How to avoid Leedsichthys?

Magictina

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Shadow9cat said:

Don't get me wrong, there are certain things that I like about the Leeds.  I think the graphics of the boat attacks are super fun and I love the idea of a big white whale to watch out for and the added sense of danger.

I wish the boats had more defense against it though...that's what I find so disappointing.  When we built the first raft and headed out for herbivore island, if the Leeds had been around then there is a very good chance that our boat would have been clobbered.  We would have then tried to build another with defenses (like say... spiked walls) and go again only to have the thing ghost through our defenses and get clobbered again.  Not exactly the level of fun I'm looking for.  I feel like there should be an answer.  I'm not saying it should be easy, but it should be there.  And it shouldn't be high level underwater turrets or a plesio with a platform saddle since I feel like the rafts are early game stuff.

I read somewhere that there might be a plan for other types of boats.  If that's the case maybe there will be something there that is more resistant to or faster than the Leeds.  And if new boats were a plan when developing the Leeds, I feel like the cart has been put before the horse a bit here.  I think they should all have been released at the same time or at least close to eachother. But, that might just be pie in the sky thinking and there really isn't a plan for new boats.  I'd love to know one way or the other though.

Did you read my previous post about the Youtube video I watched where 2 people went out on seperate boats and supported each other using Ballista turrets?  It's a great example of how you can combat these new beast fish.

3 hours ago, Melcreif said:

Did you read my previous post about the Youtube video I watched where 2 people went out on seperate boats and supported each other using Ballista turrets?  It's a great example of how you can combat these new beast fish.

I did.  And I thought that does sound like a fun adventure.  I'm sure it was exciting to watch. I've actually thought about ballista turrets because that sorta feels like what someone should be using to kill the big white whale.  And maybe that's an answer.  But to be fair, not everybody plays this game in groups.  It's harder for single players...sure in a game that is designed for multiplayer, it should be harder, but it shouldn't be impossible for a single player to enjoy one of the best parts of Ark, boat exploration.

I plan on playing with different survival methods once we have Leeds on the console.  I don't know if a single player on a raft with a ballista turret can take one out before the raft dies, but I intend to find out.  Maybe a combo of ballista turrets with plant-x?  It'll be fun to try anyhow.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2017 at 0:14 PM, Shadow9cat said:

Don't get me wrong, there are certain things that I like about the Leeds.  I think the graphics of the boat attacks are super fun and I love the idea of a big white whale to watch out for and the added sense of danger.

I wish the boats had more defense against it though...that's what I find so disappointing.  When we built the first raft and headed out for herbivore island, if the Leeds had been around then there is a very good chance that our boat would have been clobbered.  We would have then tried to build another with defenses (like say... spiked walls) and go again only to have the thing ghost through our defenses and get clobbered again.  Not exactly the level of fun I'm looking for.  I feel like there should be an answer.  I'm not saying it should be easy, but it should be there.  And it shouldn't be high level underwater turrets or a plesio with a platform saddle since I feel like the rafts are early game stuff.

I read somewhere that there might be a plan for other types of boats.  If that's the case maybe there will be something there that is more resistant to or faster than the Leeds.  And if new boats were a plan when developing the Leeds, I feel like the cart has been put before the horse a bit here.  I think they should all have been released at the same time or at least close to eachother. But, that might just be pie in the sky thinking and there really isn't a plan for new boats.  I'd love to know one way or the other though.

So I kinda forgot about this topic and last night set out in my stone taming boat (The Center) to head over to lava island to tame a high level Rex.  My base is right across from Blue OB on Jungle Island South and I was heading North not really worrying about whether I was hugging the beach or not. BAM!  My boat rocks!!  At first I was like what the heck?  Then I reallzed oh crap, a Leed!  I immediately head towards the beach and look back with this enormous fish kinda sticking out of the water.  It was wicked!  Then I start to think Ok I can maybe hug the beach and try and avoid these suckers, but what am I going to do when it's time to cross the water towards Lava Island?  I access the damage to the boat and see I'm almost at half health.  I quickly hit land and start gathering some resources to repair my boat and head out again this time staying close to land.  Once I find the spot I'd like to cross I go down into the water and look around.  Ok, looks safe.  I head over and make it most of the way until, BAM!, rocked again!  I manage to hit the beach on lava island in order to look for my Rex.  While I'm there I gather more resources and fix my boat again, find a 145 Rex, tame him and then pile him into the boat and gather more resources to fix the boat.  Heading back this time I wasn't hit.  I skirted the beaches all the way back to my base.

