New to imprinting - Please help!

Anarki

Ok, so we had a pair of bears (M+F), plenty of eggs in the smokehouse and thought to ourselves – lets allow these two to mate.

The result was ‘Twins!’ (M+F)

Many thanks for your congratulations all. Anyway, let’s get down to business.

A friend was left with the task of imprinting, and if it really makes a difference to you, these bears were originally 135 and 145. When tamed I believe both were 202.

The babies came out at 204’s and my friend managed to get the male to imprint but the female wouldn’t imprint even though she was eating (this is where the issue is).

Essentially, my friend was feeding the female by putting the lystro kibble in its inventory rather than the 0 slot on his task bar. I don’t know how many hrs of imprinting he missed and whether the imprinting failed on the male (he says the male was imprinting fine).

My question is this, both the twins’ stats were the same and as I haven’t experienced this whole breeding malarkey (ingame) before, I wanted to know what the impacts of imprinting are and what deterioration his failure to imprint the female baby bear will be.

A few questions if I may?

1.       Does imprinting improve the babies stats for when its full grown? If so, by how much?

2.       Does it have to have 100% imprint to improve the stats?

3.       Does the improvement to stats only count for the person who imprinted the bear and so I wont get any extra stats when I ride it?

4.       Any helpful tips on this breeding would much be appreciated.

Thanks for your assistance my fellow ARK’ers???

1. Imprinting DOES improve the stats of a fully grown dinosaur. I believe it is 30% increase when 100% imprint. Also, the person who imprinted it gets a 20% bonus to damage and damage resistance if they ride it.

2. No

3. The imprint is for all riders, the rider bonus is seperate.

4. I'm not very good on the breeding side, so I can't give any tips. Apart from if it's stats are terrible, you may want to kill it before you waste time.

1. You should see the bonus almost immediately (sometimes it takes a few minutes to proc), but if you didn't write down the pre-imprint stats you won't know exactly what they are. It does not increase the animal's base level, only the stats. (Samammo has it backwards here, it's 20% stat boost and 30% rider bonus when fully imprinted; does not affect oxygen or stamina.)

2. No, each imprint will add a percentage to the bonus. For example I have an ~84% imprinted thyla who does not have full bonus and only gets 25% rider bonus. Still a beast though.

3. The imprint stats are the animal's stats, they act as their base stats for everything except breeding--animals will not pass their imprinted stats to their offspring. The rider bonus is given only to the person who imprinted it though.

4. It's possible the male wasn't asking for kibble and the female was. It's randomized, they can ask for kibble, cuddles, or a "walk". Some animals may not ask for kibble at all, others may want nothing but kibble. So perhaps the male was just very cuddly, and the female wanted treats all the time. But if one is imprinted and one is not, they absolutely should have different stats. Your friend either failed to imprint either bear without realizing it, or they imprinted both.

It's easy enough to tell, as the stat pages of bred animals do show the imprint percentage, on PC at least. So just check the bar and see what it says. If they have the same imprint percentage they will have the same stats.

I suggest looking up a breeding guide, either the one on the wiki or a YT video, to see how it's supposed to work. Make sure your friend watches it too. ;) It's easy enough once you have it down, but intuitive is not a thing Ark really does well lol.

If babies want kibble, put it on the  last slot in your hotbar, then press E! When you imprint it only shows it on health. Every other bonus will appear when it is grown up  after the first level up or when you fly out of render distance and come back to the creature.

The other questions have been answered correctly. ;) 

Thanks for your help all.

Yes, the male was asking for cuddles if I remember correctly and that would have been why my friend said that it was imprinting. The only thing I could see on the two bears was its maturation rate? I couldnt see how many imprints it had received or a percentage - perhaps only my friend could see that. I could see the timer but that was all.

Its a first set of breeds so we will learn and yes, will look up a guide and YT vids too.

I was just trying to get a feeling as to whether imprinting was overly necessary and whether or not I got bonuses from an imprinted dino which my friend had done - shame I dont as I dont have hrs and hrs to imprint :(

If I started the imprinting session, could one of my tribemates log in 3hrs later and do the second part? If we did that to 100% would I get the rider bonus as I started the imprint?

Thanks again all

5 hours ago, Anarki said:

Thanks for your help all.

Yes, the male was asking for cuddles if I remember correctly and that would have been why my friend said that it was imprinting. The only thing I could see on the two bears was its maturation rate? I couldnt see how many imprints it had received or a percentage - perhaps only my friend could see that. I could see the timer but that was all.

Its a first set of breeds so we will learn and yes, will look up a guide and YT vids too.

I was just trying to get a feeling as to whether imprinting was overly necessary and whether or not I got bonuses from an imprinted dino which my friend had done - shame I dont as I dont have hrs and hrs to imprint :(

If I started the imprinting session, could one of my tribemates log in 3hrs later and do the second part? If we did that to 100% would I get the rider bonus as I started the imprint?

Thanks again all

Only the player that claims the baby at birth can do the imprints, other tribe mates cannot. That is why you couldn't see the other info on the babies, just your friend that claimed them and did imprints.

1. 100% imprinted baby gets 20% bonus to HP, Food, Weight, Melee and Speed (except ride-able flyers). That bonus scales if imprinting is not full, so at 25% imprinting grown adult will get 5% bonus to these stats.

2. no.

3. Rider's bonus is separate from stat bonus and is equal to 30% (at 100% imprint) extra damage and damage resistance (dont show up in stats) when person who imprinted dino is riding it. Scales down with imprinting% as well.

4. Raise babies over weekends. So you can wake up every few hours to imprint.

49 minutes ago, Valys said:

Only the player that claims the baby at birth can do the imprints, other tribe mates cannot. That is why you couldn't see the other info on the babies, just your friend that claimed them and did imprints.

You can see imprint progress if you open baby's stats: it is a bar below torpor (in new UI).

20 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

1. 100% imprinted baby gets 20% bonus to HP, Food, Weight, Melee and Speed (except ride-able flyers). That bonus scales if imprinting is not full, so at 25% imprinting grown adult will get 5% bonus to these stats.

2. no.

3. Rider's bonus is separate from stat bonus and is equal to 30% (at 100% imprint) extra damage and damage resistance (dont show up in stats) when person who imprinted dino is riding it. Scales down with imprinting% as well.

4. Raise babies over weekends. So you can wake up every few hours to imprint.

You can see imprint progress if you open baby's stats: it is a bar below torpor (in new UI).

I should have been more clear, you cannot see what it wants to imprint. You will just see that it wants care from a specific person. When you are the imprinter you see exactly what they want to imprint. Unless this changed recently?

Archived