EchoingTime

Breeding/Imprinting ideas

EchoingTime    198
Posted (edited)

These five ideas may help breeding/imprinting:

• Baby dino feeding from it's mother in the early stages before it's able to eat from trough. -If the mother is still alive, it will be able to feed the baby dino til it's ready to move onto trough feeding. The mother will get food from trough and feed the baby on it's own. every food is +1 at baby stage. If the mother gets one meat it will be two for the baby. (wouldn't show it though.) Also the mother if it's caring for the baby will make the time the baby grows down by a certain amount. (for a pteranodon it takes 3 hours and 40 minutes to be able to feed from trough, or around that time. with a mother it will be 1 hour and 20 minutes less) If you don't have the baby's mother or it isn't around at the time then you will have to do it the normal way. (bad for trading eggs to another player) 
  • Imprinting should stack up. If you have to leave for a job, school, event, or sleep it becomes a problem. If you have a bird that is very important to keep the breeding going and you can't imprint the dino because it takes 3 hours and 40 minutes every time.. You shouldn't just lose the quest. Every 3 hours and 40 minutes if you don't do the imprinting then it will stack up. A pteranodon takes around 12 hours to fully grow up. at the last 30 minutes you should be able to do all the imprinting quests that you missed or couldn't do. At least this would be healthy.. Waking up every 3-4 hours to imprint is pretty bad haha, or just staying on all day for 12 hours straight. I don't know about other people but staying on that long on a xbox can make it heat up. Or going off and coming back on every 3-4 hours is just annoying and it limits what you can do that day. Life can't be controlled by ark imprinting (example dino is pteranodon for both. each dino will be different)
  • Baby feeding trough. A baby feeding trough is only allowed to be used by a baby that reached it's trough feeding point. The trough's time for spoiling will be 1.5 longer and each 1 meat will be 2 meat for the growing dino. (the meat will not double magically for someone to take it out for themselves. Just for the baby) 
  • Being able to give baby to a tribe member. If you happened to show up at the wrong time where no other tribe members were around and the baby hatched.. Well you would need to claim it. You should be able to give a tribe member your personal baby dino (the caring job) to another member. It will then say raised by the new member. If one member has to get off and sleep then they should give the job to someone else. (if the he/she doesn't come back then the new member keeps the baby dino as theirs) Waking up every amount of time isn't good. Ark seems to be alright with it.
  • Making baby dinos grow up at least 1.5 faster forever. 12 hours is just to long for this dino. Longer for others.. 

I used the pteranodon due to it being the recent dino I tried to raise/imprint. Sadly it was 12:40am and I couldn't stay up any longer. (My tribe mates had to feed it but they couldn't imprint it.. Probably won't be used for breeding now and that is because I wasn't able to wake up every 3-4 hours throughout the night to go onto ark) I tried to pick up the egg and hatch it in the morning but other people(in my house) might want to use my device throughout the day too.(If I made it in time to pick up the egg) I get most time but it wouldn't be fair to get all the time :) +I have other lifely things to do. Babysitting is annoying. Breeding is a little exciting to see if you'll get a mutation but really.. 12 hours for a bird or 3 days for a giga? One day the dino will die in a fight too. It will make it seem like a waste of life time. 

Thoughts/Suggestions? Some may say just don't breed then but other players on pvp official will have better dinos then my tribe. 400 damage 150 perfect pteranodon tame against a raised 600 damage dino.. Breeding is needed haha.

Edited by EchoingTime

Darinth    431

Please forgive me if not all of this applies, at this point the breeding changes are so common and many of the suggestions to fix it as so misguided that I've just simply got a standard, pre-typed response to these topics.

A: Tweaks need to be made so that every dino only needs to be checked on once a day. Either food consumption rates need dropped, spoil times need increased, or something along those lines. Growing dinos should have no issue making it 24 hours on the contents of a trough. I'm, personally, fine with more drastic changes as well, such as a massive-shortening of the maturation timer, but if this is done steps need to be taken to make sure babies can't be quickly cycled back into the breeding pool. Probably would be useful to put freshly matured babies on a cooldown before they can be bred.

