is wild, and a Wild Wyvern vs my Wyvern now means i have to stand a fight not flee as the 'Wild' Speed is faster than my 'Wild' speed

Really the only thing that needed nerfing was the Pteranodon. For an early tame it was pretty game breaking how OP it was.

The Argentavis and Quetzal requires some effort to get not to mention the grind of breeding. If you have the time and patience to do selective breeding, you deserve your OP Argy's and Quetzal's. I fail to see why there were nerfed.

If they're that worried about the power of flying, they should of just made it more hazardous to fly by either introducing new flying dinos that aggro or make a new base defence specifically designed to target and do high damage to flyers.

I think with Red Dead 2, Destiny 2 and Crackdown 3 due for launch this year Wildcard chose the wrong time to put in changes that players did not want. We wanted repairs not nerfs. That said i have 3 Argies two tamed and one hatched and i put my points into the health stamina and weight as they are used to carry items too and from my mountain base so speed was never an issue. One thing i dont understand though is why was my hatched Argies level decreased it went from 266 to 231?

Id rather they had fixed the falling through floors issue or the speed you starve from a full stomach or water.

13 hours ago, Volcano637 said:

I don't think Pteras will get anymore of anything even in v3 if it comes. They were the main focus of the nerf.

having said that I do see them making some alterations to quetz, wyvern, and tape. But pteras probably won't get anything. Well except the loss of picking ability, which is still somewhat of another nerf

Honestly, I would like to see real balancing of ptera, more than just adjusting randomly (her is the keyword) some numbers in their spreadsheet. Like this: 

Intended role: light scout (WC said, that is the intention)

Changes: 
- remove barrel roll ability as is
- decrease attack damage, even HP
- pickup only small animals (like size of meso, dodo, compy), surely NOT humans, but even we can consider removal of pickup ability.
- reduce weight
- give back speed levelup possibility and lower sprint stamina consumption.
- maybe less speed increase / level as before, like 2% / level, that means the possible maximum is around 135 (base)+60*2

There you go. Here is a scout bird, what is actually usable for scouting and light travelling - as it supposed to be used.
 PVP problem eliminated, because even if they could fly faster than turret tracking, they can do no harm, because they can only SCOUT. 

I'm behind but I just flew to green ob and back on a wyvern. What a joke! It's lvl 201 and barely made the trip. Now to put that in context. My base is a green ob beach base. ( i.e. My useless Mosa.) I pretty much have a green ob base and can't make the trip, but really I can't even pick up the thylas for lack of stamina. Which is fine it's THEIR game. I just hope THEY realize endgame grind is so freaking boring! Essentially doubling the time EVERYTHING takes is idiocy! Something as mundane as picking up dinos from the ob now takes longer?????? Who's logic is that? Lol and the answer to the supposed riddle? ride your slower land mount, render in every metal base, or detour more of your time away around it. FUN FACTOR is huge in the success of any game. End game grind has such a diminishing fun factor replaced with straight up boring why am I making this stupid 10 minute metal run? (Which is now a 20 minute metal run). I realize you've already gotten my money a few times! Couple Xbox purchases and one on pc. So pretty much you have to worry about new customers. Idk I'm starting to think ark will never be released and only be an unreleased indie type hit. It's my first day with the update and as of right now I'm still an ark addict. That being said chances are pretty high I'll be taking another ark break if 90% of the fun factor stays gone. I.e. Broken ocean and broken sky! Future options look to me like ( spend x% more of your time doing the same mundane grind because ark wars wasn't balanced lol )

• Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, Chadstacca said:

The egg came out with 114.2 speed, i never touched it, did say this ;) so to me that is wild, and a Wild Wyvern vs my Wyvern now means i have to stand a fight not flee as the 'Wild' Speed is faster than my 'Wild' speed

Ok, now I see where the disconnect is. All the flyers have had their movement speed value changed to display as 100. The 114.2 you saw is most likely from before the update.

jeeeezes what a poopstorm :D 

while i feel sorry for the console players that they cannot revert or soften the changes in any way i think this is how it should be, for the PC aswell. i dont like the possibility to completely ignore the direction this game is going. I would still encourage console players to give it a shot. i feel alot better after the update and im having alot more fun with it compared to before the nerf. the game is alot more diverse for me now. 

