Flyer Nerf v2 will be good or even worst, Jen reaction on Steam

GEonWAR

Jen reacted on angry post over flyer nerf and also hint Flyer Nerf v2 coming

Jen  [developer] 
At the end of the day I truly believe players from both sides (for/against the nerf) have the same goal at heart. You want what's best for the game. The thing about that is that we all tend to have a slightly or even dramatically different idea of what exactly that means. I think everyone on the team realises that at the core of every frustrated poster is someone who enjoys the game and truly wants what is best for it. People are upset because they don't believe that we have made the right decision and we're taking it in a direction that not only ruins their previous play experience, but seeks to change their future play experience too. I totally get why that is super frustrating, especially if it's something they didn't want. 

I want to reassure everyone that your thoughts and ideas, complaints and critique, it is being heard. The loud and the quiet, we've been reading as much as humanly possible. The team have multiple spreadsheets setup that a bunch of us have been using to collect information and values on edits that we'd like to make in the coming days as part of v2 of the Flyer Nerf. 

One of the things I want to reiterate to everyone is that we iterate A LOT on ARK all the time. There are very few things set in stone outside the general outline or direction of the game. Things like this, they're simply numbers in code. Numbers can be easily tweaked and changed infinitely. The Flyer Nerf will stay, flyers won't be as they once were. However we are certainly throwing around ideas on how to improve things so that they are in the best place they can possibly be for both our vision of the game and player enjoyment and usability. 

ARK is our heart and soul, and we want to make it as fun and awesome for everyone as we possibly can. Sometimes that means trying significant changes so we can see where the holes are that need to be fixed to improve. I know often times it's difficult and not super fun. But changes like this are needed as we work towards the final release of ARK and as all of the pieces start fitting together. You are all important voices in the community and we take all of those voices into consideration when making decisions. We appreciate you guys a lot for your continuous feedback and for sticking with us as we go through these changes.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/133261370006738374/?ctp=3#c133261370006867823

da386067186dbc9cd34e5a82de838252.png

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Shrekasaurus said:

I have a feeling that flyers may be seeing more use down the road...

That's half the point. They literally can't make flyers any worse. They're already useless. If they nerf them more, they'll still be useless. No change. Half the population of the game may quit over it, but it won't change anything. Flyers have absolutely nothing to lose, and everything to gain. 

• Volunteer Moderator
4 minutes ago, GEonWAR said:

Well, yesterday she also tweeted that the nerfs was the best thing for the health of the game:

In the end it's what is best for the health of the game, despite how salty people may be about it in the beginning. It's expected.

Of course, she deleted that tweet afterword ( https://twitter.com/bubblywums/status/847967164799873025 ) because they want us to believe that they care about our opinions but they clearly don't. They are happy with the current values, and they will most likely not change. The message she posted today is just to damage-control the reviews bomb and reduce negative comments. 3/4 of my friend list that used to play ARK everyday was playing other games today. They are not realizing that a lot of players are no longer active as they used to be because of the sales that bringed a bunch of bobs and joes but once the sales are over, and that the vast majority of new players left (because they got bored of getting trooded), the metrics should reflect the real damage of the nerfs and they might start realizing the mistake they made (or not, since they are always right).

They stated in the following conference that they don't care about comments/reviews as long as the numbers are good: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024229/-ARK-Survival-Evolved-Lessons

So if you guys want to show them your frustration, go play something else for a couple days.

This is how fliers are currently- (see pic below)

Can't do much more other than pluck them.

