Would you build in a metal spawn spot? Singleplayer! Video Teaser Trailer soon!

Zergling963

So I am planning out a story/gameplay series and want to include the volcano erupting. It is a singleplayer story and I found the perfect spot for a base where you would see the volcano eruption and its far enough away things won't get destroyed when the patch comes out. Issue is its right in the redwoods on the mountain with high metal yield/spawn. I figure being singleplayer I can always go elsewhere for metal and I adore and love the redwoods but didn't want to build a tree house so much this time I wanted to do a proper mountain base in the redwoods as part of my story. And have a different type of base that hugs around the mountain etc. I don't plan on building walls around the base like a usual fort either as I want the views for the series I am planning. However would you build on a high metal spawn place and just go elsewhere for metal later on?? Was just curious about if anyone else would consider this as I know doing this will highly likely wipe out the metal/crystal spawns. Not to mention mountain dino spawns like argents etc! But you can get them elsewhere.

I can go anywhere else for metal as it would be part of the story and being singleplayer I have no competition. Plus I kinda want to live in a dangerous area. My water dinos will have to be seperate when I eventually get them.

Thanks

32 minutes ago, Lockjaw said:

If it gives you the view that you want for your story then I wouldn't worry about the spawns. You can always demolish the base after you're done filming if you don't want to block them.

Thanks may go on for quite awhile as its also a gameplay series mixed into it as well! So like little story snippets at the start then it moves onto gameplay :) Found another possible location but this one is best for the view of the volcano! Weird as it may seem I am trying to do my best to plot out the story locations that will be where the main storylines go down :) still have to find the spot for the ruined farmhouse yet!

Seems fine to me as long as you don't mind the inevitable comments about violating the sanctity of resource spawns in the videos. There's plenty of metal on the map for a singe player and it's not like you'll need to be mass manufacturing anything except maybe bullets depending on your projected storyline. In your other thread you mentioned you'll have a thyla to start out with, with or without a saddle those things have great carry for their size and don't care about terrain so you already have a fantastic pack animal, which is half the battle when it comes to traveling for resources. The tape is also decent for small runs, so overall I don't think it's going to be a huge issue for you.

4 minutes ago, Cymas said:

Seems fine to me as long as you don't mind the inevitable comments about violating the sanctity of resource spawns in the videos. There's plenty of metal on the map for a singe player and it's not like you'll need to be mass manufacturing anything except maybe bullets depending on your projected storyline. In your other thread you mentioned you'll have a thyla to start out with, with or without a saddle those things have great carry for their size and don't care about terrain so you already have a fantastic pack animal, which is half the battle when it comes to traveling for resources. The tape is also decent for small runs, so overall I don't think it's going to be a huge issue for you.

Hmm didn't think about that! Still considering places as thinking maybe a little more scenic! But thanks for the suggestions

In general it's annoying to answer a question with a question but I'm going to ;) if you didn't build your mountain base like you want to, where would you build?
If you decide to not build on the mountain you'll still be travelling for metal, just not doing it in the location you want. I think it's best that you build where you want, it's more important to enjoy what you're doing. IMO you can tell when someone is creating content for the sake of creating content. Screw the loss of resources on single player you're not harming anyone, build where you want and enjoy the game/series. 

Alternatively, I don't know how you're setting up this personal game but another option is by changing the INI file you can adjust the distance in which player structures prevent resources from spawning. That's if you want the best of both worlds. (might be a little op to only walk outside your base for resources though)

5 minutes ago, Brockers said:

In general it's annoying to answer a question with a question but I'm going to  if you didn't build your mountain base like you want to, where would you build?
If you decide to not build on the mountain you'll still be travelling for metal, just not doing it in the location you want. I think it's best that you build where you want, it's more important to enjoy what you're doing. IMO you can tell when someone is creating content for the sake of creating content. Screw the loss of resources on single player you're not harming anyone, build where you want and enjoy the game/series. 

Alternatively, I don't know how you're setting up this personal game but another option is by changing the INI file you can adjust the distance in which player structures prevent resources from spawning. That's if you want the best of both worlds. (might be a little op to only walk outside your base for resources though)

Actually I have already changed the resource respawn rate! And thanks I just want to play to have fun and record it/entertain others at the same time :?

