Writhes

I'm so confused with the logic behind the kibble for this dinosaur. Let me explain and someone please tell me if I'm missing something here...

Ok, so these things are basically equal to an AC but in the form of a dinosaur. What I do not understand is why it was necessary for the developers to make it so that a 120 dimetrodon would require half the kibble of what a giganotosaurus would require... Thing is that I can already fly around in the snow biome naked on a quetzal by creating a 2x2 structure just behind rider location and tucking in 4 air conditioners behind the wall next to the quetzal rider location. The point is that the quetzals that make the egg to tame a dimetrodon can already do its job ridiculously better than the dimetrodon itself if the player chooses to make such a platform on a quetzal that is...

So WHY.... WHY would you require a superior dino to tame a lesser dino.

The only logical thing in my mind would be that a dimetrodon could serve the role of mobile air conditioning for lower end players but that was completely ruined by this terribly stupid kibble decision. I'm just simply baffled here. Someone please set me straight and don't tell me these things are useful for caves. No one needs these things getting in their way when bats and scorpions are attacking when you can just use special food for temporary insulation in caves.

14 minutes ago, Writhes said:

I'm so confused with the logic behind the kibble for this dinosaur. Let me explain and someone please tell me if I'm missing something here...

Ok, so these things are basically equal to an AC but in the form of a dinosaur. What I do not understand is why it was necessary for the developers to make it so that a 120 dimetrodon would require half the kibble of what a giganotosaurus would require... Thing is that I can already fly around in the snow biome naked on a quetzal by creating a 2x2 structure just behind rider location and tucking in 4 air conditioners behind the wall next to the quetzal rider location. The point is that the quetzals that make the egg to tame a dimetrodon can already do its job ridiculously better than the dimetrodon itself if the player chooses to make such a platform on a quetzal that is...

So WHY.... WHY would you require a superior dino to tame a lesser dino.

The only logical thing in my mind would be that a dimetrodon could serve the role of mobile air conditioning for lower end players but that was completely ruined by this terribly stupid kibble decision. I'm just simply baffled here. Someone please set me straight and don't tell me these things are useful for caves. No one needs these things getting in their way when bats and scorpions are attacking when you can just use special food for temporary insulation in caves.

I must admit it does sort of seem odd, I have not used the dino yet. Sometimes the developers have almost "Secrets" with the dinos that make them actually extremely useful. I am not sure if this is the case or not

But remember the developers have us here for feedback, So this is good that you say this. We are all free to share our opinions, Lets try and not be rude everybody ok :D

Just brain storming though, In my thought I think the "Secret" use is that it can be perfect for eggs. I am not sure how useful that would be to someone that likes breeding alot though

^_^

26 minutes ago, Samula said:

I must admit it does sort of seem odd, I have not used the dino yet. Sometimes the developers have almost "Secrets" with the dinos that make them actually extremely useful. I am not sure if this is the case or not

But remember the developers have us here for feedback, So this is good that you say this. We are all free to share our opinions, Lets try and not be rude everybody ok :D

Just brain storming though, In my thought I think the "Secret" use is that it can be perfect for eggs. I am not sure how useful that would be to someone that likes breeding alot though

^_^

so your saying primitive server incubation? Meh... I guess I can understand why they exist but I still cant grasp the point of these things requiring quetzal kibble. Quetzal eggs are probably near the peak of its "circle of life tree" next to giga eggs. Unless you are taming a lot of low level quetzals for eggs then you are already up to your neck with breeding before you can tame high level dimetrodons.

I guess its cool and all that they made a way to incubate on primitive servers but their kibble still makes absolutely no sense to me other than perhaps the devs are intend for players to search for low level dimetrodons instead high level ones similar to ovi raptors.

• Volunteer Moderator

Dimes are useful on primitive, since they don't have gens or AC, and my guess is that is there primary reason to exist.

However, even though I have a huge room for hatching eggs, with about a dozen AC units, I have found a use for the dimes for certain type of hatchings.  I put the dimes in a U pattern(as best as you can), just outside the main building.  When the eggs is ready to hatch, I grab it, take it to the dimes, and drop it there, to let it finish.  This is good for some of the bigger eggs, as you don't have to mess with trying to lead it out of the hatchery and building after it hatches.  Gigas are especailly a pain in the bottom when it comes to having them follow you. 

I used this very method on Monday to hatch 3 giga eggs(which netted 4) and 4 Q eggs(which netted 5), and I did not have to fool with trying to lead them out of my main building.

As for the taming, using kibble just means you finish faster, and, for what it is worth, get a dino that will be a little better.  They may not be great defenders, but if they are forced into the role, then having them be a little tougher does not hurt.

I have plenty of Q kibble, so I used it to save time, as dimes require a bit of baby sitting because of the fast topor drop; and unlike a giga, they don't have a massive topor pool for you to spam stack narcotics.

• 2 weeks later...

I am voicing my agreement that Quetz kibble seems like a very high cost for this dino.  The fact that they burn through so much narcotic makes it so you can not feasibly tame one until you have a supply of kibble.  I suggest that they make it Compy kibble instead.  It is currently not being used by anything and would fit in with the lore of them eating smaller creatures.

Remember that kibble is part of the devs 'circle of life' idea they have for taming creatures. At some point it has to come back around meaning something is gonna need the big dino eggs. If you think about the Dimetrodon's AC effect then take into consideration building the generator, the power lines, the outlet box, the AC unit. Putting it in a structure because thats where its the most effective so you have that extra cost. Not to mention GAS even with the recent prices (am I right?)

