Re-balancing the Fliers, Mk. 2!

TheRightHand

I forsee:

Noone will ever hatch wyvern anymore - EVER.

NO sane person will stay up 4 days in a row, breaking their neck to get the required wyvernmilk, to end up with a phiomia of the skies...

Taming a wyvern is now the most stupid way of wasting your time in this game.

They have been absolutely fine with 2 exceptions that needed to ne nerfed:

1.) Their BASE movementspeed badly needed a 50% cut

2.) The Lightning wyvern stamina regain time needed to be increased 1 second (otherwise you have been able to constantly breathe the electroshock without losing stam)

ALL THE REST OF THEM MAJESTIC CREATURES HAVE BEEN ABSOLUTELY FINE.

Since i am breeding 42 rex at once on a official pve server at the moment, i know what i am talking about... feeding em is i REAL pain in the ass.

You may now ask me why i need so many lvl 350+ rex... well, ever heared of those things called "bosses" where you easily lose 20 rex on the following things:

- A lag

- A game crash

- A server crash

- Getting stuck

- Not getting teleported but your rex do

- Your rex stuck in the boss corpse and die

Forgive me if i forgot sth.

But also remember that you have to kill the bosses HUNDRETS of times to build a properly designed base with tek.

That means the risk of losing THOUSANDS of handbreeded rex too.

I call that game unplayable and stop everyone i can from buying it.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Sky.NET said:

I forsee:

Noone will ever hatch wyvern anymore - EVER.

NO sane person will stay up 4 days in a row, breaking their neck to get the required wyvernmilk, to end up with a phiomia of the skies...

Taming a wyvern is now the most stupid way of wasting your time in this game.

They have been absolutely fine with 2 exceptions that needed to ne nerfed:

1.) Their BASE movementspeed badly needed a 50% cut

2.) The Lightning wyvern stamina regain time needed to be increased 1 second (otherwise you have been able to constantly breathe the electroshock without losing stam)

ALL THE REST OF THEM MAJESTIC CREATURES HAVE BEEN ABSOLUTELY FINE.

Since i am breeding 42 rex at once on a official pve server at the moment, i know what i am talking about... feeding em is i REAL pain in the ass.

You may now ask me why i need so many lvl 350+ rex... well, ever heared of those things called "bosses" where you easily lose 20 rex on the following things:

- A lag

- A game crash

- A server crash

- Getting stuck

- Not getting teleported but your rex do

- Your rex stuck in the boss corpse and die

Forgive me if i forgot sth.

But also remember that you have to kill the bosses HUNDRETS of times to build a properly designed base with tek.

That means the risk of losing THOUSANDS of handbreeded rex too.

I call that game unplayable and stop everyone i can from buying it.

completely agree. 100%

I try to understand both sides of the fence after the Nerf, the developers point of view and then the veteran players that got used to over powered flyers. I've been playing long myself and believe me, this is quiet an update to try and get used to.

I've been reading a lot of posts and was then wondering, can't you make it that imprinted birds also gets a buff / bonus say on weight, stamina and speed (not just melee and defense)?

I believe that something like that would most certainly bring back the need to tame and breed flyers again to try and access these buffs, just think a 100% imprinted Argy will fly 30% faster and a 100% imprinted Quetz would last a 3rd longer in the sky and would be able to pickup a 3rd more weight if the imprinted rider is on it.

Just some thoughts on how to try and make it better :)

Thanks for reading this.

1 hour ago, MaximumCat said:

My whole private server quit the game within 2 days after 256. We'd been playing ARK together for 2 years. I'm not even certain the "Classic Flyers" mod will bring any of them back at this point. We installed it on our server, but it did not help. The players' confidence in ARK's dev team was crushed. Many from my server grumbled a bit about some past nerfs, but they did not quit, or even threaten to, until now. Even the inexcusable auto-dismount from flyers upon lagging out/getting disconnected/crashing - which all of us hate with a passion (why/how did that ever become a thing?)... Not even the disappearing-dinos bug.. which we hate even more... those were unable to shake my server's player-base.