I love the concept of doing a story in single player.  I would support that series.  But honestly like these other guys are saying, just do what you feel is right in the context of your series, and since it is single player, your not hurting anyone else by building over spawns, and there are plenty of areas to build upon as well.

2 hours ago, Brockers said:

Oh wow, I completely forgot about this feature for single player. I believe there is a slide bar option for consoles, not completely sure though.

Thanks for the reminder. :Jerbhi:

Thank so everyone! First story part is recorded just have to edit it and put it together! Found an even more perfect spot whilst traveling where the scenery is gorgeous and has very beautiful sunrises/light rays! Not so many mountains parts but I am sure in the gameplay part I will come up with some awesome base. You can also still see the volcano like I wanted. 

Going to have to secure the location in the first part of gameplay. But was a good spot to end it. 

Only shame was I got lag in the redwoods which may affect the video a bit ?? not impressed about that but nothing I can do either when it's not optimised yet. But am excited to have the first story part done! Decided to do them seperate so you can watch the stories all in a row at the end if you wish.

thanks for the support and help everyone ?Appreciate it so much and I am so looking forward to making this series happen ?

if you still want to build a mountain base go for the mountain east of the vulcano it has similar view but you will have alot better visibility and alot less gamma problems compared to the redwoods. its also alot safer for your fliers. the redwoods tend to surprise you with thr wild thyla. 

can you provide a link to your channel? i want to check out your series. :)

Just now, BobRoss said:

if you still want to build a mountain base go for the mountain east of the vulcano it has similar view but you will have alot better visibility and alot less gamma problems compared to the redwoods. its also alot safer for your fliers. the redwoods tend to surprise you with thr wild thyla. 

can you provide a link to your channel? i want to check out your series. :)

Will do once I have this video uploading :) so far just procedurally generated maps etc up there! And can you name the mountain?? May move there in the next video I make for the series as since I am still editing it I can say I needed to rest so settled here briefly before continuing on :) Thanks

11 minutes ago, Zergling963 said:

Will do once I have this video uploading :) so far just procedurally generated maps etc up there! And can you name the mountain?? May move there in the next video I make for the series as since I am still editing it I can say I needed to rest so settled here briefly before continuing on :) Thanks

frozen tooth north of The Maw. 

Thanks for your help everyone! Fully finished part 1 is nowhere near done only have about 20 minutes of audio edited and the video/caption footage sitting seperate! So still have a long way to go as am going quite intricate with combining multiple different soundtracks with the voice in audacity :) However good news is soon in a seperate post and adding to this one I will be sharing a teaser of part 1 for you :) And its the suspensful first part of the story!

Hope you will like it! Will share it when done then going to sleep as I haven't slept yet! But am very happy with the first part of this story/gameplay series and really enjoyed making it :) Will share it in the video section I guess if I can find it :) But will also share it here :) Will be able to share it in around 15 minutes as its just uploading :)

8 hours ago, Chihuahuaian said:

Like others have mentioned. Though this is a gameplay/series sorta thing, the point is for content. and c'mon, even in normal singleplayer, do you build more for a area with looks? or with materials? And just to mention, it's mainly what fits the story line.

lol I always choose an area for looks lol :P Guilty as charged!

10 hours ago, Zergling963 said:

Here we go teaser for Part 1 :) Enjoy @BobRoss this will lead you to my YouTube channel :)

nicely done man im excited to see the rest, one advice, try to incorporate the text screens into your gameplay, say them while you are playing. this way you dont end up with minutes of silence with only walking around and then black text screens.

for example when opening the storage you cab say the part of 'why is all the food and stuff gone'

otherwise great work. keep it up

14 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

nicely done man im excited to see the rest, one advice, try to incorporate the text screens into your gameplay, say them while you are playing. this way you dont end up with minutes of silence with only walking around and then black text screens.

for example when opening the storage you cab say the part of 'why is all the food and stuff gone'

otherwise great work. keep it up

Will do next part! Thanks for the suggestions! Audio is hslf done voiceover complete so will do this part 2

Archived