B: Babies need to be allowed to feed out of troughs immediately. An alternative solution would be to maybe require their mother to feed them, but really the simplest and most effective method of eliminating the stupid babysitting/watching paint dry that is having babies is to just let the little bastards eat out of a trough.

C: I can't find a good reason for the extensive egg hatch timers or gestation timers. Yes it's realistic, but I ride on a t-rex and have giant bred wolves that do my bidding like a mafia family. I don't think that anybody is gonna think twice about eggs that hatch and mammals that go through gestation in 5 minutes.

D: Do not shorten the breeding cooldown, in fact it may need to be lengthened with some of these changes. The breeding cooldown is a hard limiter on how quickly you can pump out creatures.

E: The entire imprinting system needs to be taken out back and shot repeatedly until it stops moving, and have it's head removed to make sure it doesn't somehow magically reanimate. Only then it can be rebuilt from the ground up. Several topics have covered ideas for fixing the imprinting system, I of course prefer my own topic on the subject.

Most of your post aligns reasonably with what I think needs done, I honestly and simply believe it's not extensive enough. You want to find work arounds to make the current system functional, I just simply think the current systems need far more extensive overhauls.

Ballmann    44
24 minutes ago, EchoingTime said:
  • Baby dino feeding from it's mother in the early stages before it's able to eat from trough. -If the mother is still alive, it will be able to feed the baby dino til it's ready to move onto trough feeding. The mother will get food from trough and feed the baby on it's own. every food is +1 at baby stage. If the mother gets one meat it will be two for the baby. (wouldn't show it though.) Also the mother if it's caring for the baby will make the time the baby grows down by a certain amount. (for a pteranodon it takes 3 hours and 40 minutes to be able to feed from trough, or around that time. with a mother it will be 1 hour and 20 minutes less) If you don't have the baby's mother or it isn't around at the time then you will have to do it the normal way. (bad for trading eggs to another player) 
  • Imprinting should stack up. If you have to leave for a job, school, event, or sleep it becomes a problem. If you have a bird that is very important to keep the breeding going and you can't imprint the dino because it takes 3 hours and 40 minutes every time.. You shouldn't just lose the quest. Every 3 hours and 40 minutes if you don't do the imprinting then it will stack up. A pteranodon takes around 12 hours to fully grow up. at the last 30 minutes you should be able to do all the imprinting quests that you missed or couldn't do. At least this would be healthy.. Waking up every 3-4 hours to imprint is pretty bad haha, or just staying on all day for 12 hours straight. I don't know about other people but staying on that long on a xbox can make it heat up. Or going off and coming back on every 3-4 hours is just annoying and it limits what you can do that day. Life can't be controlled by ark imprinting (example dino is pteranodon for both. each dino will be different)
  • Baby feeding trough. A baby feeding trough is only allowed to be used by a baby that reached it's trough feeding point. The trough's time for spoiling will be 1.5 longer and each 1 meat will be 2 meat for the growing dino. (the meat will not double magically for someone to take it out for themselves. Just for the baby) 
  • Being able to give baby to a tribe member. If you happened to show up at the wrong time where no other tribe members were around and the baby hatched.. Well you would need to claim it. You should be able to give a tribe member your personal baby dino (the caring job) to another member. It will then say raised by the new member. If one member has to get off and sleep then they should give the job to someone else. (if the he/she doesn't come back then the new member keeps the baby dino as theirs) Waking up every amount of time isn't good. Ark seems to be alright with it.
  • Making baby dinos grow up at least 1.5 faster forever. 12 hours is just to long for this dino. Longer for others.. 

1. I like the idea of involving the parents into the process but i disagree with shortening the baby phase or make it easier. Its the only phase that requires a players attention afterwards u need to refill the troughs every 12 hours and it doesnt matter who refills it. Easier babys phase just leads to more breeded babys, more babys at once and overall more dinos.

2. Reaching the 100% imprint is a pain and i agree some people are not able to do it. That should be addressed but imprinting is extremely powerful so it should not be easy to achieve 100%.

3. I'm a little unsure if u mean one trough per baby, this might be an idea to prevent 10+ babys at once although placing 10+ troughs is not really a task for anyone. The spoil timers are fine for me its around 13 hours for meat and even longer for berrys. And the amount of required food is easy to obtain aswell a greenhouse for veggies and decent carnivore for the meat will refill multiple troughs in less then 20 minutes effort and there still is the ability to store large quantaties in fridges.

