Q1 for pc hosting for consoles?

1 hour ago, Xepherys said:

I'm new to ARK, and this is exactly the question I'm looking for answers to.  I'd even happily pay $5/mo (or maybe even $10) to "rent" a dedicated server for PS4 for my friends and family.  Great game, but the hosting options on console are pretty awful.

I was waiting for the same thing, but after looking into it, most places say they will charge $15 per month.  With the price of new ps4s being as low as it is, I figured it was a better investment to just buy a new ps4 and host my own server. If you can pick up a used ps4 you will be in even better shape.   You do not need to buy a second copy of the game and you do not need to buy a second ps plus sub, all you need is the second ps4 and you are good to go.

My wife and I are waiting for this too, not to mention our 3 friends. We tried to all joined an official server and the lag was so insane we quit. 3 of us tried again on a newer server with less people. But people had already built pillars and garbage everywhere so we couldn't even find a nice spot to enjoy the game. Then it crashed, and we quit it. We were thinking of buying an extra ps4, psn, and game... but figured we'd rather wait for this PC server thing. Just... you know, they said it looked promising 5 MONTHS ago... sooo... can we test a beta? From what I hear, I bet the beta would still be less glitchy/crashy than the dedicated PS4 servers, lol. Let us know guys. We'd love to even test beta PC servers for PS4

1 hour ago, bokile said:

My wife and I are waiting for this too, not to mention our 3 friends. We tried to all joined an official server and the lag was so insane we quit. 3 of us tried again on a newer server with less people. But people had already built pillars and garbage everywhere so we couldn't even find a nice spot to enjoy the game. Then it crashed, and we quit it. We were thinking of buying an extra ps4, psn, and game... but figured we'd rather wait for this PC server thing. Just... you know, they said it looked promising 5 MONTHS ago... sooo... can we test a beta? From what I hear, I bet the beta would still be less glitchy/crashy than the dedicated PS4 servers, lol. Let us know guys. We'd love to even test beta PC servers for PS4

You only need another ps4 btw (to run only as a server). You don't need another copy of game / psn

On 4/29/2017 at 6:49 AM, Symonator said:

Looking unlikely now, they have stopped responding on twitter and support about it.
I run a player dedi which is usually quite busy but the ps4 just can't cope with the data. Once it's about 30 players the server performance goes out the window.
I was told specfically end of jan if no problems. So we are way past that.

So 30 people? Sounds about the same as the PS4 official servers. 

When my friend wasn't hosting on her ps4, I decided to accept an invitation to a tribe her son was in on one of the official PvE servers. Got to say, that experience was much worse. I started in early May and things were tough on the weekends when the servers would have 30-40 people but fairly ok during the week. Since school has let out, if the server goes above 40 people, it isn't worth logging in. If I do, I can expect to rubberband, disconnect, and/or have rollbacks (where the server seems to crash and refreshes from its last state).

Tired of taking 5 minutes to walk 50 ft, tired of hunting for meat, just to have the server rollback and all that time gone. 

I am probably going to abandon playing on the PS4 entirely, and probably the last money I will throw at Wildcard. And probably the last time I will back a "non-finished" game. Sad because the game has some great potential.

1.) Ps4 Hosting is bullpoop if no long term play is possible. And its actually not possible, it needs fixed
2.) I go to xbox x on release from this machine, good bye sony, raptor you

#1 is recommended to fix to do 2.)

There is a massive problem mit savegame. On pc there are tools to fix this. This tools never bei available on PS4.

BR Tom

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've tried several times under several accounts to reach out to Jat, Jeremy, or Jen asking about pc hosting for ps4. I just want an answer so I can either extend my patience or give up hope on the game. Official PVE runs like garbage honestly. Too many people building elaborate oversized bases, too close together, lag spikes, and the game hitting stop and go FPS anytime you try to travel around the ark. Not to mention blue screens left and right when being in the vicinity of large bases which is unavoidable as neighbors have no knowledge that building elaborate structures impacts performance. They also have no incentive to stay out of render distance on pve unless they're educated about how this all works (people rarely do). I have a proper server that is sitting here waiting to be loaded. The announcement here - https://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/12/06/ark-survival-evolved-out-today-on-ps4/

discusses them working on it but 8 months of politely asking for info and being ignored, I've honestly lost my patience on this. I'd like to play the game with friends, I think it's a great concept. But the execution on official servers (pve especially) along with the attitude of the devs honestly have me feeling ripped off here. They have a habit of answering things that pump their ego, or some of them have habit of responding sarcastically to customers but they just ignore honest important questions, many of which they opened the door to but fail to discuss. Can we get an update? Can I use this server sitting at my house or should I move on? Thanks