Sounds like they are satisfied with the "numbers" so far. The issue is that those "numbers" represent the work that people have actually put in the game. Those "numbers" are pixels that people get to raise, name, and breed. They become more than just "numbers" to most players. I'm hoping those "numbers" get adjusted up and not down... again.

rimonthly_economy.jpg

1 minute ago, invincibleqc said:

Well, yesterday she also tweeted that the nerfs was the best thing for the health of the game:

Of course, she deleted that tweet afterword ( https://twitter.com/bubblywums/status/847967164799873025 ) because they want us to believe that they care about our opinions but they clearly don't. They are happy with the current values, and they will most likely not change. The message she posted today is just to damage-control the reviews bomb and reduce negative comments. 3/4 of my friend list that used to play ARK everyday was playing other games today. They are not realizing that a lot of players are no longer active as they used to be because of the sales that bringed a bunch of bobs and joes but once the sales are over, and that the vast majority of new players left (because they got bored of getting trooded), the metrics should reflect the real damage of the nerfs and they might start realizing the mistake they made (or not, since they are always right).

They stated in the following conference that they don't care about comments/reviews as long as the numbers are good: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024229/-ARK-Survival-Evolved-Lessons

So if you guys want to show them your frustration, go play something else for a couple days.

The player count is mostly stable after patch 256 but saw some new players complaining abt these changes and some asked refund. New patch hurting ARK sell not much but little bit.

What devs say to player also contradicting their own statement, yesterday after patch The Right hand mentioned abt buff later jat told offcial will be as it. So its really very confusing what going on. 

19 minutes ago, GEonWAR said:

Jen  [developer] 
At the end of the day I truly believe players from both sides (for/against the nerf) have the same goal at heart. You want what's best for the game. The thing about that is that we all tend to have a slightly or even dramatically different idea of what exactly that means. I think everyone on the team realises that at the core of every frustrated poster is someone who enjoys the game and truly wants what is best for it. People are upset because they don't believe that we have made the right decision and we're taking it in a direction that not only ruins their previous play experience, but seeks to change their future play experience too. I totally get why that is super frustrating, especially if it's something they didn't want. 

I want to reassure everyone that your thoughts and ideas, complaints and critique, it is being heard. The loud and the quiet, we've been reading as much as humanly possible. The team have multiple spreadsheets setup that a bunch of us have been using to collect information and values on edits that we'd like to make in the coming days as part of v2 of the Flyer Nerf. 

One of the things I want to reiterate to everyone is that we iterate A LOT on ARK all the time. There are very few things set in stone outside the general outline or direction of the game. Things like this, they're simply numbers in code. Numbers can be easily tweaked and changed infinitely. The Flyer Nerf will stay, flyers won't be as they once were. However we are certainly throwing around ideas on how to improve things so that they are in the best place they can possibly be for both our vision of the game and player enjoyment and usability. 

ARK is our heart and soul, and we want to make it as fun and awesome for everyone as we possibly can. Sometimes that means trying significant changes so we can see where the holes are that need to be fixed to improve. I know often times it's difficult and not super fun. But changes like this are needed as we work towards the final release of ARK and as all of the pieces start fitting together. You are all important voices in the community and we take all of those voices into consideration when making decisions. We appreciate you guys a lot for your continuous feedback and for sticking with us as we go through these changes.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/133261370006738374/?ctp=3#c133261370006867823

da386067186dbc9cd34e5a82de838252.png

Roughly reads as... We don't have a real plan for this game... that's the reason we're flailing about like we're blindfolded and in a maze... We really don't understand change management, and we're sorry that makes you uncomfortable, but that's the way we operate and we're really not going to try to get any better at it... thanks for being our whipping post, we're so glad you all love the abuse so much!  and please keep giving us your feedback because we know it makes you feel good to feel like you're being heard... what was that?  Oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't listening... you all are so super special and important to us! kthxbyeeeeee... ~.0  >^.^<

wow they actually truly believe this makes the game better?

unless a tech helicopter is to be release in the next recent week this really just makes no sense to me

my advice for wc is to create a 2nd game entirely thats based on survival but more tek focused. maybe have it set on a moon map

this makes way better sense financially because you have another product to sell instead of trying to make the original ark into something its not (having both dinosaurs and high end tek)

2 minutes ago, GEonWAR said:

The player count is mostly stable after patch 256 but saw some new players complaining abt these changes and some asked refund. New patch hurting ARK sell not much but little bit.

