If you were to start again, what 5 dino's would you tame?

Anarki

Ok, so if you had to start your game again and without the help of tribemates, what dino's would you tame?

To make this more interesting, you can only tame 5 dinosaur types.

Mine would be:

1. Direbear - Strong, versatile, can gather both berries and meat. Useful in caves

2. Ankylo - Flint, Rock, Metal and berries - what more could a survivor want

3. Ptera - Its still the most versatile flier in my opinion and can get to most areas on the map

4. Spino - Allows me to do most things in/around water and will be a match for most things that could cause me and my other dinos harm

This last has caused me the most issues as a beaver would be nice for wood, a Rex would be nice so I can go after everything I wanted, a Quetz for obvious reasons, a pure water dino for the harder loot drops or even a pack of Allosaurs.

5.  Sabrecat - just because I love running around and jumping on these things - and if I tamed about 5 I could just let them wander around my pen and protect everything.

27 minutes ago, Snapshot said:

Raptor because I love em.

Spino for mobility and great tank. 

Quetzal for all around use fullness

Giga cause its a giga

Trike cause its a good starter.

Finally, a Argy their great for most things.

Thats 6 :P

And am i allowed to rotate some of my starting tames out or will i play with 5 species over the entire game?

The 5 species would be trike, anky, quetz, rex and dunkleo.

What would be ur first 5 tames after a server start?

2 hours ago, Ballmann said:

Thats 6 :P

And am i allowed to rotate some of my starting tames out or will i play with 5 species over the entire game?

The 5 species would be trike, anky, quetz, rex and dunkleo.

What would be ur first 5 tames after a server start?

dunkleo?? I have one he moves slow has poop stamina but he can wreck plesiosauruses...

Bronto -weight/berries/safari bus/platform saddle /mobile home-base(loves sauropds) :3

Argent -personal favorite/tanky/looks super cool/ decent prime meat picker/weight/stam

Thylocoleo -BA cat/marsupial wall climber, great attacker/infiltrator/(I'm a cat person) great meat harvestor/pet

TRex (cause I have yet to tame a Giga) meat harvestor/great attack/sweet roar animation/easily makes mashed pododos and anything around that size

The last is a toss up for Sarco(bumped speed makes it a endless jetski) the archaeo(endless glider) or Baryonyx(the water raptor).  

I guess I will go with Sarco, it's nice to get from the bottom of the island all the way to the top with a swimmer that uses no stam while in swimming. :3 plus decent weight/fish. 

1- Turkeydorkasaurus. Almost all your harvesting needs
2- Ankylo. The harvesting that the Turkey doesn't quite get
3- Tuso. The Basilo is very tempting, but it's inability to handle deep water makes it less appealing to me personally. Dunkafish is another potential one for this slot
4- Thyla. Not as strong as a Rex, sure, but much more mobile and it still holds its own pretty well
5- Paracer. Other contenders include Dire Bear, Woolly Rhino, and Diplodocus, but basically something that I can put on Follow and have follow me while it hauls resources

Ok: if you only have 5 dinos these are your best 5:

Thrizzo/theri: Very strong farmer and very strong mount. Mine is currently on 12k hp and 400 melee. With 200+ damage per swing and more health than a rex, its an extraordinarily powerful and versatile dino. Admittedly, it was a 230 base so its the top end of the spectrum, but still very powerful. Can fill all your wood and berry needs.

Doed: stone farming.

Anky: metal.

Giga: ... do i need to explain?

Quetz: again, duh,

All these dinos can be moved on the quetz, and you can farm everything in the game. While a smaller, agile mount would help, when limited to 5 these are your best options. If I could add two, it would be thylo and ptera.

Id go for these 5 if i could only tame 5

Quetzal, obviously

Basil, self explanatory for water travel, seems to be the only really safe one.

theri, for gathering and fighting

anky, for metal

frog, because i just really like the frog :D its such a fun animal to use and its really strong in the swamp cave and can jump over large bases easily

1 - Dodo - because

2 - Dodo - because

3 - Dodo - because

4 - Dodo - because

5 - Dodo - because

Every time I start a new server that's my routine, my tribe runs around finding a place to build before everybody takes the best spots and eventually I rock up with an army of Dodo's behind me.  I can't help it I just have an unhealthy fixation with Dodo's.

Spino - favorite Ark animal, main combat and travel mount. Can do some underwater stuff as long as there are no eels, too.

Quetz - still the king of transportation.

Theri - one for power harvesting, one for delicate harvesting, and eliminate the need for most other gatherers.

Ankylo - metal of course, and it does gather a respectable amount of stone in the process.

Basilo - for all underwater needs that the spino can't handle.

I did have a doed in the last slot, but if I'm this limited in animals it occurs to me I'm probably not going to be building a very large base and will be focusing on quality over quantity in general. So the anky should gather enough stone for whatever needs I have, freeing up a space for the basilo. If I really wanted to be 100% efficient I would swap the spino for baryonyx for access to all caves except snow yetis.

A flying mount is also absolutely not required in this scenario depending on where I set up, which would likely be near resources if at all possible. I could swap the quetz for something else in that case. I'm actually leaning toward an achatina--it's not as silly as it sounds. If I have an anky and no doed, it would be easier for me to build a metal base than a stone one, and that of course requires a large amount of paste. With no frog or dedicated stone gatherer, I would be relying on raiding beaver dams as my primary source. Or I could maintain a small snail farm for passive paste generation.

Its really interesting to see which dino's we all rely on so heavily and which we find our 'must haves'. 

I really struggled with my last 2 choices and the aim of my post was to put everyones mind back to starting over again and to see what they were thinking about i.e.:

Caving

Building a big base

Simple survival

My first dino to atcually tame would be my flier, it just gives me access to other areas and resources and they are easier to protect by just putting them in cliff somewhere :)

Archived