Introducing the Yutyrannus!

Jatheish

1 hour ago, JeraJakerz said:

Although I agree with you - I do believe the creators/designers/owners need to understand that many of us feel the game is nearly there with just more effort needed to fix the glitches and not so much in the new content.

However, on the other side of things I, and perhaps, the developers understand in order to truly test and work on the game in the glitches arena they need the players to stick around and new content is always a good way to keep us with short attention spans playing the game....oh look squirrel-I mean microraptor!

Yeah, but since the game is still pre-release and is still in the add content before major bug wipe phase it just gets old seeing people say, "STOP ADDING CONTENT AND FIX YOUR GAME," like its just annoying for everyone at this point because the game still has MUCH more content to be added and just saying stop adding content and fix bugs is literally going to help no-one. See if they stopped to fix bugs then yeah the bugs would be fixed for a little bit maybe, at least until they went back to finish adding the content they have intended for release and something they release somehow unravels and old patch and makes an old bug re-appear (which from what I hear happens quite a bit in development of games). So as it stands now they fix the MAJOR game breaking bugs and not the little silly bugs like dinos disappearing( I get that may not seem minor but since it in no way, shape, or form keeps you from playing the game it isn't game breaking) so that way they can get through the content faster without having to worry about unraveling hours and hours of work in one patch. Patience is in short supply in this community, which I in no way understand since we all knew the exact same thing about it being unfinished.

On 4/11/2017 at 10:53 AM, Currahee said:

I think this is exactly what the war drums should do too.

Hell yes. Imagine, half a dozen massive war brontos, loaded down with cannons, catapault turrets, ballista turrets, and twenty guys all armed to the teeth. Rexes stomping everywhere. In the middle of the pack of brontos lumbering towards your base, is a single bronto with a platform bronto with a ring of wardrums, and painted maniacs pounding on them. Now, it would be terrifying if each wardrum player added +5% to a max of 25% buff to damage and defense on tribe dinos within a caertain radius.

Think the wardrum guys would be the first to go? It would add an interesting aspect to the game, for sure.

10 hours ago, UDGxKnight said:

Yeah, but since the game is still pre-release and is still in the add content before major bug wipe phase it just gets old seeing people say, "STOP ADDING CONTENT AND FIX YOUR GAME," like its just annoying for everyone at this point because the game still has MUCH more content to be added and just saying stop adding content and fix bugs is literally going to help no-one. See if they stopped to fix bugs then yeah the bugs would be fixed for a little bit maybe, at least until they went back to finish adding the content they have intended for release and something they release somehow unravels and old patch and makes an old bug re-appear (which from what I hear happens quite a bit in development of games). So as it stands now they fix the MAJOR game breaking bugs and not the little silly bugs like dinos disappearing( I get that may not seem minor but since it in no way, shape, or form keeps you from playing the game it isn't game breaking) so that way they can get through the content faster without having to worry about unraveling hours and hours of work in one patch. Patience is in short supply in this community, which I in no way understand since we all knew the exact same thing about it being unfinished.

Question: Why is "new content" limited to additional items, creatures, structures, etc?

Because it really shouldn't be. 

When was the last time the devs added something substantially different and meaningful in terms of gameplay? ARK is still essentially the same game it was back in June of 2015. Breeding? That's just an extra time-sink to stack on top of taming. Nothing really new. Your Giga with better stats is still just a Giga. Tek tier? It's at least a semi-formed reason to progress to the level cap, but people were already motivated to do that anyway, and in terms of function Tek items really only add to the PvP griefing platform... which was already effectively complete from the get-go.

I'm definitely willing to appreciate new content, but not redundant, narrow-minded content that creates an entirely new niche for something that really ought to apply to multiple creatures as a blanket mechanic. It's like when the devs rejected the idea of a pack bonus for raptors simply because the Allosaurus was getting one.

I agree that simply crying over spilt milk isn't constructive, but I also think that this whole "it's still in early development content-dumping!" excuse is also getting worn out. Content dumping is fine, but it would be nice to see some semblance of design coherence and overall direction applied to said content. It would also be nicer to see some content dumped into the areas of the game that are actually lacking at the moment instead of yet more dinos to cram onto an already-overcrowded map.

