Re-balancing the Fliers, Mk. 2!

TheRightHand

2 minutes ago, Robersdee said:

We know you've said, again and again and again and again. We GET IT.

Anyway @TheRightHand

Sorry but just not good enough buddy, as someone else already stated, the industry standard is to gradually increase/decrease until you reach a happy medium, not take a huge dump on alot of peoples hard work, 100's of hours of breeding, holidays from work to raise dragons (from a paid DLC no less for just that bit extra salt in the wound) just for you guys to obliterate this in the most destructive and controversial (and exclusively hated, save for a few shills on here) patch yet. Only for you to put on a massive discount and claim more players= success.

17 thousand people downloaded the "classic flyers mod" in 3 days.

35k average players today, so not including all those not playing modded you've basically pushed away half your players (allowing for a %  who play regular and don't use mods)

I just can't see any way of ANY company, let alone shareholders finding this acceptable. I have 2k hours solo in Ark, don't get me wrong this is by far and away my favorite game of the last two years, possibly longer and I've been gaming a long time (I'm 35 now) but you've just gone too far with this nerf.

The best approach at this moment would be to completely revert this, admit the fault and then slightly decrease certain areas of flyers until you come up with a happy medium. Alternatively keep everything as it is and go the approach your doing, small meaningless buffs, and watch your steam rating, forums (both here, steam and reddit) continue to shower negativity on the game. 

This damage control post is meaningless, the damage is done and you'll have to work extremely hard (and humbly) to regain your players and respect for how this was handled, not tiny buffs here and there after next to zero communication over the weekend (save for a few unnamed 'mods' calling us salty) 

It's just unacceptable, I'm not even angry anymore, I'm just going to be playing something else. Otherwise I will just log in and look at my Wyvern statue (it may as well be), that was 4 sleepless days wasted, a commitment to your wonky and questionable game mechanics. It's a shame you cant show this kind of commitment to your players. 

Your numbers don't add up. Take a look at the info on the steam database https://steamdb.info/app/346110/graphs/

Today had a HIGHER number of players that any Monday in the past month.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Zederia said:

his opinion is valid, fine. but we've heard it enough. in EVERY SINGLE thread about the nerf all he said is "leave it exactly how it is"

simple, you don't feed the troll. he's just trying to wind you up.

anyhow in PvE speak (3.4k hours playtime):

I think the devs have looked at this the wrong way. there is simply no incentive or cause for us to go to the ground. I mean, this is a survival game and players will tend to be safe at all times instead of taking unnecessary risks.

why do players take the risk to the seas? simple, there are incentives. you need pearls, black pearls, deep sea loot crate.

why do players take the risk to the cold north? simple, because there is pelt to be harvested, rhino horns to be collected

I remember players used to wade in the swamps, despite that it is not a very pleasant place to be, why? because there are cementing paste to be collected

placing your metal nodes only at mountains further encourages players to use flyers, isn't that obvious?

people use flyers mainly for scouting/ kiting (for taming)/ and transport. and they do not deliberately "trivialize" the content. in short, we are really doing what in the spirit of the game is: to survive and to survive is to minimise risk and that is exactly what players are doing. forcing people to land at inconvenient places exposes players to risk and make players waste more time, officials are still grindy even with the new rates. players have limited time and really hate to waste it, it basically demoralises people and rage quit. you will lose more players that way.

I am not a pvp player, but reading most of the rage comments, I guess it's because of ridiculous speed and ridiculous stamina and ability to pick players, I can't really give insight as I mainly play PvE. I guess the balance should be fine as long as it's not too uncomfortable in the PvE aspect.

also: it was worth noting that the previous giga nerf was pretty much ok the last time it was executed. I perceived that there was not that much rage compared to this nerf hammer. maybe something worth noting?

1 minute ago, Lucian said:

Your numbers don't add up. Take a look at the info on the steam database https://steamdb.info/app/346110/graphs/

Today had a HIGHER number of players that any Monday in the past month.

sorry I was 10k out, still very close anyway, peak of 60, low of 30 so average of 45k, my point still more than stands. I was being generous allowing 15% of those to be official players. 

3 minutes ago, Probitas said:

I added a bit to your post, because what you are claiming is that because you have a personal opinion of your game play that somehow makes it proper to apply that to the whole of the player base. This is incorrect. It is wrong for you and wrong for WC.

You realize you are doing the same thing by saying they are good as they were. You are forcing your ideas on the community as a whole.

10 minutes ago, Amnesty said:

I understand, I still feel that for the games sake and not realities sake this could be another alternative look at making fliers workable. a simple, you carry more, you have to take more breaks, just like any person or creature would have to in real life, if I carry all my shopping in one trip, i'ma probably be more tired afterwards then if I just did one bag at a time.

It may not be SOUND logic, but it's what I feel would be good/interesting to have :)

I wouldn't have a problem with that as long as it applies equally to all dinos. You can't cherry pick game mechanics, because that is unbalancing to a game as well.

4 minutes ago, Lucian said:

Actually the food and water thing kind of worked that way. Rain would refill my water bottle, and after the quetz killed a random dino, I would take the meat out and cook it. You really could on the back of one.

Haha fair point.. But the facts remain, there are far better solutions to the problems WC highlighted. Their lazy 'scatter gun' solution has negatively effected so many aspects of the game that didn't need changing so drastically

As some have stated before, the adjustments are good, but in my opinion, if quetzals aren't going to regen stam while dismounted in the air, then the quetzals in the wild should be required to land as well. If they are able to stay airborne indefinitely, there is no reason they should lose that ability once tamed.

