So, I was PvE wiped...

skeeta

....and yeah, it sucks big ones.

I don't play this game to fight. That's exactly why I chose PvE in the first place. My enjoyment comes from taming, breeding and building bases that are aesthetically pleasing rather than fortified monstrosities. I'm proud of the way my base was developing and received may compliments on it's design. 
It isn't large by Ark standards but that was fine by me. I had about 30 tames in the paddock, 2-3 of one species at most and I had no aspirations to become any kind of alpha. I never said a cross word in chat. The closest thing to an argument I ever had was when the biggest tribe refused to move a few pillars on a mountain to let me place a community smelting facility but even that was done politely (from my end at least) and I even warned them about the upcoming eruption patch before I left.

So, I log off last night for about two hours safe in the knowledge that everything will be as I left it when I return. But it wasn't. Half of that main building that had taken me weeks to build was completely gone. All my tames, save for two birds and a scorpion, were dead and all my crafting facilities were likewise destroyed.
The tribe log told me it was all done by a Giga and that confused me. I've never seen a Giga anywhere near my base. They spawn miles away. Then chat explained it all to me. The big tribe, La Horde, was kiting it around the map wiping any bases they could find. No reasons why, just for the "fun" of it and they were enjoying it immensely. 
I asked why and they just laughed. Apparently a large base had been abandoned on the island and the dino's in there were about to become claimable too. They were issuing warnings that anyone who claimed one of them would be wiped again.

Last night was horrible. Before I went to bed I tamed up a low level Rex just to provide a bit of protection for the little I had left and logged off. I don't expect this in PvE. If I wanted to worry about my base I would play PvP. Yes, some of you guys like the raid mentality and I respect that, each to their own. But why come to a PvE server if that's the kind of game you want to play? Afraid you can't cut it when the opposition can actually fight back?
I know I should start rebuilding but I can't just yet. My internal compass is swinging closer to quitting than starting again at the moment so I need to take time to think about it but even if I do get back on the horse I know it's got to be a different game now. Gone are the days of keeping my tames on passive apart from the two Carnos on Argent patrol. Now every dangerous creature will have to be on neutral and the paddock will be a mess every day. Or I need to keep them indoors and, for that, a stupid big building is needed.

A couple of questions guys.

1. Can a Giga walk over a dino gate? My perimeter fence is made of them but none of them were broken.
2. Is it worth putting a ticket in or is this still seen as valid tactics by the devs? If so, how? I followed the ticket link above but non of the choices came close to what I wanted to ask about.
3. How hard is it to tame a damned Doed? I found a lvl 140 last night while I was waiting for my Rex to tame. I waited till it had come out of its shell each time and put over 100 tranq arrows into its face and it still didn't go down. Gave up in the end.
4. Anyone playing Prim+ PvE on xbox got any utility dinos going spare? lol.

Sorry about the rant guys but this has really annoyed me. A lot of work has been ruined because of immature kids and I had to vent somewhere. The Mrs don't get it lol.

Really sorry to hear about being wiped. I have a bad tribe on my server that enjoys kiting as well and my tribe mate and I are like you. We build beautiful bases but from what I have heard 4 high walls can keep a giga out and we built our fence far enough out that a giga can't aggro our tames.

I don't think the devs consider kiting as a punishable offence anymore and as for the doed they have been really glitchy in the sense that they appear to come out of their ball but don't move. They are actually still in ball formation but show the normal animation, we have the same issue with 2 145 doed's. What we found that worked is shoot until they ball up and then wait for them to uncurl and start moving again before you continue shooting them and then they go down no problem. Good luck on future builds 

also if your fence is built on a downhill slope you will need to build it higher. 

first of all i feel sorry for your loss.

was your base well defended? was there a wall set up around everything and were there no rocks or ledges that could be used to get a giga in? what materials was your base made out of? were your dinos in a safe and closed pen? all these things are extremely important in PVE

