Ichthyornis - pro and cons

tiryanabell

So, let's talk about the ichtyornis. Scoundrels they are!

According to the wiki these creatures steal from players, as does the pegomastax, only to fly away afterwards. When they steal a tool they drop it so the player can pick it up, ..., according to the wiki. Well, not according to my experience: one stole my metal pike (from hotbar 3) and flew off, over water of course, only to return about 10 min later, when I had already given up the chase. He then stole my tranq arrows (from pack). This time I was armed with bow and regular arrows, so I shoot it, over water off course. Never found my tranqs. All this time I had berries in my 10 slot (because of pego). So I put cooked meat in my 9 slot, and carry on. Later that day I encounter another ichtyornis. He stole my narcotics from my pack. 

In my opinion ichtyornis are broken. Should you have food in you hotbar, they should take that. And if you don't but have food in your pack they should take that. It does not make sense this bird steals tools, tranqs, narcotics, when there is food for the grab. They are even more a pain in the behind then pego's, those at least you can chase, kill and retrieve your items. And they tame by stealing! Why don't ichtyornis do that? With so low health you always seem to 1-shot kill them.

So no pro's so far, as I haven't been able to tame one.

i must say the seagulls give a nice edge to the beach, i've got a base on the beach and must say there are always mutliple seagulls around.

They have only stolen something from me twice and both times i was messing with them, tried to tranq one, it stole my crossbow, tried to shoot one and it took my gun. If you don't want to lose your stuff when accidently hitting them, RUN, run far and fast :D

The absolute pro on this little bird is: once tamed, you can get prime from dodo's. I have a tamed one which i use in combination with my meat gathering therizino and i can get big amounts of prime meat (22 prime from one dodo B|)

All together they are a very nice addition, a nuisance but very handy once tamed.  

• 11 months later...

These birds should be taken out of the game. Every single time I have an encounter with one, it eats the item.

If they steal anything they are not capable of eating, they shouldn't eat it.

I could understand things like berries or meat or maybe gloves things that are light.

When a fabricator is placed down, it's huge right? An Ichy should not be able to eat them.

Agreed, super annoying, but based on the comments on prime meat I may have to try taming a couple.

Tip: Like so many of the other annoying dinos, they can be dealt with if you see them coming. When they first come to attack (or if you run off and their chasing) it's pretty much a straight line until they're close. During that straight line they really aren't that bad to bola. Take one shot, if you miss run further away then try again.

On 4/11/2017 at 3:33 AM, tiryanabell said:

In my opinion ichtyornis are broken.

Both the pego and the ichthy are annoying, but honestly they're not broken, even if you're a new player. Keep in mind that this game is supposed to be dangerous and animals are supposed to be a threat, and you in turn are supposed to learn how to deal with them. That may sound basic to you, but it's a concept that a lot of people don't really get at first. ARK is dangerous, so you should play like it's dangerous.

The best way to handle ichthy's is to keep on the lookout for them and always keep bolas on your person. They're really easy to kill if you wait until they land, hit them with a bola, then run up and kill them. Mind you, I'm assuming that you have a metal spear or crossbow, and of course high level animals may present more of a threat. But a bola will hold them in place for 30 seconds, which is a long time for the purposes of being able to kill them.

When I have a low level character, I mostly avoid them until I can kill them. Then, as soon as you can get the needed resources, you want to tame one, and this is where the "pros" enter the conversation. If you want to have a really good defense against icthy's, then tame a medium to high level icthy. You carry them around on your shoulder and any time you're threatened by a wild ichthy you send your pet to kill them. They can also be used for gathering fish, but I find this slow and tedious, as far as I'm concerned their best use is as a "guard dog" against other ichthy's.

On a side note, lots of people underestimate bola's, they are a very important tool/weapon and you should get into the habit of keeping a good supply with you at all times.

Hope that helps.

Lol they are a pain. Love them though due to their ability to retrieve fish for you and the prime buff for salmon, dodos ect.  Never had them steal a tool as I've always been able to retrieve it, and I would say if they steal a stack of narcos that thing better OD or at the very least be passed out down the beach.   

Tame 10+ of them and troll down Viking bay, you can't tell me that's not fun!

On 11.4.2017 at 9:33 AM, tiryanabell said:

When they steal a tool they drop it so the player can pick it up, ..., according to the wiki. Well, not according to my experience: one stole my metal pike (from hotbar 3) and flew off, over water of course, only to return about 10 min later, when I had already given up the chase. He then stole my tranq arrows (from pack). This time I was armed with bow and regular arrows, so I shoot it, over water off course. Never found my tranqs. All this time I had berries in my 10 slot (because of pego). So I put cooked meat in my 9 slot, and carry on. Later that day I encounter another ichtyornis. He stole my narcotics from my pack.

What you describe is not how they work. So this is pretty weird, i would think you got a bugged ichthyornis there.

The Pegomastax steals and runs away.