The people who left have families, careers, and no time for an overly-tedious grind. That is what the game has become since 256. All the other aspects of ARK's grind, we were able to tailor to suit our play style, and more importantly, our time-constraints. 

I believe the intention was good... but the effect has been catastrophic for our ARK server. One of the things our players enjoyed the most - was flying swiftly around and enjoying the beauty of the game, then landing and working through land/water/cave/boss content at other times - all without taking forever to do so. These people work hard, have families to care for, and they only get a little bit of time here and there to enjoy a game like ARK.

@TheRightHand, I believe you truly want the best for ARK. However, this change is savagely tedious for those of us who don't have the ability to play ARK for hours and hours on end, day after day. None of us agree at all with the changes as they were implemented. Had you made the change a toggle, or adjustable at the server admin level, or much less brutal on the stamina/speed side for flyers, we'd have been fine. Removing the option to increase flight speed, and nerfing stamina so hard... those were the killing blow. More challenge was always good - making the game dangerous and difficult is awesome! Slowing the pace of the game to a crawl, and forcing endless, trivial content upon veteran players... is not awesome. It is the opposite of awesome. The 48% positive, 52% negative ratings for ARK on the Steam Store for the past 30 days is evidence that we are far from alone in our assessment of this update and how it was handled.

If "Classic Flyers" eventually becomes bug-free, and works as well as the flyers did prior to the nerf, perhaps some of the private servers like mine will remain with, or even return to ARK. My guild have all uninstalled ARK, and I know they have moved on permanently. I'm super disappointed, because I loved this game.. and now there is no longer a point to playing it, without my gaming guild of 17 years. Time for us to move on. I write these things, because I hope the information/thoughts of my guild will be of some use to the development team.

I wish the best for all the community, and good luck to WC's dev team.

Agree 100% with this.

For normal people who just want to enjoy the game and have nothing to do with PVP and don't have 15 hours a day to grind for resources the game has become impossible and pointless waste of time. This PVP melarky and changes forced upon us to fix that mess is killing the whole PVE , Singleplayer and private server community.
Ark is a very hard grind as it is with everything taking ridiculous amounts of time , but once one had a few flyers at least the grind became bearable and one could just enjoy the game.
Without flyers the best and most fun part of Ark is removed and it becomes an impossible grind that most players simply do not want to do. More fun to be had elsewhere in less time with less grind.
At least give settings at admin side for players who just want to enjoy the game to adjust this mess on their private servers to suit their needs.

10 minutes ago, monomania said:

That would kill the game straight away for me and a large group of people, Qs and platforms were what removed most of the tedious dull grind and made it bearable.

Rafts & Quetzals. To a degree even Brontos and Paracers... and Mosas & Plesios...

All of these represent alternative play styles to "Giant Metal Base". 

Personally I find it very sad that they do not expand on ideas that allow people - at least in PVE - to be true nomads.

I mean, even the tree houses are endangered if you don't build them out of metal. 

Instead raft-eating fishie. 

10 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Ffs WC if you can't deliver something within 24 hours don't say "tomorrow". Just sit on it until you can keep your word. How hard is it to be any good at service management?

Learn to read, see the asterisk?:

On 4/4/2017 at 5:01 AM, TheRightHand said:

The "New Values" will be in your patch tomorrow*. Afterwards, we will be watching for a few more days, and seeing how these changes play out in my own gameplay, in the live game, in overall metrics on the back-end, etc. Then we will do another pass with the rest of the team, and we'll continue to iterate until we feel everything is in a good place.

Feedback us! If you have some thoughts on where these are going and want to take your own shot at proposing some values, go for it. I'm glad to look over anything that gets proposed, as long as you've got some reasoning behind it.

This is not the final pass! We're going to be iterating on this internally and want your input as we go forwards. I'll try to do more of this stuff when we bring out large balance changes in the future, and do them beforehand, not after. It's a process, so it doesn't just end here. 

- The Right Hand

*Wildcard Times are subject to change or horrible inaccuracies.