4. Passing the imprint to a tribe member sounds reasonable, maybe make imprinting a tribe task. Feeding can already be done by every tribemember.

5. A breeding gives access to the most powerful animals in the game i think the maturation time is quite nice. Sure giga, quetz etc take forever but these are the high-end animals and the giga is currently not involved in boss content. Both are useful without breeding so breeding them is optional and should only be done by the most advanced and largest tribes. For everything else baby phase and imprinting is the only thing that requires some sort of work and achieving a perfect breeding line should take its time. (Actually breeding is one of the few mechanics not benefiting from 24/7 online time as u can spend ur time offline after baby phase.)

Also i would introduce a mechanic that prevents the breeding of multiple babys at once (not 2 or 3 but more then 10) but im unsure how to achieve this without making the entire process more time consuming and prevent breeding for parts of the playerbase so just leave the food stuff as it is and find a way to make imprinting more comfortable.

EchoingTime    198
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Ballmann said:

1. I like the idea of involving the parents into the process but i disagree with shortening the baby phase or make it easier. Its the only phase that requires a players attention afterwards u need to refill the troughs every 12 hours and it doesnt matter who refills it. Easier babys phase just leads to more breeded babys, more babys at once and overall more dinos.

2. Reaching the 100% imprint is a pain and i agree some people are not able to do it. That should be addressed but imprinting is extremely powerful so it should not be easy to achieve 100%.

3. I'm a little unsure if u mean one trough per baby, this might be an idea to prevent 10+ babys at once although placing 10+ troughs is not really a task for anyone. The spoil timers are fine for me its around 13 hours for meat and even longer for berrys. And the amount of required food is easy to obtain aswell a greenhouse for veggies and decent carnivore for the meat will refill multiple troughs in less then 20 minutes effort and there still is the ability to store large quantaties in fridges.

4. Passing the imprint to a tribe member sounds reasonable, maybe make imprinting a tribe task. Feeding can already be done by every tribemember.

5. A breeding gives access to the most powerful animals in the game i think the maturation time is quite nice. Sure giga, quetz etc take forever but these are the high-end animals and the giga is currently not involved in boss content. Both are useful without breeding so breeding them is optional and should only be done by the most advanced and largest tribes. For everything else baby phase and imprinting is the only thing that requires some sort of work and achieving a perfect breeding line should take its time. (Actually breeding is one of the few mechanics not benefiting from 24/7 online time as u can spend ur time offline after baby phase.)

Also i would introduce a mechanic that prevents the breeding of multiple babys at once (not 2 or 3 but more then 10) but im unsure how to achieve this without making the entire process more time consuming and prevent breeding for parts of the playerbase so just leave the food stuff as it is and find a way to make imprinting more comfortable.

1. Well the time will only be shortened if the mother is there. If you remove the mother it will go back to a normal time.                                                  

2. Yes imprinting shouldn't be easy but if it stacks you still need to give kibble. Smaller tribes don't have every kibble available. Right now it seems to long and only one person can actually do the imprinting.                                                                                                                                                 

3. One trough for every dine baby in the area(acts like a trough) Spoiling timer is just extending a little, not to much.                                                     

5. I don't think the maturation time is to great, and you said it should only be done by the most advanced and largest tribes. In pvp this will probably make these tribes to op for lower tribes to overcome. Lowering the breeding time will help the players that aren't on 24/7

Edited by EchoingTime

Ballmann    44
1 minute ago, EchoingTime said:

1. Well the time will only be shortened if the mother is there. If you remove the mother it will go back to a normal time.                                                                                    

2. Yes imprinting shouldn't be easy but if it stacks you still need to give kibble. Smaller tribes don't have every kibble available. Right now it seems to long and only one person can actually do the imprinting.                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

3. One trough for every dine baby in the area(acts like a trough) Spoiling timer is just extending a little, not to much.                                                                                        

5. I don't think the maturation time is to great, and you said it should only be done by the most advanced and largest tribes. In pvp this will probably make these tribes to op for lower tribes to overcome. Lowering the breeding time will help the players that aren't on 24/7

I agree with the imprinting but the valentines event showed me what happens if maturation time and food consumption is decreased. People hatching 30-40 babys at once and even more in a week. Breeding should not become more valuable then taming if it comes to acquiring animals. I would go so far as breeding should become more difficult by introducing specific baby food for each baby so people cant kill every animal or harvest every crop they see to feed their babys but need to prepare/cook/gather the required baby food instead.