Just a quick exciting story to illustrate that yeah these things are dangerous, and yeah you could lose a boat. But man was that fun LOL

On 4/20/2017 at 3:13 AM, Magictina said:

The topic says it already. I used to use my raft very often, when I travelled around the Island and especially now with the flyer nerf, my raft would be even more important for me to travel and especially to transport my Dinos from point A to B. But now with this Leedsichthy, the only water creature that would attack any raft swimming by, I did not dare to give it a try yet. So are there any tactics to minimize the risk of being attacked by a Leedsichthy while sailing?

Thanks

Tina

If I was you I would stick close to the shore I don't think they spawn close to the shore.

13 hours ago, Melcreif said:

Just a quick exciting story to illustrate that yeah these things are dangerous, and yeah you could lose a boat. But man was that fun LOL

Hahaha!  That's fantastic!  Very exciting story!  Thanks for sharing!

Real life has gotten in the way and I haven't been able to play much since the last patch.  But I did poke my head in there for long enough to see a Leeds and get get my manta taming raft to safety.  Lol!  Those fishy menaces are actually pretty cute.  Good for you for escaping in one piece!

I like the idea of the leads but the implementation is totally stupid the leads are supposed to be a Moby-sausage type character that can eat a boat but there should not be more than two of them on the server at one time they need to make the spawns rare like Titanosaurus. It does not matter that they dont spawn in shallow anymore, if one sees you your screwed. The kind of boat life most people want doesnt allow for all those extra structures to have species x on the boat. Something needs to be changed. 

On our server we have it set so only the alpha leed spawns, so it is rare and not just ruining the ocean. 

Cause serously theres only one moby-sausage

1 hour ago, kortniechan said:

I like the idea of the leads but the implementation is totally stupid the leads are supposed to be a Moby-sausage type character that can eat a boat but there should not be more than two of them on the server at one time they need to make the spawns rare like Titanosaurus. It does not matter that they dont spawn in shallow anymore, if one sees you your screwed. The kind of boat life most people want doesnt allow for all those extra structures to have species x on the boat. Something needs to be changed. 

On our server we have it set so only the alpha leed spawns, so it is rare and not just ruining the ocean. 

Cause serously theres only one moby-sausage

So is that a type of sausage thats cynical and bald?

Two rafts and a microphone, just clap your hands clap your hands.

On 20/4/2017 at 2:10 PM, Brockers said:

If someone knows the numbers on how many is needed to successfully keep them back I'd really like to know :P The video is reference to the mechanic but the build is slightly impractical and the turrets are slightly overkill. Aside that all credit to Crote as I was having similar troubles with my raft and I totally forgot about the knock back on X-Plants

Two plants is the minimum, set them at max range.

I tested it in single player, the leed was simply unable to reach me, if it was behind me. 

If you happen to meet it face to face, you could need 3 or 4, they give you the time to steer and head toward the beach. Keep in mind that, yes, the leed can crush the raft in 3/4 hits but its attack has a little cooldown, it's around 10 or 20 seconds. They dont bite the raft like 4 times in a second.

Now I feel safe online too. Even if I never met them with my real raft ?

HTH

I saw a video today of someone throwing honey off the back and the Leeds chasing it.  I personally keep stuff in my inventory for one quick repair of the raft itself.  I have killed them with everything down to a hatchet, just get your boat to the shallows when they hit you, repair it and go get some fish meat. The only thing I haven't had the chance to deal with though is an Alpha Leeds.

On 5/6/2017 at 7:29 PM, lemans81 said:

I saw a video today of someone throwing honey off the back and the Leeds chasing it.  I personally keep stuff in my inventory for one quick repair of the raft itself.  I have killed them with everything down to a hatchet, just get your boat to the shallows when they hit you, repair it and go get some fish meat. The only thing I haven't had the chance to deal with though is an Alpha Leeds.

How are you repairing your raft in the middle of an attack?  There is a cool down timer for damage before it can be repaired to stop exactly what you are saying you're doing.

Honestly my best fix for Leeds especially if you're alone is a couple of megladons following your raft set to attack my target or nuetral. They follow the raft and when the Leeds attack they will swarm or you shoot the Leeds and the swarm. Sure you might lose one to the ocean every now and then but isn't that better than losing your raft?? Especially since my favorite raft is actually a dino carrier of sorts.

As a duo my tribe mate and I take out the raft and a spino. We stay closer to shore than we used to but he slaughters with the spino and I play fish bait bringing them to shore. Sure it makes a once single person trip into a buddy system but hey it ends with great stories!! Our server currently calls us out to slaughter the Leeds that are blocking important water ways :)

Option 3: To avoid random animals biting my water dinos who are following, or if you're still early level I also have a Turtle Army who ride with me. I deploy them one at a time to murder. If they live I return for the conquering hero. The Leeds almost never hurt my turtles enough to kill them. Tank Turtles for life!!

We started our murder spree in the waters near South 1 and out to Herbivore so yes they're on the island

On 4/20/2017 at 0:13 AM, Magictina said:

The topic says it already. I used to use my raft very often, when I travelled around the Island and especially now with the flyer nerf, my raft would be even more important for me to travel and especially to transport my Dinos from point A to B. But now with this Leedsichthy, the only water creature that would attack any raft swimming by, I did not dare to give it a try yet. So are there any tactics to minimize the risk of being attacked by a Leedsichthy while sailing?

Thanks

Tina

Very simple. Drop honey from the giant bee into the water and you will get away easily. The Leeds didn't stay a threat for that long really at all.

2 hours ago, VariableOwl said:

Honestly my best fix for Leeds especially if you're alone is a couple of megladons following your raft set to attack my target or nuetral.

I don't think tactic will work unless you are higher level player with mounts to match.  Any lower level players will have lower level mounts.  Two low level shark pets following you will be attacked non-stop.  Even if you manage to keep them alive you will be fighting for every yard of forward progression.

Myself I am looking for tactics that will help a "new" player (recently started a new single-player game.  Wanted to see what everyone was screaming about it being so hard.) in a single-player game. 

Thx.

On 5/8/2017 at 6:05 PM, Jim359 said:

I don't think tactic will work unless you are higher level player with mounts to match.  Any lower level players will have lower level mounts.  Two low level shark pets following you will be attacked non-stop.  Even if you manage to keep them alive you will be fighting for every yard of forward progression.

Myself I am looking for tactics that will help a "new" player (recently started a new single-player game.  Wanted to see what everyone was screaming about it being so hard.) in a single-player game. 

Thx.

That's why I offered option 3: Turtle Army. Turtles are extremely easy to tame and can sit on top of the raft with you until the time for them to die or in most cases murder continously. I usually catch a level 60 or better turtle before I even have stone learned so it's a viable option especially for first rafts before you've made your way to the swamp to get flowers. 

Well I don't think it's fixed at all, and I have proof.

So much for them avoiding the shallows. I ended up killing this one with an argentavis because it pretty much beached itself.

You can usually spot them using K to get a better view of the underwater area of the raft, but they move like bullets when attacking, don't be fooled by the ponderous slow speed they seem to have, it's an illusion. So far they've all been level one but I had one that was Alpha, and that thing was a train wreck. You can have a raft encased in metal and it may as well not be there, it ignores it and goes right to the flimsy raft.

2 hours ago, Probitas said:

Well I don't think it's fixed at all, and I have proof.

So much for them avoiding the shallows. I ended up killing this one with an argentavis because it pretty much beached itself.

I saw one like that in my single player game just a few days ago.  The game was new by just a few days and it was the first time I had ventured into that area.

You can usually spot them using K to get a better view of the underwater area of the raft,

Yeah, I do this.  But... I have also been ambushed by them coming straight up from the deep, heh.

but they move like bullets when attacking, don't be fooled by the ponderous slow speed they seem to have, it's an illusion.

Yeah, first one I encountered I tried to outrun due to the crappy incorrect info given on it's dossieer.  They ain't slower than a raft peeps.

You can have a raft encased in metal and it may as well not be there, it ignores it and goes right to the flimsy raft.

This is by design it seems based on Jen's comments on the Leeds Arkipedia page.  Also to me encasing rafts in foundations is either an exploit or stupid game design.  Either way, I don't do it.  I'd rather see an upgraded raft with like metal bands (see reinforced doors for an example)  across it etc.  Like thatch/wood/stone/metal building progression. Or cloth/hide/chitin/metal, etc etc etc.  you get the picture.

Archived