1. Can a Giga walk over a dino gate? My perimeter fence is made of them but none of them were broken. normally no, but it can be lead up a rock and over a 4 high gate pretty easily, they can even be led on a quetz and dropped in your base if they have the 'skill'
2. Is it worth putting a ticket in or is this still seen as valid tactics by the devs? If so, how? I followed the ticket link above but non of the choices came close to what I wanted to ask about. no its not, in the end its a wild giga that did that to you and thats part of the environment. i agree with them on this, if your base is somehow destroyable by a wild giga then its not well built.
3. How hard is it to tame a damned Doed? I found a lvl 140 last night while I was waiting for my Rex to tame. I waited till it had come out of its shell each time and put over 100 tranq arrows into its face and it still didn't go down. Gave up in the end. make sure it wasnt damaged before you try taming it, especially with arrows. lead it into a stone taming pen and let it heal up, preferably use darts because the margin you get with arrows for it to go down before it curls up is rather slim.
4. Anyone playing Prim+ PvE on xbox got any utility dinos going spare? lol. not me sorry

in the end it comes down to how safe your base was. you should always keep in mind that there are players that want to be d*cks and there is nothing you can do to change their behaviour, so all you can do is protect yourself. 

things to do are:

-multiple layers of perimeter walls, the last wall being preferably behemoth gates. (if you can afford metal use stone)

-never keep tames outside, keep them in a fully enclosed taming pen made out of atleast stone, a wild giga wont aggro onto your dinos/buildings if he doesnt see them.

-dont build bases bigger then you can maintain them. a 50x20 base is useless when its made out of wood. or a base made out of stone but with a thatch roof for 'aestethics' is useless if they drop something on it that destroys it in a couple hits

Man, I feel sorry for you. I was in a tribe on the island that this happened to. We lost over 100 dinos, plus all our kibble, blue prints, and more materials than I care to remember. My tribe mate and I spent about a week just logging on and wandering around looking at what used to be there...

We eventually moved to the centre and started over. Although we've been ok so far, there are those on the server that seem to take joy in the misery of others. Guess it's human nature and the reason I'd love rentable servers to come to Xbox.

8 minutes ago, SAMPS0N7 said:

Really sorry to hear about being wiped......etc

6 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

first of all i feel sorry for your loss.....etc

Cheers guys. Just logged on now and it's rather a depressing sight :(

The base defenses are perfectly fine to keep out wild dinos. I have just done a perimeter sweep and yes, there is a spot that could maybe allow a Giga to walk over the walls so I guess that was the weak spot. The point is though I shouldn't have to even think about defending against the human mind in PvE and I think the devs attitude to it is wrong (sorry Bob). They should be pleased that there are multiple ways to play their game. It could potentially double their player base and why wouldn't they want to see servers full of nice looking bases created by people who've put hours of thought into the design? Some of the building vids on Youtube are awesome and get a lot of subscribers. I can spend hours watching and learning new tricks on there.
Being a Prim+ server I don't get the option of metal I'm afraid. Not that I'd particularly want to use it though. It's one ugly building material. 
I don't want to keep my tames inside but it's looking like I have to. I'll maybe go for a total behemoth gate outer wall instead. Need to ponder it a little.

The Doed is still here too. Just meandering around the paddock like he owns the place. Prim+ precludes the use of darts as we don't get them so it has to be arrows. I thought I knew how to tame one. Everytime he balled up I'd wait till he started moving again and I only hit him with head shots (I really need a new Doed now). Dododex says it should take 48 arrows from the crossbow but, as I said, I put over 100 into him. I'll try again in a moment.

53 minutes ago, skeeta said:

1. Can a Giga walk over a dino gate? My perimeter fence is made of them but none of them were broken.
2. Is it worth putting a ticket in or is this still seen as valid tactics by the devs? If so, how? I followed the ticket link above but non of the choices came close to what I wanted to ask about.

1. normally No, but there is still ways to get em in if you know how, and thats a big problem imho, cause depending on the dedication of the griefing tribe this could happen to any pve player, still, im not gonna go into how, but in my opinion those "ways" are fixable if one wants to.

2. no tickets for anything besides stuff like "turrets under map" or "lost char, need xp on replacement char" are mainly for your own satisfaction, if you have screenshots/video you might have a chance, on issues like hatespeech or massive griefing "in progress" but otherwise, there is just not enough time and admins to realistically respond to all "griefing" tickets :/ 

4 minutes ago, skeeta said:

Everytime he balled up I'd wait till he started moving again and I only hit him with head shots (I really need a new Doed now). Dododex says it should take 48 arrows from the crossbow but, as I said, I put over 100 into him. I'll try again in a moment.

By moving, you need to be sure it's walking around, not just swinging it's tail. If you want it to uncurl faster, fly out of rendering distance, come back. The last doedi i tamed was beaten up and i just flew away, came back (sometimes double as it wasn't walking yet) and shot it, then repeat. 