Well it finally happens: 

PC Hosted Servers:

Yup, you heard it. As of the 8th of August, we will finally have support for PC hosted dedicated servers on console. We won’t be renting or hosting them ourselves, it isn’t a commercial venture for us, but we will be doing the technical work needed to get this underway. Initially, they will be available via Nitrado! (It’ll come to other third party hosts once we go through this initial technical-iteration phase, as we want to ensure its stability).

These servers will be available on both Xbox One and PlayStation 4 and if you haven’t realised, here’s why this is so awesome:

• No need for a second console to host private servers!
  • Complete access to all of ARKs custom server config settings, which will let players change the rules on their custom ARKs
  • The option to create cross ARK Clusters for the ultimate ARK Experience -- allowing travel across four Maps
  • Create a backup of server save files, allowing players to try something new without the fear of losing data
  • The servers will result in higher performance due to better optimisation
  • Player servers will now be able to support a larger pool of players, up to 100 concurrent users!
  • At a later date, these will also be Play Anywhere compatible!

For those of you wondering about repurposed console Legacy Official Servers, you will be able to take the save file and set up an Unofficial Server using this.

Nitrado will be contacting those who show interest in console servers on the 8th of August via email, you can notify them here: http://nitra.do/arkconsole

Let them know if you are keen, so they can properly estimate demand! 

Cheers guys, finally a little bit of an answer. Cheers though, great job and thanks for finally answering. One important part I'm not seeing clarity on is the post says it'll be coming to nitrado and then other third party hosts. Are we still eventually going to get the option to self host those of us with the knowledge and server class machines? Thank you, great job. 

On 20.7.2017 at 8:08 PM, Westylakey said:

Can we transfer our ps4 server data over though? Or transfer our items and dinos if I rent a server rather than host on 2nd console.

For those of you wondering about repurposed console Legacy Official Servers, you will be able to take the save file and set up an Unofficial Server using this.

On 21.7.2017 at 5:41 AM, Musoka said:

Cheers guys, finally a little bit of an answer. Cheers though, great job and thanks for finally answering. One important part I'm not seeing clarity on is the post says it'll be coming to nitrado and then other third party hosts. Are we still eventually going to get the option to self host those of us with the knowledge and server class machines? Thank you, great job. 

Self Hosting will not come:

For PlayStation, the reason you're not able to host on your own PC is due to security reasons. It requires secure tokens to communicate with the service which we're not able to distribute publicly but can do so to authorised host providers.

On 7/24/2017 at 3:08 AM, cyberrambo said:

Self Hosting will not come:

For PlayStation, the reason you're not able to host on your own PC is due to security reasons. It requires secure tokens to communicate with the service which we're not able to distribute publicly but can do so to authorised host providers.

Wow, thanks for the official word and huge letdown given this was announced on ps blog. Time to let go of the hopes for this game. At least finally a straight forward answer and I can stop telling friends we might all be able to enjoy this experience together on my small server stack. Teach me to invest in early access.

Sincerely I hope you guys get the game working on official Ps4 in a semi decent fashion. Honestly the game stutters and freezes even more now after the long worked on patch. Really wanted to be supportive and fun part of the community but this game just really came up short on the ps4 port. It has issues for whatever reason on the console to begin with. Furthermore it's not usable in any fun way on pve official servers. They're overburdened by structures right next to each other everywhere since pve mechanics you don't have to worry about your neighbor destroying your base so people build crap everywhere.

t's not an exaggeration to say the game can freeze for 30 seconds to a minute while traveling to load in bases everywhere on the platform. I hope you guys seriously think about and resolve this issue. You've built an unusable product, maybe downgrade animal and environmental polygon count, texture quality etc on console, change the way pve works in terms of building radius or some other limitations or make the engine a hell of a lot smoother or honestly the game will fail. And I don't want it to, it's such an amazing concept, just the execution sucks on the platform. Are ps4 users supposed to just give in to the fact that the challenge is in surviving the lag as the game rubber bands, loads, and catches up? Or will we ever be able to enjoy being able to actually run and escape, explore freely without worrying about abs planning for the periodic lag spikes that occur? Thank you for clarity finally... 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived