Re-balancing the Fliers, Mk. 2!

TheRightHand

1 hour ago, TheRightHand said:

Wyvern - Lord of the skies. Low stamina, moderate move speed, poor agility, but extreme power and versatility. 

Ofc...

Lord of the skies...

You know that the usefulness/strenght of the wyvern is DIRECTLY coupled to its  stamina?
Only being able to breathe 2-3 times in total makes it USELESS.
Ppl used them to fight deathworms, alpha wyvern, other wyvern, the manticore, titanos (the biggest grief poop you have every implemented on pve) some even been capable and lucky to get a wyvern that can kill a golem.

All that is impossible now.

They have not even been OP on PVP regarding anything else than speed (was pure comedy, i think you made the wyvern so fast on purpose to have another reason to nerf the crap later, its like shops raising prices for 1 year and then doing a "big sale" where they lower the prices to 'just 70%' what is indeed 110% of the former price.

Same aplies to the nerf, you cut off someones feet and hands, then you say "but i will spoonfeed you, no worries" after.

We stayed up 4 DAYS OF OUR LIFES (some of us even MULTIPLE TIMES) to get a BADASS king of the air, the most wanted ENDGAME mount, the most versatile transporter/fighter/hunter/traveller, depending on how we skill em.
With the total nerf of the wyvern you destroyed the absolute most enjoyable mount in the game (that it SHOULD be).

And when i see your "low stamina, poor agility" bullcrap... nope... just nope...

Sure i could play a crazily modded private PVE (i actually have one running since 2 years, but currently its just for boss fight training), but how?
My playstyle involves having those hundrets of ppl on hundrets of different servers, since im trading and teaming up VERY much, i just CANT switch to a private server, i just dont enjoy playing with less than 100+ ppl, thats why i play MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE MULTISERVER ROLEPLAY SURVIVAL SANDBOX OPENWORLD GAMES.

Now, let me take a moment out to address all of you on a very serious note:

Don't ever let anyone tell you not to express yourself.

If you have a feeling, if something we did made you feel a certain way, express it. You are not wrong to feel that way. It is your own feeling, and you have every right to express it. I've seen a LOT of people telling each other what is and is not okay to express, and I don't really like that. We have to have thick skin to be developers. We know sometimes you just need to say a string of expletives at us. That's fine. It's not CONSTRUCTIVE, but it's fine. 

Since you said we are allowed to express our opinion, let me attach a carricature i made yesterday, im pretty curious if my post will get deleted again because some mod thinks freedom of art/speech is just "some thing from another world".
Again its a carricature, for those who dont know what it is:

"A caricature is a rendered image showing the features of its subject in a simplified or exaggerated way through sketching, pencil strokes, or through other artistic drawings."

Download.jpg

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There were also PvE implications. The ground game was essentially trivialized. You could live on the back of a Quetz perpetually after getting one, never even having to land... ever, really. 80% of the game was easily ignored because the air is safer, more straightforward, etc.

I really had to read this multiple times in order to actually process what you've just said there. Quetzals are by no means a beginners mount so I dont understand this logic. I could just find any rex and tame it with prime meat and I wouldnt have anything to worry about on the island except for Giga's and Titano's. Your main problem is that wild dinos were never any threat once you reach a certain point in the game. You guys are living in an illusion that once you touch the ground, you're in a certain danger of wild dinos around every square inch of the map. Flyers have seriously nothing to do with it. I can basically run out of stamina on my Quetzal, land for it to regenerate WHILE a wild Therizino attacks me and I still wouldnt be in trouble. All it does is increase the travel time.

I also feel like you have absolutely no clue on what the main roles for said flyers are for the majority of PVE'ers. If I want to destroy everything in my path, ill get a 150 giga/rex/allo/spino. But If i want to carry stuff from point a to b Ill get me a Quetzal/Argy. 

All in all a poor attempt at trying to balance PVE.

2 minutes ago, GoddessNyx said:

For a lot of us though, even walking around on foot we are in this "God state". So there's really no fear factor gained by removing flyers, just the tediousness of walking everywhere.

Yep.  The increased risk is nominal.  I've been killed more often by falling off my flyer than I have by anything on the ground. 

You haven't increased the risk by much at all.  You've just increased the time it takes to do something, and if I'm working on the ground I'm still using the same handful of utility dinos I was using before the nerf.  The useless ground dinos are still useless and once you have a Rex you still own the map.

13 minutes ago, Lucian said:

Your numbers don't add up. Take a look at the info on the steam database https://steamdb.info/app/346110/graphs/

Today had a HIGHER number of players that any Monday in the past month.

Maybe people are using Extinction and Classic Flyers mods and are playing again, that is also one way to take those numbers.

4 minutes ago, Robersdee said:

Are you high, I took an average day, 60k high and 30k low, if you average out a month those are the numbers roughly. It's like arguing about the colour of the gun that shot you.

