How to avoid Leedsichthys?

Magictina

The topic says it already. I used to use my raft very often, when I travelled around the Island and especially now with the flyer nerf, my raft would be even more important for me to travel and especially to transport my Dinos from point A to B. But now with this Leedsichthy, the only water creature that would attack any raft swimming by, I did not dare to give it a try yet. So are there any tactics to minimize the risk of being attacked by a Leedsichthy while sailing?

Thanks

Tina

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Horvath said:

dont go on water till its fixed or til we get a raft with motor attached

Fixed? I thought that this is one of the main reasons for the creature to make travelling with a raft more dangerous as this was till now by far the easiest and less dangerous way of travelling. So I really don't want to wipe out that risk completely, just to know any tactics to be taken to minimize it.

First and only creature we've replaced in the config on our little internal private server to prevent spawns of them completely.

Yes, I hear the "it makes it more challenging" arguments, but my wife and I play for fun on our own little server that is not public and we have it set up the way we want to in order to enjoy the game the way we want to, in my opinion the Leeds destroyed the ocean access we enjoyed (and need on The Center map we play on), so we removed it :)

I'm pretty sure they changed the shallow SPAWNS for the Leeds (Might be wandering into bays/getting stuck), and nerfed the spawn rate and scaling damage. At the moment they're able to chow through embedded foundations which makes it impossible to fortify your raft. I have heard rumours this is being addressed but personally not seen anything official.

One thing I do know is that the best defence is offence. Build your raft with X Plants able to shoot behind you at the Leeds, they do a knock back, I'm unsure how many you would actually need to successfully evade 1 Leeds chasing you but combining it with painfully holding down your 'W' key for dear life might just be the additional factor to getting you to a safe place.

If someone knows the numbers on how many is needed to successfully keep them back I'd really like to know :P The video is reference to the mechanic but the build is slightly impractical and the turrets are slightly overkill. Aside that all credit to Crote as I was having similar troubles with my raft and I totally forgot about the knock back on X-Plants

That video is the best I've seen on how to defend against the Leeds!  Thank you for linking it.  

I love my boats.  My first real boat, I spent an entire weekend building.  It's one of my favorite things in Ark.  Since I learned about the Leeds and have watched the PC players struggle with it, I have been fortifying my docks to protect my boats, enjoying them now but resigned to watching them sit there  after the patch is released to consoles.  The plant X push-back gives me hope.

8 hours ago, Magictina said:

The topic says it already. I used to use my raft very often, when I travelled around the Island and especially now with the flyer nerf, my raft would be even more important for me to travel and especially to transport my Dinos from point A to B. But now with this Leedsichthy, the only water creature that would attack any raft swimming by, I did not dare to give it a try yet. So are there any tactics to minimize the risk of being attacked by a Leedsichthy while sailing?

Thanks

Tina

You'll be safe and sound as long as you stay in the shallows. They're so big they can't fit in shallow water, so you're safe there. Takes a little longer to hug the coast, but it's worth the safety. 

I also like to press the (by default) K key to put the camera in free mode as I move, so I can zoom out and swivel around the water looking for the monsters. You can only travel in a straight line when doing this, but it helps to see if a sneaky leeds is coming close. 

Also, no raft can outrun one, so make a B-line right for the shore if you're in deep water and one aggros to you. 

46 minutes ago, Shadow9cat said:

That video is the best I've seen on how to defend against the Leeds!  Thank you for linking it.  

I love my boats.  My first real boat, I spent an entire weekend building.  It's one of my favorite things in Ark.  Since I learned about the Leeds and have watched the PC players struggle with it, I have been fortifying my docks to protect my boats, enjoying them now but resigned to watching them sit there  after the patch is released to consoles.  The plant X push-back gives me hope.

I feel you man. I run a private server and were all living in rafts for fun. Ive built a big community water base / boat mooring station in the middle of the ocean, hoping i can defend against leeds and make a "safe zone" if being chased (or atleast turret stations through out the water to distract as we boat away!)

8 minutes ago, d1nk said:

I feel you man. I run a private server and were all living in rafts for fun. Ive built a big community water base / boat mooring station in the middle of the ocean, hoping i can defend against leeds and make a "safe zone" if being chased (or atleast turret stations through out the water to distract as we boat away!)

Hahaha!  That's awesome!  It must have taken you ages to build it.  I hope it works out!

I play single player split screen on the PS4 with my husband, so it's just us against the world!  I have seriously toyed with the idea of building shipping lanes using pillars, at least between my main base and our northernmost outpost.  Though what that would do to the FPS...I don't want to think about!  

I still expect to log on to the game after the update and see a Leeds glitching through my seawall to eat my precious boats.  I might need to add some plant-X defenses, just in case!

Turret stations are a good idea!

1 minute ago, Shadow9cat said:

Hahaha!  That's awesome!  It must have taken you ages to build it.  I hope it works out!

I play single player split screen on the PS4 with my husband, so it's just us against the world!  I have seriously toyed with the idea of building shipping lanes using pillars, at least between my main base and our northernmost outpost.  Though what that would do to the FPS...I don't want to think about!  

