Jen's twitlonger "wrapping up development"

Milsurp

• Volunteer Moderator
On 4/14/2017 at 2:12 PM, Milsurp said:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sppntv

"everyone at Studio Wildcard is focusing on wrapping up development on the main game."

Say WHAAAAAAAAT? This thing is about half done. You've got massive problems with collision, pathfinding, AI, new game experience, terrain, dino balance, high-end game, client stability, and the list goes on and on. 

Early Access does not mean you get to keep your game in a half-alpha, half-beta state for years and then just decide "It's done, shove it out the door!". It means you get supported early on to push your game from alpha through beta to fully finished, fully polished release state where you can sell it for full price. 

Ark isn't even close to that point. 

Lol you know that's jat right not Jen. And they are talking about focusing on wrapping up the game not events. That's why he said that they would rather put efforts into the game right now rather then events. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it stands ez to say there are hundreds of bugs and issues. Too many to list. It will launch with most of them. They make new ones and don't bother fixing as they go ie, the 300 foot plants in the green house, the dinos that have a snare ability wild and should tamed but now can't be used, and the boss mechanic LAG. Culling and capping dino tames didn't help now did it? So tired of ninja nerf and the just do it and we will figure it out later model. Hate to bring up the flier nerf but why not show what you are going to do and do it instead of do it then say change is coming? Try having a parachute before the plane takes off and you decided to jump for once! Saw plenty of good things come to ark over the past 22 months but the list of bad is way to big and WC has crossed lines with the player base that can't be forgiven. Yes we are passionate because we are trying to love your game but you make it real hard to stay in this relationship when we can't trust you to do things the right way. Not your way. Your way has shown over and over that it is without logic and compassion. Your customer service is a tell tell sign of things amiss. Time to look at what is important in a long term gain. When people leave and go to new games even you, the developers and staff, we look who is responsible and will walk away from future gaming endeavors because of how things are at WC. Ask anyone that played SWG. Google is your friend.

7 hours ago, Jostabeere said:

But in most cases they cannot just say what they're worked on. NDA.

People could steal the content and release it faster, claim copyright and WC has to do something new from scratch. Just a theory, but it's possible.

More completely ridiculous statements from children who do not know how things work.  This kid is incredible.

31 minutes ago, tidalblade said:

More completely ridiculous statements from children who do not know how things work.  This kid is incredible.

Dude  no offense, but I consider you are being a little bit annoying( no offense) about this "calling everyone kid" thing Jostabeere just gave us his opinion about what someone commented. And anyways whether he is a kid or not there are 2 reasons why he/she can type whatever he/she desires:

1-) this is a game forum, where people discuss game related topics.

2-) the human being is curious by nature and he must talk things out in order to understand stuff they might not understand.

For future reference, I am 16 years old and while I might not know as much/ or anything at all as most game developers in this discussion do I try  to understand and what you guys are saying, in fact i don't need to understand anything at all, other than I love this game and will never stop enjoying it. So I come here to see what others think and I respect their comments. You might call me ignorant and/or kid for I don't care, after all, its your opinion.

58 minutes ago, SGArrinda said:

Dude  no offense, but I consider you are being a little bit annoying( no offense) about this "calling everyone kid" thing Jostabeere just gave us his opinion about what someone commented. And anyways whether he is a kid or not there are 2 reasons why he/she can type whatever he/she desires:

1-) this is a game forum, where people discuss game related topics.

2-) the human being is curious by nature and he must talk things out in order to understand stuff they might not understand.

For future reference, I am 16 years old and while I might not know as much/ or anything at all as most game developers in this discussion do I try  to understand and what you guys are saying, in fact i don't need to understand anything at all, other than I love this game and will never stop enjoying it. So I come here to see what others think and I respect their comments. You might call me ignorant and/or kid for I don't care, after all, its your opinion.

Jostabeere was trying to argue, with ME, about a point I was not making, I tried to point this out to him multiple times.  I am unsure why or how, but he keeps sticking to his position, a position that I am not even discussing.

You are right, this is a place where we can discuss the game, and our opinions.  My problem is with people who come to these forums and post things as if they are FACTS, when they not the facts.  As you said, many people come here to learn about things, however when someone is posting inaccurate assumptions about how things work, the people looking to learn something may take the false information as fact.

14 hours ago, DankestKhan said:

WC does not need to make daily posts, that's pretty unrealistic.