The Ichthyornis does not do that. It does steal consumables (whole stack) and consumes it. You can't recover it, it will also not fly away but just do a circle and likly return.

It has a chance to knock the item you have equiped in your hands, out of your hands, it doesnt steel anything thats not a consumable. It will only knock it out of your hand if you hold it. That makes it very usefull in PvP to unarm your enemies.

1 hour ago, Thorium said:

it doesnt steel anything thats not a consumable. It will only knock it out of your hand if you hold it. That makes it very usefull in PvP to unarm your enemies.

Absolutely not true. Ichthyornis steals anything randomly from your inventory without warning and you do NOT have to have it equipped at the time (as does a Pego if you have nothing in slot 0).

Lost several things from water bottles, to transmitters to Ichthys in exactly this way. The Pego will keep it in its inventory, but the damn birds don't and its NEVER on the ground despite the fact it's supposed to be. I got so fed up with it on our servers I completely removed all Ichthyornis from the servers configs so they dont exist at all. On the other servers my wife and I play on, S+ auto turrets configured purely to kill any Ichthy's on sight xD

• Volunteer Moderator

I've actually found that the Ichthyornis will take anything regardless of what slot it is in, even if slot 0 contains something unlike Pego, but I have found that it will always take raw meat first from any slot, if you have no raw meat then it will take anything at random. Not sure about cooked meat, but i've always found when i have raw meat they take that before anything else. Could be coincidence, but I tested it enough times to rule out coincidence in my mind.

As for dropping non-consumables on the floor, they probably do but it instantly disappears or falls through the world. Not once have I see a bag on the floor even when I test it. Anyone that says otherwise then set up a test scenario where all you have on you is a firearm and let an Ichthyornis attack you and take it then see where the bag is.

44 minutes ago, GP said:

I've actually found that the Ichthyornis will take anything regardless of what slot it is in, even if slot 0 contains something unlike Pego, but I have found that it will always take raw meat first from any slot, if you have no raw meat then it will take anything at random. Not sure about cooked meat, but i've always found when i have raw meat they take that before anything else. Could be coincidence, but I tested it enough times to rule out coincidence in my mind.

As for dropping non-consumables on the floor, they probably do but it instantly disappears or falls through the world. Not once have I see a bag on the floor even when I test it. Anyone that says otherwise then set up a test scenario where all you have on you is a firearm and let an Ichthyornis attack you and take it then see where the bag is.

Had one take a master craft pick from my inventory on Rag 2 days ago. Found the bag a few minutes later, fairly close by. I’m not sure if it dropped it before or after I killed it though.  Was hot bar 1 item

4 minutes ago, Merlin666 said:

Had one take a master craft pick from my inventory on Rag 2 days ago. Found the bag a few minutes later, fairly close by. I’m not sure if it dropped it before or after I killed it though.  Was hot bar 1 item

Mechanic works in the sense that it just throws it out of your inventory. Never physically takes it. Just disarms you. Consumables aren't recoverable, non consumables are dropped. If you can't find them then they meshed.  Ive never had the issue of lost weapons. Dropped my ascendant longneck right on front of me and I just picked it back up.  Sorry for everyone's luck. 

I've had alot of runins with these birds and from my experience they only "take" consumables and they do so from anywhere in your inventory. if you have an item wielded they can disarm that from you to the ground.  I've never had them even aggro on me if i had no consumables, this includes walking right up to landed ones.  They can also take consumables off of unconscious dinos but not kibble, so they can mess with your tames.  They are always an early game tame for me because they can turn small things into prime meat for taming things easier as well as prove to be a good fighter against enemy ichthyornis.

Personally I kill them before they bother me so it's not terrible but I still hate them all the same. Same for Pego. I don't think it would be game breaking if they had to be a higher level than your character to steal from you then it would at least minimize the amount of possible times thieving would occur. Would that be too much to ask and seems like fair win win. If the chances of getting robbed were reduced that much I would be okay with them and pegos and I could save a lot of time from mindlessly killing almost every one of them I see because they are the spawn of satan. 

On 4/10/2018 at 7:33 AM, GeneralBigBear said:

Mechanic works in the sense that it just throws it out of your inventory. Never physically takes it. Just disarms you. Consumables aren't recoverable, non consumables are dropped. If you can't find them then they meshed.  Ive never had the issue of lost weapons. Dropped my ascendant longneck right on front of me and I just picked it back up.  Sorry for everyone's luck. 

I've had Ichy take things and not just disarm me. They completely take the item and eat it. In my experience they even steal off the mount I am on.

7 hours ago, Xxtheclashxx said:

I've had Ichy take things and not just disarm me. They completely take the item and eat it. In my experience they even steal off the mount I am on.

Again like I said. CONSUMABLES will not be recoverable. NON CONSUMABLES are DROPPED. They will not take your tek sword they'll disarm you and drop it on the ground. They will tske your, narcotics but not your bow. They'l drop it. 

Again if you'e experienced missing tools it meshed. 

Archived