I still expect to log on to the game after the update and see a Leeds glitching through my seawall to eat my precious boats.  I might need to add some plant-X defenses, just in case!

Turret stations are a good idea!

Its not as bad as you think. Mind wiped to 800 oxy and i can build and evade most mantas. Its not demanding on the server and easy to build if you use foundations ceilings and pillars right ! 

(Build a ceiling - pillar wall line underwater at bottom, run it any demensions you want for top base, connect 1 pillar line to top of ocean,  build ceilings off that 1 over top of the ceilings you placed on ocean floor as support. Only need the 1 pillar connected. Mines currently about 40x35 only , a big box to park inside.

Working on trying t wall it all in now. Prepare for leeds!!

27 minutes ago, d1nk said:

Its not as bad as you think. Mind wiped to 800 oxy and i can build and evade most mantas. Its not demanding on the server and easy to build if you use foundations ceilings and pillars right ! 

(Build a ceiling - pillar wall line underwater at bottom, run it any demensions you want for top base, connect 1 pillar line to top of ocean,  build ceilings off that 1 over top of the ceilings you placed on ocean floor as support. Only need the 1 pillar connected. Mines currently about 40x35 only , a big box to park inside.

Working on trying t wall it all in now. Prepare for leeds!!

Nice!!  I'd seen videos of folks building without tons of pillars in the ocean.  Didn't know how it was done!  Thanks for the tip!  I may be building some safe harbors in the deep places this weekend.  The ocean is about to get a lot more crowded!

13 minutes ago, Shadow9cat said:

Nice!!  I'd seen videos of folks building without tons of pillars in the ocean.  Didn't know how it was done!  Thanks for the tip!  I may be building some safe harbors in the deep places this weekend.  The ocean is about to get a lot more crowded!

Most places are too deep for viable bases.. between carno isl and mainland has the best shallow enough water 

7 minutes ago, Melcreif said:

I think anyone complaining bout the Leed truly miss the point.  Before traveling by boat was pretty much completely safe.  Now it's more like a great Jaws movie LOL

We get the point, the point is to have some danger. Currently its akin to having guaranteed giga spawns on land that auto aggro onto your bronto. Nothing you can do except MAYBE with careful planninh escape. You can atleast kill em with imprinted gigas.. solo on a raft you liyerally have zero chance unless you have 10 plant x and RUN

6 minutes ago, d1nk said:

We get the point, the point is to have some danger. Currently its akin to having guaranteed giga spawns on land that auto aggro onto your bronto. Nothing you can do except MAYBE with careful planninh escape. You can atleast kill em with imprinted gigas.. solo on a raft you liyerally have zero chance unless you have 10 plant x and RUN

For a dinosaur game I truly think this is kinda awesome.  I watched a video on youtube and 2 people on 2 different rafts were able to support each other and kill Leeds using balista's.  They even killed an alpha so I don't think they are too OP, just really dangerous...

13 minutes ago, Melcreif said:

For a dinosaur game I truly think this is kinda awesome.  I watched a video on youtube and 2 people on 2 different rafts were able to support each other and kill Leeds using balista's.  They even killed an alpha so I don't think they are too OP, just really dangerous...

Thats cool! 

Im not saying it should be ez mode.. but maybe SOME WAY to either avoid or stall it (maybe aggro less often or a bit slower so u have a chance to run)?

I dont think theyre too op.. just need a mechanic to deal with em besides let raft die and run thats all

As others have mentioned they actually aren't that hard to kill...so before heading out on a boating adventure...look around and kill any you find.

Another work around is to carry another raft in your inventory...when the Leeds attacks, drop the extra raft and the Leeds should aggro on that one giving you time to run to safety.

Best method is just killing them before you take off...but yeah if you get caught..without turrets or the like..it will smoke your boat.

Currently they dont spawn as often, and no longer in 5 feet of water...but if like me you forget to check before bringing your new dire wolves from the Redwood forest...?

You're going to have a bad time.

:)

1 hour ago, Melcreif said:

I think anyone complaining bout the Leed truly miss the point.  Before traveling by boat was pretty much completely safe.  Now it's more like a great Jaws movie LOL

Don't get me wrong, there are certain things that I like about the Leeds.  I think the graphics of the boat attacks are super fun and I love the idea of a big white whale to watch out for and the added sense of danger.

I wish the boats had more defense against it though...that's what I find so disappointing.  When we built the first raft and headed out for herbivore island, if the Leeds had been around then there is a very good chance that our boat would have been clobbered.  We would have then tried to build another with defenses (like say... spiked walls) and go again only to have the thing ghost through our defenses and get clobbered again.  Not exactly the level of fun I'm looking for.  I feel like there should be an answer.  I'm not saying it should be easy, but it should be there.  And it shouldn't be high level underwater turrets or a plesio with a platform saddle since I feel like the rafts are early game stuff.

I read somewhere that there might be a plan for other types of boats.  If that's the case maybe there will be something there that is more resistant to or faster than the Leeds.  And if new boats were a plan when developing the Leeds, I feel like the cart has been put before the horse a bit here.  I think they should all have been released at the same time or at least close to eachother. But, that might just be pie in the sky thinking and there really isn't a plan for new boats.  I'd love to know one way or the other though.

Archived