How to avoid Leedsichthys?

Magictina

23 hours ago, Jim359 said:

I saw one like that in my single player game just a few days ago.  The game was new by just a few days and it was the first time I had ventured into that area.

Yeah, I do this.  But... I have also been ambushed by them coming straight up from the deep, heh.

Yeah, first one I encountered I tried to outrun due to the crappy incorrect info given on it's dossieer.  They ain't slower than a raft peeps.

This is by design it seems based on Jen's comments on the Leeds Arkipedia page.  Also to me encasing rafts in foundations is either an exploit or stupid game design.  Either way, I don't do it.  I'd rather see an upgraded raft with like metal bands (see reinforced doors for an example)  across it etc.  Like thatch/wood/stone/metal building progression. Or cloth/hide/chitin/metal, etc etc etc.  you get the picture.

Men used to go hunting whales in boats made out of wood, and they were not at all flimsy....the game has a lot further to go in terms of boating if the raft is the best they got right now. A lot further.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Probitas said:

Here is some more idiocy in AI pathing. This should be impossible for this large whale.

Let's not even mention that the rocks there are supposed to be impassable.

This is where it ended up after I killed it. Nice flight and hang time. PhysX needs more work.

that happens because of rendering.  The game draws animals (and eggs (thats why eggs fall through floors)) first.  The slingshot happens when animals are trying to moving against a stationary piece of scenery. 

14 hours ago, terranraida said:

I put two plant turrets on my raft, if one starts coming at me I wake up the plant x and the slow they give should get me to the shore before my stuff gets destroyed, but you're definitely taking one or two hits.

I've never seen plantx shoot down, ever. It also has an elevation limit where something too close and past a certain angle is also impossible to target. I doubt they could be of much use unless your raft has some large extensions where the plants are on the end of long platforms, and the raft getting bounced while you run to the plant to activate it make it unlikely you'd survive.

And if the game is rendering animals and eggs first then it needs to stop, this is why dinos and eggs are disappearing all the time then. It should put in structures and land and water and THEN add dinos and whatever they drop. If the dino is going to be inside something it should push it (the dino) out of the way to the closest empty spot. How can they still be doing this so badly? Just change the order of the render ffs.

10 hours ago, Probitas said:

I've never seen plantx shoot down, ever. It also has an elevation limit where something too close and past a certain angle is also impossible to target. I doubt they could be of much use unless your raft has some large extensions where the plants are on the end of long platforms, and the raft getting bounced while you run to the plant to activate it make it unlikely you'd survive.

My raft is extended a little bit, but not much. About a ceiling to each side, one plant x on each. Works great, give it a try before shutting it down. 

On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 4:42 PM, Shadow9cat said:

But to be fair, not everybody plays this game in groups.  It's  harder for single players...sure in a game that is designed for multiplayer, it should be harder, but it shouldn't be impossible for a single player to enjoy one of the best parts of Ark, boat exploration.

This is why i ditched the boat and traded it for a jetski simply tame a Sarco and bump its speed and weight up real good it dosen't lose stam in water so with boosted speed it is very fast in water ;):D

1 hour ago, Brachiosaurous said:

Are you sure the rates are down I saw 4 leeds in one spot and one of them was san white one(large alpha i assume Theres many on one of my PGArk maps so many

Since the day they were released, yeah it really seems so to me. The day they came out you could jump in the ocean at any point and see at least 2-3, sometimes they were spawning so close to shores and rivers you could see 2-3 from the surface. Now I have to go deep to see any, and the most I've seen since is 2 at a time. 

I ignore them for the most part so my sense that they've diminished could be psychologically biased.

On Saturday, May 06, 2017 at 7:26 PM, Azareus said:

Two plants is the minimum, set them at max range.

I tested it in single player, the leed was simply unable to reach me, if it was behind me. 

If you happen to meet it face to face, you could need 3 or 4, they give you the time to steer and head toward the beach. Keep in mind that, yes, the leed can crush the raft in 3/4 hits but its attack has a little cooldown, it's around 10 or 20 seconds. They dont bite the raft like 4 times in a second.

Now I feel safe online too. Even if I never met them with my real raft ?

HTH

Lol the Leeds will

FEEL MY wRAFTh

On 5/17/2017 at 11:58 PM, Probitas said:

Here is another stupid spawn in. I had just used destroywilddinos, and this is where the leeds came in.

Veggie Island Harbor. I don't see how it would ever be able to get out.

I feel like you guys are being too timid, I was able in flak and a pike to kill one. I would have pulled a raft up parallel on the shallow side and used bows/crossbows to kill it. It might turn towards you but there is a limit to how shallow it can go. But it's not bright enough to go far with a raft to aggro on. Then enjoy insane fish meat and hide. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/20/2017 at 0:15 AM, Horvath said:

dont go on water till its fixed or til we get a raft with motor attached

I had one destroy my raft while I was getting oil, really irritated me but, land bases have to worry about kiting and animals glitching in etc,  I like the idea that raft bases are not safe anymore.  Keep em coming.

1 hour ago, Probitas said:

Thought people should know the same crazy spawn in happens on your new DLC too. Awesome.

I only have three Leeds on my Ragnarok map, and all of them are fairly close to the blue beacon. My Center map, on the other hand, had so many that I had to disable them because they were jamming up all over the place. That Horseshoe Bay on South Tropical had three crammed into it.

On 6/16/2017 at 8:55 PM, Mahnogard said:

I only have three Leeds on my Ragnarok map, and all of them are fairly close to the blue beacon. My Center map, on the other hand, had so many that I had to disable them because they were jamming up all over the place. That Horseshoe Bay on South Tropical had three crammed into it.

One of mine was stuck into the rock structure on the entrance into Viking Bay, the other was halfway into Viking Bay. Both of them were halfway into the water as there was no way they could submerge, or swim, or even get there due to the lack of water depth.

This sort of thing really breaks immersion. Hope they get it sorted out because it makes the game look cartoonish.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I know I'm coming late to the party, but that topic doesn't seem to have found a good answer that would be a middle ground between "Strike them from the server's creatures list" and "Just deal with 'em" and still it appears first on google with the keywords "leedsichthys" and "protection".

I've recently stumbled upon that video released on youtube in June of 2017 by the awesome xONEWINGx, who is both crafty and very fond of boats in Ark, and even craftier when it comes to purposely built rafts, so I first assumed that he surely had given some thought to our issue.

Here is the video, the title speaks for itself. I'll let you decide whether he did the job or not.

Hope you guys and whoever find themselves here for the same reason see a solution to their problem at some point.

Archived