However they should make weekly dev diaries. It's pretty standard for many studios to do this, such as Paradox Interactive which posts a weekly dev diary for each game they are making. Devs take turns making this diary.

daily ones could work if they are really short so they don t interfere with the devs time. Yes it is unrealistic and probably not efficient since there is not something interesting enough to announce everyday. A weekly one would be a better idea, as you said.

On 4/14/2017 at 4:46 PM, eESTlane said:

think what JAT was trying to say is that main game has priority over funzies. and that's what these holiday events are, waste of development time. good for the community but ultimately pushing back the release date.

because re-pushing the exact same content as last year takes SO MUCH dev time, right? it's 100% plug and play. That development is done, it's just like a light switch. How long does it take you to turn on a light? 2 weeks?

On 4/17/2017 at 6:13 AM, Irk said:

You're reading the words "wrapping up development" and assuming it means right now, as-is, and the current game state is what we're getting.

This is not the case. Based on the context of that post, they're prioritizing wrapping up development, which just means that they're working towards their end goal, over putting out holiday events.

Based on what I read in that post, I'm taking away that they'd rather work towards a finished product than take their manpower and put it towards bringing us holiday events, which I can appreciate. You're taking a few words out of context and misinterpreting it.

They're just trying to finish the game and implement all the things that come with a final product.

I'm taking the words with the context they gave. There is no misinterpretation on my part. They want to throw those words out to the public, they need to provide the context.

I don't care about events. I care about the state of the game at release. It's not anywhere release-worthy, and I'm not talking about bug-fixing, I'm talking about implementing design. Most of the features are in alpha "it mostly works, enough for us to put to Early Access" state.

For example, almost all dino attacks are basic chicken-pecking motions. You could swap them with characters from Doom 1 and the motions would be the same. A few later dinos actually have some kind of semi-realistic attacks, and those need be spread out to the rest of the dinos where appropriate so all dinos have a realistic set of attacks. Their predator-prey relationships are wacked too, there's pest-o-mastics attacking my T-Rexes feet. There's dilos attacking Diplodicuses. Nothing about that is "wild dinosaur behavior". 

Fixing those issues is not bug-fixing, it's finishing the uncompleted design of the game. And yes, as an early backer, I get an opinion as to the game's quality. That's part of the EA deal. 

The purpose of Early Access is to support  the developer while they push the features to being finished, not leave them in EA state and call it done. That's my problem with hearing the words "wrapping up development" at this point in time. 

8 minutes ago, Milsurp said:

I'm taking the words with the context they gave. There is no misinterpretation on my part. They want to throw those words out to the public, they need to provide the context.

I don't care about events. I care about the state of the game at release. It's not anywhere release-worthy, and I'm not talking about bug-fixing, I'm talking about implementing design. Most of the features are in alpha "it mostly works, enough for us to put to Early Access" state.

What do you think "wrapping up development" meant given the context it was used in?

49 minutes ago, Irk said:

What do you think "wrapping up development" meant given the context it was used in?

Exactly what they said. Word for word. Anyone who wants to argue that what they said meant something other than what they said, are the ones who need to provide THEIR context. 

Or, you know, Wildcard could. This thread is on their forums.

3 minutes ago, Milsurp said:

Exactly what they said. Word for word. Anyone who wants to argue that what they said meant something other than what they said, are the ones who need to provide THEIR context. 

Well, all they said was that they'd rather not work on holiday events right now and instead work towards finishing the game. 

What's the fuss about? 

On 4/18/2017 at 4:12 PM, Milsurp said:

So the whole reason you made this thread was to complain that you feel WC is going to release the game with all the bugs currently present? If you are right, then I would fear for the game's health.

But I have a bit more faith that WC will actually fix at least a good chunk of the major ones BEFORE they release. I don't have facts. I just have optimism, since you know...until a WC staff speaks up, all we CAN do is speculate on everything they do or say.

That whole tweet was about him saying they will probably not release an Easter event on consoles because they want to work on the main game, or as he put it 'Wrapping up development'. To me, that EXACT phrase CAN be taken more broadly than your belief of 'they meant they will release it with all the bugs'. Do other companies like EA release games with a ton of bugs? Yes. Does it mean WC will? Only way to know is to wait and see. Comparing WC to other companies now before it even has it's first game out the door is just pointless and a waste of time, unless your whole goal is to complain (general statement btw, it's not aimed just at you).

Archived