You are arguing the wrong numbers. 30k and 60k are the high and low points of CONCURRENT players not total active players. 596,329 (from the same site) is the number of active players in the last two weeks. That is the number you need to compare the people subscribing the mod to.

1 minute ago, Lucian said:

You are arguing the wrong numbers. 30k and 60k are the high and low points of CONCURRENT players not total active players. 596,329 (from the same site) is the number of active players in the last two weeks. That is the number you need to compare the people subscribing the mod to.

Yeah you're missing the point or you simply don't understand. I'm using daily players on an average DAY, not difficult to understand really. 

9 minutes ago, Isho said:

I really had to read this multiple times in order to actually process what you've just said there. Quetzals are by no means a beginners mount so I dont understand this logic. I could just find any rex and tame it with prime meat and I wouldnt have anything to worry about on the island except for Giga's and Titano's. Your main problem is that wild dinos were never any threat once you reach a certain point in the game. You guys are living in an illusion that once you touch the ground, you're in a certain danger of wild dinos around every square inch of the map. Flyers have seriously nothing to do with it. I can basically run out of stamina on my Quetzal, land for it to regenerate WHILE a wild Therizino attacks me and I still wouldnt be in trouble. All it does is increase the travel time.

I also feel like you have absolutely no clue on what the main roles for said flyers are for the majority of PVE'ers. If I want to destroy everything in my path, ill get a 150 giga/rex/allo/spino. But If i want to carry stuff from point a to b Ill get me a Quetzal/Argy. 

All in all a poor attempt at trying to balance PVE.

He means you get to level 35, tame a Pteradon and suddenly your in 5th gear.

2 minutes ago, Probitas said:

Maybe people are using Extinction and Classic Flyers mods and are playing again, that is also one way to take those numbers.

Oh, I don't doubt that some are we just don't have the data for it. I just think its silly to compare the number of mod subscriptions to the average concurrent players instead of the total number of people who played recently. People are making it out like half the community is subscribed to it when they are using the wrong data. 

@TheRightHand

Can I ask a question to clarify the data?

The .05 under movement speed is an increase per level? Each level up the flyer increases in speed? .05 incrementaly increased per level?

Not part of the data but a suggestion/proposal:

What if a wild flyer would get points into speed after initial tame (not [just] after each level)? Tame a 150 and maybe a small chance a couple of those 150 points went into movement speed (Doesn't apply to stats as wild)? Probably very little stat boost (1-10%) but would add some sought after diversity to stat farming and tame hunting. I enjoy the fact flying has slowed down. Plus it would be a great opportunity to give players speed back in a unique manner. Speed is a luxury of the island, time is the investment. Maybe imprinting could also increase movement speed? Sure this rewards big tribes, but it creates a balance to speed without letting players turn their dinos into bullets.

4 minutes ago, Robersdee said:

Yeah you're missing the point or you simply don't understand. I'm using daily players on an average DAY, not difficult to understand really. 

No, you are using the average CONCURRENT players, not the total number of people who played that day. Not everyone plays in the same timezone or for the same amounts. Your data is fundamentally wrong because you are only looking at how many people were on at the same time at a given point. Its not even close to how many people actually played today.

13 minutes ago, Lucian said:

You realize you are doing the same thing by saying they are good as they were. You are forcing your ideas on the community as a whole.

Nope, I'm saying that your opinion about what you feel does not apply to all. Granted I can really only speak for myself, but I believe I also speak for many other PVE players who had absolutely no problems with high level pteros, barrlelrolls, heavy quetzes, etc.

All these issues are the result of PVP related problems on official. Allowing Unofficial and Solo players the ability to return to their enjoyment of the game has no bearing on your PVP on the official servers. And if you happen to game on Unofficial and the admin decides he likes to play the game with fast flyers, that means because it's his server he can do what he wants to it, just like WC can do what they like to their servers. The whole point of private servers and INI options was to let us play the way we want, as WC stated when they created server hosting tools. I don't want to think this next point, but it sounds as though some players are attempting to indirectly control Unofficials in a way that they wish even if the admins may not like it - which could cause an admin to simply shut down the server because he's not having fun anymore so why should anyone else ride his server anymore?

Well, I have a question.

It seems you removed the hidden speed value for flyers, where all tames waste some skill points. Or what is the cause for the levels lost? And I'm not talking about the skill points you can reallocate, but the level difference even when you spend all those points.

If this is the case, a fresh tamed level 150 flyer should have approx. 21 skill points more in all other stats, what makes them much better than the old ones. Would it be possible, to confirm/deny this statement?

Just now, Probitas said:

Nope, I'm saying that your opinion about what you feel does not apply to all. Granted I can really only speak for myself, but I believe I also speak for many other PVE players who had absolutely no problems with high level pteros, barrlelrolls, heavy quetzes, etc.