Good luck with rebuilding. :)

3 minutes ago, skeeta said:

Cheers guys. Just logged on now and it's rather a depressing sight :(

The base defenses are perfectly fine to keep out wild dinos. I have just done a perimeter sweep and yes, there is a spot that could maybe allow a Giga to walk over the walls so I guess that was the weak spot. The point is though I shouldn't have to even think about defending against the human mind in PvE and I think the devs attitude to it is wrong (sorry Bob). They should be pleased that there are multiple ways to play their game. It could potentially double their player base and why wouldn't they want to see servers full of nice looking bases created by people who've put hours of thought into the design? Some of the building vids on Youtube are awesome and get a lot of subscribers. I can spend hours watching and learning new tricks on there.
Being a Prim+ server I don't get the option of metal I'm afraid. Not that I'd particularly want to use it though. It's one ugly building material. 
I don't want to keep my tames inside but it's looking like I have to. I'll maybe go for a total behemoth gate outer wall instead. Need to ponder it a little.

The Doed is still here too. Just meandering around the paddock like he owns the place. Prim+ precludes the use of darts as we don't get them so it has to be arrows. I thought I knew how to tame one. Everytime he balled up I'd wait till he started moving again and I only hit him with head shots (I really need a new Doed now). Dododex says it should take 48 arrows from the crossbow but, as I said, I put over 100 into him. I'll try again in a moment.

yeah i know you shouldnt have to worry about players, i agree on that part but in the end its the wild giga that did the job, wether a player was guiding it isnt really relevant. imagine it like this, i am new on your server, a giga is chasing me and i run from it, i run in the direction of your base without knowing its there, when i pass it the giga sees one of your tames outside or unfortunately walks up a rock and hops over into your base killing whatever is outside. should i get banned for this?

a player can guide a giga, you just have to make sure that in no way a giga is able to kill anything inside your base. you should always assume the worst. even a giga spawing inside your perimeter should be considered when you start building. this way you are never met by a surprise. or alteast drastically decrease the chances of your base being destroyed.

as for the doedi, if arrows are the only option, just wait until its fully healed, check with a magnifying glass, it will curl up when its around 1/3th health so keep that in mind and stop shooting it when it gets close to that mark. a doedi will regain health faster then it loses torpor so in the end you should be able to down it :)

Sorry to hear the news. This is is the issue with online gaming; there are always those that love to grief - even in a PvE environment.

I play on a PvE server and have built a cliff base and have returned a few times to find a random dodo died or once I lost a low level Carno where other players were knocking dinos off the rock from above onto my little landing platform - on this occasion they sent a Therizino in and it killed my Carno but everything else jumped on it and killed it.

I put pillars up above to stop them from spawning and that didnt help so I just put up a wall now and they can only get knocked off behind that and my turret deals with them.

I would find a good server with a friendly base of players - ours seems fair and I havent seen any arguments in global chat which gives me some confidence.

Now, my Tribemaster and I have designed the base specifically so dinos cant get into our buildings where we house some of our prized assets - unless the dinos are like those in Jurassic Park where Raptors learn to open doors ;)

1 hour ago, skeeta said:

A couple of questions guys.

3. How hard is it to tame a damned Doed? I found a lvl 140 last night while I was waiting for my Rex to tame. I waited till it had come out of its shell each time and put over 100 tranq arrows into its face and it still didn't go down. Gave up in the end.
4. Anyone playing Prim+ PvE on xbox got any utility dinos going spare? lol.

1. You wouldn't think, but it depends on the terrain. The top will hit at about shoulder height for them and they can reach over for dino snacks. Once aggro'd will chunk through stone to get at your dinos.

2. Dino kiting is not report-able, griefing is. Put together hard evidence of continual griefing by this tribe and submit it.

3. Space out your shots. Give it 10 beats before firing the next arrow and let the torpor build up. They are not particularly fast and can kited back and forth. They roll up when the damaged becomes too fast and heavy.

4. Nope.

1 hour ago, skeeta said:

I ran into this exact same problem once when I picked up a Doed and dropped him off in the perimeter of my base. I was using darts. I probably put close to 100 darts in it and it did not go down. I then picked it up and dropped outside the perimeter of my base and found another and did the same with the same result. In the mean time my tribe mate that was with me went and found the first one I was trying to tame and was able to knock it out. I am not sure what the problem was but when it was in the perimeter of my base I could not knock the Doed out.

Archived