Leania    122
13 hours ago, Ballmann said:

1.) Yes I agree, using the mother should shorten the baby phase, but that only works if the player has the mother. This leaves those who've done trading, or those given an egg to hatch, a disadvantage. I've mentioned before about giving one of the current dinos that have no other function: no defensive capabilities, not good for weight, poor speed, no melee...basically the 'vanity' pets of Ark...giving them a purpose by making them nursery dinos. Those that will 'feed' the babies from the food in the troughs.

2.) It shouldn't be easy, but it shouldn't be impossible for those who have other things that prevent us from being able to log in but for a certain window of time. Also, there is this thing of single player tribes.They have allies to help with boss fights, and doing the caves...but breeding/raising/imprinting is all up to one person to do. I speak from experience here, just got done successfully raising 1 rex, egg to adult. 2 previous ones starved because I forgot to double check the trough before logging out...it was 6 am and I had been up and down all night, and needed real sleep. Add a job on that, and parent duties, well, things get a bit more limited. The refrigerator is my best friend, for storing eggs until I can start on a potential 2 day off in a row when it counts.

3.) The feeding trough for babies should be a bit different so that it can't be used by any other dinos, unless they do the nursing dino idea, in which case, only the nursing dino and the baby have access to the trough.

4.) This is good, feed can be done by an ally too, if you pin code your trough they can hunt for meat and berries and refill your trough. Did this for an ally, and I had one ally do it for me.

5.) Maturation times...If they keep the times, then the spoilage times need to be lengthened or something. No, I don't think all dinos should have the same times, bigger dinos take longer, but right now you have...what...5 day maturation times for the bigger dinos? For those with permanent working schedules, they can plan it to have the time sensitive points happen during days off or whatever, but those of us with a changing schedule have to wait until our scheduled work times are right. Also, I don't like how you are insinuating only the large tribes should be able to breed and raise those larger dinos (quetz, rex, giga, so on). Why make the smaller tribes be penalized because they don't have 3+ players.

Honestly, if someone wants to breed a lot of dinos and worry about them, then why not? I'm sure in PvP they have raids to worry about and have more dinos being killed to even out the ones being raised? I play PvE...one tribe does mass breeding and hatching. He showed me a screen shot, he had 18 rexes hatch at one time. Sure, might be a lot, but every one of those were bred, hatched, and raised with the intent of doing a boss fight, knowing quite a few would end up dying. Now with the dino tame cap per tribe, massive breeding is on the tribe's head it self. If you're at 480 dinos and want to mass breed 20 dinos, well have fun, and hope you don't get twins or trips.

Roderick    3

Imprinting needs a huge revamp to be honest, This feature is unhealthy for players because it encourages you to wake up every 3 hours and if you're trying to sleep for work this is not a good idea. I personally have no idea what goes through the minds of WC devs but this feature is just stupid, getting a giga or quetzal to 100% is way too tedious and encourages an unhealthy lifestyle.

DarthaNyan    376
15 hours ago, EchoingTime said:

Well the time will only be shortened if the mother is there. If you remove the mother it will go back to a normal time.

This is discrimination against all the single fathers out there! Its almost like you are saying that they are less caring for their offspring.

But then again the whole imprinting system goes around the idea of player playing the "parent" figure for baby. Adding real parents into the mix makes little sense unless hastened maturation will considerably reduce imprinting value you can get on the baby.

Leania    122
9 hours ago, DarthaNyan said:

This is discrimination against all the single fathers out there! Its almost like you are saying that they are less caring for their offspring.

But then again the whole imprinting system goes around the idea of player playing the "parent" figure for baby. Adding real parents into the mix makes little sense unless hastened maturation will considerably reduce imprinting value you can get on the baby.

:P Well in the wild, male parents of the majority of species have nothing to do with the offspring, some even would try to kill them. Then you have the rare set that do take care of their children....and somewhere between is humans I imagine. :P In all seriousness, if they go the 'parent cares for the offspring if available' I don't care if they chose mom, dad, or requires both.