3 minutes ago, Bugg said:

lol so their management of this issue is: just admit you're incompetent and the laypeople who don't understand how bad you are will point people to where you admitted it, instead of just doing it properly. Ok.

The majority of people understand that this is not life and death. It's just a video game.

Unfortunately you've got people who are unhappy if they don't give a date for something, even when attempting to temper expectation by saying it'll possibly be subject to a delay based on how things go. You've then got the people (which you are one of) who get annoyed when they don't deliver something on time, despite saying they may miss that time due to any number of unforeseen reasons.

They can't win either way.

They can follow industry best practices and mitigate the outrage instead of doing the opposite every single time and stoking the flames. I don't mind waiting an extra day or three. I'm not mad because I have to wait. I'm mad because I do this for a living and these guys are raptoring terrible at managing their changes and communicating them to the user. I'm annoyed at how painfully unprofessional their operation is. 

I made this account just to post this one comment. So you know it's of some significance. (At least to me)

*Worth the read for any serious player / interested party*
Current (v256.1) (2017-04-01)

One of the worst updates and optimization I've seen in any game, and the update went live April 1st. (? :D Joke)

With more Negitive Reviews on this game in less then 24 hours to drop "Mostly Positive" to "Mixed" and it's only going down hill until this joke gets put to rest.

Roll back, once again. 36 Hours. Go back to brainstorming. (<--- Needs to be done)

50,000-70,000 Players avg online (day)
35,000-45,000 Players avg online (night)

Probably more due to weekend + boosted rates on weekends and it's been dropping since the update, already below 30,000

Vaults ~ NO
Flyers ~ NO

Don't come out with a system that forces you to put months of work into to completely tear it down with one update.
(I.e breeding countless generations, thousands of hours, missed sleep, failed relationships)

This is a failed attempt at
A.) A Joke
B.) Teleporter incentive 
C.) Providing valid and useful content in anyway.

Look at the mods. Look at what people, smart people, thoughtful people. People that play the game, know the game DO WITH THE GAME.

First you take our Rockets. Then you rip up our prized Blueprints. And now, you replace our rustic HUD with this labyrinthine of useless information and then...sniff...sniff.. YOU CLIPPED THEM..OUR BIRDS....AND MADE PENS OR SOME CRAP FOR HARRY POTTER FAN FICTION.

Worst free game out there.

Oh wait, it's not free I forgot, you needed to PAY to waste your time haha.

If you're thinking about buying Ark, try waiting until the reviews get better. You'd have more fun clicking on *Link has Been Removed* then playing it right now.

________________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________________
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***New Info*** (Update Review) 2017-04-05

"There were many PvP implications in flier speed, not only did it make snatching, C4 bombing, and Quetz Grenading huge, easy issues, but it had underlying repercussions in the overall pvp gameplay space with regards to trivializing the land dinos which we actually want to see in battle, and giving people the option to remain endlessly airborne with giant mobile chaingun/gatling/rocket platforms high above the world and out of range of any threats.

There were also PvE implications. The ground game was essentially trivialized. You could live on the back of a Quetz perpetually after getting one, never even having to land... ever, really. 80% of the game was easily ignored because the air is safer, more straightforward, etc."

The above was said by the Senior Gameplay Designer.

This is in regards to Flyers. However. You could say the same thing about rafts.

You can stay on a Raft forever, ignoring the land and missing out on 80% of the game, or more. And you'd never, ever have to to go land. (Not true, as you'd need resources and food / water (if in air) and the latter if you were on a raft.

What about all the bugs rafts made? Getting outside the map, spawning in players bases, cluttering up the map, glitching your items into the world ect.

Having Flyers in the game, is the reason I bought the game. I'm fully aware of the fact this game is Early Access. However when I bought this game, Early Access was expected to end years ago, and this "change" that people are blaming on Early Access, happens long after the projected period that this game would be finished.

Don't make items (I.e Clusters / Rocket / Mini Turrets) if they BREAK your game.