All these issues are the result of PVP related problems on official. Allowing Unofficial and Solo players the ability to return to their enjoyment of the game has no bearing on your PVP on the official servers. And if you happen to game on Unofficial and the admin decides he likes to play the game with fast flyers, that means because it's his server he can do what he wants to it, just like WC can do what they like to their servers. The whole point of private servers and INI options was to let us play the way we want, as WC stated when they created server hosting tools. I don't want to think this next point, but it sounds as though some players are attempting to indirectly control Unofficials in a way that they wish even if the admins may not like it - which could cause an admin to simply shut down the server because he's not having fun anymore so why should anyone else ride his server anymore?

Nice try. I run my own unofficial server since August of 2015. Its not all Official PVP problems. And one of the choices we should have as private server owners is to have it set to the same as official for the same experience.

And I never claimed to speak for everyone, only myself.

Hey here is an idea..... or well a couple....

First, let the people choose. Make the nerf optional, ini setting, a slider what ever, that way if you like to have a fast flyer join an unofficial server and persist the nerf on the officials. That way everyone can get what they want.

If you don't like the first how about making the saddle add additional stats to the tame. Primitive saddle does nothing, but red saddles gives like +5% to all stats or something.

7 minutes ago, Lucian said:

Oh, I don't doubt that some are we just don't have the data for it. I just think its silly to compare the number of mod subscriptions to the average concurrent players instead of the total number of people who played recently. People are making it out like half the community is subscribed to it when they are using the wrong data. 

Granted, but it's only been 4 days and there is such a thing as a casual player, and they don't game everyday. When they get to the game they'll see the issue and then decide what to do. It could take them a while as well as they may have guildies doing food runs. So it will take a few weeks for all the tumult to die down, and WC should be very grateful that people have made mods than can allow players to return to what the game was before p256 dropped. It takes much of the sting out of the nerf.

I'm on Xbox and we're dreading this nerf. With so many performance issues as there is this is the final straw for a lot of people on our server. I've never heard this many people so upset about a change. I play on an official pvp prim server and never have I once thought flyers should be nerfed. Apparently, this is a tech problem from reading the post so why not prevent C4/grenades from being used in the sky? You can even nerf the amount of items allowed to be placed on the Quetz platform. This current change will drastically slow down an already slow and grindy game.  A slight nerf would have been welcomed, but huge nerfs cause players to move on. Seems like the devs are out of touch with the bulk of the community imo.

This is just another weak attempt to explain why you swung a gigantic nerf hammer at the flyers. There is no excuse for making such sweeping changes other than not thinking things through. As someone who used to worship you guys back in 2015 I have to say you really switched to a trend of not listening and/or understanding what the game needs, what the community wants nor what simply makes sense.

You basically took a low-tech, uninteresting approach to getting people to use land dinos more. You know what would make me use land dinos more? Removing flyers. I'm not much of a survival game player. I saw the trailers back in 2014/early 2015 for ARK with the Pteras and I just loved the idea of being able to fly around and see a world from a different point of view. I think you need to respect that all dinos flyer, aquatic and land all have their roles and that players all have their preferences. There are those in my extended group of ARK friends that like flyers and those that prefer land dinos.

It's obvious all these comments about why you did a huge nerf instead of what anyone else in their right mind does, micronerfing, are just excuses. If they weren't, then ridiculous changes that don't affect me wouldn't also have been in this patch. I've seen a bit (not as much as flyers of course) of complaints about the Leedsicthys and how rafts are now completely pointless. It really speaks to my long-time belief that you guys just do whatever sounds cool and whatever seems easy.

In conclusion, @TheRightHand, please start showing your veteran players more respect and stop cramming in random content to keep people with zero attention span interested in your game. Start fixing small things like how unbelievably bad a lot of the terrain is (eg terrain that's like a 5 degree incline yet I can't make it up it vs an insane 85 degree incline I can somehow make it up). Or how about how many glitched supply beacons there are? Do you guys at Studio Wilcard honestly believe you can keep doing things like this and the game will have longevity after release? From the harvest clamp fiasco to the conniving release of Scorched Earth to now this almost out of the blue flyer nerf with zero innovation behind it, if things aren't better on release, I know a great many players that will be gone including myself.

PS - I still remember when aquatic/amphibious breeding was slated for shortly after initial breeding was finalized.

PPS - The only majorly busted thing in this game is really that technology is always far more important than your dinos. I'm super tired of reading these nicely written dino dossiers about a dino being a tribal companion and then every single dino is a tool and everyone's real favorite thing is an ascendant fabricated sniper or a journeyman assault rifle. The PvP in this game is based around turrets (from spamming turrets one one's base to putting turrets on platforms to raid). If anything needed balance it was and is bringing dinos as a whole back to the fore instead of being second to technology.

• Jatheish locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jatheish unfeatured, unpinned and locked this topic

Archived