EchoingTime    198
21 hours ago, hamburglar2 said:

I really like the mother feeding idea. I'd also like to see a refrigerated feeding trough eventually also. 

Seeing a refrigerated feeding trough would be great. Sadly 2 babies dinos just died on my server due to the meat spoiling to quick.

20 hours ago, ThyLazyDragon said:

Not bad idea bro, but if the mother is from another tribe or bought then the mother is counted dead because it is not in the area for her baby.

Thanks, and yes, not to powerful due to this.

15 hours ago, DarthaNyan said:

5 hours ago, Leania said:

:P Well in the wild, male parents of the majority of species have nothing to do with the offspring, some even would try to kill them. Then you have the rare set that do take care of their children....and somewhere between is humans I imagine. :P In all seriousness, if they go the 'parent cares for the offspring if available' I don't care if they chose mom, dad, or requires both.

Mostly likey the father will be the one that is being used or doing more breeding soo, the mother has to wait one day (or amount of time) to have another baby and in that time it can take care of it's children haha.

15 hours ago, Roderick said:

Imprinting needs a huge revamp to be honest, This feature is unhealthy for players because it encourages you to wake up every 3 hours and if you're trying to sleep for work this is not a good idea. I personally have no idea what goes through the minds of WC devs but this feature is just stupid, getting a giga or quetzal to 100% is way too tedious and encourages an unhealthy lifestyle.

Makes you have ark dreams but still, it's unhealthy like you said. If someone doesn't have a job and they have school.. Doing this would be bad for learning and staying awake. Middle, high school, and college? Having a imprinting system makes you want to get 100% 

Moejoe    1
On 22.4.2017 at 9:27 AM, Roderick said:

Yeah sure make the endgame dinos even easyier to impront so every single oneman Tribe can have a raptoring 100% Imprinted giga in his Little Woodbase.!

17 hours ago, EchoingTime said:

Seeing a refrigerated feeding trough would be great. Sadly 2 babies dinos just died on my server due to the meat spoiling to quick.

Thanks, and yes, not to powerful due to this.

Mostly likey the father will be the one that is being used or doing more breeding soo, the mother has to wait one day (or amount of time) to have another baby and in that time it can take care of it's children haha.

Makes you have ark dreams but still, it's unhealthy like you said. If someone doesn't have a job and they have school.. Doing this would be bad for learning and staying awake. Middle, high school, and college? Having a imprinting system makes you want to get 100% 

I really like this idea that we just made because it can helps those who are still in school and still try to get 100% imprint. Though the only real problem is if abused to much for anyone to get a 100% imprint on dinos.

HatterHare    2

All I have to say is the changes WILD Card is making is hurting its community. I have had many friends stopped playing ark entirely because of the flyer nerf and fear of the upcoming land dino nerfs. I would say this would be a great game if you got rid of breeding all together if you are gonna slap us against the face like this. My friend loves quetzals and takes the seven day hatching and breeding program to gain the benefits for investing so much time into pumping speed, stamina, and weight. With the nerf it killed him. He no longer plays because all the time he put into those benefits were ripped from him in a single night. My breeding has stopped because I wanted good argies and pteranodons but now it's stopped. I am saddened that i actually find wild birds having better stats then my bred birds. Then what will happen to the land dino nerfs? Will my bears which I have worked hard on creating and selling on a PVE server be nerfed on their speed and damage? Why did I invest so much time if you are gonna take it away? At this point the only reasons to breed is to hatch T-REX's for the boss battle. So Why is Breeding a thing at all if we can't get good dinos from it, or if you are gonna take it away?

You will probably say, (Smug face name here) "They grow  a little bit in percentage, but the main reason is to get as many hours invested into our game as possible with no large benefits or gifts intended. Its still beta after its been put to PS4 and Xbox. We are finally wanting to balance everything so that new players ill not fear the tribes that have been around for years."

Well your right, new players will not need to fear the older tribes because ant this point, there might be no old tribes left. I would wish Wild Card would fix the glitches, the bugs, the wait times, and the other problems before making new ones. i will be surprised if anyone reads this, but the way its going, my tribe will regret buying the game as well.