"in the overall pvp game play space with regards to trivializing the land dinos which we actually want to see in battle"

Anyone that has played SOTF (Old School) before Birds in that mode were nerfed  about as hard as the game itself. Knows that Land Dinos win. Always. Without contest.

Rex Level 10 Beats Rex Level 1. And So on.

There is no skill in that. It's just who can tame the biggest and highest level Dino, or even in many cases breed the most god tier land Dino. And we can all agree it takes no skill to tame. Or very little (I should know, it's one of my favorite things to do)

Flyers is the game. It's not just some "Meta" it's the whole game. The world, map, everything revolves around the ability to fly. That is how the game was made, and now they're saying since they've added new content (Like Cluster nades, Platform Saddles, Rocket / Mini Turrets) that Flyers are broken.

How about you look into the implication of those additions vs breaking your game.

Land Dinos collect resources. But when you go and add Dinos, like the Theri you break the whole chain.

When is the last time anyone ever needed a Mammoth. Or a Berrie Collector. Or even a Meat Collector. Or Fiber Collector.

Ape was a hard tame, hard to get one that can defend itself. (Fiber)
Thatch (Weak tame, good for a single thing i.e thatch, and that is it)
Beaver / Mammoth (Good for wood, Beaver serious out did the mammoth, making it useless) (Then the pair were trumped by the Theri)
Rex or any other meat collector. (Trumped by Theri)

Even a low level 15 Theri leveled up into Power, can collect enough meat and battle 99% things in the south. As well as collect enough Fiber for a Alphas tribes needs. 

You say you want to see Land Dinos in PVP and more use in PVE to prevent people from playing the game THEY WANT TO PLAY. The key word is "You" We don't need "You" to chose how we play an Open World / Sandbox game.

If people want to sit in the sky, and rule the damn clouds, who the cares. Let them. 

This is no longer a mystery it's a fact. They're trying to control the way we play the game and I bought a Sandbox / Open World game. Not a Paint-By-Number.

"Open world, free roam, or (more loosely) sandbox are terms for video games where a player can move freely through a virtual world and is given considerable freedom in regard to how and when to approach particular objectives, as opposed to other video games that have a more linear structure to their gameplay"

You want to fix your game? Then do it. Just don't break the core gameplay of it as an attempt to fix your failed ideas and desires. You're breaking the foundation of your otherwise great game. And I won't be apart of it.

Now lets see if I can get a refund on this game.

19 minutes ago, TranqRex said:

The majority of people understand that this is not life and death. It's just a video game.

Unfortunately you've got people who are unhappy if they don't give a date for something, even when attempting to temper expectation by saying it'll possibly be subject to a delay based on how things go. You've then got the people (which you are one of) who get annoyed when they don't deliver something on time, despite saying they may miss that time due to any number of unforeseen reasons.

They can't win either way.

Your arrogance is ugly and dubious...

Nobody asked for time date... We asked for for "rectification"/rebalance, that's all. They gave us "dates/times"....

Learn to read.........

I can really relate your comment about PVP aswell as PVE.

However, that being said, i have found the approach you as Wildcard took in enforcing this rather belitteling.

Why did this enforce needed? Was it not more interesting to enforce this speed/stamina/other cap yes, but have this as a serveroption added to be altered?

Me personally, i'm running a pvp/pve server and with a tweak some aspects get more challenging.

Our animals are max wild level 600 spawns.

Current speed limitations that are fixed will without doubt kill more then a little gameplay.

The Island maps, very hard to even tame a Quetz (that never lands)

On Scorched earth the wyverns can not be outrun, stealing eggs is probably an impossible task, wyverns cant be tamed, knocking them will envoke a very high speed land aimal to get a wyvern into a pen to knock it down for its milk.

In see indeed more challenges, but also more aggrevation in the game for it.

As you probably agree that there is stil ALOT to be tweaked, the flyier nerf could have been delt with better with an optional servertweak as with stamina etc.

I really hope this optional servertweak will be coming, currently i have lost about 50% of people gaming Ark al together because of this tweak.