You get ALL of that with one dinosaur you only need to feed some meat every now and then. Remember right now its effect is baseline no matter what lvl it is, you don't need a 120 dimetrodon to get the same effect as having an entire base setup. All you need is narcotics, some arrows and meat and maybe an hour and a half to get the AC. How long do you think it would take any one person or tribe who isn't already established to farm up the materials for it. To me it kinda fits the cost of using Quetz eggs cause lets be honest, your not gonna kibble tame a 120 unless your going for the prestige of it.

Or of course if they start scaling certain dino abilities based on its wild levels... but even then I think its a relevant kibble.

I was guessing it was Quetz kibble because it was intended as a low end dino - at some point the high end eggs are going to have to wrap around and be for lower tier stuff simply because there is nothing higher tier for it to be kibble for. And since their main use is as an air conditioner, the logic may have been that no-one would kibble it anyway, so just assign it a high-end kibble as a throwaway option.

The real issue I see with it is the torpor drop - not only does it require lots of narcotics (which is ok really), but it requires constant watching. Why is something which is primarily useful before you get electricity such an obnoxious tame? For that matter, why are any dinos such obnoxious tames?

tl;dr: Yes, Dimetrodon is retarded, most recent new dinos are retarded, most recent new items are retarded, devs are retarded.

13 hours ago, Vohjiin said:

Remember that kibble is part of the devs 'circle of life' idea they have for taming creatures. At some point it has to come back around meaning something is gonna need the big dino eggs. If you think about the Dimetrodon's AC effect then take into consideration building the generator, the power lines, the outlet box, the AC unit. Putting it in a structure because thats where its the most effective so you have that extra cost. Not to mention GAS even with the recent prices (am I right?)

You get ALL of that with one dinosaur you only need to feed some meat every now and then. Remember right now its effect is baseline no matter what lvl it is, you don't need a 120 dimetrodon to get the same effect as having an entire base setup. All you need is narcotics, some arrows and meat and maybe an hour and a half to get the AC. How long do you think it would take any one person or tribe who isn't already established to farm up the materials for it. To me it kinda fits the cost of using Quetz eggs cause lets be honest, your not gonna kibble tame a 120 unless your going for the prestige of it.

Or of course if they start scaling certain dino abilities based on its wild levels... but even then I think its a relevant kibble.

If someone is not in an established tribe, they are not breeding. Simple as that. Breeding takes a lot of time and resources to do.

As someone in an established tribe, it does not take very long to get those requirements. The AC also gives a bit more insulation than a dimetrodon does.

I need about 6 ACs to hatch all sorts of eggs, and I am in a neutral temp zone. So someone would need about  dimetrodons adding up to about 6 hours of work with prime meat for a bunch of low level ones.

47 minutes ago, Leonhardt said:

This. Save your kibble for the dinos you're actually going to go out and use, not the ones that sit at your base forever and do nothing.

I feel ya on this...

got a couple Tribemates who keep us at our tame limit because they think the dino's are pretty, or are collecting them as trophies.

2 hours ago, Grognak said:

I feel ya on this...

got a couple Tribemates who keep us at our tame limit because they think the dino's are pretty, or are collecting them as trophies.

Freaking tribemates, we already have 7 goddamed rexes that sit here and do nothing we don't need another one

Stop breeding the freaking dragons and not killing the ones you don't want

STOP WASTING THE TRANQ DARTS ON USELESS CRAP

2 minutes ago, Leonhardt said:

Freaking tribemates, we already have 7 goddamed rexes that sit here and do nothing we don't need another one

Stop breeding the freaking dragons and not killing the ones you don't want

STOP WASTING THE TRANQ DARTS ON USELESS CRAP

True that.

How exactly does the tame limit work?

Cause I've actually made a tally of all of our dinos and it comes out to 96 individual dino's but all the forum mods say that 120 is the limit (for PC and Xbox).

Do some dinos count as 2 or 3 towards that 120 limit?

3 minutes ago, Grognak said:

True that.

How exactly does the tame limit work?

Cause I've actually made a tally of all of our dinos and it comes out to 96 individual dino's but all the forum mods say that 120 is the limit (for PC and Xbox).

Do some dinos count as 2 or 3 towards that 120 limit?

Hell if I know. I always sell off or purge our dinos when my namby pamby tribemates aren't on.

10 hours ago, Sir Collin said:

If someone is not in an established tribe, they are not breeding. Simple as that. Breeding takes a lot of time and resources to do.

As someone in an established tribe, it does not take very long to get those requirements. The AC also gives a bit more insulation than a dimetrodon does.

I need about 6 ACs to hatch all sorts of eggs, and I am in a neutral temp zone. So someone would need about  dimetrodons adding up to about 6 hours of work with prime meat for a bunch of low level ones.

That's the thing though many players are trying to breed regardless if they are well established or not. I see it all the time, players are breeding many of their low lvl dinos to get slightly higher lvl ones (instead of just taming them), these are not people breeding 120 near perfect tames. But indeed 'well' established tribes would rather just use AC's instead of taming Dimetrodons but I would assume these creatures are meant for the tribes just establishing themselves of mid player levels.

At that point again you don't need to tame a perfect 120 to get it's effect and be useful. You can take these with you when your going out to tame your first mammoth in the snow biome and be VERY useful, but why use Quetz kibble? As I said if the devs are going for their circle of life idea in the end it has to come back around with one of the high tier dino's eggs being needed for a lower tier one. Think of it in the terms of a 'Gold sink' popularly used in other games, you don't NEED a 120 dimetrodon, unless as I suggested it's effect scaled with it's lvl, any level will do for what is functionality provides. You don't HAVE to use kibble, prime meat works just as fine.

But all this could change, kibble has been changed around before and when we get close to the final number of creatures added int he ARK I suspect a lot of kibble will be rearranged when the dino tiers are more layed out.

Archived