Clubs and Troodons

BulletForce

Recently the community welcomed the changes the devs made to flyers which were obviously OP and had been for a long time. The devs nerfed them and the result was a better balanced game.

The next obvious things that need to be nerfed are clubs and Troodons. Clubs have been glaringly OP since they were first introduced to ARK. The cheapest weapon one can make that is better then a good sword in the right hands. A character with a bit of melee will one hit anyone with a primitive club let alone an ascendant one regardless of what armor they are wearing or what quality it is or even what fortitude they have. This is an obvious case of broken mechanics and gameplay that has been an outstanding issue for quite some time. 

Troodons are arguably the most dangerous dino out there. It's pretty silly that players worry more about Troodons then they do about Rexs, Spinos or Gigas. This tiny little creature that has a big stack of HP for its size and can more then easily one hit knockout players. There was a recent patch that slightly nerfed their agro range but the real issue is just how much torpor they inflict per bite. It seems to be around 50 for a level 5 which is more then enough to knock out players in one go.

Just now, xNachoCheeze said:

I disagree with the clubs because I have high Melee on a official and I love running around with an ascd club knocking people out with 1 hit.

Yet, Troodons are problem. Their health is sorta like a raptor to say? But they inflict torpor and alot

My character has 400% melee. The other day we tested myself with a primitive club vs my friend with master craft sword. We both hit each other once, he did some damage to me but I instantly knocked him out. That to me is extremely broken. Why bother making such expensive weapons when 4 wood and 15 fiber gives you a much better weapon?

5 minutes ago, BulletForce said:

My character has 400% melee. The other day we tested myself with a primitive club vs my friend with master craft sword. We both hit each other once, he did some damage to me but I instantly knocked him out. That to me is extremely broken. Why bother making such expensive weapons when 4 wood and 15 fiber gives you a much better weapon?

There is some missing info in your test. What are the other stats?  Does your friend also have 400% melee?  By putting pretty much all your stats into melee you chose to forgo the rest of your stats. So you should be rewarded with knocking the crap out of someone with one hit.   What is your health? What is his health and fortitude? I have a MC sword and one hit a tribe member from 200 down to the 60s and I have barely leveled my melee. Are the clubs op? Perhaps, but that isn't a good example of why.  Better test would have been to hit him with the sword, heal him up, then hit him with the club and see what the result was. 

27 minutes ago, MisbegottenAngel said:

There is some missing info in your test. What are the other stats?  Does your friend also have 400% melee?  By putting pretty much all your stats into melee you chose to forgo the rest of your stats. So you should be rewarded with knocking the crap out of someone with one hit.   What is your health? What is his health and fortitude? I have a MC sword and one hit a tribe member from 200 down to the 60s and I have barely leveled my melee. Are the clubs op? Perhaps, but that isn't a good example of why.  Better test would have been to hit him with the sword, heal him up, then hit him with the club and see what the result was. 

I've "gunned down" players with poo health cause they wanted to club troll.. I'd say clubs are in a good place, don't let players sneak up on you or use high fort/armor and you can take several hits,  same with troodons..

Guest BubbaCrawfish

I get nailed by troodons a lot, but I rarely find myself at their mercy.

Be it that I have a few dinos around me, and I avoid going out at night, but there are ways of countering this.

Clubs are just fair game, if you leave yourself to being so close that you get clubbed, you did it to yourself.

2 hours ago, Melcreif said:

Has anyone tried using stimulant when they are bitten by a troodon?  Also curious about folks who get one hit by primitive clubs.  I've got 40 fortitude and no way a primitive club takes me out in one hit.  It would take 5-6 hits at least...

This I tested with a friend on a random official server. We both had 60 Fortitude, 200% melee, and 100hp. We tested a primitive club and an Asc club. the primi club couldn't knock me out before the damage killed me. The Asc club was same thing but I was much higher torpor. I probably would of knocked out if I hadn't been hit again and died. but enough torpor really makes club cheap, right where they need to be.

Your stimulant question though is a good thing to test. I would be interested in that answer.

Also I play with a 75$ headset that has very good quality, and can hear people running up on me. Simply put don't be snuck up on , and you wont get beat unconscious. Also troodons and pegomastix. Troodons scare the hell out of me because theyre strong, and pegos are annoying as hell

16 hours ago, xNachoCheeze said:

I disagree with the clubs because I have high Melee on a official and I love running around with an ascd club knocking people out with 1 hit

Yeah. That's kind of the only reason people ever disagree about clubs. Because they're abusing it. Definitely needs nerfed hard. 

