best cave mount ? [island]

Voidstar

For a cave with lots of water I might say Baronyx though haven't used mine too much yet.

A Dire Bear, however, is my absolute go to for cave diving, both dry and waterlogged. The only drawback Ive found with water play on a dire bear is its tendency to leave you at the bottom if you hop off it and swim to the top, so be wary if you are in a place that has things that can knock you off underwater, your bear will leave you for dead :D - wear scuba and flippers to mitigate your chances of death.

Other than that, they are cave steamrollers.

7 minutes ago, Nexus said:

The only drawback Ive found with water play on a dire bear is its tendency to leave you at the bottom if you hop off it and swim to the top, so be wary if you are in a place that has things that can knock you off underwater, your bear will leave you for dead :D - wear scuba and flippers to mitigate your chances of death.

Shouldn't happen when you put it on follow i think.

I personally prefer a strong Frog (curently 2khp, 90ish armor saddle, 615% melee) or a high Baronyx. Latter is really nice for caves with lots of Piranhas with his tail swing attack.

Be aware though, some caves, where you need to aim your jumps well are difficult with a frog, since it jumps so far and high.

I want to try a Terror Bird next, since i fished up a 106 armor saddle which should allow to go all in melee.

depends on the cave, 

for death island i mostly used thyla/frog or terror bird

for caves with diving its either bary or bear

for the swamp cave definitely the frog, i take home several thousands of cem paste daily :D

saber is still a viable alternative ot the bear if you want alot of chitin, just get a good saddle

for the snow cave i have no idea (the one wiht high lvls) i would like to know what most people bring in their to clear it safely, would a bear with asc saddle be enough?

2 hours ago, BobRoss said:

depends on the cave, 

for death island i mostly used thyla/frog or terror bird

for caves with diving its either bary or bear

for the swamp cave definitely the frog, i take home several thousands of cem paste daily :D

saber is still a viable alternative ot the bear if you want alot of chitin, just get a good saddle

for the snow cave i have no idea (the one wiht high lvls) i would like to know what most people bring in their to clear it safely, would a bear with asc saddle be enough?

Can you even get anything in there without actually breeding it to live there? If  you breed one I am sure a bear would do fine though.

11 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

is the snow cave so narrow? i remember slip bringing an argent in there? or am i misremembering stuff?

You have to crouch to walk in, but you could probably walk a juvie argent under the gap, after clearing out the closest mobs.
It's the one cave I won't claim to be easy anymore, hehe.
But if building is allowed there on your server, a little stone hatching shack shouldn't be hard to set up.

2 minutes ago, Inzzane said:

You have to crouch to be able to enter it, I doubt any Dino can come with you into that cave unless you breed it right there (or you take a shoulder mounted Dino which would be no help at all xD )

@Topic:  Thylacoleo if it fits into the cave is my go-to. Love the cats (and that comes from a dog guy, I hate cats in real life)

If you bring a pack of 10+ of the dimorphs that could actually work I guess.
Mate boosted and all they are pretty lethal.

5 minutes ago, Inzzane said:

You have to crouch to be able to enter it, I doubt any Dino can come with you into that cave unless you breed it right there (or you take a shoulder mounted Dino which would be no help at all xD )

@Topic:  Thylacoleo if it fits into the cave is my go-to. Love the cats (and that comes from a dog guy, I hate cats in real life)

thanks bro

Just now, Inzzane said:

That is worth a try! Challenge accepted :) 

I doubt they will survive for long against a lvl250 Yeti but if they can keep him busy so I can run past him to get a loot drop and hopefully get out before the Yeti kicks my butt.... it´s a win xD 

I have been able to get the artifact with grappling hooks and med brew... But kinda ended with me freezing to death on my way back, primitive fur to save cost was a bad choice :P
Did get it back though.
We have done it since "normally" with lots of pew pew, just clearing as we go, but one wrong timed Yeti can easily mean the end :(

Have tested the dimorph flock out in the wild and as long as you don't go nuts and attack gigas they are eating their way trough most creatures in no time.

1 hour ago, GobboKirk said:

You have to crouch to walk in, but you could probably walk a juvie argent under the gap, after clearing out the closest mobs.
It's the one cave I won't claim to be easy anymore, hehe.
But if building is allowed there on your server, a little stone hatching shack shouldn't be hard to set up.

You can exactly fit a Dino Gate, when you stand up after crouching, to your right. That leaves you with enough space for a trough or even a few foundations and generator and some ac units. 

Though I found that, if you leave the cave unloaded, the animals won't eat/heal in there. 

1 minute ago, maze said:

You can exactly fit a Dino Gate, when you stand up after crouching, to your right. That leaves you with enough space for a trough or even a few foundations and generator and some ac units. 

Though I found that, if you leave the cave unloaded, the animals won't eat/heal in there. 

Good tips :)

Not run any caves since before they were re-done, I'm currently playing on an unofficial with 480 wilds and have a decent pack of wolves, been breeding them and they've been coming out in the 670's, I really want to take them out as a pack but the AI makes it almost impossible so wouldn't mind running some caves instead, are any of them suitable or am I going to run in to pathing issues or anything? 

57 minutes ago, FiSh250505 said:

Not run any caves since before they were re-done, I'm currently playing on an unofficial with 480 wilds and have a decent pack of wolves, been breeding them and they've been coming out in the 670's, I really want to take them out as a pack but the AI makes it almost impossible so wouldn't mind running some caves instead, are any of them suitable or am I going to run in to pathing issues or anything? 

Wolves are doable, they suffer from lack of saddle, but do good damage. Wouldn't use wolves in the 2 higher caves, but the normal once you'll be fine.
Probably enough with one but a 2nd for mate boost wont hurt.

Archived