Best Shoulder pet

SmokeyB

Id have to go with the vulture from SE, its a good early-level tame and it can harvest lots of prime meat for players while sitting on your shoulder and double its expiration timers, does a nice bit of damage in groups...

Here is what we have,
Compys: can be used better on ground in groups, die fast
dimorphodon: Good in large numbers to attack other players mounts, attacks riders, attacks small animals/insects while on neutral sitting on you.
ichthyornis: Bird that fishes when you tell it to attack a fish, can collect prime meat from small animals that don't drop it, such as dodos.
jerboa: A rat, backpack
mesopithecus: A monkey that can be used as a backpack, throws poop
microraptor: Protects you from pvp things and can dismount riders.
Pegomastax: A creature that deserves to die, backpack, thief on ground
Vulture: listed above

I would have to say I'm biased in favor of the dimorphodons. They're amazing in a pack, but even just having one can offer some pretty solid defense.

Since my earliest days in Ark I've always had one (or more) with me, and they've saved my butt many times.

I've bred mine for health and melee damage, and I wouldn't go anywhere without one.

Pego to start

Reason I say this is they have the highest weight per level gain of all the dinos, so you can load them down more with items. Not to mention taming one requires nothing but a stack of mejoberries in your 0 slot, so very soon you will have an army of them.

Dimorph later

These guys have the best attack and health, so they're a good combat mount/guardian

Situational, Monkey

If you really need that slow

Situational, Vulture

If you really like that extended spoil timer. I DO use these when I need to farm prime for tames I don't have kibble for since they extend the spoil timers.

This is my opinion...

3 hours ago, DragonEnchantress said:

Mostly all pvp shoulder mount suggestions, how about pve? I have little use for attack dinos when I'm not chasing down a person.

A dimo will attack anything close enough to melee the player. put one on your shoulder with all points in melee 700% melee ones are pretty mean :P ez mode pve caves etc. Bola one knock it out feed it mutton easiest tame there is :)

7 minutes ago, Demerus said:

I didn't know about the vulture spoil times. I'll have to look into that. Does it apply to veggie cakes as well?

You can only give vultures spoiled meat,  but they can harvest meat, prime, hide, chitin, etc from dead carcasses and they will amplify spoilage timers.. prime lasts about 35 min in one on the island. They can also have a chance of double stacking the prime they harvest.

What is best for pve protection against things like microraptors/purlovia stun's? I tamed a microraptor and they never attack off my shoulder, id have to throw it. I'd like something on my shoulder that can kill seomthing but also not get itself killed to something like a rex (i mean something that attacks small things only and leaves big dinos alone). 

9 minutes ago, GreenSoup2HoT said:

What is best for pve protection against things like microraptors/purlovia stun's? I tamed a microraptor and they never attack off my shoulder, id have to throw it. I'd like something on my shoulder that can kill seomthing but also not get itself killed to something like a rex (i mean something that attacks small things only and leaves big dinos alone). 

For microraptors if you dismount before it hits you then it won't stun. It'll fly circles around you a couple of times then land and attack letting you pike it to death. I also have my mount on neutral and follow (so it doesn't travel too far) and when it hits you it'll attack it in return. Purlovias stink cuz they stun both you and your mount but if you do the neutral and follow deal when your mount is no longer stunned it'll return an attack and wreck it for you.

On 16.4.2017 at 5:28 PM, LadyCrescent said:

I would have to say I'm biased in favor of the dimorphodons. They're amazing in a pack, but even just having one can offer some pretty solid defense.

Since my earliest days in Ark I've always had one (or more) with me, and they've saved my butt many times.

I've bred mine for health and melee damage, and I wouldn't go anywhere without one.

Elaborate plz. Do you chug it down when someone attacks you, or does it attack enemies on its own.

On 16/04/2017 at 0:40 PM, DragonEnchantress said:

Mostly all pvp shoulder mount suggestions, how about pve? I have little use for attack dinos when I'm not chasing down a person.

Vultures are decent prime/meat gatherers.

Mesopithicus are handy to carry around, messing with the settings they'll warn/protect you from various critters on foot

4 hours ago, Ep1cM0nk3y said:

You can only give vultures spoiled meat,  but they can harvest meat, prime, hide, chitin, etc from dead carcasses and they will amplify spoilage timers.. prime lasts about 35 min in one on the island. They can also have a chance of double stacking the prime they harvest.

Does the meat still spoil fast when you take it OUT of the vulture on the island?

(Haven't transferred vultures yet)

Archived