17 hours ago, SingleSidedPCB said:

for thatch and wood, you can get the blueprints from supply drops and offload a lot of crafting to the beaver. for metal, that's smithy crafted so if you learn the engrams again can craft it in the beaver. the only glaring gap is stone, because they never bothered to add stone blueprints :/

Yeah sure, but you still need to actually harvest the resources which was what I was talking about. You can't skip that part and just acquire ready-made walls etc, even from drops. The "building" part (even if it is just pressing a button and waiting a few seconds!) is something all these games have in common, makes you feel like you're doing something.

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 11:51 AM, LilNastyGurl said:

I see this argument a lot. Flying is a Timesink. Breeding is a Timesink. Crops are a Timesink. Collecting Thatch is a Timesick. Filling Troughs is a Timesink. Harvesting Metal is a Timesink. Levelling Dinos is a Timesink.

I'm sure some of these are just "I am not entertained by these activities" rather than actual timesinks, but really, it's a question I really want to know the answer to.

Isn't ALL of the Gameplay in ARK: Survival Evolved a timesink?

Like, if you cut out ALL of the timesinks in ARK, what would you replace them with? What would be left?

What are the timesinks?

On the money here.

Ultimately people need to get over the fact that metal is now harder to gather than thatch, as it should be.

2 hours ago, Quetzal said:

Yeah sure, but you still need to actually harvest the resources which was what I was talking about. You can't skip that part and just acquire ready-made walls etc, even from drops. The "building" part (even if it is just pressing a button and waiting a few seconds!) is something all these games have in common, makes you feel like you're doing something.

i probably should have directed my reply more to woodsman, i was agreeing with you that crafting structures isn't that bad..and for wood/thatch you can offload the crafting to a beaver. though typically you have to craft 25%-50% more than what you need due to the terrible build mechanics, and that IS a time sink :)

week long raising , hours to tame , resources taking days to accumulate  , building an awesome base for a month , lose it in 5 minutes then doing it all again if u get raided or griefed, its just to damn much the 1.5x events are awesome but even 1.5x is not enough, i reckon atleast 2x resource tame and breeding  of what is currently normal on official servers is what it would take for me to actually enjoy the game instead of feeling like its a 3rd job in my life :Jerbmad: i do love this game but man.... sometimes i just really really want to quit the only thing stopping me is all the effort would be wasted.

On 22.4.2017 at 3:51 AM, LilNastyGurl said:

I see this argument a lot. Flying is a Timesink. Breeding is a Timesink. Crops are a Timesink. Collecting Thatch is a Timesick. Filling Troughs is a Timesink. Harvesting Metal is a Timesink. Levelling Dinos is a Timesink.

I'm sure some of these are just "I am not entertained by these activities" rather than actual timesinks, but really, it's a question I really want to know the answer to.

Isn't ALL of the Gameplay in ARK: Survival Evolved a timesink?

Like, if you cut out ALL of the timesinks in ARK, what would you replace them with? What would be left?

What are the timesinks?

in my view those who say something isnt too be done becus they feel like thats waste of time. well thats becus their standard raises when they archive something. remember after u done that taming of a quetzal and you done all that and you now sit with a metal base.. people tend too get very snobby  often not responding, only breeding highest of the highest and everything else is trash and not worth commenting on etc.. its like poeple feel entitled too become very royal and look apon others like trash.. in their own deluded way.

16 minutes ago, wallaby said:

week long raising , hours to tame , resources taking days to accumulate  , building an awesome base for a month , lose it in 5 minutes then doing it all again if u get raided or griefed, its just to damn much the 1.5x events are awesome but even 1.5x is not enough, i reckon atleast 2x resource tame and breeding  of what is currently normal on official servers is what it would take for me to actually enjoy the game instead of feeling like its a 3rd job in my life :Jerbmad: i do love this game but man.... sometimes i just really really want to quit the only thing stopping me is all the effort would be wasted.

yeah and you didnt even forsee this :P talk about using the brain and realizing it first time you get raided. i rather just go on a 10 x un off server and enjoy testing things there becus noway in hell am spending 5 hours too build a 5x5 stone base just too wake up and been dead, like how  do they find me? noone was seeing me nor spoke too me but every night they wipe me.. intresting its like they have decoy on me orsomething.   * proceed too fight off paranoia*

1 hour ago, wallaby said:

Wallaby, that's been my greatest criticism of ARK nerfs, cross-server transfers, tek gear, more advanced weapons.   You're either grinding INSANELY to build up defenses from impulsive people, like some in my tribe, or you're joining massive tribes to get element and Tek Gear.   ...eventually to go to war.