I completely agree the fliers had this coming, they were just too powerful. There are two states I like to refer to in ark. The survival state which is early/mid game where you're just trying to get by and you need to be very wary of the many dangers around you. You die often in this state, but imo its also the most fun this game provides. Then there is the God state, this is late game where you're basically untouchable. You don't have to worry about anything on the map only other players if you're doing PvP. I've always felt the gateway between survival and god state has been fliers. Once you get some fliers, you have transcended beyond the majority of threats this game has to offer.

Fliers should be useful but they shouldn't have the massive game changing effect that they've historically had until now.

1 minute ago, Robersdee said:

sorry I was 10k out, still very close anyway, peak of 60, low of 30 so average of 45k, my point still more than stands. I was being generous allowing 15% of those to be official players. 

Actually, your point doesn't stand. You said they were pushing people away, but the historical data doesn't support that. Look at the players every day, set it to 1 month and you will see that their is a pattern to how people play during the week and the number of people is HIGHER for this day of the week then it has been in the past month.

If what you were claiming was true we would see a lower number for the number of players today.

People are still missing the point that flyers are not meant to be superior just an alternative. The devs have said this numerous times.

The reason for the nerf was players were just using flyers and nothing but flyers to achieve 90% of the things they needed to do. That is bad for gameplay, bad for balance, bad for immersion and bad for the survival aspect of the game.

1 minute ago, Deadman said:

I completely agree the fliers had this coming, they were just too powerful. There are two states I like to refer to in ark. The survival state which is early/mid game where you're just trying to get by and you need to be very wary of the many dangers around you. You die often in this state, but imo its also the most fun this game provides. Then there is the God state, this is late game where you're basically untouchable. You don't have to worry about anything on the map only other players if you're doing PvP. I've always felt the gateway between survival and god state has been fliers. Once you get some fliers, you have transcended beyond the majority of threats this game has to offer.

Fliers should be useful but they shouldn't have the massive game changing effect that they've historically had until now.

For a lot of us though, even walking around on foot we are in this "God state". So there's really no fear factor gained by removing flyers, just the tediousness of walking everywhere.

1 minute ago, Lucian said:

Actually, your point doesn't stand. You said they were pushing people away, but the historical data doesn't support that. Look at the players every day, set it to 1 month and you will see that their is a pattern to how people play during the week and the number of people is HIGHER for this day of the week then it has been in the past month.

If what you were claiming was true we would see a lower number for the number of players today.

Are you high, I took an average day, 60k high and 30k low, if you average out a month those are the numbers roughly. It's like arguing about the colour of the gun that shot you.

Thanks for the update guys.

Honestly I think the nerf was necessary, as the game got a lot less challenging after getting that first Pteranodon, not to speak about the first quetzal. I've played on a non-flyer server for a long time and I think that helped to make me realize how strong the flyers actually are.

I did have my doubts by the way you instantly made such a massive change, but after this explanation I can agree with it. Hope all the negativity doesn't bring down your motivation to balance the game. Good luck ^^

My main wyvern 211 (before 237lvl) now has 370 stamina! And 630% attack. This is enough for only one attack or fly 100 meters.
Now it is not possible to play. Wyverns like the other flying pets have broken down.

People have spent so much time on pets and they are all broken.
Cancel the change in stamina or reset all parameters (points spent), not just speed.

Allow players to change the parameters of pets due to such strong changes. You have radically changed the game, but do not let the pets change to a new balance. This is a mockery of the players!

@TheRightHand

just added this to my server message of the day because I just can't stand the game anymore 

it is with a sad heart that I regret to inform you. I just cannot keep the server up and running with my interest so little into it & I do not agree with what the Devs are doing with this game anymore and it's just not fun for me to play if you would like to contact me to run the server yourself so you do not lose anything you can find me here discord.gg/8TaPJ59 if you check or steam server group I will have a download so you can play the map in single player unless someone or something happens to change my mind the server will be taken down 5/01/2017 sorry I might be putting up a Minecraft server or something else so please feel free to tell me what you would like

I'm just so sick of changes like this it's not going to get fixed because they're still adding stuff they will add some more the game will break they will try to fix it but then again they'll add more that breaks more the fact of the matter is this wouldn't have made so many people mad if they just had a server setting so we can make it back to the way it was may be a setting you know that we could have so we could give Flyers the ability to speed up again if we wanted to as server owners

if you see this wild card just take a look at how many people already agree with my thoughts on the the updata I was a loyal fan have been with you from the start but enough is enough it would shock me if I actually got a reply to this from a dev not just kick to the side

http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/133261370000007840/?tscn=1491268239

11 minutes ago, Kayin said:

@TheRightHand I think you guys are going about this all wrong.     If you want people out of the skies,  do the same thing you did to rafts. and to oceans, and to land for that matter.    Introduce an untamable wild bird that will hunt and target player ridden birds.  And make them spawn often.  We need a Troodon of the sky.     Nobody's living on their quetzal when that happens.     

Make it the same speed as a Tapejara,  but the Ptera, Pela can outrun it.   Bigger strong birds have to fight it or land.  Give it a floor so the bird will not attack under the tree line or something. 

I also would say for movement speed,  let us level up to a cap of 200%.  Give back some of the stamina.  This will allow us to level our birds in a more custom manner vs all points into stam after hitting a minimum weight. 

That's my 2 cents. 

It's funny that you posted that. I remember thinking when pteros and quetzs were added that because I knew they were meat eaters that they be attacking players. I was really disappointed when they were skittish little hens. I doubt the real ones were so scared of their food.

• Jatheish locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jatheish unfeatured, unpinned and locked this topic

Archived