What devs say to player also contradicting their own statement, yesterday after patch The Right hand mentioned abt buff later jat told offcial will be as it. So its really very confusing what going on. 

To be fair, I don't even think the developers have a clear idea about what's going on. Their statements are all over the place. Jat saying that it was a "Well received" change, Jen saying...well whatever that was? TRH saying they will buff things. 

2 minutes ago, itdocman said:

Roughly reads as... We don't have a real plan for this game... that's the reason we're flailing about like we're blindfolded and in a maze... We really don't understand change management, and we're sorry that makes you uncomfortable, but that's the way we operate and we're really not going to try to get any better at it... thanks for being our whipping post, we're so glad you all love the abuse so much!  and please keep giving us your feedback because we know it makes you feel good to feel like you're being heard... what was that?  Oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't listening... you all are so super special and important to us! kthxbyeeeeee... ~.0  >^.^<

Just wait till the official wipe comes on release. This nerf will look lik a day at the beach ?

Just now, liavain said:

There will not be a Wipe.

You are playing the game with the "final data".

Ah man, I feel bad for you. I hope you realize that after that press release this month there is still a definite chance at a wipe. Think what you want and I am not saying you are wrong but if you think that there will 100% not be a wipe, you are probably in for a disappointment 

19 minutes ago, GEonWAR said:

How would new players even try all the flyers anyway lol. It's been only 2 days since the update lol. Surely all those new players have wyverns and quetzes now ;)

So much for listening to their playerbase. Go ahead, take the health too. It's not like anyone will notice, seeing as how fliers have now been reduced to space taking food drains in everyone's bases. I moved five to the second floor just to get them out of the main room since no one wants to touch them now. It made me physically ill. I felt the same way you would upon seeing your favorite grandparent dying of stage three aggressive cancer having someone help them go to the bathroom. It seriously brought that kind of feeling on me.

1 minute ago, ducttapefixeseverything said:

So much for listening to their playerbase. Go ahead, take the health too. It's not like anyone will notice, seeing as how fliers have now been reduced to space taking food drains in everyone's bases. I moved five to the second floor just to get them out of the main room since no one wants to touch them now. It made me physically ill. I felt the same way you would upon seeing your favorite grandparent dying of stage three aggressive cancer having someone help them go to the bathroom. It seriously brought that kind of feeling on me.

Maybe try a therapist, I heard they can help

1 hour ago, iAmE said:

That's half the point. They literally can't make flyers any worse. They're already useless. If they nerf them more, they'll still be useless. No change. Half the population of the game may quit over it, but it won't change anything. Flyers have absolutely nothing to lose, and everything to gain. 

1 hour ago, itdocman said:

I don't really think that will happen.

Also, this about them don't having any idea about what they are doing and making changes just to piss people off makes no sense of any kind. As a game dev they obviously want to create the best possible product. In any online game i have ever played, there has always been an influx of angry posts whenever a big change has been made, especially if it's a nerf of some kind.

I really don't understand what makes this nerf the apocalypse as so many of you seem to imply. Yes, flyers got hit hard, but they are still there, you are still able to ride them. The difference now is that they are no longer vastly superior the the remaining 90% of your dinos. Everyone used flyers for everything before, me included, like why would i ever use my slow-ass ankylo if i could just use my 1000 weight 200 speed argie and farm the same amount of metal in a fraction of the time

The real problem imo is how grindy the game is, and flyers massively helped cut the grind. What they need to do no is to cut crafting costs across the board, especially for consumables like bullets

Edit: I think this video explains it quite well, and i agree. Before this nerf, ARK was way too flier oriented, not just in PVP, but in PVE as well. 

Just now, ducttapefixeseverything said:

Shoo, troll. I know who you are. You are not welcome anywhere. Buzz off to your no tame server.

1. If you really got that sick from people not using the birds then that says something.

2. If you know who I am, you also know I am not going anywhere. 

3. No tame servers are awesome so that's not really saying anything bad.

Archived