I've seen bored people, with the best weapons, just find someone like lady Crescent and slaughter EVERY SINGLE dino and laugh about it.  ...especially, if she openly complains.    

If you're small and only have some defenses, ...well then, you're a great target.   It doesn't matter how pretty your house is, how many months you spent building it.   ...it's just GONE and the people doing it are probably laughing at you.

Prior to the nerf, did anyone try to hatch and raise a perfectly imprinted high-level Giga?     It took 12 DAYS!    Do you understand that?   DAYS!   We had people who didn't sleep for 48 and then lose that beloved dino is matter of minutes, during a raid.

This game has become like an emotionally abusive relationship.    Newbies are SCREWED at the whim of a dominant player and alpha's can not longer risk being nice to players.    

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm growing sick of it and am honestly even more tired.

17 hours ago, Lockjaw said:

I agree with not rushing the good parts of the game, but I thought that that's the definition of a time sink?

no, thats just gameplay in my opinion. everything can be a timesink if you dont like doing it. i played mmorpg where you did nothing but run from mob to mob killing it for exp. i didnt find that a timesink either. if you dont like the core mechanics and fundamentals of ARK like grinding and travelling then you bought the wrong game

1 hour ago, EmperorFabulous said:

Wallaby, that's been my greatest criticism of ARK nerfs, cross-server transfers, tek gear, more advanced weapons.   You're either grinding INSANELY to build up defenses from impulsive people, like some in my tribe, or you're joining massive tribes to get element and Tek Gear.   ...eventually to go to war.

I've seen bored people, with the best weapons, just find someone like lady Crescent and slaughter EVERY SINGLE dino and laugh about it.  ...especially, if she openly complains.    

If you're small and only have some defenses, ...well then, you're a great target.   It doesn't matter how pretty your house is, how many months you spent building it.   ...it's just GONE and the people doing it are probably laughing at you.

Prior to the nerf, did anyone try to hatch and raise a perfectly imprinted high-level Giga?     It took 12 DAYS!    Do you understand that?   DAYS!   We had people who didn't sleep for 48 and then lose that beloved dino is matter of minutes, during a raid.

This game has become like an emotionally abusive relationship.    Newbies are SCREWED at the whim of a dominant player and alpha's can not longer risk being nice to players.    

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm growing sick of it and am honestly even more tired.

You raise some good points.  How they're related to nerfs though I'm not sure.  The alpha tribe will always pwn people who aren't, whether your quetzals can gather 1000 or 1000000 metal at a time and regardless of how fast your birds are.

The permanent nature of Arks I think is a failed experiment outside of PvE.  All the servers should be extinction except with 3-6 month timers, rather than 1.  That would allow people to build fight and then when you get wiped you know you can jump back on next cycle and start again.  REND is looking interesting in this regard.  I think they're putting a lot of things in place to become the next model of survival games:  i.e. No offline raiding and games with expiration dates.

A soloplayer can farm the metal for 1k metal walls in less then 10 ingame hours without event rates, stone and wood structures can be farmed even faster. All u need is a decent quetz and decent farm animals, not breeded or imprinted just highlvl tames. For PvP where ur structures can be destroyed anytime this might be a good rate for PvE its ridiculous.

On 23/04/2017 at 8:30 AM, Ballmann said:

A soloplayer can farm the metal for 1k metal walls in less then 10 ingame hours without event rates, stone and wood structures can be farmed even faster. All u need is a decent quetz and decent farm animals, not breeded or imprinted just highlvl tames. For PvP where ur structures can be destroyed anytime this might be a good rate for PvE its ridiculous.

So, for you it's okay grinding 10 hours for something that can be destroyed in 10 minutes. 

• 2 weeks later...

The way to eliminate any kind of grind aspect from the game is to simply have fun. Each time you log on just do what you fancy doing that day. 

I don't find resource harvesting to be tedious at all because I only ever do it when I want to. I'll admit to doing a little metal harvesting every day just to build up a stockpile but even then, I can choose to do it at any time. 

This can only work though if you don't see the game as a race to the top. I'm level 80 something (the fact that I don't know my level exactly should tell you how unimportant it is to me) and I can't remember when my last level up was. I'm enjoying the journey and am therefore taking it at the pace I'm comfortable with rather than grinding grinding grinding to max out ASAP. Doing that would definitely start eating into my fun. 

I have an idea for a perimeter wall design at the moment so next time I log on I'll probably feel like a bit of hot Doed action followed by a bit of experimentation (my favourite part) but if I find I fancy heading out and murdering everything on the island instead then so be it. The wall can wait, my idea ain't going anywhere, it'll still be in my head tomorrow. 

How fast you achieve your goals is irrelevant. It's how much you enjoyed it that matters.

Archived