Play the game for some time, try out new things. then come back here and give constructive feedback either positive or negative.

i wish all of you console players the best of luck surviving. :)  

14 minutes ago, szabiferi said:

Honestly, I would like to see real balancing of ptera, more than just adjusting randomly (her is the keyword) some numbers in their spreadsheet. Like this: 

Intended role: light scout (WC said, that is the intention)

Changes: 
- remove barrel roll ability as is

- pickup only small animals (like size of meso, dodo, compy), surely NOT humans, but even we can consider removal of pickup ability.
- reduce weight
- give back speed levelup possibility and lower sprint stamina consumption.
- maybe less speed increase / level as before, like 2% / level, that means the possible maximum is around 135 (base)+60*2

There you go. Here is a scout bird, what is actually usable for scouting and light travelling - as it supposed to be used.
 PVP problem eliminated, because even if they could fly faster than turret tracking, they can do no harm, because they can only SCOUT. 

you're wrong here.

it wasnt the ptera that did the damage it was the player, they used the insane speed + the barrel roll to bypass the turrets and get in a safe spot inside the perimeter. then they just blew it all up with C4 or rockets.

i agree with you on:

- reduce weight

i dont agree with:

- remove barrel roll ability as is i would suggest changing it to an evasive manouver that doesnt do damage and has a timer on it, like 1 time every 15 seconds.

- give back speed levelup possibility and lower sprint stamina consumption. just no, speed can maybe get a little bit of a boost to 160% base but no level ups and certainly nothing faster then that for the ptera

- maybe less speed increase / level as before, like 2% / level, that means the possible maximum is around 135 (base)+60*2 same as above.

the ptera as it is is a fine scouting bird, its fast, its mobile and a decent lvl one with some points into stam can fly a loooooong way before landing.

Bye bye imprinted flyers. every flyer is ruined. they had to mindwipe the flyers and give us all levels back. players should be able to reallocate the levels. the flyers are to slow. my wyverns are ruined as well. these dinos costed me alot of time. they should have speedcapped the dinos, but not completely. implement a level cap on speed!!!

41 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

Never played assassin's creed but i guess your "evil templar doctor" is a boss or sub-boss in which i agree there shouldn't be a lot of options.

In ark we are looking at the most basic things you can do, gather materials and visit/help friends. Taking away options from basic stuff like that destroys the open world play and makes it more a story game without a story... 

It has been a month of silence on the devs side and i'm sad that they haven't reached out and/or communicated with us on any decisions or possible upgrades. This has been promised by Jat himself. They wanted to get feedback he got it, time for them to full-fill their promise. 

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, Griffin1984 said:

Never played assassin's creed but i guess your "evil templar doctor" is a boss or sub-boss in which i agree there shouldn't be a lot of options.

In ark we are looking at the most basic things you can do, gather materials and visit/help friends. Taking away options from basic stuff like that destroys the open world play and makes it more a story game without a story... 

It has been a month of silence on the devs side and i'm sad that they haven't reached out and/or communicated with us on any decisions or possible upgrades. This has been promised by Jat himself. They wanted to get feedback he got it, time for them to full-fill their promise. 

He's not really a boss or sub boss. Just an assassination goal. The point I was trying to make was that the game does not allow for the harming of civilians, even if doing so could be used as a means to an end, simply because the game was not designed by the developers to allow for such.

As for the other things, like gathering materials or visiting/helping friends, in no way shape or form has this completely disbarred people from having the options to do so, it has just greatly altered the paradigm in which these options can be done. Gathering materials on a quetz may no longer be quite as fruitful due to the 1:1 weight conversion and the speed of said creature, but the changes to the mammoth, ankylo, doed, and beaver point to a shift in use for these (potentially even without having to lug them on the quetz).

2 minutes ago, TheMisfit said:

kind of off topic but has anyone else experienced problems with the chat bar with the latest update? quarter of my chat bar is gone and nothing seems to fix it :(

It's a known issue and will be fixed momentarily.

3 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

As for the other things, like gathering materials or visiting/helping friends, in no way shape or form has this completely disbarred people from having the options to do so, it has just greatly altered the paradigm in which these options can be done. Gathering materials on a quetz may no longer be quite as fruitful due to the 1:1 weight conversion and the speed of said creature, but the changes to the mammoth, ankylo, doed, and beaver point to a shift in use for these (potentially even without having to lug them on the quetz).

This may be true on the island but not on the center, yesterday someone's base got attacked by an alpha on tropical south, and i wanted to go over and help, but it took 10+ mins just to get there, land mounts are no option as you'll have to cross a lot of water. needless to say that his base and dino's where half gone before i even got there. 

Archived