Essentially, what I'm trying to say is that there needs to be a line drawn in the sand. ARK is already long overdue for its original scheduled release, and while the reasons for that make sense, one would think that the devs might do well to address how they intend to deal with that delay and start working toward making up the time that was lost. Give us something, anything to show us that they can do more than simply brainstorm.

I have yet to see anything like that, and it's making me more and more concerned that ARK is going to lapse into development Hell. Not the kind where the creators are out of money, but the kind where the creators aren't entirely sure how they want to finish up. I really don't want to see the ARK devs draw this process out for another five years before slapping a "finished" sticker on a rough and cobbled-together product because they're bored and want to go do something else.

13 hours ago, DiabolusUrsus said:

Question: Why is "new content" limited to additional items, creatures, structures, etc?

Because it really shouldn't be. 

When was the last time the devs added something substantially different and meaningful in terms of gameplay? ARK is still essentially the same game it was back in June of 2015. Breeding? That's just an extra time-sink to stack on top of taming. Nothing really new. Your Giga with better stats is still just a Giga. Tek tier? It's at least a semi-formed reason to progress to the level cap, but people were already motivated to do that anyway, and in terms of function Tek items really only add to the PvP griefing platform... which was already effectively complete from the get-go.

I'm definitely willing to appreciate new content, but not redundant, narrow-minded content that creates an entirely new niche for something that really ought to apply to multiple creatures as a blanket mechanic. It's like when the devs rejected the idea of a pack bonus for raptors simply because the Allosaurus was getting one.

I agree that simply crying over spilt milk isn't constructive, but I also think that this whole "it's still in early development content-dumping!" excuse is also getting worn out. Content dumping is fine, but it would be nice to see some semblance of design coherence and overall direction applied to said content. It would also be nicer to see some content dumped into the areas of the game that are actually lacking at the moment instead of yet more dinos to cram onto an already-overcrowded map.

Essentially, what I'm trying to say is that there needs to be a line drawn in the sand. ARK is already long overdue for its original scheduled release, and while the reasons for that make sense, one would think that the devs might do well to address how they intend to deal with that delay and start working toward making up the time that was lost. Give us something, anything to show us that they can do more than simply brainstorm.

I have yet to see anything like that, and it's making me more and more concerned that ARK is going to lapse into development Hell. Not the kind where the creators are out of money, but the kind where the creators aren't entirely sure how they want to finish up. I really don't want to see the ARK devs draw this process out for another five years before slapping a "finished" sticker on a rough and cobbled-together product because they're bored and want to go do something else.

You do realize that everything in this game is getting ready to be re-worked basically right? Like your post isn't even necessary if you really thought about it. You want new mechanics? For what? You can't just preach " WHERE ARE THE NEW MECHANICS?!" and not give them any ideas when they always ask for them. The game already has basically what it is all about in it, other than maybe some fancier stuff down the line. All the old creatures are getting TLC passes to make them more relevant and give them slight redesigns. You can't complain about wanting new mechanics to entertain you and then say the new mechanic isn't new just cuz it isn't what you wanted. Breeding is a perfectly acceptable mechanic that I thoroughly enjoy, especially with the NEW color mutation mechanic. More dinos give people more options, and as for the map being overcrowded lol what cuz frankly there are still parts of the map that stay bare besides the fact that I would guess they could do a dino spawn TLC pass (not necessary but meh). The devs have their plan for how the game should finish I'm sure (this isn't the kind of game that "finishes" anyway) but I don't see why that is a concern. The game could literally release today and be fine but they have a vision for the content they want in the base game on release and with the fact that there are only 9 creatures with dossiers left to release, which is a minimum of two more updates(possibly 3) I would say its pretty freaking close on being done with content and focusing bug fixes and TLC. 

This sounds rude but meh its just how it is, you gotta understand. I also never said that content was limited to items or creatures (not sure where you got that from) and  my entire argument is literally just about being tired of people complaining about nothing and not helping the devs out even though they claim the devs need to do this and this for them. What exactly compelled you to comment on a post that was not meant for you in any way unless you are one of these people?

Edited by UDGxKnight

5 hours ago, UDGxKnight said:

This sounds rude but meh its just how it is, you gotta understand. I also never said that content was limited to items or creatures (not sure where you got that from) and  my entire argument is literally just about being tired of people complaining about nothing and not helping the devs out even though they claim the devs need to do this and this for them. What exactly compelled you to comment on a post that was not meant for you in any way unless you are one of these people?