As for troodons, stimulants negate them - except for when they are in a pack. In a pack they are a bit broken at the moment. 

Guest BubbaCrawfish
9 minutes ago, fruitofvictory said:

That's kind of the only reason people ever disagree about clubs.

Actually no, I don't abuse them, I don't even use them myself, but if you are in a situation that allows people to get close enough to you to use them, then it's half your fault...

I play on a hardcore server. Im level 87 with around 440 hp and 30 fortitude, a combination of mc and asc ghillie and riot gear.

Got bitten by a level 15ish troodon, got away, was bitten by a level 20ish troodon. Knocked out xD

They do low damage though, so I managed to log out, log in on my alt, jump on my wyvern, fly to my main's unconcious body and kill the troodons.

Saved my main char with 220hp left on him.

From now on I carry 30 stiumlant with me, no exception.

Worked hard to obtain troodon male and female. Little bugger is brilliant in pvp, specifically in raiding if used correctly. 

If you leave yourself open in the wild for it - your own fault. I have been knocked and eaten hundreds of times by them. Should look around more closely before you step down off your tame. It is a survival game to remind you :)

19 hours ago, Proximo said:

What forums have you been reading? Most of the community hated the nerf of the flyers. I do agree with you though on the Troodons, I don't go outside my base without my saber.

I cant agree with the comment 'most of the community hated the nerf of the flyers'. I agree there were many negative comments but there were also a lot of people who praised the attempt to rebalance the game. 

I for one (PvE) prefer the nerf, but I can agree with many people opinions who havent liked the nerf but to say most of the community hated the nerf is a bit far fetched without some metrics backing up that statement.

Troodons are a new and low level players worst enemy. Even as an experienced player, when getting a few of your first tames - you are usually going to be taken down by a Troodon or two. Its not until you are a high level player with good armour that you will usually keep them at bay, and even then you have to remain vigilant and on the look out for them. Saying that though, most players at high level run about on a mount of sorts so Troodons become less of an issue.

I play Prim+ and havent come across any Clubs so I cant comment on that tbh apart from that it would be a primitive weapon, but if wielded correctly, would cause a hell of a lot of damage when lumbered over someones head.

Guest BubbaCrawfish
30 minutes ago, Jonathanasger said:

They do low damage though, so I managed to log out, log in on my alt, jump on my wyvern, fly to my main's unconcious body and kill the troodons.

Saved my main char with 220hp left on him.

Talk about exploiting... What's the point of declaring you play on Hardcore, when you exploit to save yourself?

2 hours ago, BubbaCrawfish said:

Talk about exploiting... What's the point of declaring you play on Hardcore, when you exploit to save yourself?

You are right. Such moves kinda defeats the purpose of hardcore servers.

I guess I did it for two reasons. I was only thinking about how I could save my skin, and I guess that with all the "unjustified deaths" I have experienced because of glitches and disconnections, that I kinda... Deserved another chance.

3 hours ago, Anarki said:

I cant agree with the comment 'most of the community hated the nerf of the flyers'. I agree there were many negative comments but there were also a lot of people who praised the attempt to rebalance the game. 

I for one (PvE) prefer the nerf, but I can agree with many people opinions who havent liked the nerf but to say most of the community hated the nerf is a bit far fetched without some metrics backing up that statement.

Didn't you see the 3 different threads that had to be shut down because there was over 1400 comments on all of them with almost everyone saying they hated the nerf? I don't know exact metrics but I would guess 90% said they disagreed with the nerf and voiced their displeasure.  I also remember someone posting that Ark's rating on Steam went from in the 70's to the high 40's after the nerf. Also Steam has the classic flyer mod that can be downloaded that reverts the flyers back to pre-flyer nerf and it has 126k subscribers to it.  I think these numbers speak for themselves.

It is the same as most updates, their is always hate, then people get used to it and carry on. The devs said they would watch the reaction and make adjustments as they see fit. I would say at this moment in time, there is still an active community playing. The server I play on is still as active now as it was before v1 nerf - granted it went quiet fro a week or so, but players are back doing their thing.

And what forums usually call out are the negatives of things. People like to complain so seeing a lot of threads where people are raging isnt really a metric to believe in... we humans are quick to judge and not quick to praise.

Anyway,  back on topic. I hate those Troodons with a passion, and they are something I generally scout the area first and look to kill before getting off my mount and doing my business. I looked back through my tribe log and discussed with my members and of the 5 members we have, I can see/heard that all have died at the claws of a Troodon at one time or another on our server haha (Actually, except me, I kept dying to a Theri near our base).

Archived