Hello ARK Development

I completely understand why you made this nerf to fliers, but there was some post by a dev somewhere on one topic where he said, you guys wants us to have an option to how we want to play the game, regardless to your changes you made and what you want people to focus on. I don't really see this here, you basically forced us in your way with no alternative to adjust it ourselves to the point we see it fit for us. Due to PVP players abusing fliers too much this nerf was pushed in, and PVE players gets punished the most where they just wanna enjoy the game the way they like it. So if you say you want us to have an option then allow us to set our own base stats for specific dinos?

I own a private server, I play with 2 other people, for about a year. So we have no PVP drama there, we play PVE, build, breed, tame, explore. We're highly upset over this change, flying around was the most enjoyable thing, but I'm personally more upset because we spend hours of our time to look for many perfectly tamed fliers to breed the best dinos, we got notes with all stats logged down on best dinos tamed and those notes are now all outdated and wrong due to stat changes. This just killed our hard work and the will to continue.

We currently play on Scorched Earth, being annoyed over Wyverns as well but trying to focus building the base while waiting for this change to go back to what it was or at least an option to adjust it to our satisfaction. I'm literally refusing to switch to either Center or Ark map anymore as I'm scared all my dinos with get their stats destroyed and points put back and some people reported they didn't even get those at some of their birds. So I'm suck with 1 map now as I don't want my hardest work on other 2 maps to be corrupted.

So can any devs tell me their view on allowing us PVE players to adjust dino's speed stats for ourselves? Like you can keep it at 100% locked if you want but allow us to change base to be like if it had 200% speed for example. Or if you find any better alternatives I'm all up for it, but PLEASE, let us make our own settings for how WE want to play and keep your ways for the official servers. If you really want us to enjoy your game please provide us at least this or I think even I will lose the mood for this game. I was so pumped to do a lot of things just a day before this patch, planned to hatch wyverns which i couldn't get the will for months and now when I finally did, this patch happens... now I'm scared if I do so and you're reverting your patch my wyverns will be bugged with old speed or what ever. So how can I even find the will to do it now? Specially when all i can do is fly for short time and rest, can't even use attacks as you're grounded instantly. Not to mention how can anyone starting the game even get one egg from nests where argys aren't fast enough to outrun anything. You broke a lot of things that were working perfectly fine before :S.

Hoping to get a respond as I dont know what to do at this point. I'm just waiting and wasting my time and I JUST paid for my server, kinda wishing I didn't, I only play atm doing random stuff as I don't want my money to go to waste for the paid server. Or else I'd be playing other games until you'd sort your game out.

2 hours ago, Br0nk0 said:

Hey guys...

I am still trying hard to understand this nerf. I read the whole article of TheRightHand, but still don't get it.

Maybe it is because I am a PvE player...

I could imagine, that there are some reasons to make nerfs to flyers at PvP servers, because they cause some problems and need to be balanced. But I still can't understand the thing with PvE. I never saw a player just living on a Quetz. But also if I would see, where is the problem? If someone ones to live on a Quetz, I think it is ok. Why not?

I can understand that you say that the moment you get a flyer, you rule the world. But where is the problem? I think it is always a milestone to get fliers. It is necessary to have milestones, to keep up the motivation to play a game for a longer time.

Also I can't understand the way WC is acting with that nerf. The fliers at the moment are nearly unusable. Now they are presenting a "buff" which will not change anything, so the fliers will still be unusable. I have played one hour since the update was released. Normally i play about 12 - 14 hours at a weekend. So my motivation is a little bit gone at the moment. I also like just flying around and exploring. So now it is hard to get to the Redwoods at the Center Map in just one flight without landing anyway. Is this seriously, what WC wants to reach with that nerf???

So I am thinking about some better options maybe to implement instead of this strange nerf.

1. Only implement this on PvP Servers, not on PvE Servers.

2. Give the private Servers an option to use "Classic Flyers" or "Nerfed Flyers". I think it would be just a server option.