Okay, I'll bite.

1. New mechanic: changing climate via seasons (even if it's not enough to cause total scenery changes, cyclic shifts in minimum/maximum temperatures and weather patterns) that make it so survivors need to consider stockpiling food for the harsher months.
  • Sub-mechanic of seasons: advanced farming.

Instead of limiting players to throwing down a bunch of crop plots, introduce a new item: tilling markers. Place them, configure how they should connect, and the space in-between them on the ground is re-textured into a tilled field capable of growing crops. Players can still create greenhouses with plots, but this allows survivors to produce larger quantities of food at a time. Tilling markers could also be affected by the type of ground available in different parts of the island. Growing things in the snow biome or on a mountainside is going to yield less than say, a fertile and temperate field.

• Sub-mechanic of seasons: advanced food & preservation.

Spoil-timers are already in need of a serious rework, but with the need to stockpile food survivors need options for making food items last longer. Dried vegetables and fruits, better primitive refrigeration, and different types of meat yielded from different creatures. If flesh from an insect or dilo is less satiating/downright poisonous, survivors might have a reason to consider hunting some of the larger creatures. It would also be nice to see the possibility for actual "fish farms" of Coels, etc. This system would have a lot of room for expansion that I'm not going to drone on about here.

• Sub-mechanic of seasons: advanced creature behaviors.

An interesting way to mix things up in terms of survival knowledge would be to have different creatures change their behavior depending on the season. For example, certain herbivores might become much more aggressive and violent during a breeding season in the spring, or certain carnivores might be particularly active during spring and summer but hibernate during winter. This would go hand-in-hand with polishing up the food-chain relationships between the various creatures already in-game so that the PvE experience is something a little different than getting periodically (or constantly, in some areas) mobbed by a ragtag interspecies alliance of the island's carnivores.

Keep in mind that this is a rough concept that doesn't even begin to cover all of its bases, but this alone would start fleshing out the rather neglected "survival" aspect of "ARK: Survival Evolved," and done correctly it might start building a foundation of PvP motivations beyond simply griefing for the sake of griefing. It also took me all of 5 minutes to brainstorm.

But you kinda missed the point as to why I dismissed breeding as a worthwhile mechanic. Technically speaking, yes, it is a mechanic. But it's a crappy mechanic, because there's nothing really significant it brings to the table. More tamed creatures? We already have those. Grind? There's already plenty of that. It's not like you can do anything different with bred creatures as opposed to wild creatures. I'm glad you enjoy breeding, but you have to be honest about what it really is: a time-sink, and nothing more. Provided you enjoy it, it will distract you from exactly how empty and meaningless the rest of the game currently is. If you don't particularly enjoy it, though, you're poop out of luck because there's no real reason to do it if you don't care about special coloring or superfluous stat increases. It'd be one thing if your tames had a life cycle and you needed to replace them every once in a while, but they don't. 

That's also kinda beside the point.

It's not actually unreasonable to claim that the devs need to do a, b, and/or c without offering up an example every single time because they are the devs. It's their job to build a complete game. I'll be happy to comment on planned features or roughly-implemented ones with ideas for improvement, but it's kinda unfair to expect the community to come up with all the ideas, don't you think? Or are you suggesting that it's acceptable for the devs to have such a narrow consciousness of their own product that they need players to spell out what's missing?

It's all well and good to say "well they're almost done with all the dossiers," but didn't they just release a new one? What makes you think they won't simply continue to do that?

Note that I'm not even complaining about bugs. I just want for there to be more to ARK than "tame X dino to harvest Y resource." Yes, there's PvP and all that jazz, but if the PvE side of the game had a more complex set of concerns and motivations the PvP might actually start to be worthwhile. As it is now players PvP just because, and PvE is just a hurdle to be swept aside in preparation for joining the griefing.

Why did I comment on your post?

Because it embodied that kind of mentality that I think is damaging to the game because it enables the sort of directionless development we're seeing. Sure, the game is still in EA and sure, things are still subject to change. But I haven't seen any indication that they will change, which is why I'm concerned whenever I see whatever pointless new hype-generator has been announced.

Nothing against you, personally, I'm just fed up with the pot calling the kettle black because waving around the EA excuse without questioning how things are actually progressing is just as pointless as suggesting that development should be completely halted just to fix bugs.