3. If you have your roles of the fliers in your mind, why do we have any option to level up different values. Why don't we see that there is a level up and you choose the values for us. So normally we, the players can decide, which role we want for the dino. For example if I want an Argi to fight or if I want an Argi to fly quite fast to steal Wyvern eggs.

4. Remove the Quetz platform from the game.

5. Remove the ability to grab dinos for the fliers.

Ok... Wildcard, pls give us the fun factor back to the game... You are running in the wrong direction with nerfs like this in my opinion... I quit some other games, because the developers "balanced" the game until the fun factor was completely destroyed...

I think they meant the Quetz was just the better "no duh what are you a god damn idiot just take the Quetzal" choice for every other role in the game (aside from aquatic stuff). Still is in some places. Now, some roles are slightly loosened up, like Pteranodons being an okay but not ultimate choice in everything related to resource collecting. 

PvE I agree didn't need to have the nerf spill over to them. Then again PvE is WC's cuck mode that just gets the crap beaten out of it because it's not and never will be the main focus, and will probably just like Minecraft's PvP modes where tons of wacky and outlandish choices just cause it to be downright dumb without player and mod intervention.

I guess in WC's mind they wanted flyers to be a good, but not ultimately superior option. Argents are a massive advantage in taming and collecting (transporting wolves and beavers and such across the map), and Quetzals being able to carry/ferry pretty much everything with its Platform saddle and grabbing ability (bar some dinos). Plus yeah, flying Platform saddle? End-game perfection. Do literally anything you couldn't do with Bronto/Paracer/Mosa/Plesio.

They wanted to make land relevant again, and not have the game become Quetzals! (and sometimes an Ichthyo when I need pearls). 

I dunno Platform Quetzals just solve almost every problem and no other dino can do that.

16 hours ago, szabiferi said:

Ok, on the Center - where I play, try to get metal with paracers from the rich metal spots. Come on.. go to the Vulcan Island with them, or try to reach the top of the skull island where the metal and obsidian lies....And how about reaching The floating island... or the redwoods... huh? Mr clever smartguy?

Oh yeah.. now you will come, I have to use paracers, and put them on rafts, right?

And still... how having bronto invalidates the "poop" what I wrote. HAVE YOU TRIED THE QUETZ BASIC SPEED AFTER THE NERF? HEH? POOPWRITER!

build a raft and a closet too stuff things in..

I think the problem becomes time, people are going to spend hours getting metal where it took minutes before, people don't want to work in games all the time they want to have fun and this nerf is clearly stopping people from having fun. The devs need to play the game a bit with out admin codes and see how much fun it is to fly with a low/mid/high end bird, and then think would they want to do this...

1 minute ago, HAV1C said:

I think the problem becomes time, people are going to spend hours getting metal where it took minutes before, people don't want to work in games all the time they want to have fun and this nerf is clearly stopping people from having fun. The devs need to play the game a bit with out admin codes and see how much fun it is to fly with a low/mid/high end bird, and then think would they want to do this...

You hit the nail on the head, mate.

Balance is something, timesink is something other.

5 minutes ago, Ky0 said:

Your arrogance is ugly and dubious...

Nobody asked for time date... We asked for for "rectification"/rebalance, that's all. They gave use "dates/times"....

Learn to read.........

No idea what you're talking about. It's black and white, right there on the page - Bugg literally says if you can't deliver something within 24 hours don't say "tomorrow".

I was talking directly to him, referencing that specific circumstance. It's no arrogance, it's pointing out a simple fact that was written by the dev.

6 minutes ago, HAV1C said:

Were it took like 2 minutes fly time to get the metal from vulcanomountain in The Island map, now it takes about  5 minutes.

Doesnt seem that much, however if you need to go a couple times up and down, and you can only game like 1 or 2 hours a day, then 3 minutes (x2 since you need to go up and back) is alot in your 1-2 hrs game time per day.

This feels like daytime, where you ride to work and have that nice daily traffic jam, then to return home with the same.

And now you enter your fun game, to be as slow as in your traffic jam.

• Jatheish unfeatured, unpinned and locked this topic

Archived